The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 07:49:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

We Love Sammo!

Poll
Question: Your the Chairman....how long do you give Sammo?
Sacked Now - 8 (12.5%)
Wait until after Ipswich - 8 (12.5%)
Wait until after Gillingham - 22 (34.4%)
Give him the next few weeks - 11 (17.2%)
Re-evaluate after Christmas or later than that - 15 (23.4%)
Total Voters: 54

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We Love Sammo!  (Read 56755 times)
syd puddefoot

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #1460 on: May 02, 2011, 09:00:05 am »

You missed the point. Changing managers when he did was when Cardoza got it right, I'd hate to be still stuck with Sammo now waiting for the inevitable self implosion in the autumn when a new manager would have arrived and been stuck with a set of players contracted by his predecessor.

In other words, yet another wasted season.

We'll be at the right end of the table next season and you're going to love every minute of it.
Report Spam   Logged
HertsCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #1461 on: May 02, 2011, 09:09:13 am »

The only way you can say that, is if you assume that either he or Johnson was in control at any point. And that clearly isn't the case. We stayed in this league by luck, and not by design.

Had we played Stevenage at their place I'd confidently predict the goal that hit the line would have been allowed, and I doubt the sending offs would have been so easy for the ref without 5000 shouts for them. Johnson and Cardoza did fcuk all to keep us up. It was a baying crowd at Sixfields that did it. When Johnson does something that deserves credit, don't worry. He will get it.

Er, Stevenage had a similar shout for a goal at the Lamex and had a red card!
Report Spam   Logged
sxcobbler

Proudtobe.

View Profile
Mobile User Search Combination
« Reply #1462 on: May 02, 2011, 09:11:57 am »

Still a legend (as a player).....I hope he does get another football post soon.....
Report Spam   Logged

Let's show some Ambition !
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #1463 on: May 02, 2011, 10:05:16 am »

Most of that has already been done.

They say anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Surely having survived we and Gary Johnson in particular are in a much stronger position, he'll know exactly who to keep and who to ditch now and he'll know exactly what he needs to make our side strong enough to challenge near the top of this division. That was the benefit of him arriving when he did and not coming in pre-season or 6 weeks into the next campaign. Cardoza got this one spot on.
No. It couldn't be? Could it?!
Quite how you can consider anything at all about the past 2 months to be 'spot on' is beyond me.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
syd puddefoot

« Reply #1464 on: May 02, 2011, 10:11:15 am »

Okay, when do you think the change should have been made?

a) earlier than it was
b) when it was
c) At the end of this season
d) Six weeks into the new campaign
e) Not at all
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #1465 on: May 02, 2011, 10:31:24 am »

Perhaps the change should have happened when it did, it was the completley unprofessional, arrogant, naieve, no man management skills, bull in a china shop, passing the buck, complete lack of taking stock of the situation before making any changes actions that followed
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
syd puddefoot

« Reply #1466 on: May 02, 2011, 10:41:17 am »

Perhaps the change should have happened when it did, it was the completley unprofessional, arrogant, naieve, no man management skills, bull in a china shop, passing the buck, complete lack of taking stock of the situation before making any changes actions that followed

I actually agree with that to an extent, a large extent, however like I've said elsewhere, nobody but nobody thought we were in any danger whatsoever of being relegated when the change was made, including our chairman and manager. In hindsight they were wrong and so was everybody else but hindsight is a wonderful thing that allows the person using it to be right every time.

There was a thread on here (since locked) that raised the question, What if Johnson fails? Reread it again, you'll see posters on here lining up to say how silly it was and how it would never happen.
Report Spam   Logged
syd puddefoot

« Reply #1467 on: May 02, 2011, 10:43:08 am »

Hardly what you was saying... You said that Cardoza got it spot on. I'm pretty confident that even Cardoza was seriously doubting that prior to Stevenage... The whole season has been a disaster. And the appointment of Johnson and his comments were nearly the icing on the cake.

Some of the so called big cheeses on this board even fcuked off rapidly once they thought they thought we was doomed. Rats leaving a sinking ship indeed. 

I'm sure they will be back as brash as ever now we have escaped by the skin of our teeth.. Proclaiming that it was never in doubt. There are people that fickle yo know...  Cool

No I'm sorry, you mustn't try to change what people have said. The only thing that I implied was "spot on" was the timing of the change. The rest is all in your head.
Report Spam   Logged
syd puddefoot

« Reply #1468 on: May 02, 2011, 10:49:58 am »

Who said it was never in doubt?

Could you bring the post up?

I'm wondering whether there might have been one of these  Tongue  at the end of it.
Report Spam   Logged
Lanky Cobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #1469 on: May 02, 2011, 10:52:04 am »

Some of you are like your still in love with and ex girlfriend and cant let go. Nows the time to. GJ IS the man to take us forward
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #1470 on: May 02, 2011, 11:42:06 am »

Abso... bloody..lutely...

Let's just pray the new girlfriend sorts herself out.. She's been worse than the last so far..  Grin Grin Grin

Johnson as my full backing as long as he's good for the team..

Or to be more specific, it's been like leaving Jordan for Kate Middleton, only to find out she was Jodie Marsh in disguise.
Report Spam   Logged
wazzacobbler

Warrington Cobblers Supporters

View Profile WWW
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1471 on: May 02, 2011, 14:05:24 pm »

Now if Jodie Marsh was disguised as Pippa Middleton... well, I'd be well f*cked off!
Report Spam   Logged

Host and Producer of the It's All Cobblers To Me podcast
@CobblersToMe @charlescommins
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1472 on: May 03, 2011, 14:59:27 pm »

Sign of a true fan that Sammo turned up. A real shame it didn't work out for him as we all would have wanted as a manager. I agreed with the change of manager, like so many, but let's not be silly and blame Sammo for the almost disaster of relegation nor compare his side to whatever GJ builds, as it looks like the latter is going to be given a lot more financial support than Sammo was.
Report Spam   Logged
oop_north

« Reply #1473 on: May 03, 2011, 15:11:21 pm »

To be fair, they'd both be right.  Personally I blame GJ more for the mess we ended up in as under Sammo we'd have kept plodding along and probably been more comfortable towards the end of this season. Probably, but who can say with any certainty; that's just my gut feeling.  Ultimately though, I think that's all we'd have done under Sammo. I love the bloke to bits but under him I don't think we'd have really got anywhere beyond plodding along.  Under GJ I think we'll push on and make some decent progress.

I don't disagree we needed changes to improve as a side and GJ made those changes to the best of his ability, given the limited moves he could make when he came in.  He just changed too much, too quickly at the sharp end of the season and it nearly bit us on the behind.  With a pre season to shape the side and do the trial-and-error tinkering that nearly sent us down I still have every confidence that GJ will live up to our initial expectations.

Regardless of all that, I'm thrilled Sammo is still about and following us. I really, really wanted it to work out for him with us.  When he went for the job I was in two minds.  On the one hand, I wanted him to get it and do well but on the other I feared him getting it and not doing well.  Ultimately, I guess the second of those came to pass but we'll always have Anfield, and for that I'll never forget Sammo's reign. 

Cheers for that night and all the great memories of you as a player, Sammo, and here's hoping you get another manager's position before too long.  You deserve it.

Agree 100%.

It would be great if Sammo came back as assistant, until finding something better.  Only trouble is, would everyone (including GJ), blame him for ever slight hiccough?
Report Spam   Logged
oop_north

« Reply #1474 on: May 03, 2011, 15:17:46 pm »

Maybe it would have been better if the money given to GJ to get in the extra loan players had been given to Sammo to properly strengthen the team?  Despite the number of injuries lately, GJ has been able field a strong bench.  Remember under Sammo - so many times he had to field a bench full of the crocked, kids and Alistair Slowe......which basically meant he had no real options to change the team.  Anyone who could bend down to tie their bootlaces started. 

Report Spam   Logged
EastNpton

« Reply #1475 on: May 03, 2011, 16:33:07 pm »

Sammo was ok with accepting mediocrity and slowly working to change things

GJ is a superior coach with better contacts and won't accept mediocrity. You think Slowe would have been anywhere near the club under Johnson. The answer is no and quite rightly so
Report Spam   Logged
Cockney Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: May 03, 2011, 16:35:43 pm »

Maybe it would have been better if the money given to GJ to get in the extra loan players had been given to Sammo to properly strengthen the team?  Despite the number of injuries lately, GJ has been able field a strong bench.  Remember under Sammo - so many times he had to field a bench full of the crocked, kids and Alistair Slowe......which basically meant he had no real options to change the team.  Anyone who could bend down to tie their bootlaces started. 

In fairness Sammo did spend money in the January transfer window and then didn't really deliver any uplift in fortunes.  That being said I'm not really sure if it was right to sack Sammo when we did, sure we were going nowhere fast but bringing in Johnson only accelerated our demise.  I get the sentiment about giving the new guy pre-season and the retention period to get the club right, but surely the right time to have made such a change was when our league position was safe or when it was clear we were being sucked in to the relegation dogfight and not when we're flirting 10 points ahead of the drop zone and pissing distance of the play-offs which was the case with Sammo.

Don't get me wrong, I hope GJ gets us moving in the right direction and I think he is a good appointment but as far as I'm concerned he needs to build bridges after his disaster start which was entirely down to his own making.  Had we been relegated I'd have been pointing the finger squarely at GJ
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #1477 on: May 03, 2011, 21:01:13 pm »

Ian Sampson was a super player for NTFC, and rightly is regarded as a club legend.

However, he was a poor manager who should never have been appointed in the first place.

I have every confidence that Gary Johnson will recover from a sticky start and deliver a successful top 7 team next season.
Report Spam   Logged
syd puddefoot

« Reply #1478 on: May 03, 2011, 21:39:43 pm »

We've lost twice in the last 9 games.
Report Spam   Logged
Power Football

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1479 on: May 03, 2011, 21:55:10 pm »

It would be great if Sammo came back as assistant, until finding something better.

That has to be the single most stupid thing anybody has ever said on this forum.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: