The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 06:43:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Accrington game

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Accrington game  (Read 5656 times)
DL2

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2010, 17:24:31 pm »

At times a few signs of hope and on occassion unlucky.  Overall a tad less boring than the Torquay match.  At least today I felt like they were trying and the headless chickens had decided to stay at home.

Had Stanley's keeper not made a couple of good saves in the first half we might be reviewing the match through claret tinted sunglasses ... ummm I mean umbrellas ... bloody August and School holiday weather ... roll on September  Cool
Report Spam   Logged
Erith_Cobbler

« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2010, 17:25:40 pm »

If you're playing the same type of player (Osman and Wedderburn) in central-midfield, you need a certain amount of flair to unlock the opposition in wide areas. Not Gilligan.

Note: I don't hate him. Just a tactical observation.

The same Gilligan who unlocked Brighton's defence with a brilliant cross?
Report Spam   Logged
guest143

« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2010, 17:26:22 pm »

1st half was shocking, 2nd half we looked a lot better....
If we took our chances we would of won, simple as that.
Report Spam   Logged
Fred_NTFC

View Profile
Level 6 1000 Posts Search
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2010, 17:30:05 pm »

The same Gilligan who unlocked Brighton's defence with a brilliant cross?

I haven't been to the first two matches. I'm only going on what I've seen from today, and 90% of the other games where I've seen him start out wide. It was perfectly fair enough for Sammo to pick the same side that started on Tuesday night, but if I personally had a direct choice between Gilligan and Thornton, I wouldn't spend alot of time worrying about it. It's not a very difficult decision.
Report Spam   Logged

ntfcgavin

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2010, 18:09:32 pm »

Thought Gilligan was poor today and Thornton should have come on for him. With him coming on for Jacobs does this meen he will start ahead of him at Bury and Gilligan will be on the wing again  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

Queer eye for the Cobblers 🌈

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2010, 18:57:49 pm »

My first game so far... and in my honest opinion if we cannot beat Stanley at home then we will not do any good this year. I honestly believe we are trying to play too much football for the division we are in. The only way to get out of the bottom division is to bully your way out. We saw it in the Atkins era and also the Carr era.
It's all very well tip tapping around but it just does not get you anywhere especially in the conditions today. You have to keep it simple in this league. One incident that sticks out late in the game Holt went all the way up to take a long throw, big men lined up in the box... what happened? Short one to hall then square to Beckwith then a ball into feet of Osman who was now facing his own goal... field position and momentum lost! sasmmo sure didnt play like that so why is he trying to "over-manage" us by insisting on too much football.
Report Spam   Logged

Lending a queer eye on things 🌈
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2010, 00:04:58 am »

Accrington had done their homework on us and did a good job of nullifying the threat of Jacobs in midfield and McKay up front. We were sitting too deep for long periods and unlike pattcobb I'm all for the passing attractive football so long as there's enough outlets to make it work and enough support for those up front, which you simply don't have with a rigid 4-4-2. There's a reason all the top footballing sides in the modern game play with 5 in midfield and we have the quality to make it work. We did it in pre-season. Just look at the Watford game.
Report Spam   Logged

Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2010, 09:20:37 am »

Early days and all that but we don't want to be chasing the leading pack again.  Guinan worked hard enough yesterday but never looked liked scoring and lacks the pace to get behind a defence.  I can't see him ever scoring many goals for us.  We have all been saying and writing it for so long but we are desperate for a striker with pace and power.  Until then I think we may be disappointed this season.
Report Spam   Logged
The Hask
Martin Hasker

www.TeynAwayDays.com - Away travel for Cobblers

View Profile WWW
Webmaster Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2010, 11:13:40 am »

Early days and all that but we don't want to be chasing the leading pack again.  Guinan worked hard enough yesterday but never looked liked scoring and lacks the pace to get behind a defence.  I can't see him ever scoring many goals for us.  We have all been saying and writing it for so long but we are desperate for a striker with pace and power.  Until then I think we may be disappointed this season.

I think as long as we start quietly rising the table it will be fine, teams like Torquay who are out of the blocks first rarely go on and get success
Report Spam   Logged

www.teynawaydays.com Hotel End GTA Champion 2010/11 - Wearing the claret with pride.    X (Twitter) @martinhasker
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2010, 11:17:43 am »

I think as long as we start quietly rising the table it will be fine, teams like Torquay who are out of the blocks first rarely go on and get success
Don't tell Chelsea that  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
telboy2

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2010, 17:01:19 pm »

Agree on this one looked very lathargic till speedygonzales came on for last 5 mins
Report Spam   Logged
IzzyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2010, 21:35:01 pm »

This was my first game I've seen with the new team and I can't understand why everyone is so negative. the result was wrong yesterday. We should have won. If Mckay had scored his sitter then we would all be feeling pretty good. Stanyey were hopeless and we were all over them. We were technically better, brighter and had a lot more purpose about us.

Osman was fantasic yesterday except his for his passing, his tackling, effort and heading were superb for L2. A few more games to gel with the Tank Wedderburn and they could boss the midfield of every game. The defence had very little to do but what they did do was good, holt played well and JJ had a good game in my opinion.

Jacobs looks like an amazing prospect. I was really excited about seeing him and, although he isn't the finished article by anymeans, we all know he is going to be great. Cruyff turn in the first ten seconds to rag their right back - magical. I went to the Emirates Cup and saw Michel Bastos, Rosicky and Aiden McGeady show off their silkys and he was just as good.

Guinan did a lot better than I have ever seen him before. Ridiculous amount of stick from morons. We have had a lot worse strikers wearing the Claret and Blue. He is old and immobile but gave everything for the team yesterday and I think he did well.

McKay looks a class above the rest of the team. Gilly found it tough but put alot of effort in. Again, one bad touch and BAM! all the 'fans' around me are slating him. Idiots.

Thornton showed a bit of class when he came on and Purcell showed some nice touches. He needs to start with McKay. Simple.

If we can play that type of footy all season I'd be happy. I'm sick of over-optimism and long ball games.
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2010, 22:01:34 pm »

Guinan did a lot better than I have ever seen him before. Ridiculous amount of stick from morons. We have had a lot worse strikers wearing the Claret and Blue.

Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

TheBigPicture

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2010, 22:12:30 pm »

...West ham?
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2010, 22:15:00 pm »

West Ham have had far worse strikers than Guinan? Now I'm really confused... Wink
Report Spam   Logged

IzzyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2010, 22:17:04 pm »

Cheesy Cheesy :DThat's what happens when you type watching MOTD2. Hmmmmmm. My bad.
Report Spam   Logged
DustCobb

« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2010, 07:57:10 am »

Have a look at the table....we're already playing catch up!
Report Spam   Logged
88wedders

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2010, 10:09:07 am »

My first game so far... and in my honest opinion if we cannot beat Stanley at home then we will not do any good this year. I honestly believe we are trying to play too much football for the division we are in.
last year we couldn't beat macclesfield but we managed to climb up the table. Everyone has their share of bad results, hopefully this is one of the very few we have this season Smiley Its early days i dont think we should read into it too much we have plently of games to win Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2010, 10:44:46 am »

My first game so far... and in my honest opinion if we cannot beat Stanley at home then we will not do any good this year. I honestly believe we are trying to play too much football for the division we are in. The only way to get out of the bottom division is to bully your way out. We saw it in the Atkins era and also the Carr era.
It's all very well tip tapping around but it just does not get you anywhere especially in the conditions today. You have to keep it simple in this league. One incident that sticks out late in the game Holt went all the way up to take a long throw, big men lined up in the box... what happened? Short one to hall then square to Beckwith then a ball into feet of Osman who was now facing his own goal... field position and momentum lost! sasmmo sure didnt play like that so why is he trying to "over-manage" us by insisting on too much football.

That posting is so wrong in so many ways.
Report Spam   Logged
88wedders

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2010, 12:03:39 pm »

That posting is so wrong in so many ways.
Agreed.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: