The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 21:41:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Brighton game

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brighton game  (Read 6904 times)
The South Side

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2010, 10:44:14 am »

to me guinan looked like an old man struggling with the pace of the game..........spent most of the first half moaning at the referee because his first touch had let him down again.

he did get better second half, but that isnt saying much.

then again, after purcells 20 minute horror show we can see why guinan is starting.

which means we need a loan striker in ASAP.

I almost agree. I certainly agree about Guinan, who did indeed spend most of the first half moaning at the referee - probably frustrated at his own shortcomings.

Couldn't see that Purcell brought anything to the party when he came on. I fear we may have bought a pig in a poke, but it's early days.

McKay, on the other hand, seems to have developed a bit more strength and worked his socks off last night. Great finish for his goal too.

My two worries, based on last night are:

We may need another striker.
Holt at CB worries me.
Report Spam   Logged
Baldy

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Combination
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2010, 15:45:32 pm »

Guinan tried hard. No faulting his effort but he just wasn't very good, bless him. Michael Jacxobs was exciting to watch. Very few Cobblers players over the years have been like that. When he got the ball I always expected something to happen. It didn't work out every time but he was always looking to run at players and take them on. I was really impressed with Wedderburn as well. Tough, gritty, niggly and not afraid to put himself about. The defence looked solid as well. The whole evening gave me a very good feeling.
Report Spam   Logged
abington_cobbler

« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2010, 15:48:42 pm »

I thought Guinan had a great game tonight. He battled for every ball and some of his link-up play was superb. Yet he still came in for stick from certain areas of the crowd. It's said really, and I hope he doesn't think the odd moron represents the entire fanbase because I certainly appreciated his contribution to the team tonight.

Billy McKay looks to have improved even more, I think he could be one of our most important players this season.

Gilligan put in two sublime crosses and was much more positive with the ball than he usually is. I'd like to see him on the right a bit more this season.

Michael Jacobs looks like a definite starter from here on in. His delivery and distribution is a joy to behold, and he looks like he'll chip in with a fair few goals as well.

Not going to go overboard after this win though. I thought Brighton were dreadful and made it easy for us to play. But it's a step in the right direction after Saturday, and hopefully Accrington will be put to the sword this weekend.

I thought a small number of Cobblers fans were a disgrace last night. First of all they were booing when certain players were read out before kick off. In the 2nd half when Gilligan and Guinan were substituted a small number of fans were booing them off the pitch despite both putting in good performances.  Also when Brighton player Navarro was injured it was clear it was a bad injury and he was in alot of pain some fans (towards away end of west stand) were clapping as if they were wasting time. The Brighton fans were chanting 'wankers' at them and who could argue with that?
Report Spam   Logged
DustCobb

« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2010, 16:19:51 pm »

I thought a small number of Cobblers fans were a disgrace last night. First of all they were booing when certain players were read out before kick off. In the 2nd half when Gilligan and Guinan were substituted a small number of fans were booing them off the pitch despite both putting in good performances.  Also when Brighton player Navarro was injured it was clear it was a bad injury and he was in alot of pain some fans (towards away end of west stand) were clapping as if they were wasting time. The Brighton fans were chanting 'wankers' at them and who could argue with that?

Fully agree. I was sat right near a group of them as it happens. They were singing a fair bit and having a good time, but their abuse of Guinan was very silly and their clapping and 'let him die' when Navarro was injured was a disgrace.
Report Spam   Logged
4everdelayed

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2010, 16:31:21 pm »

Where I was sat Navarro got an ovation as he was carried off, I did hear some of the abuse from the away end but that's just what happens at football, I think the ovation made up for it. Similarly, Gilligan got a standing ovation from a lot of our fans as he came off and Guinan was roundly applauded as he warmed down in front of the west stand. I think, for better or worse, it's nice to hear a bit of noise from the fans rather than the usual crickets chirping.
Report Spam   Logged
MKMal

View Profile
Mobile User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2010, 16:35:41 pm »

to me guinan looked like an old man struggling with the pace of the game..........spent most of the first half moaning at the referee because his first touch had let him down again.

No wonder he spent most of his time moaning at the ref. Everytime he got the ball their number 6 (El something) went straight through him. I thought he wasn't outstanding, but he did his job in a professional manner.
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2010, 16:36:24 pm »

Take it you were one of them then
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
brickowski

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2010, 16:45:48 pm »

Thought Guinan was fine, and actually a pretty good foil for air Billy.
Report Spam   Logged

there's only one Robbie Curtis
PineWoody

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 4
« Reply #128 on: August 11, 2010, 17:05:18 pm »

I think South Side summed up my views nicely despite last night, Holt at CB still worries me as does our lack of a strike-force.

But I don't like to get stuck on the negatives when there were so many positives from last night. The midfield in general was class, with Wedderburn more than showing Sammo he was wrong in not starting him in the league and Gilligan proving a bit of a revelation on the right wing. (As an aside, Gilligan doesn't help himself, he got a great reception when he came off last night, fans singing his name etc, and he just walked off in a complete sulk, thats not going to endear you to anyone, not that I care that he doesn't clap, but then he wonders if fans like him?)

Mckay looked very bright again, but I do still have concerns about whether old fashioned, tough league 2 defenders will simply be too strong for him. I hate Guinana and simply cannot understand how he is a first choice striker for us, in my opinion, he offers next to nothing, but having said that,  do remember saying to my mate I thought he played well last night or at least better than usual.

Need to back this good performance up with our first league 2 points on Saturday.
Report Spam   Logged

GTA Champion - Season 09/10
4everdelayed

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2010, 17:11:40 pm »

If I remember correctly Holt got caught out big time toward the end, when the ball just went right through his legs as he went to clear it. Missed a couple of headers too but aside from that he looked alright.
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2010, 12:59:27 pm »

Where I was sat Navarro got an ovation as he was carried off, I did hear some of the abuse from the away end but that's just what happens at football, I think the ovation made up for it. Similarly, Gilligan got a standing ovation from a lot of our fans as he came off and Guinan was roundly applauded as he warmed down in front of the west stand. I think, for better or worse, it's nice to hear a bit of noise from the fans rather than the usual crickets chirping.

What he said. I think when people realised Navarro was actually seriously injured the sarcastic clapping and abuse stopped, and the whole of the west stand down to the last fan applauded him off. Generally speaking the atmosphere was very good on Tuesday, probably as much down to the fact everyone was under one roof as anything. Come Saturday we'll have half of the singers back in the north stand again and any kind of atmosphere will be fractured and about 80 Accrington fans will outsing us, just like last season. Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

ntfc_alex

Andy Holt is a god

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2010, 13:05:18 pm »

I thought the abuse of Navarro was in response to the Brighton fan's chanting cheat at JJ when he was down injured.
Report Spam   Logged
Tyler

Back when we were good...

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2010, 13:06:32 pm »

I thought the abuse of Navarro was in response to the Brighton fan's chanting cheat at JJ when he was down injured.

I thought it was idiots trying to be funny.
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2010, 14:27:18 pm »

Thought Guinan was fine, and actually a pretty good foil for air Billy.

As I said on the Accrington thread, Guinan had a good game by his standards but he was still one of the worst Cobblers players on the park. You can't question the effort but he can't seem to do any of the things you want your big centre-forward to do. He can't hold the ball up, his heading is usually poor, he doesn't score goals (unless he's playing Buckby or Nuneaton), he can't pick out his strike partner and often loses the ball, and to cap it off he's an easy one to mark- a good target man should be a nightmare for defenders but Guinan just isn't. It's frustrating to see him in the side ahead of Purcell when we all know Purcell is more likely to pose a threat.
Report Spam   Logged

abington_cobbler

« Reply #134 on: August 12, 2010, 14:54:47 pm »

What he said. I think when people realised Navarro was actually seriously injured the sarcastic clapping and abuse stopped, and the whole of the west stand down to the last fan applauded him off. Generally speaking the atmosphere was very good on Tuesday, probably as much down to the fact everyone was under one roof as anything. Come Saturday we'll have half of the singers back in the north stand again and any kind of atmosphere will be fractured and about 80 Accrington fans will outsing us, just like last season. Roll Eyes

I was sitting right in front of where Navarro was injured and I heard the clapping while he was having his leg put in the brace.

I have just seen on SSN (and confirmed on Brightons official site) that Navarro is likely to miss most of the season as he has suffered a rupture to the cruciate ligament.  I hope the surgery goes well and he gets back to playing as soon as possible.

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/page/Latest/0,,10433~2119074,00.html
Report Spam   Logged
HertsCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2010, 20:32:34 pm »

I think we were linked with him last season?  Not a nice injury.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: