The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 14:34:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

24th March - Plymouth BIGGEST GAME FOR YEARS

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 24th March - Plymouth BIGGEST GAME FOR YEARS  (Read 8378 times)
SmithyNTFC

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2012, 17:56:25 pm »

With such a big crowd, did we perform?

No. First half both teams looked nervous and scared to up it a gear to get in front but 2nd half was better. Apart from Plymouths freekick that hit the bar, its as good as it good

Disappointing stuff, but hey ho another clean sheet, point gained and we didnt let Plymouth win
Report Spam   Logged
Bog Paper

Lavatory Paper Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2012, 18:23:57 pm »

Thought we were poor today. Too many players didn't perform. First 10-15 minutes I thought we were going to blow them away and then we went back into our shells and showed little ambition to win the game. Our set pieces were shocking: poor corners and questionable decisions over free kicks. There was on that was gagging to be hit by Harding from the right side of the area but instead Jacobs blasted it into the wall; then second half we had one that had a Jacobs curler written all over it from the left side of the area, only for Harding to drift a poor cross over.

Williams was often isolated up front; the right back Berry had Jacobs in his pocket all day; Silva ducked out of challenge after challenge and Guttridge struggled to get into the game. I thought we looked like the away side in the second half and it seemed to me that Boothroyd had set his stall out in this game not to lose.

I did say before the game I'd have taken a point but have to say I don't much care for the way in which it was gained. Greater ambition could have seen us grab all 3 points today.
Report Spam   Logged

It has to be "B"
Another big smile on my face. I always get the big decisions right.

Couldn't be happier, you can all blame me if it turns pear shaped. Up next year without a doubt and no need of the play-offs.
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2012, 18:30:59 pm »

Happy with point. Better for us than them, keeps the gap. Charles was defensively solid but doesn't offer any attacking impetus. Bring on next game.
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2012, 20:57:29 pm »

Point taken.  But that was a dreadful advert for Div 2 football.  I didn't realise that George Berry was wearing our number 3 shirt today. Or at least his mullet was.
Report Spam   Logged
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2012, 20:58:27 pm »

We started brightly but Plymouth had set out to frustrate us and came for the draw. They were well organised and we found it difficult to break them down and quickly ran out of ideas. Silva and Jacobs were well marshalled, when ever Jacobs got the better of Berry, their centre back was quick to cover. Argyle could have snatched it at the end but overall a point each was a fair result, one that I think both camps will be happy with.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
guest47

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2012, 23:10:06 pm »

I didn't realise that George Berry was wearing our number 3 shirt today. Or at least his mullet was.

Haha! Or even Darnell Turner
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2012, 01:46:06 am »

we always do crap in front of a packed Sixfields..
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
County Cobbler

« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2012, 07:44:04 am »

I think it showed that AB's first priority for next season is TWO strikers, because with Bayo injured there were no options to hold the ball up and bring in the midfielders and definately no chance of scoring a goal in open play.
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2012, 07:55:53 am »

I think it showed that AB's first priority for next season is TWO strikers, because with Bayo injured there were no options to hold the ball up and bring in the midfielders and definately no chance of scoring a goal in open play.

We carry little threat through the centre of midfield either.  I don't think Harding and Guttridge are the answer.  We'll also need a right winger when Silva departs. And maybe for Jacobs too.  We'll see just how much work AB has to do over the next few weeks against the top teams.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2012, 08:46:52 am »

We carry little threat through the centre of midfield either.  I don't think Harding and Guttridge are the answer.
Seems a bit harsh, other than Carlisle helping to improve our abject defence, for me the change in midfield has been the biggest factor in our improved form. We have looked a little toothless recently but I think that is just down to losing Bayo and also AB taking a more defence approach to games.
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2012, 10:39:31 am »

We're defensively a big improvement especially playing Tozer in front of the four.  However, if we are to push on we need more from midfield.  If Tozer is our defensive play breaker then we really need a better return from Harding with no goals in 15 appearances now.  Our midfield has been woeful since the 2005 promotion season.  Yesterday our midfield were all too often guilty of ball watching when we were going forward leaving Williams and Jacobs exposed and without support (in that respect Charles offered nothing to Jacobs).  I thought Niven started to look a good addition until he got injured: we need a midfielder who can carry the ball 10 or 20 yards through the middle and then find a pass.  We haven't had that since Taylor and Jess.
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2012, 11:55:05 am »

I don't think Harding and Guttridge are the answer. 

Ridiculously harsh. Guttridge especially has been brilliant since he's been back and him being just a little off the pace yesterday made a huge difference.
Report Spam   Logged
SmithyNTFC

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2012, 13:00:11 pm »

I don't think Harding and Guttridge are the answer. 

I thought Harding was fantastic yesterday, apart from two poor corners he didn't really do anything wrong. Slowly becoming a favourite 
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2012, 17:20:53 pm »

I think they are both decent to be fair.
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2012, 19:50:30 pm »

Apparently there are now 'extended highlights' on Cobblers Player. F*ck knows where they got them from...
Report Spam   Logged

The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2012, 19:53:27 pm »

One of the most enjoyable games I've seen at Sixfields was against Plymouth in the FA Cup the season we got Man Utd. Think we won either 3-2 or 3-1
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2012, 20:51:09 pm »

One of the most enjoyable games I've seen at Sixfields was against Plymouth in the FA Cup the season we got Man Utd. Think we won either 3-2 or 3-1
Late Derek Asamoah winner, if I remember correctly. They were top of League 1 (or whatever it may have been then) at the time - believe they ended up champions too.
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2012, 21:46:06 pm »

I thought Harding was fantastic yesterday, apart from two poor corners he didn't really do anything wrong. Slowly becoming a favourite 
10 games prior to Gutts
Played 10: WIN 1 DRAW 2 LOST 7

First 10 GAMES with Gutts:
Played 10: WIN 6 DRAW 1 LOST 3

Stats proove he has been a great signing..

Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
dyl

View Profile
Level 5 Search Linux User
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2012, 10:08:57 am »

10 games prior to Gutts
Played 10: WIN 1 DRAW 2 LOST 7

First 10 GAMES with Gutts:
Played 10: WIN 6 DRAW 1 LOST 3

Stats proove he has been a great signing..

Corrolation does not equal causation.

However I would agree that he has been an important factor in our improvement, albeit there are other important factors that have also been introduced over the same period.
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2012, 10:15:08 am »

He seemed to be playing deeper than Tozer and Harding on Saturday, in the past Tozer and Harding have been holding and Guttridge playing in the hole linking up with Bayo. Maybe this was changed because Bayo wasn't playing but I still prefer Tozer and Harding holding and Luke getting involved further forward. Charles looks a very useful left back, solid and unspectacular, ideal for a defender!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: