The Hotel End
April 16, 2024, 04:21:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Sammo/Guinan love-in

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sammo/Guinan love-in  (Read 3522 times)
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2010, 09:11:34 am »

I agree but Guinan was awful against Torquay and got booed off! So it cant just be me who thinks it.

I didn't realise he was on the pitch at Torquay until he climbed out of Guy Branston's back pocket when he was substituted.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2010, 10:30:15 am »

I agree but Guinan was awful against Torquay and got booed off! So it cant just be me who thinks it.
Agreeing with the (unlsilent) majority of Cobbler fans is really, really not something to be proud of. Not when you consider that the (unsilent) majority of Cobblers fans are absolutely f***ing stupid.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Lebowski

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2010, 13:30:09 pm »

Strikers are judged on goals scored,simple as that.
Report Spam   Logged
Power Football

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2010, 14:21:54 pm »

Strikers are judged on goals scored,simple as that.

By who? Sensationalist press and fans like you?

If Guinan didn't score for ten more games but we won all those ten with his contribution helping, would you drop him for the 11th game?
Report Spam   Logged
auntie

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2010, 15:00:30 pm »

yes, yes, yes  Grin
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 15:03:27 pm by auntie » Report Spam   Logged
PineWoody

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 4
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2010, 15:12:04 pm »

I'm sorry but I really cannot see the argument people are putting up to defend the selction of Guinan. We have now played 3 games, he has started all of them and despite the fact he has actually put in a half decent shift in two of them, I can't remember Guinan coming remotely close to scoring or even looking like scoring. In fact yesterday, the closest he came was trying to turn and shoot and as a result taking the ball right off the boot of the on-running Gilligan whos ball it quite clearly was.

While it's not quite as simple as Strikers getting judged 100% on the amount of goals they score, they have to add somethin to the side as an attackng force otherwise, quite frankily they are a waste of time, space and a man on the pitch. In the 3 games i've seen this season, Guinan adds AT BEST very little to the side and therefore I still can't quite understand why he is starting.
Report Spam   Logged

GTA Champion - Season 09/10
Power Football

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2010, 15:19:07 pm »

While it's not quite as simple as Strikers getting judged 100% on the amount of goals they score, they have to add somethin to the side as an attackng force otherwise, quite frankily they are a waste of time, space and a man on the pitch. In the 3 games i've seen this season, Guinan adds AT BEST very little to the side and therefore I still can't quite understand why he is starting.

Completely agree and i would very much like to see Purcell start the next game, i was just making the point that strikers should be judged by more than just goals...
Report Spam   Logged
ntfcgavin

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2010, 16:08:33 pm »

I'm sorry but I really cannot see the argument people are putting up to defend the selction of Guinan. We have now played 3 games, he has started all of them and despite the fact he has actually put in a half decent shift in two of them, I can't remember Guinan coming remotely close to scoring or even looking like scoring. In fact yesterday, the closest he came was trying to turn and shoot and as a result taking the ball right off the boot of the on-running Gilligan whos ball it quite clearly was.

At last some one who talks some sense! Be carefull though you may be accused by Son of Geoff by knowing eff all about football!  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2010, 17:24:09 pm »

Before the Torquay game Guinan said in the pre-match interview "I'm hoping that being put in the shop window and perhaps scoring a couple of goals will get me a move to a new club before the end of the month".  You can read into this what you will, but it sounds to me as if he is indeed being picked for precisely that reason.  That said, from what I've seen of Purcell so far, there is nothing to choose between the two of them. 

The bigger problem I had with yesterday's selection was having both Osman and Gilligan in the same starting line up. In my view it's an either or.  If we're going to score goals we need to start playing some football, and for me that means Jacobs and Thornton in the starting line up.   
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2010, 17:33:47 pm »

including the end of last season when bayo got injured vs torquay, missed 3 1/2 games, and the 2 league games this season guinan and mackay have played together 5 1/2 matches and have scored NIL league goals between them

in fact the team as a whole have scored NIL league goals in that time

there is a more fundamental problem than just steve guinan being old and s***
Report Spam   Logged
Erith_Cobbler

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2010, 19:22:32 pm »

McKay had two or three great chances to win the game for us, but fluffed his lines. But it was all that twat Guinan's fault.
Report Spam   Logged
Lebowski

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2010, 20:59:26 pm »

Just give Purcell a go, maybe we should judge a few more games into the season but i fear if we dont start getting goals we are never getting out of this league, there's a reason we are not fancied in the promotion mix up predictions.... We need a players to score , i think the strikers we have now only scored 11 or 12 goals between them all of last season. thats not good enough for a team to be pushing for promotion, but hey lets play guinan for 10 more games like power football wants..
Report Spam   Logged
Power Football

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2010, 21:05:16 pm »

but hey lets play guinan for 10 more games like power football wants..

Not quite what i said was it?

i fear if we dont start getting goals we are never getting out of this league,

Quick. Somebody tell Sammo that!!!
Report Spam   Logged
bigcitylights

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2010, 21:19:18 pm »

If I could post my thoughts on the subject it would be the above, top post PineWoody.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2010, 21:42:25 pm »

You have to be concerned when the bookies have your top striker, Purcell, at 33/1 to be top scorer for the season, and he can't even get in the starting line up. Mackay and Guinan are both 50/1. Constantine is 40/1
Report Spam   Logged
TheBigPicture

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2010, 22:21:47 pm »

The clever money is on Constantine before Guinan at this rate!!
Report Spam   Logged
IzzyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2010, 22:33:40 pm »

I reckon I'm as positive a Cobblers fans as you'll ever meet and I agree that Guinan never ever looked like scoring. He worked his socks off and for that alone he should get respect from the fans not Boos. Why boo your own player for fooks sake? Never understodd that (except Constantine obviously).

Purcell should start ahead of him but he won't until the transfer window shuts.  

Sammo's after-game comments were interesting. To me it's obvious he's sticking him in the shop window and wants to get rid of him sharpish. No one will buy him if he sits on the bench. It's a sad way to pick a team but it'll mean Sammo has some room in the budget for the mysterious overseas target he briefly mentioned.

Does Ireland count as Overseas?
Report Spam   Logged
Ted

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2010, 06:55:37 am »

I reckon I'm as positive a Cobblers fans as you'll ever meet and I agree that Guinan never ever looked like scoring. He worked his socks off and for that alone he should get respect from the fans not Boos. Why boo your own player for fooks sake? Never understodd that (except Constantine obviously).

Purcell should start ahead of him but he won't until the transfer window shuts.  

Sammo's after-game comments were interesting. To me it's obvious he's sticking him in the shop window and wants to get rid of him sharpish. No one will buy him if he sits on the bench. It's a sad way to pick a team but it'll mean Sammo has some room in the budget for the mysterious overseas target he briefly mentioned.

Does Ireland count as Overseas?

I'd say that was a gross understatement.You pick a team to win a game, not to rid yourself of an unwanted player.
Report Spam   Logged
black_army

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2010, 07:35:24 am »

Again, I think the boo-boys at Torquay were venting their anger at a poor team performance (which on reflection, was a mad 5 minutes bith sides of half time), rather than at Guinan.

Did you go to any of the pre-season away games? Guinan looked sharp and transfer listed or not, if he is the best we have then he should start.
Report Spam   Logged
DustCobb

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2010, 07:52:05 am »

We haven't scored in two league games, something is clearly not working, still at least Guinan looked good in pre season.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: