The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 14:49:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Michael Jacobs

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael Jacobs  (Read 5863 times)
Whitedogdo

Badges: (View All)
« on: April 11, 2012, 12:15:36 pm »

Meeting with his agent this lunch time to see what's available

Michael Jacobs ‏ @mjacobs18  Reply  Retweeted  Favorite · Open
Off to tgi's inabit to meet the agent @alzeelev see if he's got any decent news for me and to see if he's taller than 5ft yet @jakeytorres

I hope this isn't farewell, unless Kenny Dalglish has valued him the same way as he did Andy Carroll, in which case we can look fwd to the chairman repaying himself what he has paid in, and having a new 20,000 all seater stadium with 30 corporate boxes all paid with cash from Anfield...
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 17:29:36 pm »

I thought that it was YOU meeting with his agent....... Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
fwalden

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 20:00:24 pm »

He's still young and the best thing for him is to give it till next season, keep improving that final ball and be part of a successful promotion winning team with the Cobblers which in turn will raise his stock value, guarantee himself a higher wage and ultimately a larger transfer fee for us!
Report Spam   Logged

Frederick Ingram "Fanny" Walden (1 March 1888 – 3 May 1949) was an English professional footballer who played on the right-wing for Northampton Town, Tottenham Hotspur and at international level for England during the 1910s and 1920s.
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 20:08:06 pm »

When do we no longer get compo for him, 3 more years? If so offer him a two year deal on similar money to Bayo, build a decent team, then if someone does want him they have to pay us good markt value for him.
Report Spam   Logged
JimmyRiddle

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 22:06:01 pm »

This doesn't look good, the big clubs are circling like vultures  Sad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17679719
Report Spam   Logged
Exe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 23:36:51 pm »

Has Cardoza been on the jungle juice? "Because of the size of the club we are, we're always top ten at worst," said Cardoza. Have you looked at the table at all this season David?  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 06:04:54 am »

Doesn't he just mean in terms of the player wages budget?
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 06:24:22 am »

Yes, its obvious he means that to anybody that can read especially as the previous paragraph refers to club budgets.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
guest170

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 08:00:21 am »

Good interview with Jacobs

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/cobblers/michael-jacobs-talks-about-aiming-for-promotion-next-season-and-then-higher-1-3719493

Would really like to buy the steward a drink!!
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 08:25:49 am »

Yes, its obvious he means that to anybody that can read especially as the previous paragraph refers to club budgets.

University Education.  Roll Eyes  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 08:49:18 am »

The bottom line is we are cutting the budget again next season.
If it stayed the same and we were able to have a twenty man squad then you could fancy our chances.
The only way we can get decent permanent players is by receiving extra sponsorship from companies in the town.
The multinationals don't seem to give a toss about the cobblers and so we always get the second tier of sponsorship(no disrespect).
The club needs to double it's efforts to get these major firms onside and then we can progress.
DC only has so much money and I've said before I honestly think that he will struggle to move us forward on his own
It is a disgrace that the cobblers are not given serious backing by the multinational companies in this town.
We have no trouble getting local sponsorship(Jackson Grundy,red hot etc) which ismuch appreciated but to move on the club needs to think bigger.
When I met DC and talked about this there was no doubt that he has approached these companies but to no avail.
I would like as I'm sure many fans would when DC asks again this year can he please report WHY these companies won't invest in us???
That way we a know where we stand.
Report Spam   Logged
guest170

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 08:56:30 am »

I would like as I'm sure many fans would when DC asks again this year can he please report WHY these companies won't invest in us???
That way we a know where we stand.
Easy. We have two professional (winter) teams in the town.
One regularly appears on Sky Sports, ESPN and plays in big European cup finals from time to time.
The other plays teams like Morecambe, Barnet and Herford and may appear on Sky or ESPN twich a year if lucky.
As much as I love the Cobblers if I owned one of the big multi nationals I know where I would put my money!

Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 09:08:49 am »

Carlsberg is managed by their head office in Copenhagen, with many breweries all over the world not just Northampton.  They would have had no problems with sponsoring Liverpool because they would be seen all over Europe in the Champions League/Europa/UEFA Cups and worldwide by those countries that take Premiers***e games live of which their are quite a few.  By anyones standards that is a good and worthwhile return.
What return would they have from us?  All of the lower league grounds, 2 minutes a week on the Football League Show/Anglia/Look East if we or the opposition had scored and maybe a run in the cup that would be few and far between and probably not be attractive enough to gain many veiwers outside of the teams involved.
From that what a company would need to identify what the viewing public would be and who would they reach.
Who, apart from Cobblers fans, takes a close interest in what and when we are on the box or in a position to promote their brand?
Local interest only, so probably local companies only would find it attractive to sponsor us.
Funny enough, that just happens to be the only type of companies we can attract.
When we get into the Championship that may change, but until then we need to be thankful that we get what we get unless we get lucky and someone high up in a particular multi-national company haas a soft spot for us and throws us the dough.
However I wouldn't hold our collective breaths.
Report Spam   Logged

Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 09:15:03 am »

I take those points on board but it is possible to get multinationals on board lower league clubs.
Luton are sponsored by easyjet.
Perhaps we can ring them up and ask how they managed to get them involved when they are not even on national television!!!
Report Spam   Logged
guest170

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 09:34:58 am »

Possibly a case of who would want easyjet on their shirts?!
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 10:22:57 am »

Nationwide were our shirt sponsors for a fair time. Carlsberg did it many years ago also. Im sure theres others.

Businesses like multinationals tend to have a 'local marketing/sponsorship' budget and a national/international one. We would obviously fall into the first of the two pots, given that we could not generate the type of wide spread exposure that they would want out of a marketing exercise. So pretty much a case of goodwill...putting something back into the community etc where the workers live. And thats about it. Given that we would want (Im guessing) a minimum of 50k-100k to sponsor the shirt (I believe that JG pay a lot more than that with their package) thats a hell of a lot of 'good will' in these tough times. All for very little return.

IF we ever made it big, the opportunities locally would potentially be massive. But that is of course a big IF!

Back to the main topic of the thread, Michael Jacobs. My gut feeling based on reading the interviews from both DC and himself is that unless a silly offer comes in now that he cant refuse, he will carry on playing for us next season. I would say its pretty much a guarantee that he will sign a new deal, he probably feels that he 'owes' us that given that 'we' gave him the chance of playing professional football and that he clearly has emotional ties to the whole place. After that, what will be will be. But its clear that the team is really bonding now and with 14 of the current 16 supplemented by 3 or 4 signings of decent quality to replace the ones that will be released, we could and should be very good next season!
Report Spam   Logged
guest170

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 10:44:39 am »

I think AB coming in is a great help towards us keeping him. Under the previous regime, regardless of where we finish, I dont think we would have stood a chance.
AB seems to have the respect of the players and I think someone Jacobs would listen to. As said there also seems to be a good team spirit.
I'm not sure if he would feel he owes us anything. With Anfield and the way he (felt he) had to carry the team at times and how it affected his performances I personally do not feel he owes us anything.
My own belief is he will sign a 12 month contract and will leave in January.
I wouldnt mind betting he will wait and see what kind of team AB builds for next season. If a couple of good players come in (CC?) then it might tempt him to stay more.
Report Spam   Logged
Monkey

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 10:57:56 am »

Agreed, AB being here has increased the chances of us keeping him.
He is obviously a loyal lad who is now enjoying himself at a club he loves (thanks AB and Sammo!). On top of that, he'll be getting a hefty pay rise (Thanks DC).
The article says he still lives at home and is happy there and if he moves clubs, theres a good chance he'll have to move home too. (Boro would be one of the exceptions and they are almost certain to make a bid but lets hope Jacobs can turn down the charms of Big Baz). Leaving behind family and friends is a difficult thing to do, especially at 19/20.
Going from being a big player to a squad player when all he probably wants to be doing is playing games is another consideration. It would be a lot of change for a young man and for that reason, along with the fact he seems to have his head screwed on (he will be influenced by people who have his best interests at heart), I have an inkling that he'll stay for another year, providing the package we offer him doesnt take the p1ss of course.
Report Spam   Logged
Sid

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 11:34:06 am »

Agreed. Best thing to do is get your future sorted now, keep playing football and his chance will come.

I am in no doubt that in 5 years time he'll be on a Premiership teamsheet week in week out.
Report Spam   Logged

Cobblers Fans Team Skipper and forever NTFC.

"Ooooohhh Abdul Osman, He's got a big coc...." hhmm?? What d'ya mean they aren't the words?? Grin
Power Football

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 11:36:56 am »

I am in no doubt that in 5 years time he'll be on a Premiership teamsheet week in week out.

Not sure about that, as good as he is I fear he lacks that extra yard of pace that players at the top level require.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: