The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 09:13:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Michael Jacobs

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael Jacobs  (Read 5812 times)
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 12:09:07 pm »

I take those points on board but it is possible to get multinationals on board lower league clubs.
Luton are sponsored by easyjet.
Perhaps we can ring them up and ask how they managed to get them involved when they are not even on national television!!!
Go build sywell up to international airport standard and get easyjet to move their operations there. Simple.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
guest170

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 12:26:25 pm »

Go build sywell up to international airport standard and get easyjet to move their operations there. Simple.
With some of the propaganda that used to float around about the tarmac runway you would think it already was!
Report Spam   Logged
Bog Paper

Lavatory Paper Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 18:22:28 pm »

I wonder what Cardoza is referring to when he talks of the budget? If he means that he is cutting the budget compared to what the budget was that he gave Johnson at the beginning of last season then he will be taking a gamble and we might find ourselves in trouble again. That would appear to indicate that he thinks lightning won't strike twice, er I mean 3 times.

However, what I suspect he means is that the budget will be reduced on what we actually spent. I imagine that the original budget was blown out of the water in a desperate effort to stay in the league and thanks to Del Boy's ill-advised recruitment.

If it is the former, then I have concerns. If it's the latter then it's understandable and I don't expect AB to spend money unwisely. Let's hope it is the latter.
Report Spam   Logged

It has to be "B"
Another big smile on my face. I always get the big decisions right.

Couldn't be happier, you can all blame me if it turns pear shaped. Up next year without a doubt and no need of the play-offs.
TbananaG

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 06:52:41 am »

I think it's the latter. Weren't we up to 31 players at one point this season? I think 19 better players could mean both a stronger squad and lower wage budget.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 07:12:06 am »

The England squad is 23 for a four week tournament.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
fwalden

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 08:59:57 am »

AB has confirmed on NTFC that he's been offered a contract now and that it's up to Jacobs what he does.  he suggests that he's a down to earth lad and that to me is perhaps an inkling that he may accept and stay for next season.

Anyone have any inside information on what he's been offered? I would expect his wages will be quadrupled?
Report Spam   Logged

Frederick Ingram "Fanny" Walden (1 March 1888 – 3 May 1949) was an English professional footballer who played on the right-wing for Northampton Town, Tottenham Hotspur and at international level for England during the 1910s and 1920s.
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 10:46:11 am »

He is not exceptional by any means. I think there are a lot of claret tinted glasses about.

i think there are a lot of people in football who would disagree with you on this one

if brad johnson can play in the premiership, then jacobs has more than a good chance
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 10:53:56 am »

Sad to say it, but I think Crackers will actually look a better player in a higher division, given a bit more time and space than he gets in League Two.
Report Spam   Logged
Monkey

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 11:15:58 am »

He'll do very well to make it in the premiership as it will take significant improvement in certain aspects of his game. We are starting to see him develop again, something he seemed to have stopped doing for a while which is promising thogh. I agree that his lack of pace will make it difficult for him to make it to the highest level as a wide man.
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 18:49:09 pm »

In my opinion Jacobs is as good as Chambers, another product of our Youth system (remember Brad Johnson was imported from Cambridge).

I fully expect him to be snapped up by a Championship club this summer.
Report Spam   Logged
shakemaster

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2012, 18:54:31 pm »

I agree with banana and he would have more time on the ball in a higher division
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2012, 19:58:26 pm »

The idea that players get more time on the ball as the leagues go up is frankly silly. It just seems that way thanks to their ball skills.
Report Spam   Logged
Alfred

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2012, 21:12:01 pm »

And the fact they get more time and space on the ball
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2012, 01:19:59 am »

We don't really need this distraction right now but if he goes he goes..AB will pull another rabbit out his his hat.
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
TbananaG

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2012, 07:03:44 am »

The idea that players get more time on the ball as the leagues go up is frankly silly. It just seems that way thanks to their ball skills.

Sorry, but that's plain wrong.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2012, 07:23:32 am »

Teams in the higher leagues look to limiting the options that the player with the ball has.

Whilst in the lower leagues teams will put more emphasis on closing down the player in possession as opposed to those around him who he could pass to.

Net result: the lower league players have less time on the ball but more outlets to pass to. Whilst in the prem they will get more time and space but may struggle to use it.

That's at least how I see it!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 07:26:44 am by DrillingCobbler » Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2012, 07:31:27 am »

I think there's an important distinction to be made between talent and effectiveness. Jacobs is undoubtedly a talented player: his touch, dribbling and, at his best, his long range passing and shooting (c.f. Shrewsbury at Home last year) are all far better than most players at this level.  

However, for me, he still has a way to go to become a consistently effective player at this level. If we look at the stats it's hard to think of too many games in which he's had a truly decisive impact. His decision making is the main area for improvement, and AB has recognised this on several occasions.

He would be wise to follow the trajectory of Bradley Johnson and either stay with us or go to a League One club followed by the Championship and then see where he goes from there.

Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2012, 07:35:00 am »

The way that most League Two defences have learned to play Jacobs is to have one player close him down straight away and to have a second defender stand off a few yards in case he gets by. You simply cannot afford to do that at Championship level because the level of ability of the opposing forwards is more even and you need to cover them all - you can only do it where there is one standout player you need to shut down.

This is also part of what AB was getting at with his comments about getting Crackers and de Silva to get rid quicker: draw two defenders in and there's logically a free man to pass to.

For as long as Crackers is in a team where there's limited mobility in the forward line, he will sometimes look as though he's running up blind alleys because he's tempted to do too much / isn't being given enough options.

Also, there is less refereeing tolerance for "robust" defending as you go up the leagues.
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2012, 07:38:08 am »

I think there's an important distinction to be made between talent and effectiveness.

Absolutely: friends of mine who've only seen a couple of games don't understand why Ashley Young isn't a regular starter. Take any ten minute section of a game and he looks fantastic: watch him over whole games, and more games, and you see that he has almost no impact....while looking very talented in terms of ball skills and athleticism.
Report Spam   Logged
HertsCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2012, 07:42:12 am »

Absolutely: friends of mine who've only seen a couple of games don't understand why Ashley Young isn't a regular starter. Take any ten minute section of a game and he looks fantastic: watch him over whole games, and more games, and you see that he has almost no impact....while looking very talented in terms of ball skills and athleticism.

I assume you have done a Johnson and called Lewis, Ashley.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: