The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 02:58:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Michael Jacobs

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael Jacobs  (Read 5862 times)
TbananaG

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2012, 07:45:02 am »

I assume you have done a Johnson and called Lewis, Ashley.

Bollocks! Ashley: yes, got to admit he's quite effective! Got a theory that Lewis might make a useful right back...
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2012, 07:57:57 am »

I couldn't agree more with the last few posts on here (from Drillings onwards) regarding time on the ball and effectiveness vs talent. I'd love Crackers to stay with us but there's a part of me that's curious to see how effective he'd be at a higher level when he does have more time on the ball, not in a few years but right now. I have to say, I think the answer is VERY.  In fact, I think the criticism he sometimes gets about his final ball is almost entirely down to him hurrying to get rid of it as he's been told to. That's not a dig at AB or anyone; it's the right thing to do given how quickly L2 teams close down, it just doesn't always end up showing the player in the best light.

Having said all that, I still think he'd be better staying with us as a guaranteed starter than going to a Championship or Premiership club as a bit part player, at least for the next season (in long term career terms if not immediate financial ones!)

Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
lodgeadam

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2012, 08:15:16 am »

Agree with a lot of the criticisms of Jacobs play on here, think it's good we can see that he isn't our god (yet). However, if he was to go I think we would miss him a lot.

People are suggesting the money could improve the squad, I would disagree on the grounds that i'm not sure we could attract anyone else of his ability at the moment.

Report Spam   Logged

--- 'Shoe Army' is THE worst chant ever! --- Twitter @lodgeadam
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2012, 08:20:13 am »

One player doesn't make a team. Of course Championship and higher players would look good in a L2 team, much like Jacobs looks good in our team. Where they come into their own though is where they are surrounded by similar quality players who generally read the game better, take up better positions and have better ability to both feed and feed off them. At that point, they are able to truly show what they are capable of and can step up to another level.

They get more space and time at that level since the opposition are also trying to take up corresponding positions rather than chase after the ball. I think this is often why you see teams come up a level and do well the following year (and cup upsets to a degree); they bring with them a different style of football, such as closing quickly, that can catch better teams out and unsettle them.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
ntfcgavin

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2012, 10:07:19 am »

* If we reverse that then surely decent championship and international footballers should not look very good in League 2 because they do not get time on the ball?

Toni silva, eoin jess, josh walker anybody?
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2012, 12:14:32 pm »

Toni silva, eoin jess, josh walker anybody?

Are you seriously suggesting any of the above are or were decent championship and international footballers?
Silva is 19 and played his first and only league games at The Cobblers, Jess was 35 when he signed for us and Walker played 8 games in 4 years for Middlesborough 6 games for Watford.
You might as well add Paul Rodgers - at least he played for Arsenal.

My point is that the game gets progressively  faster as you move up the divisions and although defenders might get time on the ball in their own half any other player is closed down and tackled far quicker the higher up the leagues you go.
In the prem the game is so fast the first touch has to be precise otherwise the ball is simply whipped away from you in no time at all.
Report Spam   Logged
ntfcgavin

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2012, 12:51:43 pm »

Eoin jess played in the prem, championship and for scotland and was crap in league 2 and better in league 1, toni silva is highly rated by liverpool as was josh walker by middlesbrough, he also played in the uefa cup for aberdeen and they thought he was usefull so yes i am!
Report Spam   Logged
ntfcgavin

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2012, 16:22:06 pm »

Jess was crap for us in league 2 and then one season and one year older he was a better player in league one, my theory at the time, he had more time on the ball unless anyone else can come up with a better one?
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2012, 16:29:12 pm »

Jess was crap for us in league 2 and then one season and one year older he was a better player in league one, my theory at the time, he had more time on the ball unless anyone else can come up with a better one?

You are confused, Jess finished his playing career with us.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2012, 20:25:53 pm »

If he has any sense he will be off.
He will be a loss but you have to think about career progression and it can be a short career.
I personally think he is talented but far too greedy and never looks up to play people in.
When he goes to a manager who can teach him how to play football coupled with his undoubted talent he will go far.
At the moment he is undoubtedly a fantastically talented player but is still like the greedy schoolboy who knows he is good and won't pass unless he is forced too.
Usually when michael passes it is backwards because he has beaten two players but can't beat a third.
I think he has talent but if he joins a championship club he will soon be found out and will have to be retrained.
That said I still think on his talent alone he is worth £500000.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2012, 21:25:58 pm »

If he has any sense he will be off.
He will be a loss but you have to think about career progression and it can be a short career.
I personally think he is talented but far too greedy and never looks up to play people in.
When he goes to a manager who can teach him how to play football coupled with his undoubted talent he will go far.
At the moment he is undoubtedly a fantastically talented player but is still like the greedy schoolboy who knows he is good and won't pass unless he is forced too.
Usually when michael passes it is backwards because he has beaten two players but can't beat a third.
I think he has talent but if he joins a championship club he will soon be found out and will have to be retrained.
That said I still think on his talent alone he is worth £500000.

What a great assessment.
I think he won't pass the ball because he knows they will screw it up. Anyway ADB plays him on the left specifically to cut in and take on players. You've got to admit he's got great ball control - amongst the best I've seen at Sixfields. He'll be in the premiership within 3 years.
Report Spam   Logged
Power Football

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2012, 21:43:08 pm »

I like him I really do, but I'm afraid he ain't quick enough for the Premiership... He'll be a good Championship player one day if he fulfills his potential.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2012, 21:58:24 pm »

We'll see; if Bradley Johnson can hack it then I'm sure Jacobs can. Mind you, I'm a bit surprised Luke Chambers hasn't upgraded.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2012, 17:31:55 pm »

We'll see; if Bradley Johnson can hack it then I'm sure Jacobs can. Mind you, I'm a bit surprised Luke Chambers hasn't upgraded.

I think Chambers will step up sooner rather than later. Bunny is the one who should have had a go (at first team football) somewhere else by now but he'll be making a helluva living from where he is sitting.

As for Prem vs lower leagues. A top ex Prem player usually still oozes quality in the lower leagues. Darren Anderton used to do a decent job and Ian Taylor did OK for us when he was 104  Wink
Although the same applies the other way and most players look better in better sides and with better coaching improve. Steve Howard, Brad Johnson, Steve Morison etc. None of them were/are the same players we saw, other than by name.
I reckon Jacobs has got what it takes to make it to the top but wouldn't be surprised if he has a stepping stone move first, similar to Chambers. £500,000 Undisclosed would be a good bit of business to help kick start the rebuilding of the squad.

Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2012, 17:40:43 pm »

To Watford, £500k plus Iwelumo?
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2012, 18:50:04 pm »

Why would they pay half a million plus a player if he's out of contract anyway?
Report Spam   Logged
Clerkenwellcobbler

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2012, 20:32:39 pm »

500 Thousand...?!  He is out of contract and will go to tribunal - I think more like 200-250k with add-ons, depending on whether he plays in the Premiership/career appearances etc.  I do think he has a lot of quality about him, but I very much doubt he will ever reach the levels Bradley Johnson has.  Did you mean £500000 spread out over a period of time, or do you think that we would get that much up front?  If Matt Tubbs scored 25 goals in half a season and went for £800k, and forwards always go for a premium, do you think half a dozen goals and maybe as many assists warrants £500k?  Especially as this tribunal business can be very hit and miss.  I would love to see one more season out of him at League 2 level, a bit more consistency and then a bigger money move.  Realism has bitten, however, and I can't see any further than a lower mid table Championship side or maybe a good footballing team pushing for the play-offs. 
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2012, 20:38:22 pm »

I just think his ability to control the ball at speed, get past a player and a wicked shot means he'll play at the top level. I wouldn't be surprised if Reading pick him up at the end of the season with perhaps including Williams to us in the deal.
Report Spam   Logged
Clerkenwellcobbler

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2012, 20:41:25 pm »

You might be right, although if (and when) they go up, surely they would immediately send him out on loan to a League 1 or struggling Championship side for experience?  Would they not be better served by signing half polished rough diamonds, like Norwich did this year (in Pilkington, Bradley Johnson and Bennett), as opposed to someone who is unproven outside of the bottom half of League 2?
Report Spam   Logged
Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2012, 21:07:04 pm »

I just think his ability to control the ball at speed, get past a player and a wicked shot means he'll play at the top level. I wouldn't be surprised if Reading pick him up at the end of the season with perhaps including Williams to us in the deal.
Not that I know the answer to this, but can we do that if it goes to a tribunal? I would think the league comes up with a figure for compensation, and the buying club has to pay it - can the two clubs still negotiate over players going the other way as well as/instead of cash at that point?
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: