The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 01:01:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Redevelopment Closer Than Ever?

Pages: 1 ... 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 [992] 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 ... 2200   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Redevelopment Closer Than Ever?  (Read 1845122 times)
Battery Man

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #19820 on: September 20, 2017, 11:36:38 am »

But it was a very nice stadium last night and would love to see the Cobblers with a stadium of similar size. As long as we dont have that drum that they kept banging last night it was worse than the pompey bell. I do think that is the size we should be looking for, but need to do it a stand at a time and we need the issues that are holding the East stand up out in the open and then resolved so we can all see whats happening, not just everyone guessing and arguing the same points over and over again.
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #19821 on: September 20, 2017, 12:20:04 pm »

Obviously it isn't too steep otherwise it wouldn't have been designed and built by a extremely family friendly club. Fortunately you will likely have at least 2 other large all seated stands in which to regale people with your stories about the 02.

Actually it is too steep. Even the newest UK stadia won't build past a 35 degree incline, it is deemed a health and safety issue. Even beyond the obvious physical risks, vertigo is a very real issue on a bank with such a steep climb.
I agree the current Sixfields is inadequate for realistic sustained growth, but if you intend putting an argument forward it helps to be realistic.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #19822 on: September 20, 2017, 13:13:32 pm »

They should've stayed at Springfield park, they will never amount to much stuck in that stadium, probably spend the next 50 years struggling in the lower leagues with us.
Maybe Kelvin could give them some advice on the benefits of zero growth?

I think you will find they have had their day in the sun - probably never to be repeated & guess what right now they are playing at the same level as us with similar gates. The stadium looks a sad empty sight and even in Premiership days only looked full because of away support.Also the investment in the stadium was much more about the Rugby League moving from Central Park to the JJB - big Dave (not that one!) took the football club along for the ride. To be honest when I look East from the west stand and see the Franklin's Garden lights and further out the County Ground lights you can't help thinking if at least 2 out of the 3 had joined forces for a sporting complex Northampton could have been proud of how much closer to a true 365 day facility we would be.

On a lighter note - great few memories of Wigan. The first visit to Springfield Park where you could still buy beer in a glass glass at the back of the terrace in full view of the pitch. Then of course the boisterous affair with the team late arrival, our two sending offs and the (in those days rare) less than sporting Spanish players
Report Spam   Logged
guest170

« Reply #19823 on: September 20, 2017, 13:31:45 pm »

you can't help thinking if at least 2 out of the 3 had joined forces for a sporting complex Northampton could have been proud of how much closer to a true 365 day facility we would be.
I actually agree with this and think its short sighted of the FA or RFU (cant remember which one blocks it now) not to allow new ground shares except in certain circumstances. I know it would be a nightmare for arranging fixtures for both sports but a lot of rugby is played on Friday nights now so wouldn't be impossible. Would also help both sports from a financial point of view as can share stadium costs and at minimum double to number of business days.

Might be unpopular, and it wont ever happen so doesn't matter, but i'd happily move into Franklins Fields
Report Spam   Logged
Cordwainer2

View Profile
« Reply #19824 on: September 20, 2017, 13:47:40 pm »

What a brilliant idea, ground share with the Cricket. No one has ever thought of that before!!!
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #19825 on: September 20, 2017, 14:09:20 pm »

We dont need to piggyback on the Saints success that they gradually  built up over these past 30 years, not that they would allow it anyway.
Small sustainable growth in a open and honest manner  that allows all club supporters to feel part of a growing club.
Not kept like cows in a field looking over a fence towards Sixfields wondering if something good may happen in the next 10 years if we show great patience... it wont Grin
Report Spam   Logged
meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #19826 on: September 20, 2017, 15:14:26 pm »

Actually it is too steep. Even the newest UK stadia won't build past a 35 degree incline, it is deemed a health and safety issue. Even beyond the obvious physical risks, vertigo is a very real issue on a bank with such a steep climb.
I agree the current Sixfields is inadequate for realistic sustained growth, but if you intend putting an argument forward it helps to be realistic.

I'm sure the Orlando stand has been subject to stringent health and safety tests and vertigo would be an issue in all venues with high stands.

But yeah It's unlikely that something so steep would be passed here. Still, Rotherham have shown how even a slight steepness can add 'feeling' to a ground and the Orlando rail system is interesting.

Report Spam   Logged
meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #19827 on: September 20, 2017, 15:15:55 pm »

I think you will find they have had their day in the sun - probably never to be repeated & guess what right now they are playing at the same level as us with similar gates. The stadium looks a sad empty sight and even in Premiership days only looked full because of away support.Also the investment in the stadium was much more about the Rugby League moving from Central Park to the JJB - big Dave (not that one!) took the football club along for the ride. To be honest when I look East from the west stand and see the Franklin's Garden lights and further out the County Ground lights you can't help thinking if at least 2 out of the 3 had joined forces for a sporting complex Northampton could have been proud of how much closer to a true 365 day facility we would be.

On a lighter note - great few memories of Wigan. The first visit to Springfield Park where you could still buy beer in a glass glass at the back of the terrace in full view of the pitch. Then of course the boisterous affair with the team late arrival, our two sending offs and the (in those days rare) less than sporting Spanish players

Agree completely and wouldn't even need to be a groundshare. We could have the first back to back stadia (to my knowledge with adjoining stands). Loads of land at Sixfields too.
Report Spam   Logged
Cordwainer2

View Profile
« Reply #19828 on: September 20, 2017, 15:45:05 pm »

Headingley, Cricket and Rugby League.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #19829 on: September 20, 2017, 15:46:49 pm »

I think you will find they have had their day in the sun - probably never to be repeated & guess what right now they are playing at the same level as us with similar gates. The stadium looks a sad empty sight and even in Premiership days only looked full because of away support.
Mate of mine has had a season ticket at Anfield for a long time, and I remember him saying that away tickets were difficult to get hold of, as they were allocated on a "lottery basis" according to your ticket number. He also said that the one ground, you could almost guarantee getting a ticket for was Wigan.
Too big a ground, for too small a town. Especially a rugby town...
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
BedsCobb

View Profile
« Reply #19830 on: September 20, 2017, 16:03:27 pm »

Mate of mine has had a season ticket at Anfield for a long time, and I remember him saying that away tickets were difficult to get hold of, as they were allocated on a "lottery basis" according to your ticket number. He also said that the one ground, you could almost guarantee getting a ticket for was Wigan.
Too big a ground, for too small a town. Especially a rugby town...

Being able to guarantee tickets to liverpool man utd city chelsea etc and local games this season v Blackburn blackpool shows me  good business practice.
Are you saying its better to offer liverpool just 940 tickets in a tiny ground? You're the 2nd person I've heard recently making a case for zero growth being a good thing.
If you have extra capacity you can sell tickets and raise income.
 Maybe thats why they are, Wigan pop 100,000 are striving to get into the championship and us, Northampton pop 220,000 desperately trying to avoid relegation?
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #19831 on: September 20, 2017, 16:46:31 pm »

Depends how you're funding it. If you're borrowing money to build the stadium then yes, it being empty is going to be a problem if the ticket revenue doesn't cover your debts.
Report Spam   Logged
lodgeadam

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #19832 on: September 20, 2017, 16:59:40 pm »

Agree completely and wouldn't even need to be a groundshare. We could have the first back to back stadia (to my knowledge with adjoining stands). Loads of land at Sixfields too.

PSG ground is extremely close to the rugby stadium.
Report Spam   Logged

--- 'Shoe Army' is THE worst chant ever! --- Twitter @lodgeadam
guest1269

« Reply #19833 on: September 20, 2017, 19:03:27 pm »

Being able to guarantee tickets to liverpool man utd city chelsea etc and local games this season v Blackburn blackpool shows me  good business practice.
Are you saying its better to offer liverpool just 940 tickets in a tiny ground? You're the 2nd person I've heard recently making a case for zero growth being a good thing.
If you have extra capacity you can sell tickets and raise income.
 Maybe thats why they are, Wigan pop 100,000 are striving to get into the championship and us, Northampton pop 220,000 desperately trying to avoid relegation?

Beds why do keep suggesting people on here think no growth, no proper stadium redevelopment or no ambition is a good thing?

I don't think anyone is saying that - we all want what you want - but much more practically and realistically -  individually and collectively most of understand we put just enough money into the club to keep it running at the lower tiers of professional football. To achieve what we all want requires serious investment ideally from someone rich and who loves the club but perhaps more likely someone who has the business savvy to develop the club and make some money for themselves - clearly D.C. was not that man & most mature worldly wise supporters are still prepared to give KT an opportunity - I've had just 5 good seasons in 47 years of supporting. KT has given me one of the best out of the 2 years he had been here so can I respectfully suggest you shut the f*** up, grow up and stop being such a bore.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
« Reply #19834 on: September 20, 2017, 19:08:06 pm »

They should've stayed at Springfield park, they will never amount to much stuck in that stadium, probably spend the next 50 years struggling in the lower leagues with us.

You really do contradict yourself. The mark of somebody, who isnt quite sure what he is saying, is that he cant remember the last thing that he said. If I were you David, I would stop digging that hole that you find yourself in. Because it will only get a lot deeper.

Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
BedsCobb

View Profile
« Reply #19835 on: September 20, 2017, 19:43:27 pm »

Beds why do keep suggesting people on here think no growth, no proper stadium redevelopment or no ambition is a good thing?

I don't think anyone is saying that - we all want what you want - but much more practically and realistically -  individually and collectively most of understand we put just enough money into the club to keep it running at the lower tiers of professional football. To achieve what we all want requires serious investment ideally from someone rich and who loves the club but perhaps more likely someone who has the business savvy to develop the club and make some money for themselves - clearly D.C. was not that man & most mature worldly wise supporters are still prepared to give KT an opportunity - I've had just 5 good seasons in 47 years of supporting. KT has given me one of the best out of the 2 years he had been here so can I respectfully suggest you shut the **** up, grow up and stop being such a bore.
FirstlyTobasco clearly tries to make a case against Wigans ground being too big despite it giving them several good seasons in the premiership and are about to return to the championship.

Please also. remember this recent great season you speak of was a Cardozas built side and management team, unless of course you mean rob page/Edinburgh season?
You again suggest in an oh so familiar over exagerated way that we need a mega rich sugar daddy to plough in billions to give us a small amount of sustainable  redevelopment to allow us to stop haemorrhaging upto £400,000 at the gate every season that we spend in league 1...we dont.
As for me STFU, I wish I could and would if KT was a bit more forthcoming with what he proposes for our club which would stop us all having to second guess everything he might have in store for us.
After 2 years it must be time to afford the supporters of Northampton town a little respect and tell us what his plans are and what we can expect, ' finishing the east' and 'complicated land  negotiations' have worn thin.

Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
« Reply #19836 on: September 20, 2017, 19:46:08 pm »

You really do contradict yourself. The mark of somebody, who isnt quite sure what he is saying, is that he cant remember the last thing that he said. If I were you David, I would stop digging that hole that you find yourself in. Because it will only get a lot deeper.

Irony old boy, irony that flew over your head😂
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
« Reply #19837 on: September 20, 2017, 19:52:25 pm »

Irony old boy, irony that flew over your head😂
I doubt that very much. I sense some back tracking occuring
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
« Reply #19838 on: September 20, 2017, 19:56:00 pm »

As for me STFU,
You know what, I couldnt have put it better myself. SHUT THE f*** UP.

Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #19839 on: September 20, 2017, 20:05:44 pm »

Maybe Kelvin could give them some advice on the benefits of zero growth?
1-0 Beds!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 [992] 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 ... 2200   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: