The Hotel End
December 09, 2019, 08:32:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Redevelopment Closer Than Ever?

Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 [1182] 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 ... 1305   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Redevelopment Closer Than Ever?  (Read 1018498 times)
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
« Reply #23620 on: December 31, 2018, 19:35:21 pm »

I will give you one example when I was helping at the club....

One time when i was in the West stand concourse (i was outside most of the time) I noticed an advertisement that was covered in mold, that featured Giles Coke (a player long left and sued the club) 'selling' a club tie (that we did not stock), now how many fans and staff members has walked passed that sign and took no notice. How does that reflect on NTFC as a business?
Random, you are very good at picking up on what people say. So, in a reciprocal argument, I offer the following : you noticed an advert? Whoopee ding dong. Well done son. I now expect you to bombard me with "facts". Dont let me down.

Report Spam   Logged
guest3114
« Reply #23621 on: December 31, 2018, 23:53:30 pm »

Much as I want the present owners to depart due to their abject failure to progress the club on and off the pitch as witnessed by their complete lack of any intent I donít think that fansí ownership is viable if what is meant by it is 100% ownership.  It may work for a while but it was telling to me that Portsmouth Supporters Trust was quick to sell out to a moneybags from the USA and now they sit top of L1.  No one can say it was the wrong decision.

What should be feasible is a joint venture (say, 75:25) between the Trust and a local businessman or businessmen willing to invest serious amounts of money to provide us (a) with a stadium befitting an expanding town with a current population of 230,000 and a very large catchment area and (b) the resources to have our own training ground and infrastructure.  The Trust should be represented with at least 2 places on the board of NTFC and the constitution of NTFC amended so that these places are enshrined and cannot be changed by future owners.  This can be done by a shareholders agreement.  This protection was the minimum the Council should have insisted on at the time of Thomasí arrival but failed to do.  It follows that the Trust would need to ensure that its appointees to the board are able to hold their own at this level and represent the supporters in a proper and professional manner.

What we have at the present time are owners who are opaque on those land/redevelopment issues that concern us and the lack of transparency has to be a cause for serious concern.  There is widespread concern that the real interest of DB/KT lies in the CDNL. 

My view is that the Trust has also been deficient in its communications with its members as many have commented on over this holiday period.  This may be due to the Trust not having a clear strategy when it comes to our owners.  Three years into the current ownership and the facts speak for themselves however much Thomas tries to lay the blame at the door of the Council.  His credibility has to be at breaking point.  My observation is that the Trust representatives have had the occasional meeting with Thomas and followed up with meetings with the Council to try and verify the truth of the reasons behind the lack of any redevelopment progress.  No substantive reports have been issued and so members and supporters are really none the wiser. Frustration is growing amongst those who care and recognise that the future of the club depends largely on a successful outcome but this looks less and less likely.  The Trust appears to be impotent in the face of owners whose reasons for being here are openly questioned by many and a Council which also tells us little or nothing and seems intent on delaying matters.  Both our owners and NBC have excelled in procrastination.  None of this is assisted by a local media that is soft and unquestioning. 

For my buck the Trust needs to change its stance and dynamics or become an irrelevance which, unfortunately, it already it is to a large numbers of supporters. That can change but there has to be the will amongst the members and the directors to make the change.

Perhaps 51% ownership would be the right figure? Talking of which how much are we talking? I would say around 17 million. That should be enough to be able to finance the club and offer some stability. If this was a viable option the last thing you would need is to be under immediate financial pressure from the off. 3000 supporters putting up 3 grand gets you 9 million. 6000 supporters putting up £1500 = the same. If the corporate sector could raise the other 49% that gets you home. That is the reality of what we are talking about. If you feel 17 million is too much or indeed not enough the alter the ratios accordingly. There would be almost insurmountable hurdles to overcome and it would take considerable effort over a protracted period to even stand half a chance of succeeding. The point is that you would need thousands of supporters to invest 4 figure sums to get this idea off the ground. Unless people are prepared to do this then any realistic talk of fan ownership is finished. So the first question should be, is this what we really want? Then by how many and how much would they be prepared to put up? Many on here have claimed the club is a sound investment opportunity that with a bit of effort could attract interest from a huge catchment area? Well now is the opportunity to prove it and even put up their own cash to back their judgment? The fact is that if we are not prepared to try something different then the club will most likely continue to change hands between speculators who have little love for the club, and that puts us in the lap of the gods. So the question remains what are you prepared to do and how many share that vision?
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
« Reply #23622 on: January 01, 2019, 09:28:27 am »

Perhaps 51% ownership would be the right figure? Talking of which how much are we talking? I would say around 17 million. That should be enough to be able to finance the club and offer some stability. If this was a viable option the last thing you would need is to be under immediate financial pressure from the off. 3000 supporters putting up 3 grand gets you 9 million. 6000 supporters putting up £1500 = the same. If the corporate sector could raise the other 49% that gets you home. That is the reality of what we are talking about. If you feel 17 million is too much or indeed not enough the alter the ratios accordingly. There would be almost insurmountable hurdles to overcome and it would take considerable effort over a protracted period to even stand half a chance of succeeding. The point is that you would need thousands of supporters to invest 4 figure sums to get this idea off the ground. Unless people are prepared to do this then any realistic talk of fan ownership is finished. So the first question should be, is this what we really want? Then by how many and how much would they be prepared to put up? Many on here have claimed the club is a sound investment opportunity that with a bit of effort could attract interest from a huge catchment area? Well now is the opportunity to prove it and even put up their own cash to back their judgment? The fact is that if we are not prepared to try something different then the club will most likely continue to change hands between speculators who have little love for the club, and that puts us in the lap of the gods. So the question remains what are you prepared to do and how many share that vision?
Thomas took over the club for £160k plus a few other bits, hasn't invested any significant amount since and has lost a vast chunk of potential earnings with a badly timed relegation, as well as alienating himself from the Town and clubs supporters  in land squabbles with the council.
But even so he claims the club is still stable and viable.
So the notion you need to raise £17,000,000 is a bit fanciful.
Yes there would be a need for 50% improvement in all season ticket sales,  pay at the gate revenue , matchday food and beverages takings , corporate takings, advertising,  etc etc,  also getting as many local businesses to in some little way show support for the clubs future redevelopment plans which would be carried out in stages over several year period.
When the Town folk see their football club having an interesting  viable plan for growth, they will back it, when they srart seeing some progress it will help the momentum.
Playing in league 1 with gates of 8000 in a 10 to 12000 capacity atmospheric stadium that gives the same sense of pride felt by the Saints rugby fans, is key to any long term success and has got to be our ultimate goal.
Getting 4000 more supporters happily  coming through the gate to watch league 1 football over a 5 year period with increased revenues in all other areas is equivalent to your £17m but a lot more valuable long term.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23623 on: January 01, 2019, 10:07:53 am »

As I have said repeatedly, doing something just for the sake of it is hardly progress. Nobody is able to illustrate a fan owned club that has achieved much more than we are currently doing. There is virtually no examples of investment in infrastructure. Certainly no significant examples of investment in players.

Iím not suggesting that we are lucky to have what weíve got. Far from it. But at the very worse it is no different to what we have endured for decades. Every managerial appointment has been almost universally accepted. We certainly saw probably one of the best seasons most of us have ever seen. In addition to that, I can't see any evidence that we are any worse of than most of the lower league clubs in this country. we appear to be bobbing along as an ok led, solvent business. With the addition of a couple of decent signings, we could potentially push for the play offs.

So... What Iím saying will draw the usual derision for not being ambitious enough. And all I can do is agree with that. It isnít. But anyone that advocates fan ownership as anything more than a nice change, is quite frankly talking rubbish. For us to push past the current barriers to change we donít need good intentions, we need a cash rich investor.

The reason I suggest we canvass the support is obvious. Debate wise we have somehow managed to make Brexit look a doddle. On one side we have Beds an co, driving around a big red bus, with ridiculous figures on the side, with numbers that are laughable and the business equivalent of wetting your finger and sticking it in the air. Amidst that you have people who sit where I sit. Who arenít mad on the current state of affairs, but want to see something better, but arenít necessarily phased by the current situation. Believing that the club is up for grabs. And hopefully those that are interested, just get on with it. Then in the fan ownership camp, you have the well meaning greens/liberals. They believe that by being nice and remaining hopefull, things will turn out nice. They substitute hard cash with a plethora of optimism and pipe dreams.

At the moment there are no viable altertives to either the current owner, or at least one party that they are in discussions with. I am happy to attend the Trusts board, purely to be enlightened as to what they propose, and indeed what figures they are projecting. I'm interested to what extent they have looked at the figures etc. Like any interested party, they deserve a chance to prove they can progress us past the bottom two leagues.

A lot has been said on many forums about who runs our club. I spend a huge amount of time in two cities that for me epitomise the struggles of football. Portsmouth & Plymouth. Both sides that are definitely bigger than us. I spend many evenings in pubs and restaurants in both cities. A reasonable chunk of my work life is spent their. Plymouth's chairman James Brent took them from potential liquidation to a well financed solvent club over a seven year period. However, he is stepping down as chairman , to a backdrop of vitriol aimed at him from social media. Attendances and gate receipts are up, but the are looking like relegation fodder at the moment. The current development of their main stand is underway, but everyone is universally disappointed at the time it took to achieve, and what a lot of the support see as the knock on effect on the team. James Brent absolutely illustrates the damned if you do, damned if you donít culture that prevails on social media.

Portsmouth... Well, an advert for fan ownership or not. Erm.. They are delighted with fan ownership, because it saved them. It didnít do much for all the poor sods who were owed millions by PFC. But how often have any of us shed a tear for those that were screwed over by NTFC numerous times over the years. In general fan ownership was viewed as a safety net when the club was insolvent, but thatís where the gratitude generally ends. I donít find many supporters that entertained the idea of progression under fan ownership. It will come as no surprise that Michael Eisner (Tornante company) he of Disney extract, is viewed as the second coming. In short... The fan ownership was seen as a period of well meaning babysitting and no more.

So after all of that. And Iím the first to accept that is only my view. I remain where I always have. Until something better comes along, we are where we are. However, in my mind at the moment, something better, is not fan ownership. But, I might feel different after meeting the Trust.
Report Spam   Logged
meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #23624 on: January 01, 2019, 10:20:29 am »

Fan ownership discussion a bit like discussing Brexit. A lot of arguing over a concept and very little detail. That's where the Trust can step in. Get Supporters Direct down and start seriously discussing the various fan-ownership models. Start canvassing local business interests for a joint share.

Never been a better time for fan ownership though in terms of EFL turnover, steady gates with potential to increase, New TV deal income up, FA Cup prize money up, Checkatrade prize money up. Any assault on the Championship or higher will take mega money. KT has had a fair amount of time to attract that investment and hasn't done it, in that light a sustainable fan-owned club is a realistic and sensible prospect.

One of the first things a fan-owned entity should do is explore a sporting club setup with the Saints and Steelbacks imo.
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
« Reply #23625 on: January 01, 2019, 10:35:48 am »

How about asking all the fans what they want first ?
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #23626 on: January 01, 2019, 10:43:10 am »

How about asking all the fans what they want first ?

The whole point of a trust is to democratically represent the supporters. Table some fan ownership options and put them to the supporters, absolutely nothing to lose.
Report Spam   Logged
Boring Bar Steward

View Profile
« Reply #23627 on: January 01, 2019, 11:16:12 am »

More realistically I believe the best fans could hope for is for say a 10% stake by raising initially £500,000. The other 90% would need to come from individuals, I would prefer nine putting in £500,000 each rather than one individual!
I have no inside knowledge just an opinion.
The capital would be needed to buy the club and put in Executive boxes to attract business people.

The Trust could be the catalyst with a media campaign.

Something must happen NOW else we will slide out of the League in the coming years!!!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 11:36:59 am by Boring Bar Steward » Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Suffer fools gladly

View Profile
« Reply #23628 on: January 01, 2019, 11:35:28 am »

I have heard on the qt that he is a Posh fan!

Orient - born in Leyton
Report Spam   Logged

Don't mistake activity for achievement
everbrite

Suffer fools gladly

View Profile
« Reply #23629 on: January 01, 2019, 11:53:11 am »

Random, you are very good at picking up on what people say. So, in a reciprocal argument, I offer the following : you noticed an advert? Whoopee ding dong. Well done son. I now expect you to bombard me with "facts". Dont let me down.  

Looks like he has done a runner Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Don't mistake activity for achievement
random

View Profile
« Reply #23630 on: January 01, 2019, 14:15:07 pm »

what do you want Tcobb?
Report Spam   Logged
random

View Profile
« Reply #23631 on: January 01, 2019, 14:41:19 pm »

The point I was trying to make is that someone has to lead for the vast majority to follow. I think the first thing to do it to start putting pressure on KT at games to let him know that some fans want progress.

If KT continues to be given an easy ride (at games & in media) then he will just continue mothballing the club and wait to see if an overseas investor thinks we are just outside London so worth millions.

It might also help if the Trust could publish some info on how Wycombe achieved their ownership to at least indicate what is possible. Of those whom seem anti fan ownership are under the impression that you need extra millions to survive, I don't believe this to be the case, especially for us with such potential on our doorstep :ie: we are not competing with a major Premiership club and we also have a long established history plus large catchment area.

One big problem with most fans is they are so focussed on the playing side, take Tcobb for example (and this not a dig) but you posted on another thread that the team was crap, get rid and we need to bring in more players whilst you post very little in actual content regarding the ownership and why the team we have is play so crap. An endless cycle of owners who do nothing in infrastruture but appease most fans with endless supply of mediocre players and managers. We have to move past this and take steps to build a future, Swansea were a great example, people who loved the club, had a plan for all aspects of the club and got to the Prem. They sold out and surprise surprise they get relegated. KT has no interest in doing any of this, he never has and guess what, he took a 13 point league winning side and destroyed any goodwill and feel good factor we had within 12 months.

Look around the leagues and in general the teams that are doing well (above their weight) are those that have passion, belief, community and togetherness at their core. Liverpool are an example, Man U are also a classic example of when they got it wrong to recently getting it wrong. I am not saying it is easy but surely its time to try something else.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23632 on: January 01, 2019, 19:03:46 pm »

Of those whom seem anti fan ownership are under the impression that you need extra millions to survive

Whoís said thatís?

Nobody has said you need millions to ďsurviveĒ..

I agree with you on focusing supporters attention. Hence why I keep asking the Trust to stop accumulating wealth, and actually spend some of it on asking what supporters want. If on the whole they are happy with KT, your opinion counts for nothing. If they want fan ownership, then letís push on and go for it.

Iím sure what media you are on about either. Radio Northampton has never backed anything. And the joke that is the chron.. Well, we all know how shy the that is.

It has to start from asking the questions in an organised way. Iíve said that from day one.
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
« Reply #23633 on: January 01, 2019, 19:59:00 pm »

The point I was trying to make is that someone has to lead for the vast majority to follow. I think the first thing to do it to start putting pressure on KT at games to let him know that some fans want progress.

If KT continues to be given an easy ride (at games & in media) then he will just continue mothballing the club and wait to see if an overseas investor thinks we are just outside London so worth millions.

It might also help if the Trust could publish some info on how Wycombe achieved their ownership to at least indicate what is possible. Of those whom seem anti fan ownership are under the impression that you need extra millions to survive, I don't believe this to be the case, especially for us with such potential on our doorstep :ie: we are not competing with a major Premiership club and we also have a long established history plus large catchment area.

One big problem with most fans is they are so focussed on the playing side, take Tcobb for example (and this not a dig) but you posted on another thread that the team was crap, get rid and we need to bring in more players whilst you post very little in actual content regarding the ownership and why the team we have is play so crap. An endless cycle of owners who do nothing in infrastruture but appease most fans with endless supply of mediocre players and managers. We have to move past this and take steps to build a future, Swansea were a great example, people who loved the club, had a plan for all aspects of the club and got to the Prem. They sold out and surprise surprise they get relegated. KT has no interest in doing any of this, he never has and guess what, he took a 13 point league winning side and destroyed any goodwill and feel good factor we had within 12 months.

Look around the leagues and in general the teams that are doing well (above their weight) are those that have passion, belief, community and togetherness at their core. Liverpool are an example, Man U are also a classic example of when they got it wrong to recently getting it wrong. I am not saying it is easy but surely its time to try something else.

Problem is for someone to lead so the others follow, the Leader has to have a plan.   Yours is so vague and lacking in detail it is in my eyes incapable of being taken seriously.

I can only speak for myself personally. I would only countenance a fans led take over if:

1 They could demonstrate significant funding.I would only even consider deviating from this if I thought we were about to go into Administration. The present owners business plan is they want to sell for the maximum price. They will therefore support the club in the short term, if only for their own ambitions.

2 A clear business plan is put forward. Where is the funding coming from, on what basis? No waffle. A plan that could be presented to a Bank who would buy into the view that would advance NTFC as a viable business., sufficiently enough that they would provide significant funding to cover medium term losses. Say for example relegation from the football league.

3. A clear Management structure. Detailed CVs. Who is responsible for what. I am firmly against management by committee. In my view it rarely if ever works.

I accept I am to a degree of asking too much too soon but you are asking us to take a leap of faith. I do not know your and your backers sufficiently well to be able to support this

Report Spam   Logged
cobblerwatch

View Profile
« Reply #23634 on: January 01, 2019, 20:12:04 pm »

Problem is for someone to lead so the others follow, the Leader has to have a plan.   Yours is so vague and lacking in detail it is in my eyes incapable of being taken seriously.

I can only speak for myself personally. I would only countenance a fans led take over if:

1 They could demonstrate significant funding.I would only even consider deviating from this if I thought we were about to go into Administration. The present owners business plan is they want to sell for the maximum price. They will therefore support the club in the short term, if only for their own ambitions.

2 A clear business plan is put forward. Where is the funding coming from, on what basis? No waffle. A plan that could be presented to a Bank who would buy into the view that would advance NTFC as a viable business., sufficiently enough that they would provide significant funding to cover medium term losses. Say for example relegation from the football league.

3. A clear Management structure. Detailed CVs. Who is responsible for what. I am firmly against management by committee. In my view it rarely if ever works.

I accept I am to a degree of asking too much too soon but you are asking us to take a leap of faith. I do not know your and your backers sufficiently well to be able to support this

You are not asking too much - what you suggest are the fundamental essentials to move from theoretical pie in the sky to something that might just work - alas currently I see nothing from the usual suspects apart from giving KT some stick (which won"t make one iota of difference)
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
« Reply #23635 on: January 01, 2019, 20:55:04 pm »

You could ask Thomas and co the very same confirmation of their 'plans for our club...
3.5 years on and its still the small band of loyal supporters paying at the gate, a little input from local buisneses and our share of tv monies...
All the above would still be available to any group taking over so financially we are starting from the exact same place but with damned sight more local good will.
Report Spam   Logged
random

View Profile
« Reply #23636 on: January 01, 2019, 21:50:23 pm »

Ok I will have a go Pedj......

I will pay off the HMRC bill and I have £4.5m to invest and will finish the East stand.

Oh and i don't support or live in Northampton

That I assume is more than good enough for you, as I don't understand why you want those with a very genuine love of NTFC to be 1000000% accountable and what them know everything and prove all to you before they have even started. But as above shows:  outsiders and their broken promises who turn up only actually interest in surrounding land are welcomed with unquestioned and opening arms

Report Spam   Logged
guest3245
« Reply #23637 on: January 01, 2019, 22:27:28 pm »

Can I just re-iterate:

We have local councils who are in special measures due to failure of Fiscal Management.

No way will any Goverrnment body give NTFC any land or money.

Be grateful that NTFC still has a ground to play in.

Those who want more......  Buy the land, and lease it back to the club.....   Go on..... Do it, else shut the f@ up.  (Aparently, you only have to troll up to a bank and ask for £xM..... yes?Huh?)

(For those who say the club should do blah-di-blah..... get a business plan together & do it yourselves.....  You will be on to a multi-million-pound payout, as well as being the heroes of of NTFC !!!!!  )

Big hugs, my keyboard fantasists!
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #23638 on: January 01, 2019, 22:32:33 pm »

Can I just re-iterate:

We have local councils who are in special measures due to failure of Fiscal Management.

No way will any Goverrnment body give NTFC any land or money.

Be grateful that NTFC still has a ground to play in.

Those who want more......  Buy the land, and lease it back to the club.....   Go on..... Do it, else shut the f@ up.  (Aparently, you only have to troll up to a bank and ask for £xM..... yes?Huh?)

(For those who say the club should do blah-di-blah..... get a business plan together & do it yourselves.....  You will be on to a multi-million-pound payout, as well as being the heroes of of NTFC !!!!!  )

Big hugs, my keyboard fantasists!
Why don't you shut the f@ up.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #23639 on: January 02, 2019, 10:03:42 am »

I think that a fans run/fans influenced club could work and be the way forward.......then I read some of the posts on here.......and suddenly I have my doubts!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Pages: 1 ... 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 [1182] 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 ... 1305   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: