The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:17:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Redevelopment Closer Than Ever?

Pages: 1 ... 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 [1277] 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 ... 2181   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Redevelopment Closer Than Ever?  (Read 1820674 times)
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #25520 on: September 14, 2019, 21:13:33 pm »

Too bloody right!
We can still dream though,doh!
Yes we can dream, and we all do, aspiring towards those heights, that deep down we know will not be achieved. We all know that we will get the odd promotion, and slide back down again two years later. This is how it is as a Cobblers fan. This is what you sign up for. A year of sucess and a lot more years of mediocrity. Until somebody turns up with a truck full of cash, its going to remain that way.
And a self employed plasterer from Luton, need not bother replying to this.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #25521 on: September 14, 2019, 22:57:30 pm »

On the other hand because you’ve were brought up eating white bread it doesn’t mean you always have to eat the stuff. 

You and ST Ed seem to be white bread people.  I am not.......

Your devotion to Beds (& yrs) theme seems to be disturbing yr balance of mind...using white bread as an analogy seems a bit nutty?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #25522 on: September 14, 2019, 22:59:47 pm »

Beds, youre really are getting to be tedious now.

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #25523 on: September 15, 2019, 07:32:51 am »

Your devotion to Beds (& yrs) theme seems to be disturbing yr balance of mind...using white bread as an analogy seems a bit nutty?
Oh the irony  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #25524 on: September 15, 2019, 08:36:54 am »

The truth is VC that it goes beyond infrastructure and type of ownership. The fundamental financial structure outside of the championship is flawed. I am afraid much of what goes on is unsustainable, including at Sixfields. Our current owners are 5 million in apparently and have achieved nothing. Everything you need to know is right there. Bolton with the Reebok nearly went to the wall, whilst people will put up the all too predictable excuses for this, the evidence is damning. For every success story there is a failure and anybody with real money will proceed with caution. Even then they could do a Max Griggs and walk with all too predictable results. I am afraid the dispassionate answer is semi professional for division 1 & 2. As a supporter there is nothing I would hate more, the financial reality tells another story. Bury is the start and more will follow, as you say. Dreams are fine but it comes with a risk attached. If every club was semi professional and spending was capped at say 70% of turnover it would be a level playing field and clubs would be no longer at risk from some of the incompetence that goes on. I am fully aware that this is going to go down like a bag of sick and I hate the idea myself, I am just calling it as I see it. Perhaps when a few more clubs with a proud history implode the powers that be will act? Let’s just hope we are still around when and if it happens.

Melbourne - I agree that the fundamental financial structure is flawed and whilst your suggestion of part time professionals makes good sense the trend is in the opposite direction.  I don’t think there is a side in the National League (Conference in old money) that has not got a squad of full time players and this has extended itself to small clubs in National Leagues North & South.  Having a squad of full time players impacts significantly not only the wage bills for the players but all the attendant managerial and support staff that need to go full time.  You might say that economic madness prevails in the game and I wouldn’t disagree.  At the top end of the game whilst Bury disappears Premier League clubs spend millions on squad players who spend a season or two warming the bench before disappearing to other leagues.

The EFL have commissioned an independent report on Bury to be followed by one on the EFL regulations financial fair play rules , fit and proper person test  etc.  But when the report appears and is digested it will be the owners of 71 EFL clubs who vote on any changes and self-interest is more likely than not going to prevail.  Supporters of the clubs will not have any direct say. 

I was not exactly advocating the untried and untested in putting forward the 50+1 model.  It has worked well in Germany where it has long been recognised that supporters are not customers in the conventional sense , that football clubs are an intrinsic part of the local community and that supporters should have a say in matters affecting them like ticket prices and the scheduling of matches.  But it runs deeper than that.  It is a cultural thing and part of the post WW2 settlement in which the consensus of the people is sought.

I know from your postings that you are a successful businessman and that you approach matters NTFC wearing your businessman’s hat.  That is fine. I also work very much in the private sector and I can see your direction of travel.  My point is that football clubs are different animals than the conventional private ltd liability company although that is what the structure of English football is based on.  I think it needs to and may have to change at least at Leagues 1 & 2 levels to something along the German lines.  I am making this comment about English football generally and not NTFC specifically.  There are different ownership models in existence already at Exeter, Newport and Wycombe and they appear to be working. North of the border Motherwell is supporter owned and Hearts have an interesting model involving the Foundation of Hearts supporters’ trust. 

We both agree that EFL football at NTFC’s level is unsustainable in the medium to long term under the present financial structure.  I extend this to the legal ownership structure (composition).  We agree that more clubs will follow Bury into oblivion before anything is done.  We have our own historic problems at NTFC.  You can see from the reaction to what I posted yesterday that some, even many, are content with the present situation and impliedly think our present owners are doing a good or reasonable job. I beg to differ. 

Like in politics, events will dictate what happens at NTFC.  Once our owners have their way with the Council on the land they will be gone as soon as they can find a buyer probably at a “give away” price since the killing will have been made on selling on the land with planning permission to another bigger developer approved by NBC. May I be wrong. I don't want to be a prophet of doom but I see problems ahead for the club on top of those that already exist.  The 50+1 model (essentially a joint venture) may be the best way forward when the time comes.

Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #25525 on: September 15, 2019, 11:49:14 am »

Sensible post VC, my comments regarding part time are obviously also a general observation rather than specifically directed at NTFC. I think an additional problem can sometimes be that when a money man comes in they can often make egocentric decisions which are proven to be reckless with hindsight. Therefore legislation provides a solution which the German model happens to be founded upon. I am normally against more legislation generally, but in this instance I believe it should form the backbone of any structure moving forward. I also think the wider football community should consider some drastic moves to protect the lower levels of the pyramid. Since the influx of foreign players over the last 20 years home grown talent has had to often ply there trade lower down the ladder initially. There are numerous examples of this where players have subsequently moved up to the prem. Dele Ali, Jamie Vardy etc etc. Allow the lower leagues to implode and the opportunities for home grown talent will be squeezed further? Therefore it is in everyone’s interest that the lower divisions are protected and allowed to flourish. In part this has to include an end to reckless spending and ego driven fantasy ventures. This will only work if the same rules apply to all lower league clubs without exception. The German model would certainly provide this to some extent? There would of course be some challenges to overcome, but it is blatantly obvious that the current system is broken and shouldn’t be allowed to continue unregulated, at least that’s what I think.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 17:40:47 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
1971cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Search Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #25526 on: September 15, 2019, 18:40:53 pm »

When the page views on this exceed the million, will the forum go all Y2K on us & go into meltdown?

Not long now...
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC87

View Profile
Fourth year Anniversary Apple User Level 4
« Reply #25527 on: September 15, 2019, 20:34:00 pm »

1 million
Report Spam   Logged
1971cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #25528 on: September 16, 2019, 09:56:04 am »

1 million

Next target, 2 million!

PS - East stand will still look the same as it does now! Sad
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC87

View Profile
Fourth year Anniversary Apple User Level 4
« Reply #25529 on: September 17, 2019, 01:25:36 am »

Next target, 2 million!

PS - East stand will still look the same as it does now! Sad
was thinking about the 2 million views myself 😃 How long you think it will take and agree the east stand still won't be finished
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #25530 on: September 17, 2019, 07:52:41 am »

was thinking about the 2 million views myself 😃 How long you think it will take and agree the east stand still won't be finished
The strange thing being no one knows what a 'finished East stand looks like, so I can only assume it's a cheap basic fit out to allow a row of corporate boxes, Restaurant large bar and toilet block, none of which can take place until Thomas gets out, as hes made it abundantly clear he wont be doing anything after these long 4 years of land grabbing.
So even if the the East stand ever gets finished to a basic standard, our club still finds itself still unable to trade and be self sufficient in league 1 due to severe capacity restrictions that can costs over £300,000 per season!
So until we get in owners who are here for the club and wants a good future for it, this will keep getting regurgitated.
I dont believe Thomas and co will hang on indefinitely, he knows now his inability to do what he intended to do is causing our clubs future great  harm,
Even his 'biggest followers ' can now see he's just keeping it a L2 side in a very basic ground, just ticking over until they get the land they require.
Maybe promotion to L1 this year will force the issue to the fore? We can only hope.

Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #25531 on: September 17, 2019, 08:44:44 am »

Maybe the East Stand is finished.
Report Spam   Logged
andycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #25532 on: September 17, 2019, 10:47:56 am »

Maybe the East Stand is finished.

Cheesy air conditioned. Stand of the future Grin
Report Spam   Logged

if you hate peterborough clap your hands and Fxxk off poxford.
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #25533 on: September 17, 2019, 14:26:30 pm »

I genuinely couldn't give a fcuk about the East Stand. It has been used to fuel so many peoples agendas. It's like the Brexit of NTFC. An excuse for all of the idiots to come out of the woodwork.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #25534 on: September 17, 2019, 16:19:48 pm »

I genuinely couldn't give a fcuk about the East Stand. It has been used to fuel so many peoples agendas. It's like the Brexit of NTFC. An excuse for all of the idiots to come out of the woodwork.
Why so many posts from you on this thread then? An innocent bystander could be forgiven for thinking it's been fuelling your agenda for quite sometime!
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #25535 on: September 17, 2019, 16:42:55 pm »

A quick check reveals 35 out of your last 60 posts alone are on this thread.
Isn't that slightly unbalanced, even for a mod?
Report Spam   Logged
1971cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #25536 on: September 17, 2019, 19:42:44 pm »

The strange thing being no one knows what a 'finished East stand looks like, so I can only assume it's a cheap basic fit out to allow a row of corporate boxes, Restaurant large bar and toilet block, none of which can take place until Thomas gets out, as hes made it abundantly clear he wont be doing anything after these long 4 years of land grabbing.
So even if the the East stand ever gets finished to a basic standard, our club still finds itself still unable to trade and be self sufficient in league 1 due to severe capacity restrictions that can costs over £300,000 per season!
So until we get in owners who are here for the club and wants a good future for it, this will keep getting regurgitated.
I dont believe Thomas and co will hang on indefinitely, he knows now his inability to do what he intended to do is causing our clubs future great  harm,
Even his 'biggest followers ' can now see he's just keeping it a L2 side in a very basic ground, just ticking over until they get the land they require.
Maybe promotion to L1 this year will force the issue to the fore? We can only hope.

Beds, Melbourne has got a great book tip going on the Stevenage thread. Get a copy sorted, pick the winning Euromillions numbers and, hey presto, you can be the master of the Cobblers destiny?

Grin
Report Spam   Logged
1971cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #25537 on: September 17, 2019, 19:44:23 pm »

I reckon it will get to two million on the day the UK finally leave the EU?
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #25538 on: September 17, 2019, 20:55:42 pm »

Beds, Melbourne has got a great book tip going on the Stevenage thread. Get a copy sorted, pick the winning Euromillions numbers and, hey presto, you can be the master of the Cobblers destiny?

Grin
The full backing of the town of Northampton and the club supporters are all we need.
Thomas wont be here forever and then we'll start being competitive in L1.
Melbourne hasn't got a clue🤣🤣
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #25539 on: September 17, 2019, 21:15:43 pm »

A quick check reveals 35 out of your last 60 posts alone are on this thread.
Isn't that slightly unbalanced, even for a mod?

It’s his duty as a mod out of those 35 how many where a rebuff to Beds?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 [1277] 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 ... 2181   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: