The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:59:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Redevelopment Closer Than Ever?

Pages: 1 ... 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 [1338] 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 ... 2181   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Redevelopment Closer Than Ever?  (Read 1820747 times)
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #26740 on: April 05, 2020, 11:20:38 am »

I think that the fans of most clubs in the 72 will be glad to have a professional team to support in 6 months  time.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #26741 on: April 05, 2020, 12:00:10 pm »

Beds was last seen on Facebook but that was I think a while ago. Much maligned (not by MC who tried to engage with Beds constructively) by many on here so he looks to have decided enough was enough.  

Whilst Beds' economics may have been back of the envelope fantasies his general criticism of the lack of direction of the club under the past and present owners was well founded.

This was in the pre-COVID-19 era.  The landscape has since changed dramatically.  It is difficult to see anything happening on the land for some time ahead even if KT strikes a deal with NBC.  That in turn will have consequences.  Time for a radical re-think in terms of everything, including the ownership model/structure.

What are you saying...the hill has gone?  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #26742 on: April 05, 2020, 13:22:53 pm »

No, but the puddle has dried up..... Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #26743 on: April 05, 2020, 14:56:46 pm »

I think that the fans of most clubs in the 72 will be glad to have a professional team to support in 6 months  time.

A very good takeover opportunity - clubs available at knockdown prices.
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #26744 on: April 05, 2020, 18:04:15 pm »

Well lets hope its not the supporters purchasing the Clubs then.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #26745 on: April 20, 2020, 21:28:53 pm »

Been watching some old Cobblers DVDs and digging out my old scrapbooks. Found some interesting articles and bits on a DVD about the proposed move to Brackmils. The main proposal was a ground with an athletics track which would have been awful. And there was a 3 sided ground option would you believe, like Oxford.
Then we reach the Sixfields development and I think the phrase was that it will have state of the art facilities making it the envy of many League clubs up and down the country. Sadly in 25 years it no longer is (if it ever was). Better than the County Ground I suppose. The disabled viewing in the East Stand was very good to be fair. The West Stand itself is decent but that's about it. I guess it was built before exec boxes were common place other than the top grounds.
There was also something about Derek Banks' plan to build a 1,400 seat stand in 1988 to replace the meccano stand but needed 500 advanced new season ticket sales to help fund it. He got 12 applications so shelved it and sold up to Dick Underwood a few months later.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #26746 on: April 20, 2020, 22:31:14 pm »

Clever comment Coolie - more to you than a Globe Trotting Beer Swiller  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #26747 on: May 22, 2020, 23:35:21 pm »

To label me as someone who knows the problem (the current owners) but offers no solution I think your memory is failing you.  I have long advocated the Bundesliga 50+1 model as an alternative. See the Redevelopment thread and this was well before COVID-19.

And despite the continuing obsession with the Trust exhibited by the Man Who Would Be King, despite CJ's best efforts, events are moving in the general direction I am supporting.  In case it has not come to readers attention please see the following:

https://damiancollins.com/a-way-forward-for-football/

I think it is time to transfer this thread to where it belongs in Cobblers Corner rather than hiding it in the backwoods of this site.  The face masks debate is done and dusted but this debate is going to run.

Not so VC, you have indeed offered the German model as an alternative, and I enthusiastically endorse it! This has been a suggestion on this board for around 2 years by my reckoning? However, we currently appear to remain in a minority of 4 or 5 at best, which by my calculation makes it rather unrealistic as a proposal? If you recall I stated that what’s required is a realistic alternative? However, if you also recall I have been linking comments from Dr Rob Wilson on this forum for about a year and it seems common sense may be gaining momentum? What the German model needs above all else to succeed is government legislation. A few months ago that seemed as likely as the Duke of Edinburgh winning men’s triple jump gold at the Tokyo Olympics? Please god maybe, just maybe there is a hint of a new dawn on a brighter future? Perhaps if the trust were to link with other trusts and do a bit of lobbying, this may assist in getting this at the forefront of discussions? Hopefully the membership would endorse such a proposal, just a suggestion?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 00:00:40 am by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #26748 on: May 23, 2020, 06:49:28 am »

Thank you, MC. I just wanted to make clear and remind you (and others) that I have long been arguing for an alternative business model going forward. 

I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion that this board is representative of the wider body of support and that on this subject there is a minority of only 4 or 5.  By contrast, of the group of 4 with whom I attend matches at Sixfields all are in favour of the 50+1 model.  As it happens, all 4 share my views on the current ownership. Of the 4, I am the only one to post on this site. That is not to say there is an overwhelming majority in favour of 50+1 (or, by the by, about our ownership) but I think it may be reasonable to think that a wide, growing body of opinion is in favour of radical change to safeguard our football club and other long established football clubs in the EFL and National League. 

You are absolutely right that a change in the law will be necessary and therefore Damian Collins’ proposal needs to move forward quickly.  Professional commentators are saying that up to 10 EFL clubs are in immediate danger of going under and that a financial crunch is coming for many more clubs when EFL advanced monies (Sky payments largely) are spent.  The end of the summer looks to be that time.  It seems likely that there will be no crowds allowed at stadiums before the end of the year. That there is an existential threat to League 1 & 2 clubs, including NTFC, cannot be underestimated.  Several Championship clubs must also be under threat.

You mention the Trust.  All I know is that it is not sitting on its hands.  I understand there is regular contact with other Trusts including Exeter, Motherwell and Hearts which are all community owned clubs.  Something good may come out of something bad but time is short and looking at the proposals I forecast that many EFL owners will be resistant and argue for hand-outs with no or few conditions attached citing the £16 million UK Government grant to the Rugby League . 

The resistance will be sophisticated and organised.  Turkeys do not vote for Christmas. It is going to take a national drive from supporters and politicians to bring about change. 

PS. I looked up Damian Collins and see that he was born in Northampton!

Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #26749 on: May 23, 2020, 06:51:56 am »

Further to my earlier post for those interested a rather pertinent analysis from Business Ghana http://www.businessghana.com/site/news/sports/213685/EFL:-How-coronavirus-is-affecting-lower-league-clubs,-players,-fans-and-livelihoods
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #26750 on: June 10, 2020, 14:03:07 pm »

Northampton Town stand loan: £500k deal 'close'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-52977873

A deal to help complete a multi-million pound football stand at the centre of a long-running financial debacle has been proposed, the BBC has learned.

Northampton Town FC was originally loaned £10m from Northampton Borough Council to refurbish its East Stand - before work stalled in 2014.

The whereabouts of the money has since been subject to a police investigation.

A council spokesman said the sale of neighbouring development land for about £500,000 was being negotiated.

The club would be given an option to buy council-owned land next to Sixfields stadium, on condition the grandstand was finished.

The BBC understands this also includes a deadline of 31 July to sign the relevant paperwork.

The deal would would see the council sharing the proceeds of any subsequent development with the club.

A £3m cap on the cost of completing the stand was also likely to be part of the deal.

Northampton Town was originally loaned more than £10m to refurbish the stand and redevelop the land, but the contractors - Buckingham Group - left the site in 2014 because they were not paid.

Work resumed the following year but when payments still were not made the contractors downed tools again, putting the development company responsible for the project - 1st Land Ltd - into administration.

A spokesman for the club, which has since got new owners, told the BBC: "The overriding principle, as it always has been, is the development of the East Stand and that is an agreed point with Northampton Borough Council.

"In addition, NBC will need to demonstrate best value for any disposal of the freehold land, which is also accepted by the Football Club."

He said the club "does feel it has made progress" in discussions.

The "missing millions" have been subject to a four-and-a-half year police investigation which has cost the council £1m in legal fees and led to multiple arrests and files prepared on 30 suspects.

The BBC understands the proposal is to split the proceeds of the land development equally between the council and the football club.

A council spokesman confirmed discussions were taking place and said it had been "no secret" the football club was keen to develop the land, and had "put forward ideas for a number of possible development schemes".

He added: "Should a development deal progress, then the East Stand of the stadium absolutely must be built before any further development takes place, and any deal must deliver best value for the tax payer."
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 19:57:36 pm by memyhead » Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #26751 on: June 10, 2020, 14:23:24 pm »

Anything new there, apart from a figure and a deadline?

Council still saying "Stand first, enything else later"
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
« Reply #26752 on: June 10, 2020, 14:52:35 pm »

Excellent news.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3264

« Reply #26753 on: June 10, 2020, 17:52:09 pm »

Please, please, please let it happen so we can put the issue to bed and move on!

Plus I hope the Police FINALLY conclude their investigation (after nearly 5 years!!!) and hammer any individuals who have broken the law!
Report Spam   Logged
guest2934

« Reply #26754 on: June 11, 2020, 04:04:54 am »

There's never been a better time to build. Money in the bank is worthless and raising it is cheap.

Lets hope finally some sense emerges and that fucking abortion gets finished before Christmas while the ground is empty. They could even work on matchdays to save on ball boys.

A win at Wembley wouldn't harm the chances.. Some potential full houses, Sunderland, Ipswich and I've forgotten now, who else will still be in league one next season?
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #26755 on: June 11, 2020, 08:34:23 am »

Hopefully this can now be pushed on. Anybody who has been involved in this sort of thing, will appreciate the amount of work and tricky negotiation that goes into a favourable outcome. If it comes to fruition, in my opinion both parties are to be congratulated, especially taking into account all of the unnecessary interference and petty distractions that have been a distraction from the ultimate objective.

But.. Let's wait and see. It's not like we're not equipped for further disappointment...  Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #26756 on: June 11, 2020, 08:37:45 am »

The Trust have released a statement via Facebook off the back of this news.....you can guess their response! Roll Eyes

East Stand development update

Here is the full statement from Northampton Town Supporters Trust which was provided to the BBC:-

"The deal on the East Stand has not been shared with the Supporters Trust and we have had only limited insight through freedom of information requests to Northampton Borough Council.
"Our reaction has to be constrained by the painful experiences of the last commercial arrangements that the council struck with the club, namely the £10.2million loan under the previous owners the Cardozas and the non-legally binding agreement with the present owners, which has seen no progress on delivering the East Stand from the owners' own funds. 
"While clearly we welcome progress towards the completion of the East Stand, it should be on terms which do not compromise the interests of the football club and the local taxpayer.
"Given the still largely unrecovered sum of £10.2 million, we believe any deal has to have the support of the wider council and not least the local taxpayers, who have had to shoulder that shortfall.
"Any attempt to cloak this deal in 'commercial confidentiality', given the wretched history of this long-running saga, is entirely unacceptable."
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 09:57:53 am by memyhead » Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
« Reply #26757 on: June 11, 2020, 09:47:40 am »

One of the worst pieces of communications from any supporters trust, anywhere I have ever seen.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #26758 on: June 11, 2020, 09:54:11 am »

The Trust have released a statement via Facebook off the back of this news.....you can guess their response! Roll Eyes

Can you put it on here?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Hallsy02

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #26759 on: June 11, 2020, 09:57:35 am »

That means this page will finally end soon 🤷🏻‍♂️
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 [1338] 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 ... 2181   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: