The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 13:09:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Redevelopment Closer Than Ever?

Pages: 1 ... 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 [1530] 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 ... 2180   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Redevelopment Closer Than Ever?  (Read 1819650 times)
Ragdoll Cobbler and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #30580 on: December 06, 2021, 01:12:25 am »

Nice post MC, depends how you define serious wrongdoing.

For myself and I expect others, it is about the morals and trust. Now KT might be getting a harder time from us because he follows on from DC, but there is a very similar pattern, today ask people how many of them trust DC? Asked them did they trust him 6 months before he left?

The Chinese deal, which ever way you look at, is questionable at best, especially given that these people came from nowhere.

If they were bona-fide businessmen with a long history then I expect it would have played out very differently,

If the figures had been say £3m or £4m, you might think, ok KT got a great price for 18 months work.

But £6.68m for a club struggling at the bottom of L1, with no assets or players, especially when the owners paid only £1 and £168k debt only 18 months earlier, for a club that the owners said was not worth developing, £6.68m REALLY?

Then there is this strange loan by the previous owners to the new owners - (the chinese owner 100% of the club then) borrow £1.1m from KT / DB (incidentally a similar amount that they received KT / DB each received privately)

And stranger still they have about 14 days to repay it.

And then stranger still, that £1.1m loan is secured by £6.68m value of shares in the company.

They don't pay so KT/DB call in their security and re-acquire the shares

Yes all transactions "Legal" although given that you are questioned and recorded transactions of £10k for money laundering, who knows.

Other trust (not The Trust) issues regarding KT intentions and actions (for me) that he has no real intentions to move our club forward include:

The announcement of £4m "ringfenced" we will get the East stand done -  6 years and still nothing - expect some basic plans and CGI's

The behind the back of the council deal to get the 22 acres of land

The appointing of a manager who had not achieved promotion in 20 years

The debt loaded onto the club with little asset / balance sheet gains

The debt now at a very similar level to the chinese deal

That around the ground and club there have been very little changes despite around £37m flowing through the hands of the owners. Look around £37m !!!!!!  £37m, luck if the Carr's bar has had £3,700 spent on it in 6 years.

And all of this at a club that has 100 year history, is lucky to have space around it's stadium, is centrally located, with excellent access, with no major club around us, with a local population of 300k. Compare that to Forest Green Rovers or Accrington or Rotherham.

You really think we are lucky to have owners that we do?  You really trust them ?  Expect if you are happy just to stay the same and have L2 football, in a poor ground, with poor facilities then great, you have what you want. I and others want more

Morning Derek, I know we keep going round in circles but the same point needs to be emphasised. You say you and others want more but how exactly are you going to get it. The current owners move on, fine. They either develop the stand, fine, or walk without doing so, fine. The club currently loses around 1 million per season and the division 2 average is £800k. What is the plan to increase the revenue to address that short fall and provide funding to take us to the next level? I ask this not to be clever or to score cheap points of debate. This is a very real problem that will need addressing, no matter what side of the fence you are on. The current owners will leave no matter what us supporters want and the clock is ticking. If we collectively want league 1 football then the Deloitte figures show an average loss per club of 2 million. I understand it’s a generalisation but for us that means a shortfall of 75k a week or so given a 6 month season. That’s obviously back of a fag packet sums but that is roughly the enormity of the task we are facing. On top of that you can probably add any additional redevelopment costs. When anyone insists on what they want of the club then it deserves a credible plan being put forward to get it. My view is there has been entirely too much focus on what people want and don’t want, and very little in the way of how to achieve it. I don’t mean that to be as critical as it sounds but we may have a real problem coming and I can’t help worrying we are stumbling into it blind fold. There are a number of possible scenarios on the horizon. They include the owners leaving and the start of a great new future, or conversely the start of the beginning of the end. Do not believe it will necessarily be the former on faith alone. What’s the plan chaps or are we going to continue trading punches whilst Sixfields burns.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #30581 on: December 06, 2021, 05:41:13 am »

Morning Derek, I know we keep going round in circles but the same point needs to be emphasised. You say you and others want more but how exactly are you going to get it. The current owners move on, fine. They either develop the stand, fine, or walk without doing so, fine. The club currently loses around 1 million per season and the division 2 average is £800k. What is the plan to increase the revenue to address that short fall and provide funding to take us to the next level? I ask this not to be clever or to score cheap points of debate. This is a very real problem that will need addressing, no matter what side of the fence you are on. The current owners will leave no matter what us supporters want and the clock is ticking. If we collectively want league 1 football then the Deloitte figures show an average loss per club of 2 million. I understand it’s a generalisation but for us that means a shortfall of 75k a week or so given a 6 month season. That’s obviously back of a fag packet sums but that is roughly the enormity of the task we are facing. On top of that you can probably add any additional redevelopment costs. When anyone insists on what they want of the club then it deserves a credible plan being put forward to get it. My view is there has been entirely too much focus on what people want and don’t want, and very little in the way of how to achieve it. I don’t mean that to be as critical as it sounds but we may have a real problem coming and I can’t help worrying we are stumbling into it blind fold. There are a number of possible scenarios on the horizon. They include the owners leaving and the start of a great new future, or conversely the start of the beginning of the end. Do not believe it will necessarily be the former on faith alone. What’s the plan chaps or are we going to continue trading punches whilst Sixfields burns.

Very well said.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #30582 on: December 06, 2021, 08:52:24 am »

Firstly you need a breakdown of the £1m losses, I’m pretty sure there are savings to be made and opportunity to increase revenue if an owner was interested.
As I’ve said many times before whoever took over would need a business plan on how to achieve their goals, it all starts by increasing turnover and reducing costs, their are many consultants who can help with the business plan.
The point is KT and DB WILL leave as soon as they get the land deal done so it’s going to happen.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Substitute
Pat McGatt

View Profile
Combination Poll Voter Level 3
« Reply #30583 on: December 06, 2021, 09:04:06 am »

Grate thing about this topic is its full of nuts.
Report Spam   Logged

Let's Swell The Facilities
guest49

« Reply #30584 on: December 06, 2021, 09:27:32 am »

The local consortium who missed out before can step in. It'll be fine.
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #30585 on: December 06, 2021, 10:13:55 am »

Firstly you need a breakdown of the £1m losses, I’m pretty sure there are savings to be made and opportunity to increase revenue if an owner was interested.
As I’ve said many times before whoever took over would need a business plan on how to achieve their goals, it all starts by increasing turnover and reducing costs, their are many consultants who can help with the business plan.
The point is KT and DB WILL leave as soon as they get the land deal done so it’s going to happen.
NTFC had a turnover of £5.37M in 2020 with a staffing cost of £3.96M, the current playing budget is in the region of £1.8M, so where is the other £2.1M going ? I really struggle with this, the shop is outsourced but sells the tickets midweek. I counted 19 people on the "Who's who" on the web page, who will be directly employed by NTFC and I know that their are quite a few others on match days, but that is still a lot of money for non playing staff. Our staff bill is more than Newport County's turnover but they still make a profit  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Frost

View Profile
1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Avatar
« Reply #30586 on: December 06, 2021, 10:19:06 am »

Thanks for the response - I think it's really important in discussion people maintain respect even if views differ - more from a point of discussion I've answered a couple of points you raised

Problem there is that most fans, rightly or wrongly, are not interested in the finer, more complicated decisions involved in running a football club. Niether right or wrong but the reality is for most fans football is an escape from the pressures of real life and whilst of course want the best for their club have very little real interest in the "running" of the club

If we are signing new players, it doesn't even matter if they are any good, then the vast majority are more than happy.Short term maybe but I think the majority of fans can spot a good versus bad buy pretty quickly

Only when it's too late do they start worrying and interested in what the Trust is going to do to save the club - AGAIN.True although up to now almost too late

The Trust and quite a few fans don't want a mediocre East stand with only 200 extra seats - KT wants this deal so he can get out of town asap and is not interested in anything other than a basic short term deal. The council are somewhere in-between.I think you are being kind to the council - there might be an odd platitude but I see them firmly of the view minimum conditions applied and get the deal done

Please tell us how we get a deal everyone is happy with? Unfortunately I think such a scenario doesn't exist - for years you have been saying KT is only interested in the profits from the land sale (and I would tend to agree that's his primary objective) - so why would he change his objectives now particularly as the council has gone soft on him re conditions   

Just a thought going through my head on the council's approach to this - when the club secured the original leases from the council it was of course an opportunity for the benefit of the club and I'm sure that was the intent of the arrangements although as always details were complex and attached covenants not always clear - but by any definition this was essentially a gift by the council tax payers of the town - with years of inaction and of course the disappearance of the £10 million many would not blame the council for thinking they have done enough for the club. If the current owner is able to present his case (and I'm not saying this is the case) as having made substantial investment to save and then keep the club afloat for 6 years their view may well be we have done enough for the club but we will stipulate the mediocre stand is built, let the businessman recover his investment, have the land utilised and draw a line under the whole story which has never made the council appear in a good light.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #30587 on: December 06, 2021, 11:15:45 am »

NTFC had a turnover of £5.37M in 2020 with a staffing cost of £3.96M, the current playing budget is in the region of £1.8M, so where is the other £2.1M going ? I really struggle with this, the shop is outsourced but sells the tickets midweek. I counted 19 people on the "Who's who" on the web page, who will be directly employed by NTFC and I know that their are quite a few others on match days, but that is still a lot of money for non playing staff. Our staff bill is more than Newport County's turnover but they still make a profit  Huh?

What was the playing staff actual cost for 2020 (the year you quote turnover of £5.37 million). Don't we know that the current budget "in the region of £1.8 million" is a cut from previous seasons?

If you can provide that I'll see if I can provide some comparisons with other League 2 clubs.
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #30588 on: December 06, 2021, 11:57:25 am »

I’m still looking forward to getting it all sorted. I’ll let the kids keep crying over spilt milk. 😢😢😢😢

And it's all gone quiet over there😂😂
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #30589 on: December 06, 2021, 12:00:00 pm »

I’m still looking forward to getting it all sorted. I’ll let the kids keep crying over spilt milk. 😢😢😢😢

Don’t hold your breath, I’ll believe it when I see it. 😂
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #30590 on: December 06, 2021, 12:24:15 pm »

Interesting program on BBC tonight Panorama “Follow the Money” it’s setting is care homes but could equally apply to football clubs.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Carton Lid

View Profile
« Reply #30591 on: December 06, 2021, 12:42:57 pm »

What was the playing staff actual cost for 2020 (the year you quote turnover of £5.37 million). Don't we know that the current budget "in the region of £1.8 million" is a cut from previous seasons?

If you can provide that I'll see if I can provide some comparisons with other League 2 clubs.
The figure I quote has come "From the horses mouth" via someone I trust. I do know that a few years ago, probably 4 years ago, the playing budget was in the region of £1.2M , so I'd be surprised if it was cut to £1.8M from one year ago.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #30592 on: December 06, 2021, 17:37:07 pm »

Interesting program on BBC tonight Panorama “Follow the Money” it’s setting is care homes but could equally apply to football clubs.

Believe me… Football has nothing on the care sector. A country mile away.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #30593 on: December 06, 2021, 17:43:54 pm »

In normal circumstances, the club will lose around 500k pa if it budgets to be trying to get promoted from this division or have a reasonable chance of staying up in the 3rd tier. Obviously that will be lower if we cash in on a player, have a decent cup run etc.

I guess around half of the 'debt' was accrued because the budget was increased massively around the time of the Chinese involvement. Of course, that money didn't materialise so the owners we have had to step back in and fund the losses. Then the covid season would have added more pressures...

The 'issue' with the debt is that it is so high because of the Chinese saga. Assuming money was made from the sale of the club, and I have no reason to not believe that was the case, then I guess it comes down to whether or not you believe that ethically is it right or wrong. To be honest, I don't know enough 'detail' to make that judgement (I don't think anybody really does) but even if I did I would probably be fairly blaze about it simply because its a business deal and its got little to do with me. Would I have rather the (6million plus) have been pumped back into the clubs coffers and spent on a new stand/players etc? Yeah, of course! Im sure we all would. Would I rather the owners write off the losses each year instead of lumping more debt via loans? Yeah, again of course I would. Would I like us to have owners who are here for the fun, passion and motivation to get us up the leagues whilst losing millions of their own cash? Yep, too bloody right I would!!

However, and being totally honest. If I ever make enough cash to buy the Cobblers (highly unlikely!!  Grin) , knowing the little bit about tax etc that I do (I run my own business), my 'investment' would be in the form of loans. Simply because its considerably more tax efficient. That's why most clubs are in massive debt.

I think we as fans, are most often a bit to idealistic. We could propel up the leagues if we had a rich owner, but I will never be convinced that we could do it 'organically'. I reckon it would cost someone a minimum of 30million quid to take us to the next level (top end league1/bottom end championship) and be there competing financially with those types of clubs. The likes of Hull, Barnsley. I wouldn't say Sunderland or Ipswich because clearly they are boxing below their weight. On the flip side, Luton are boxing way above their weight (but I think are losing millions p.a doing so).

Bottom end championship club = circa 15million minimum wage bill. 8 times roughly ours. And about 9million more than our turnover. Think about how much it would cost to put in infrastructure and a team on the field that could generate that type of wedge. And that would only move us up around 24 places in the football league. Unless we had a one off season, like Wycombe did or Barnsley did last season (when they nearly made it to the prem).

We could go round and round in circles here and I think we will!
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #30594 on: December 06, 2021, 17:46:20 pm »

I’m not surprised to see a concerted effort by some to attempt to malign and undermine Tom in the early stages of his role on the board. It will be the same people who support the less democratic factions of our “support”…

The puppet master will be proud of them.
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
« Reply #30595 on: December 06, 2021, 18:33:48 pm »

I’m not surprised to see a concerted effort by some to attempt to malign and undermine Tom in the early stages of his role on the board. It will be the same people who support the less democratic factions of our “support”…

The puppet master will be proud of them.
I told you it's the 15th of June
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #30596 on: December 06, 2021, 19:19:41 pm »

In normal circumstances, the club will lose around 500k pa if it budgets to be trying to get promoted from this division or have a reasonable chance of staying up in the 3rd tier. Obviously that will be lower if we cash in on a player, have a decent cup run etc.

I guess around half of the 'debt' was accrued because the budget was increased massively around the time of the Chinese involvement. Of course, that money didn't materialise so the owners we have had to step back in and fund the losses. Then the covid season would have added more pressures...

The 'issue' with the debt is that it is so high because of the Chinese saga. Assuming money was made from the sale of the club, and I have no reason to not believe that was the case, then I guess it comes down to whether or not you believe that ethically is it right or wrong. To be honest, I don't know enough 'detail' to make that judgement (I don't think anybody really does) but even if I did I would probably be fairly blaze about it simply because its a business deal and its got little to do with me. Would I have rather the (6million plus) have been pumped back into the clubs coffers and spent on a new stand/players etc? Yeah, of course! Im sure we all would. Would I rather the owners write off the losses each year instead of lumping more debt via loans? Yeah, again of course I would. Would I like us to have owners who are here for the fun, passion and motivation to get us up the leagues whilst losing millions of their own cash? Yep, too bloody right I would!!

However, and being totally honest. If I ever make enough cash to buy the Cobblers (highly unlikely!!  Grin) , knowing the little bit about tax etc that I do (I run my own business), my 'investment' would be in the form of loans. Simply because its considerably more tax efficient. That's why most clubs are in massive debt.

I think we as fans, are most often a bit to idealistic. We could propel up the leagues if we had a rich owner, but I will never be convinced that we could do it 'organically'. I reckon it would cost someone a minimum of 30million quid to take us to the next level (top end league1/bottom end championship) and be there competing financially with those types of clubs. The likes of Hull, Barnsley. I wouldn't say Sunderland or Ipswich because clearly they are boxing below their weight. On the flip side, Luton are boxing way above their weight (but I think are losing millions p.a doing so).

Bottom end championship club = circa 15million minimum wage bill. 8 times roughly ours. And about 9million more than our turnover. Think about how much it would cost to put in infrastructure and a team on the field that could generate that type of wedge. And that would only move us up around 24 places in the football league. Unless we had a one off season, like Wycombe did or Barnsley did last season (when they nearly made it to the prem).

We could go round and round in circles here and I think we will!
That doesn’t appear to be the case though. Whilst it is more tax efficient to do things that way it appears there is a significant gap between turnover and spending and most owners don’t have a realistic plan for the club to pay that money back. There are a couple of clubs that seem to be bucking the trend and they are continually held up as examples to demonstrate that we will be fine. What needs to be accepted is that the overwhelming majority don’t get close to breaking even. There has to be more in the pipeline than this otherwise we will continue to limp along under the spectre of insolvency at best, that is a statistical fact. Once the land deal is done and the owners leave we currently have no method of financing the gap between our operating costs and our turnover. Hoping there is some overspend or discrepancy in the accounts to address this issue or expecting that the dormant masses will finally pour through the turnstiles to save us are unlikely solutions. As is clinging onto the one club that breaks even as a comfort blanket, none of these can realistically mitigate the very real risk we face. There is nothing wrong with demanding a stadium to be proud of, or a minimum of league one football. However, there are leagues going the other way on the football ladder and it is currently equally possible that we are heading there, arguably more so.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 19:23:39 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #30597 on: December 06, 2021, 20:15:32 pm »

And it's all gone quiet over there😂😂

We can all be happy that you have stopped spouting figures you've pulled out of your árse.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #30598 on: December 07, 2021, 16:18:17 pm »

Believe me… Football has nothing on the care sector. A country mile away.
Yes but the financial structures are the same. All designed to avoid tax and transparency.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest3338

« Reply #30599 on: December 07, 2021, 16:32:03 pm »

Yes but the financial structures are the same. All designed to avoid tax and transparency.
'it's all about the money'.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 [1530] 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 ... 2180   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: