The Hotel End
April 16, 2024, 22:28:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Wycombe Wanderers

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wycombe Wanderers  (Read 4128 times)
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2010, 15:53:09 pm »

Holty down now..
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2010, 15:53:31 pm »

and again more ex cobblers players score, kirk, low, morison and coke......can we go a week without please, preferably with current cobblers players scoring from open play instead!

Coke does seem to be knocking them in.  Didn't get that many for us did he.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2010, 15:56:04 pm »

1-1 FT
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2010, 15:56:53 pm »

Coke does seem to be knocking them in.  Didn't get that many for us did he.

He did in his first season I seem to remember when he came back from injury
Report Spam   Logged
Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2010, 15:58:52 pm »

Oh well, we're slowly climbing the table - above Bradford at least.

Unbeaten in five.  There's the positive.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
dazza

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2010, 16:29:31 pm »

Lucky to get a point today. We really do have serious problem up front.

Roll on Aldershot..
Report Spam   Logged
PineWoody

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 4
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2010, 16:41:30 pm »

Guinan is not good enough. That is all i have to say on that subject. Mckay looks far more effective outwide where he doesn't have to battle with the bigger stronger centre halves for every touch of the ball.
Report Spam   Logged

GTA Champion - Season 09/10
abington_cobbler

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2010, 16:56:51 pm »

The ref was a disgrace today, very harsh giving handball but to be fair it was a cracking free kick for their goal. I was right behind Thorno's pen and thought the keeper had saved it.

Agree with previous post about needing a striker asap especially if Purcell is out injured.
Report Spam   Logged
Power Football

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2010, 17:01:53 pm »

Really couldn't see the logic in Sammo's team selection today. He got out of jail with that late penalty because there would have been a lot of dissenting voices if that hadn't gone in.

Guinan is neither quick enough or strong enough to play as a lone striker so quite why he was in the starting 11 i have no idea.

We desperately need a new striker because at the moment this is the most toothless Cobblers team that i have seen in the last 15 years.
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2010, 17:13:06 pm »

Lots of positives we can take from that.

After the 120+ mins and then the euphoria of the penalty win midweek, followed by the plum draw in Round 3 of the cup, the players could be forgiven for being a bit fatigued, physically and emotionally drained and having their minds elsewhere for parts of the game but still dug in and got a result in a game we'd probably have collapsed in and lost 3-0 this time last season. The ref tried his hardest to ruin the game which may be a blessing in disguise because in a flowing and fast-paced game we'd probably have shipped a few goals.

Great performances from Wedderburn, Thornton, McKay and Purcell before he came off. Also thought Courtney looked lively.

Unfortunately I think Guinan was yet again showed up today as a player who is just going to slip into the back pocket of whichever defender he's up against at this level. Never looks like getting himself in a goalscoring position and although his lay-offs are good at times and he undoubtedly tries hard, you need more than that from your target man. When Seb came on, the difference was substantial- simply having someone on there chasing down every ball and winning no end of headers (and to be fair to Seb there isn't a better header of the ball in the side) we suddenly looked a lot more dangerous and they looked a lot shakier. The improvement in the last ten minutes and Seb replacing Guinan at centre-forward was no coincidence and, whilst I don't see Seb as the permanent solution up front, it did highlight just how much of a difference it makes having a mobile, powerful aerial threat playing as target man and demonstrated exactly why we need someone like that, even if just on loan.
Report Spam   Logged

FezNTFC

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2010, 17:17:23 pm »

The ref was a disgrace today, very harsh giving handball but to be fair it was a cracking free kick for their goal.

That was one of the worst refereeing displays I've seen in a long while. For a start, to give handball was incredibly harsh, but he then blew and didn't have a clue what to give. He looked at the linesman, who didn't know and to be honest he had a random guess. If he gave the handball then it should have been a penalty, because it happened a good yard inside the area. The lad scored an absolute screamer from it, but they shouldn't have had the free-kick in the first place.

It also took the ref 80+ minutes to punish their constant diving, and also to finally penalise them for leading with the elbow every time they went up for a header. Wycombe actually played some decent stuff on the floor at times, so quite why they felt the need to dive and cheat I don't know.

Then it was nicely capped off at the end when their fans started chanting "Can We Have A Referee". This was after he had given us 3 decisions in our own half all game, and had given them everything else. I can only come to the conclusion that they had been looking at the back of the stand all game!
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2010, 17:20:06 pm »

Agree with you, Power.  We were simply dreadful today.  Beckwith was awful, Rodgers managed to run the ball out of play every time he had it, Thornton went AWOL sceond half, and Guinan, well the less said the better.  Once again Sammo's selection played straight into Wycombe's hands, two big central defenders had Guinan in their pockets all game.  

But a special word for the ref, who got every single decision for both sides wrong today.  The two occasions he blew up when HErbert and Jacobs had advantage should have been enough on their own to ensure he never referees a pro game again.
Report Spam   Logged
tigger2002

great badge

View Profile
Apple User Level 5 Windows User
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2010, 18:07:45 pm »

it looked as if the wycombe player hand balled for the free kick and goal but both the ref and lino didnt know what to give, they were very poor.
Report Spam   Logged
ntfcgavin

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2010, 18:22:09 pm »

From where i was sitting beckwith definately handballed it so can have no complaints with that. That said the ref was truley shocking and like its been said on another thread possibly the worst ref we have had since gavin ward! Interestingly enough after the game I had a wycombe fan come up to me and say "how much did you pay that ref today" which i found amusing as he clearly thought he was bias towards us when infact he was terrible for both sides!
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2010, 18:25:38 pm »

We need a foward and FAST!.Guinan showed some nice touches today linking the play up a couple of times but it must be plain to see he is not good enough for the starting line up of a team that is looking to challenge for play offs/promotion. I pray to god that we have not seen the end of purcell for a few months.

The rain and the ref made it a very bitty and scrappy game today. It was obvious that the ref was gonna make it a s*** game early on

I think their goal was a bit of a joke aswel ,it was a nice finish but how guinan didnt know they were gonna push him off the end of the wall I dont know. I hate to keep moaning about guinan , but is it the full backs or guinan himself that has the dilusions about his pace ?. the lofted balls were getting abit boring today , watching him lose in the air or be beaten to the ball over and over again.

Report Spam   Logged

NTFC Nut

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2010, 18:36:00 pm »

The lofted balls are fine so long as you know you've got a forward who's going to win 75% of headers and, more importantly, find a team mate with most of those headers and flick-ons. Harris did a good job of this today when he came on, set up a few chances and tbh he's not a bad shout as a stop gap whilst we find that elusive replacement for Bayo. Better shout than Guinan anyway.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 18:37:47 pm by NTFC Nut » Report Spam   Logged

4everdelayed

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2010, 19:02:27 pm »

Thought Herbert looked alright when he came on... Offers a bit of pace going forward, anyway. It was going well til Purcell got crocked, then we shifted Thornton out wide (from where he kept cutting inside) and had 2 defensive midfielders in the middle, so we could only really get attacks going down the wings. Thornton needs to play in the middle. When Herbert came on we should've played him down the right and taken one of Osman/Wedders off and pushed Thornton back in the middle, I reckon. Guinan didn't do too badly, it seems like people are expecting him to win literally everything up front on his own. I don't think he's our best forward, but he's not deserving all this stick he's getting every week from people who desperately need a scapegoat.

Oh yeah, Rodgers. I would say he had an absolute shocker but he rescued us after Beckwith's howler so fair play to him.
Report Spam   Logged
DustCobb

« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2010, 19:16:49 pm »

If i was looking for a word to describe us i would probably look no further than 'Pedestrian'.

That is our problem, we are so one paced, tippy tappy football, no cutting edge and very indecisive.

On todays game i actually thought Guinan did a half decent job up front, certainly didn't have a bad game, problem is he had very little support. Thornton had a lot of the ball but most of the time had nobody to pass to going forwards to ended up giving it to Wedderburn or Osman and we went sideways or backwards, which is fine if it meant keeping the ball for a reason, but invariably it went to a defender who then proceeded to twat it forward as far as possible.

Rodgers pretty much reconfirmed that he isn't a footballer, probably my fave comment of the day came from the fella near me who likened him to Sanka from Cool Runnings.

The ref was very poor, for both sides. Regarding their free kick, yes it hit Beckwiths hand but certainly wasn't intentional, the ref obviously deemed it intentional to give the free kick and should have therefore booked him! Incidentlly i thought it was actually in the area. Our pen was probably a pen, Holt milked it a bit though!

All in all i suppose we shouldn't expect that much really considering our personnel.
Report Spam   Logged
abington_cobbler

« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2010, 19:33:10 pm »

Handball or not it was in the area so to give the handball the ref should have awarded a penalty not a free kick
Report Spam   Logged
Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2010, 20:07:18 pm »

Ref terrible but the decisions he gave for us in the second half outweighed those that went against us in the first. I reckon he felt a bit guilty and the barracking we gave him definitely helped us to get a point which, to be honest, I don't think we really deserved. Not that I'm complaining.
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: