The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 15:41:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Saints

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saints  (Read 5814 times)
Erith_Cobbler

Badges: (View All)
« on: August 27, 2010, 21:33:10 pm »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/northampton/8949306.stm
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DustCobb

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 21:46:52 pm »

We've been here before haven't we.....Didn't DC mention possible groundshares etc when trying to force the councils hand.
Report Spam   Logged
fatblokecobbler

We all follow the cobblers.................

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 13:51:15 pm »

barwells on the front of todays chronicle whinging about how the council dont want to know about their ground extension,funny that eh?Huh??
Report Spam   Logged

"She stripped to the beat but her clothes stay on."
abington_cobbler

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 15:44:47 pm »

barwells on the front of todays chronicle whinging about how the council dont want to know about their ground extension,funny that eh?Huh??

He was also on Anglia News last night saying that they need the proposed Asda to go ahead to fund the expansion of the ground. He went on to say that he didn't want move away from Northampton/Franklins Gardens but NBC seem to be forcing them out. A council spokeman said that they support the Saints in their plans to expand the ground but an out of town retail development goes against their Town Centre first policy!

Deep down I think NBC know that if they say yes to the Saints DC will be knocking on their door and they will find it hard to say yes to the Saints and no to the Cobblers
Report Spam   Logged
Gonzales

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 20:16:02 pm »

Good riddance to the Saints in my opinion. As a person who has no interest in Rugby, all the Saints do is take away potential fans away from us, and they overshadow us.
If they were to move to MK, then we would probably see an increase in attendances. Also it would give AFC Wimbledon fans the chance to have a little rant at Pete Winkleman, as it was probably his idea for the Saints to move.
Report Spam   Logged
Tyler

Back when we were good...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 20:26:40 pm »

It'd be Barwells idea if anyones Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
The Hask
Martin Hasker

www.TeynAwayDays.com - Away travel for Cobblers

View Profile WWW
Webmaster Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 12:32:51 pm »

Good riddance to the Saints in my opinion. As a person who has no interest in Rugby, all the Saints do is take away potential fans away from us, and they overshadow us.
If they were to move to MK, then we would probably see an increase in attendances. Also it would give AFC Wimbledon fans the chance to have a little rant at Pete Winkleman, as it was probably his idea for the Saints to move.

I am not a rugby lover myself but if the Saints retail gets the go ahead then it will be hard for the council to say no to cobbs.

Personally I cannot see the Asda thing getting through at all.
Report Spam   Logged

www.teynawaydays.com Hotel End GTA Champion 2010/11 - Wearing the claret with pride.    X (Twitter) @martinhasker
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 09:47:10 am »

yep, that's right. Let's wave goodbye to 1000's of people spending money in Northampton and send them to MK.  Do you not think MK is taking enough trade away from Northampton you fool?  And do you really think Saints fans wouldn't go half an hour down the road to much nicer facilities watching international players playing top class Rugger and would rather sit at a rule infested football stadium where you can't drink, stand or even breathe while watching 4th rate footballers amble through 90 minutes.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 10:48:13 am »

New name, Saints MK or MK Saints?  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
PineWoody

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 4
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 11:15:06 am »

Anyone who actually wants the Saints out of this town is deluded in my opinion. Equally, anyone who thinks they take away a significant amount of fans from the Cobblers is just as stupid, in my opinion. They play 15 home games a year, we play 24, we don't see an big increase in numbers when they arent playing. Plus the vast majority of our homes games are arranged not to clash with theirs and vice-versa. Now obviously, if they were to ceaste to exist completely, we may get a few more fans through the gate, but its not going to happen.

The Saints and The Cobblers together has the ability to really put pressure on the council, particualrly the Saints it must be said, as to lose the big matches would do more damage to the local economy then an marginally out of the town centre ASDA/Garden Centre. When Munster played the Saints last season, the hotels were booked out all weekend, not to mention the bars being full all weekend.

We are one of very few towns/cities in the country than can boast a first-class cricket team, a premiership rugby team and a professional football team. This whole town has the potential to be based around Sport, and Sport can certainly bring a lot to the local economy, so why on earth the council would do all it can to prevent this is beyond me and all cobblers/saints fans I know.
Report Spam   Logged

GTA Champion - Season 09/10
Semilong Old Boy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 19:27:30 pm »

If they move out we can move into their ground would be ok for us, plenty of potential for us... Grin 
Report Spam   Logged
abington_cobbler

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 16:14:14 pm »

I didn't think it would be long until DC got involved, its time that NBC realised that there is life outside of town centre!

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/politics/northampton_town_chairman_backs_northampton_saints_fight_with_borough_council_over_redevelopment_1_1145636
Report Spam   Logged
DustCobb

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 16:16:59 pm »

Same old s*** though isn't it....councillors in power say 'town centre first' councillors that want to be in power say 'we support both sports teams and they should be allowed to expand'

Report Spam   Logged
wazzacobbler

Warrington Cobblers Supporters

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 17:55:09 pm »

It doesnt change does it?! Its so frustrating.

The council are telling Saints, as they did us, to submit a planning application. These cost thousands of pounds according to DC to submit. As the council have always said, they dont reject the idea of expansion, they just reject the way the club(s) want to fund it.
Report Spam   Logged

Host and Producer of the It's All Cobblers To Me podcast
@CobblersToMe @charlescommins
wrigleys

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 12:01:00 pm »

Its terrible that this issue has developed. Even if you don't like rugby or whatever this just smacks of Northampton being a second or third rate town that can't deal with big attended events. Awful
Report Spam   Logged

Intravenous real ale at Sixfields. Make it happen
abington_cobbler

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 08:58:18 am »

I suspect the real force behind NBC's 'out of town' policy is Legal and General as yet again they have stuck their nose in and have made it clear yet again that they are against out of town retail devlopment......

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/politics/grosvenor_centre_owners_warn_council_over_the_dangers_of_out_of_town_development_1_1155992
Report Spam   Logged
saturday banana

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 12:09:23 pm »

New name, Saints MK or MK Saints?  Tongue

Didn't they have a few hits a few years back? Girl band as I recall.... Grin
Report Spam   Logged
saturday banana

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 12:17:22 pm »

Let's just keep the following quote on ice until the Conservatives get into power ...

Leader of the opposition, Councillor David Palethorpe (Con, Billing) said: “The Liberal Democrats seem to think the town’s economy ends at Abington Street.

“Our position on this has always been clear, the Conservatives would scrap the ‘town centre first’ policy.

“We fully support the expansion and prosperity of Northampton’s sporting clubs, and we do not object to out-of-town retail development.”

If they get in....this will read....

]Leader of the opposition, Councillor David Palethorpe (Con, Billing) said: “The  town’s economy ends at Abington Street.

“Our position on this has always been clear."

“We fully support the expansion and prosperity of Northampton’s sporting clubs, but we object to out-of-town retail development"....

You just know it's true....
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 20:59:52 pm »

I just wish we had a stong enough council who had the bottle to stand up to L&G and say "if you don't want out of town development then you start bulting by June 1st 2011 otherwise there'll be building at Sixfields. Your call". Least that way something will be done, either for the good of the town or the good of the sports teams. It has to be better than just nothing happening
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Exe

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 22:33:04 pm »

The Saints want to allow a supermarket to be built on their land, that isn't a danger to the town centre as anybody doing a supermarket shop won't be going to the town centre at the moment and any new arrivals to the town won't do so in the future. Weekly food shopping simply isn't done in town centres anymore by at least 90% of the population. The town centre is going downhill fast even with the absurd protectionism that the Lib Dems are practising, a bit of healthy competition may just be what's needed to improve everybody's lot.

Finally I'd like to voice my agreement with the views expressed by St Eds and Pine Woody, anybody that wants the Saints out of the town is either delusional or overcome by petty jealousy. No doubt Gonzales is the sort of Cobbler who thinks that Saints fans all drive Chelsea tractors and end every sentence with "yah".
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: