The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 08:31:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Michael hoganson

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael hoganson  (Read 10264 times)
TheEdgeyMole

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2012, 21:12:39 pm »

Hoganson says on Twitter he isn't playing tomorrow night.
Report Spam   Logged
betamax toploader

THAT MONEY WAS THERE FOR OUR CLUB

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2012, 22:12:04 pm »

If thats the case, and he manages to pis5 off Mr Clough as well as Mr Boothroyd, then he really is going out on a limb. He could well end up with nothing.
Report Spam   Logged

To baldly go where no Betamax has gone before...
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2012, 06:16:55 am »

Have we sorted out the problem with the defence getting done by the long ball by playing too higher line and then not being quick enough to recover??

dont expect the bookies to take any bets on it...................
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2012, 10:02:03 am »

It is hard to deliver pin point balls OTT if you have the opposition in your face.

i agree with your sentiment - but as we have seen it doesnt have to be pin point when you have 2 flat footed centre halves who are sluggish at best................as shown at corby, and briefly at cogenhoe.

Report Spam   Logged
sxcobbler

Proudtobe.

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2012, 10:31:13 am »

Have we sorted out the problem with the defence getting done by the long ball by playing too higher line and then not being quick enough to recover??
Just so I have some idea what I'm missing/what to expect next season.

Having seen 2 pre season games so far this season ........this is clearly an even bigger problem now, especially with Charles at centre back ( OMG).... together with any flick on past the pair of 'em.

Sort it Aidy or we are in trouble.
Report Spam   Logged

Let's show some Ambition !
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2012, 11:21:52 am »

Cheers for the update cobblersforever.
You are so right.
Can I ask your opinion on hoganson if you've seen him play??
Would you have thought a one year deal was right??
Just so I have some idea what I'm missing/what to expect next season.
Cheers.

Good Morning Shoey,

I have not seen Hoganson play though I note that others have a high regard though I also note that he only played against opposition that should be well below our level. The good thing is that he does not play in an area where I now regard us as weak. Somehow both AB and Hoganson (and his agent) misjudged the situation - why on earth was he on trial with us if a side 50 places above us was interested (especially if the interest is based on performances against mediocre opposition). AB probably believed he was worth a punt on a modest 1 year contract. He may well think he is not worth more in which case he has done the right thing.

We were caught out by swift counter-attacks on saturday carried out by higher quality players than we will meet this season. Both Charles and Langmead look fit and committed but still relatively slow on the turn. This will be a problem (as others above have intimated).

As a minimum we need a quality Centre Half and Higgs (or someone of equal stature) in goal.

I believe we will be very good going forward. Some very good signings in the summer. Widdowson and Hackett were excellent on saturday.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2012, 11:31:25 am »

Thanks for that cobblersforever.
Report Spam   Logged
County Cobbler

« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2012, 11:43:15 am »

Whilst everybody is allowed an opinion, my concern is that some contributors believe they are stating 100% facts and AB should act on these so called facts.
Stick to your amateur opinions.

My opinion is we require a keeper like Weale or Duke for 3 months and a mobile centre half (from Sheff. Utd?).
Good luck AB!
Report Spam   Logged
MK_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2012, 11:53:26 am »

Having seen 2 pre season games so far this season ........this is clearly an even bigger problem now, especially with Charles at centre back ( OMG).... together with any flick on past the pair of 'em.

Sort it Aidy or we are in trouble.

Is Langmead any better than Charles? Its looking like we are going into the season with our 3 weakest links at CB and GK. Not ideal...
Report Spam   Logged
TownOwl

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2012, 12:20:13 pm »

I would say Langmead and Charles are at about as good (bad?) as each other.

Having seen Hoganson play, I was pretty disappointed with his defensive arrtibutes, but he caused the opposition huge problems as a left winger. He wouldn't get in at LB ahead of Widdowson any time soon. Reasonably quick and a half decent cross. From a positioning point of view, ADB was often shouting him into a more forward starting position, as his tendancy was to cover the left back (which isn't necessarily such a bad thing).
In my opinion, a useful impact sub with the potential to improve over the season.
Report Spam   Logged

Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2012, 12:30:29 pm »

I get the feeling from reading this thread, that we already have in our midst a number of supporters who have a more extensive and rounded knowledge of the game than Boothroyd. Some of you might find this slightly disconcerting. Personally, I get a cosy warm feeling, knowing that over the coming months we can rely on these football geniuses to enlighten us at every given juncture. What re-assures me even more, is that these experts impart their knowledge free of charge, when it's obvious that football clubs all over the land would pay good money for their pearls of wisdom.

I don't think anyone is claiming to 'have a more extensive and rounded knowledge of the game than Boothroyd'. I doubt anyone would even claim to have a greater knowledge of the ins and outs of football management than the Gary 'tragic' Johnson.

However, as I have argued ad nauseum on here, we have every right to look at Boothroyd's decision making in a constructively critical fashion. Last summer people in the 'let's leave it to the manager' club were attacking anyone with the temerity to question Johnson's decision to spunk thousands on midfielders and strikers whilst assembling a bargain bucket defence with barely 100 league appearances between them. We all know how that turned out.

We are much stronger this summer, and the areas of weakness are much less severe. However, it's been obvious for a while that we still need a centre back with pace/leadership qualities and a dependendable goalkeeper. AB is clearly aware of this, but what concerns me, and others, is the need to act quickly so that the new signings have a chance to bed in.

Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2012, 12:40:38 pm »

I think that sums it up in a nutshell bungle.
Report Spam   Logged
bangham69

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 4
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2012, 12:46:27 pm »

Spot on bungle.
Report Spam   Logged
sussexcobbler

View Profile
Apple User
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2012, 14:38:29 pm »

Guys,

we all need to relax a little bit.  AB will know that the CB/GK positions are our weakness, but rather than panic he is biding his time to bring in the "right" players rather than ones who are only slightly better than we already have.  There are a shed load of decent young centre backs that can be brought in at a moments notice on loan, but this can't happen until nearer the season as their clubs will want them to do preseason at their club.  As AB proved last season, bringing in decent keepers is also fairly easy.  If I was a gambling man I would be putting my money on 1 GK and 1 CB coming in on loan, and the longer the Carlisle saga drags on, the more likely he will come in as well.

None of us know what is going on inside the club (those days stopped ages ago) so lets let the manager manage the situation, and lets sits back and get ready to enjoy the league 2 ride.  Who cares how we get on in preseason anyway??!!!  As long as we have a strong 15 or 16 players in place as the season starts who are fit and ready, none of this matters.

UTCFTP
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2012, 14:41:26 pm »

I think squeezing play and closing the opposition down is pretty standard knowledge. I would be more shocked if so called football supporters were not aware of this.

someone had better mention to Chelsea that they got it wrong then, despite winning the champions league sitting off teams and letting them play on the edge of their 18 yard box.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2012, 15:23:27 pm »

you're probably right, although i dont think they were too worried about it when they were lifting the trophy..................
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2012, 18:02:53 pm »

Actually on topic, Hogansons not travelled with Derby, though he remains a 'person of interest'. Out of respect for Aidy perhaps? (Or maybe he's trialing somewhere else)
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2012, 18:12:25 pm »

Until a ball is kicked in anger not one of you has a clue what's going to happen. Any attempt to preach caution or suggest that Boothroyd needs a heads up makes you look like a fool.

I like Boothroyd. He's proved an astute tactician, an excellent man manager and a shrewd and articulate media operator. He's done an extremely impressive job so far and he has my 100% support. However, along with all managers, he is not infallible. He has made mistakes in the past and he will make more mistakes this season.

As a fan you have a choice:

1. sit back and trust unconditionally that the right decisions are being made or
2. look at key decisions in a constructively critical manner and engage in a wider debate amongst the fanbase and the media about the direction the club is going in.

I'll ask you again TFAMH, were you happy about the squad this time last summer? Was it not obvious before 'a ball was kicked in anger' that there were serious deficiencies in the defence - deficiencies which would later almost cost us our place in the league? Did you really 'not have a clue' that things were going to go tits up? Those were questions which needed to be raised. In fact the media should have been a lot more assertive about posing them to manager from day one.

The issues this season are far less serious, and Boothroyd is doing a far, far better job than Johnson. But there are questions which need to be answered; and the people asking them are people who care deeply about our chances this season.

Report Spam   Logged
betamax toploader

THAT MONEY WAS THERE FOR OUR CLUB

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2012, 19:04:46 pm »

I like Boothroyd. He's proved an astute tactician, an excellent man manager and a shrewd and articulate media operator. He's done an extremely impressive job so far and he has my 100% support. However, along with all managers, he is not infallible. He has made mistakes in the past and he will make more mistakes this season.

As a fan you have a choice:

1. sit back and trust unconditionally that the right decisions are being made or
2. look at key decisions in a constructively critical manner and engage in a wider debate amongst the fanbase and the media about the direction the club is going in.

I'll ask you again TFAMH, were you happy about the squad this time last summer? Was it not obvious before 'a ball was kicked in anger' that there were serious deficiencies in the defence - deficiencies which would later almost cost us our place in the league? Did you really 'not have a clue' that things were going to go **** up? Those were questions which needed to be raised. In fact the media should have been a lot more assertive about posing them to manager from day one.

The issues this season are far less serious, and Boothroyd is doing a far, far better job than Johnson. But there are questions which need to be answered; and the people asking them are people who care deeply about our chances this season.

Excellent post.
Report Spam   Logged

To baldly go where no Betamax has gone before...
DL2

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2012, 21:28:31 pm »

The Open Forum on 9th August will give anyone the opportunity to ask Aidy directly about any outstanding concerns or doubts they may have at the end of pre-season
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: