The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 02:39:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

H'angus JPT

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: H'angus JPT  (Read 3406 times)
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2010, 21:17:04 pm »

Me

Would you have kept faith with Guinan though?

Gonzales - I would have stuck with Beckwith and Holt (kept the partnership going) and played Harris up top. Realistically, and because of Purcell's injury...its the only decent option we have going forward in the short term. At least as I see things.
Report Spam   Logged
Exe

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2010, 21:22:18 pm »

The signs from Saturday and again tonight are very worrying indeed, I know it's early days but right now nobody can say that we're too good to go down and unless Samo can find a way to get goals out of this side we're going to be looking at the wrong end of the table this season.
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2010, 21:33:21 pm »

Weren't we all saying that before Christmas last year as well though? Just need a run and we'll be up there again, just like last time.

And if it doesn't ever come, well, at least we'll be able to play Darlington, Grismby, Wrexham, York and Luton again.
Report Spam   Logged
MK_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2010, 21:36:10 pm »

Weren't we all saying that before Christmas last year as well though? Just need a run and we'll be up there again, just like last time.

And if it doesn't ever come, well, at least we'll be able to play Darlington, Grismby, Wrexham, York and Luton again.

What are the chances of going on one of those runs again?  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
Tyler

Back when we were good...

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2010, 21:49:45 pm »

Is it worth me going to Aldershot?
Report Spam   Logged
dazza

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2010, 21:50:32 pm »

Is it worth me going to Aldershot?

Yes.
Report Spam   Logged
Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2010, 21:55:07 pm »

It really wasn't very good.

BUT, if we're taking the positives from the game, all the hardcore got a nice letter from the Chairman and 2 complimentary Players Lounge Passes to a match of our choice between now and the end of the year.  Not Liverpool tickets, but a nice gesture.  I might even get around to going to a match at Sixfields to redeem it, but I think I'll wait until we've worked out how to score before I commit myself.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
Gonzales

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2010, 22:03:57 pm »

Would you have kept faith with Guinan though?

Gonzales - I would have stuck with Beckwith and Holt (kept the partnership going) and played Harris up top. Realistically, and because of Purcell's injury...its the only decent option we have going forward in the short term. At least as I see things.

It was my understanding that Beckwith picked up a knock in training and I don't see the point in risking more first team players in this competition than we have to.
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2010, 22:07:07 pm »

It was my understanding that Beckwith picked up a knock in training and I don't see the point in risking more first team players in this competition than we have to.

If he has and after a 4-0 tonking at those giants of lower league football, Hartlepool, then he'll have to bring someone in on loan.  Perhaps he can even request it as an emergency?  I don't really give a s*** about the JPT, but Sammo and Crosby really have their work cut out especially with a very tough September fiture list on paper.
Report Spam   Logged
Gonzales

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2010, 22:10:42 pm »

If he has and after a 4-0 tonking at those giants of lower league football, Hartlepool, then he'll have to bring someone in on loan.  Perhaps he can even request it as an emergency?  I don't really give a sh*t about the JPT, but Sammo and Crosby really have their work cut out especially with a very tough September fiture list on paper.

It certainly feels like an emergency!
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2010, 22:30:51 pm »

Good god...talk about overreactions.

We played 120+ mins in the Carling Cup at Reading last Tuesday, then had the euphoria of drawing Liverpool and on Saturday we looked physically and emotionally drained. Due to stupid JPT rules about having to select 6 players who featured last Saturday and a ludicrous draw, instead of getting the midweek rest they were desperate for, the players have been carted all the way up to Hartlepool to play another 90 minutes on a cold Tuesday night. They held out for a while but I think we all knew there was a possibility they would collapse dramatically after conceding and that's exactly what they did.

After Aldershot on Saturday they've got a week until the next game and I think they really need that. You can't make too many judgements based on tonight's game because these are exceptional circumstances. When the side is refreshed and up for it we're capable of putting in good performances and most of the season they will be, hopefully.

Playoffs, possibly not, but we'll finish respectably again like last season and although I wasn't around back then so couldn't really comment, my dad reckons we're in a similar position to the one we were in in 1985/86- we've got a good squad of young players and are capable of occasional flashes of brilliance and very good performances but probably won't do it consistantly. However, we're visibly just a couple of key additions and 12 months' worth of match experience away from having something very special. There's a good chance we'll finish just inside the top half this year and go up automatically next time, like 85/86 and 86/87.

With a talented but inexperienced young side like our current one, continuity and patience is the key.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 22:34:21 pm by NTFC Nut » Report Spam   Logged

MK_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2010, 22:34:17 pm »

Good god...talk about overreactions.

We played 120+ mins in the Carling Cup at Reading last Tuesday, then had the euphoria of drawing Liverpool and on Saturday we looked physically and emotionally drained. Due to stupid JPT rules about having to select 6 players who featured last Saturday and a ludicrous draw, instead of getting the midweek rest they were desperate for, the players have been carted all the way up to Hartlepool to play another 90 minutes on a cold Tuesday night. They held out for a while but I think we all knew there was a possibility they would collapse dramatically after conceding and that's exactly what they did.

After Aldershot on Saturday they've got a week until the next game and I think they really need that. You can't make too many judgements based on tonight's game because these are exceptional circumstances. When the side is refreshed and up for it we're capable of putting in good performances and most of the season they will be, hopefully.

Playoffs, possibly not, but we'll finish respectably again like last season and although I wasn't around back then so couldn't really comment, my dad reckons we're in a similar position to the one we were in in 1985/86- we've got a good squad of young players and are capable of occasional flashes of brilliance and very good performances but probably won't do it consistantly. However, we're visibly just a couple of key additions and 12 months' worth of match experience away from having something very special. There's a good chance we'll finish just inside the top half this year and go up automatically next time. With a young side like this one, continuity and patience is the key.

I know its too early to ask this question but..... does anyone know the players currently contracted for next season aswell?
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2010, 22:44:26 pm »

I know its too early to ask this question but..... does anyone know the players currently contracted for next season aswell?

I'm not sure about all the players, but the likes of Guinan and Hinton are out of contract next summer and will doubtlessly be moved on, which will pave way for some new players- the two mentioned were signed on League One wages so will free up a significant chunk of the budget.  Hopefully we can keep the majority of the side together in the summer though, because as I said we're only a couple of players off having something special- in my opinion those players are a centre-back and a centre-forward.

Sammo has gone back to the drawing board and has rebuilt the squad with the emphasis on youth- the potential is there for them to be very good but they're inexperienced and naive and as supporters we need to get behind them and be patient with them, rather than jumping on their backs after a couple of poor results. Sammo, much like the players, is inexperienced so also needs to be given time to get things right.
Report Spam   Logged

Insider

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2010, 22:56:13 pm »

my dad reckons we're in a similar position to the one we were in in 1985/86- we've got a good squad of young players and are capable of occasional flashes of brilliance and very good performances but probably won't do it consistantly.

That's terrible, him having Alzheimers at such a young age!  In the 5th game of that season we thrashed Preston 6-0, with Richard Hill scoring a hat trick.  the sooner you get you Dad back down the doctor's, the better young man.  Morley and Benji got the others.  I rest my case.  We'd already beaten Posh in the Milk Cup, we'd won three of the first five, and really blew promotion only in April when we picked up just one point in five games.   
Report Spam   Logged
MK_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2010, 22:57:19 pm »

I know the likes of Thorntons contract is up in the summer, but not too sure on the others?

Why we only offered Thornton a one year contract I dont know!...
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2010, 23:01:33 pm »

That's terrible, him having Alzheimers at such a young age!  In the 5th game of that season we thrashed Preston 6-0, with Richard Hill scoring a hat trick.  the sooner you get you Dad back down the doctor's, the better young man.  Morley and Benji got the others.  I rest my case.  We'd already beaten Posh in the Milk Cup, we'd won three of the first five, and really blew promotion only in April when we picked up just one point in five games.  

So we got all those impressive results but still finished 8th or 9th. Inconsistency. Point proven. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Insider

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2010, 23:15:55 pm »

So we got all those impressive results but still finished 8th or 9th. Inconsistency. Point proven. Wink

You certainly continue to live up to your name, Nut.  You miss the point entirely.  We had proven strikers in Morley and Benji, the best gaolscoring midfielder I've ever seen at this club, who but for injury may well have gone on to play for England, in Richard Hill, Gleasure as solid a goalkeeper as you could wish for and who played all but the last two games (none of these loanee chopping and changing), and in defence Graham "Psycho" Reed, who would have had Holt s***ting his pants.  We had an extremely small squad, smaller than and now, and a few injuries in the run in probably cost us, and in those days you could only name one sub and if i recall correclty only 1 or 2 loans a season.  We were there or thereabouts all the way up to the beginning of March when Brian Mundee got injured.  You are talking out of your arse.   

Oh, and the supporters raised the £11,000 to buy Warren Donald part way through the season.  And we scored 13 goals in our first five league games, 51 before Christmas.  This current team won't score 51 all season.
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2010, 23:21:48 pm »

Well, whatever. Not gonna get into a debate about football in the 80s as I was born in 1993. Grin The point is this team can only get better with experience and whilst the team you mention were one or two additions and a bit of experience off storming to the title, this current squad is one or two additions and a bit of experience off putting up a serious promotion challenge. They're a decent squad of young players and as with all teams fitting that description, they need to be given time, patience and support and they will only get better. Most crucially, they need to be kept together, so no selling Jacobs to Plymouth for £50k in January or something please, Mr Cardoza. Wink
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 23:24:35 pm by NTFC Nut » Report Spam   Logged

DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2010, 06:42:27 am »

Your last sentence in your last post is the problem I think we are facing Nut...

IF we were to keep the best 13/14 of the current squad together and add a couple of players to it...I too think we will be more than fine. I agree with the bulk of what you are saying actually, and whilst I can also relate to Insiders feelings on the subject...I agree with him that we will not storm the league with the current set of players (86 was something very special) I do think a promotion challenge is doable.

HOWEVER, if Jacobs and Thornton - even Wedderburn - all have good seasons - they will be off. Simples. We are a production line these days and whilst we always have been, in the mid 80's we didn't stop the machine as soon as it got going. They did all eventually leave, but only after a trophy had been won. In some style.

Back in those days I remember us turning down 175k for Gleasure from Charlton. We also turned down numerous offers for other players. If 175k was offered for our entire squad they would be on the bus within an hour! And they all got good moves, now we s*** ourselves when Leyton Orient are after our top striker (or Gillingham) !  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
cobblersareus

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2010, 06:53:10 am »

A comment from BBC Radio Lincolnshire, reporting from Rotherham v Lincoln last night ' The next best thing to getting  to the final of the Johnstones paint trophy, is getting knocked out in the first round'. Yes they had full commentary.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: