The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 12:28:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

10 games down..

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 games down..  (Read 6346 times)
TbananaG

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2012, 12:48:34 pm »

Quote from: cobblergaz59 link=topic=6111.msg126338#msg126338 date=
 I guess that separates the doom and gloom merchants from the optimists. Grin

[/quote

I don't think you have to be either one or the other: I think you can be both very supportive of Aidy and worried by the way things are going. I'm sure he shares some of our concerns about the squad, so I don't think it makes us disloyal supporters to express those concerns. For example, Aidy will know that he has two centre backs in Artell and Langmead who share many of the same strengths (strong, committed, brave, goal threat from set pieces...) and weaknesses (slow off the mark, slow to turn, not the greatest positional awareness) but a summer spent largely waiting for Carlisle to make his mind up won't have helped on this front.

Saturday was really grim and it's much harder to be optimistic if you witnessed it than if you didn't I guess. But you have to try to stay objective: the injuries made it hard enough, but it's almost impossible to win a football match with only ten players for more than an hour.

So, it's not as simple as being optimistic and saying everything's going to be OK, but I think you can be pretty worried after Saturday's display but still think Aidy is the best man for the job of sorting things out and taking us forward.
Report Spam   Logged
jimmysaville

hows about that then.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2012, 12:49:04 pm »

The Cobblers will finish mid table. I will not be worried like i was last February (when we were bottom) and i expect, it will take this season to get ride of a few players and get things set up for next season. If ADB doesn't produce next season then he has failed in my eyes.
Report Spam   Logged

now then, now then, now then.
Whitedogdo

« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2012, 13:29:27 pm »

My first visit in a while but it just the same old sh*t on here. Some attention seeking t**t jumping up and down pleading to be noticed (probably because his parents never told him they loved him). Shoey still driving his deluded one man agenda to convince Big Dave to start ploughing millions of unrecoverable pounds into the club. The unsilent majority crying their eyes out because we're not top of the league but (perceived) lesser clubs have done alright, not only this week but in previous whole seasons too. Pathetic. Meanwhile a few more reasoned and sensible posters spend too much of their time trying too hard to appease/ correct/ educate/ reason with these morons/ spoilt children/ f*ckwits/ bed wetters.

I'll join this charity effort with a quick summary.

We're in mid table. We've looked pretty competitive in this division for the most part BUT we're carrying a small squad to enable us to sign quality players for this level(Just like you all said we should have done last season). For this reason our first XI is strong but if we get injuries, particularly two in the same position (which we now have for 2 positions) then we will struggle to cover this. Losing Gutts for three months is an absolute hammer blow to the plan.

On the bright side, if we get a run without too many knocks, give the team a bit longer to gel and maybe even pick up one or two in January we may well end having a tilt at the play offs.

That is all.

I like how you ended it fella, but you failed to start with a "d'ya hear there".
Poop Poop.... starboard 15, half ahead port...
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2012, 17:03:22 pm »

The Cobblers will finish mid table. I will not be worried like i was last February (when we were bottom) and i expect, it will take this season to get ride of a few players and get things set up for next season. If ADB doesn't produce next season then he has failed in my eyes.

How's hell treating you, Jimmy? Tongue Grin
Report Spam   Logged

jimmysaville

hows about that then.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2012, 18:51:41 pm »

How's hell treating you, Jimmy? Tongue Grin

Not to bad. Better than being alive right now.  Evil
Report Spam   Logged

now then, now then, now then.
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2012, 19:20:05 pm »

If you are trying to imitate or use his alias, learn to spell his name better!  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
derbycobbler

View Profile
Combination Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2012, 20:38:34 pm »

I'm concerned injury's suspensions, bad luck and results are going a bit like last season and AB must now act to get us off this slippery slop. 

At least AB has not hid in the Sixfields Dugout which is one thing I will always remember GJ for last season.
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler150

« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2012, 21:08:28 pm »

Think we ve been unlucky ...but we need to stop the rot
Report Spam   Logged
SteveRiches

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2012, 10:01:57 am »

The squad as it was without injuries seemed to me to be just good enough to hold a mid-table place, BUT with the savage effects of all these injuries and probably no extra money to plug the gaps, we really could end up grubbing around in the bottom five. The next 3 months are crucial, we have to forget any lofty ambitions and just scratch for points. It will not be attractive football. Maybe an unlikely cup run will suddenly give us an unexpected financial boost (dream on, Steve!).

Oh how I yearn for a season of decent football and some excitement at the top end of the table, I'm now having to tell my two boys that it'll probably be them and not me who sees it!
Report Spam   Logged
guest168

« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2012, 12:29:22 pm »

Why do many of you think that we will certainly finish mid-table this and play-offs next?   Why will we progress?

I can understand Prem teams like Everton building year on year but not Div 2.

How many of our current players and playing staff were here last season under GJ or even Sammo?  How many of our current players will be here next season?

Very few is the answer, so how does mean that we are building a team to progress?  Is Artell affected by out 7-2 loss last season ?? NO cos he was not here

Our attendances put us 10th in the league, our running costs (by way of stadium) put us about 5th.

WHY SHOULD WE SETTLE FOR MID-TABLE?    That's the problem for me, too many people happy to settle for crap.

IT IS TIME TO MAKE A STAND, tell DC we DEMAND better. That we want, what he wants, PROMOTION. That we want a better matchday experience. That £3 for a sausage roll is unacceptable

WE NEED TO GET THE FEEL GOOD FACTOR BACK, without it we will not get promoted, I can (almost) guarantee.

Who wants to help me make a difference?? (serious request for help and ideas)

Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2012, 12:29:44 pm »

SHOCK!
Two consecutive senseable postings on Hotelenders forum!
Totally agree with comments.
In DC and AB we trust.

I agree, The return of common sense to the forum, I doubt it but we can dream!
Report Spam   Logged
MK_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2012, 12:45:22 pm »

Why do many of you think that we will certainly finish mid-table this and play-offs next?   Why will we progress?

How many of our current players and playing staff were here last season under GJ or even Sammo?  How many of our current players will be here next season?

Very few is the answer, so how does mean that we are building a
 team to progress?  Is Artell affected by out 7-2 loss last season ?? NO cos he was not here

Our attendances put us 10th in the league, our running costs (by way of stadium) put us about 5th.

WHY SHOULD WE SETTLE FOR MID-TABLE?    That's the problem for me, too many people happy to settle for crap.

IT IS TIME TO MAKE A STAND, tell DC we DEMAND better. That we want, what he wants, PROMOTION. That we want a better matchday experience. That £3 for a sausage roll is unacceptable

WE NEED TO GET THE FEEL GOOD FACTOR BACK, without it we will not get promoted, I can (almost) guarantee.

+1
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2012, 13:05:46 pm »

+1

approval from MK is the kiss of death! You should get real, we dont have the resources to build a title challenging team or satisfy your ego. The likes of Bowen,Ian A & Calderwood took at least of couple of years to establish an effective side's. Seems to me that AB is preceeding along those lines. The FGF may come with better support and encouragement from us Fans. At the moment we appear to have too many moaners; both on here and at Sixfields. The support at Burton was positive and I heard very few moans at BR which is saying something.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
North_East_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2012, 13:17:00 pm »

Very few is the answer, so how does mean that we are building a team to progress?  Is Artell affected by out 7-2 loss last season ?? NO cos he was not here

Back in January 1995, Ian Atkins took over a club that was in 20th (out of 22 that season). What did he do? He brought in a nucleus of players down the spine of the team to "build" around. That nucleus stayed with us for a very long time, and provided us with the most stable team that we've had in recent years. That group of players, plus some additions year on year, kept us in the division in that first season (finishing 17th), went on to finish 11th (I make that mid-table) the following year, and then the year after that we finished 4th and were promoted at Wembley.

So, why should we settle for mid-table this season? Because that would, sadly, be an improvement for us. I'm a firm believer that you should always aim to improve year on year. You can't do that (long term) by throwing money at it (a la R&DFC et al). So leave DC and AB to get on with their plan, support them in any way you can, and lets try to keep positive.

The only way the feel-good-factor will return is by us pushing up the league. The only way that will happen is by giving the management and playing staff our support, 100%. Not moaning and complaining that this work in progress (which is what it is) is not happening at a speed that we all want it too. Everyone wants success asap, but sometimes things take time to do right.
Report Spam   Logged

5th place in the 2014 AND 2015 Grand National Sweepstake competitions. . . . .
guest168

« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2012, 13:29:11 pm »

Everbrite, I was talking more about off the field rather than on it.

Don't think it is my ego but if we don't make some changes or at least try, we will NOT achieve anything.

No we don't have the resources but neither do many of our opposition, are we actually making the best use of our resources, I believe NOT. Actually the Burton game is a great example of what I am talking about.

Their matchday experience was excellent, I know the stadium is newer but everywhere was very clean and tidy, good signage, few stewards trying to spoil things, good food at a fair price (Heinz and HP sauce), and an internal bar. Compare that experience to Sixfields (and for away fans).  Our potential and reason for TRYING to do better is in the support, they were 1-0 up, should have been 3-0 playing good football, they were in the top 6 and from their fans .... nothing. Again compare that to our 650 supporters on the day and what sixfields would have been like if we were in the top 6.

I want to make our matchday experience better, which will hopefully bring in more customers, which will improve the atmosphere, which might help and give the players / management a reason to do better.

I think the fans have been more upbeat recently but the more attendance v Gillingham is a warning that we must do more.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2012, 13:30:14 pm »

Back in January 1995, Ian Atkins took over a club that was in 20th (out of 22 that season).

This post should give the likes of MK and others to ponder on.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2012, 13:30:48 pm »

Calderwood took at least of couple of years to establish an effective side's. Seems to me

didnt really take him that long i dont think, play-offs twice and then promotion.

Report Spam   Logged
North_East_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2012, 13:50:07 pm »

I want to make our matchday experience better, which will hopefully bring in more customers, which will improve the atmosphere, which might help and give the players / management a reason to do better.

We've been talking about this for years, nothing will change on that front. We've always said that matchday tickets and food is overpriced, the tannoy system and announcer are rubbish, radio cobblers is a joke etc etc, but what can WE, as fans, do about that?

If it was me running the club (unfortunately I don't have the cashflow at the moment. . ) I'd want as many bums on seats as I could get. I'd lower the ticket price slightly (hell, make it one of those "Pay what you think it's worth" events for one game only), get some half decent half time event going (maybe a different ex-player each week to pull the 50-50 tickets out would be a start), get rid of radio cobblers completely and employ someone who knows what songs to play at a football match. Maybe show some great Cobblers moments from the past on the TV's in the concourse to remind us of what used to be.

During the match, why not have someone (or a group) from the Club (a stooge, if you will) starting some chants which will hopefully get a few more joining in?

Then after the game, have a voucher on the back of the ticket for a quid or 2 off a forthcoming fixture / free parking voucher etc to try to entice the discerning punter to depart with his hard earned again in a few days time?

But, when all is said and done, the ideas that people come up with will get shouted down by the moaners who, I think, actually enjoy going to Sixfields for a good old end of the week whinge.
Report Spam   Logged

North_East_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2012, 13:51:44 pm »

didnt really take him that long i dont think, play-offs twice and then promotion.

Playoffs twice? Consecutively? What a s*** side we had back then, there was no progression shown there at all in those 2 seasons. . . .  Undecided  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

guest168

« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2012, 14:07:54 pm »

Hi N.E cobbler, I do agree or I would if it was the case that the team was building for the future.

I know that it is very difficult but would a club like ours be better by trying to build and improve year on year?

To do that you have to give players longer contracts (which works in the Prem) and you have to have a manager who is willing to work with and develop the squad that he has.
Even Aidy has dismissed players he can't work with or says not good enough, some who now play in a higher division!

Believe me I do support DC & AB, or rather I support the club, which means I support them.

Not really sure that we have a plan at the moment, other than to survive and wait for the development.

I really think this club and town has the potential to be a great club but we have to start somewhere, somehow, sometime. Sitting back and going through the motions will NOT make it happen.

As DC knows, I am not asking him to spend, spend, spend, I am asking that we improve what we can, how we can, when we can. I just don't believe that things will improve by doing nothing. There needs to be a change in attitude for us to progress.

This is something I am determined to try and do. Here are two examples

1. Are our stewards a positive to the club and the majority of the fans?

2. Is our food a positive to the club and the majority of fans?

If not, why not and what can we do about?

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: