The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 19:53:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Barnet (a)...and Edgar Davids!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barnet (a)...and Edgar Davids!  (Read 14556 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #180 on: October 19, 2012, 23:43:30 pm »

Brilliant  Grin

We had our own very fat mess on the pitch too Shocked . I am beginning to think that Shoemaker may have a point on young loanees - as those tonight were pretty dismal. The point has been made that we sell but nether replace adequately hence the overall piss poor form. Tonight we had good support and to play like that really stank - the chants of "what a load of rubbish" were deserved.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #181 on: October 19, 2012, 23:55:51 pm »

We have a whole host of loans because we have 7 or 8 first team players out injured.

People need to take a chill pill a bit here. We have unprecedented injuries. The loans are plugging the gap and there really is no choice.

Aidy had a budget, his choice was (a) small squad of quality, plug the gaps with loans. Or (b) a big squad of mediocre (relative) players. Net result...same cost.

The gamble so far hasn't paid off, thats clear for all to see. But Im pretty sure that in the same circumstances most of us would have done the same thing? So really unless your are in 'The B camp' then try and deal with it!
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #182 on: October 20, 2012, 00:02:05 am »

Torn to shreds by a 39-year-old who hasn't played a game in 2 years. Can only think of one player who actually put in any effort or running (Wilson) and even he was ****e. The less said about tonight the better. Let's move swiftly on to Bradford on Tuesday.
Report Spam   Logged

SteveRiches

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #183 on: October 20, 2012, 03:16:25 am »

As I keep saying, we are wracked by injuries and what we have left is loanees whose real allegiance is elsewhere plus a dispirited residue which is very ordinary. Nicholls in goal is an exception & maybe Langmead.
As to going to Barnet, I've reached a stage in life when loyalty is tempered by reality: their ground is vile, their pricing policy for away fans is discriminatory, and running the gauntlet of the M1 and M25 on a Friday night is for either diehards or the mentally challenged. Well done those who got there but I've had my fill of it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 03:20:56 am by SteveRiches » Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #184 on: October 20, 2012, 03:52:50 am »

Jefferson Lake will look like a total unit after his Cobblers steamrolling Barnie article..
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
ajp

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 20, 2012, 06:59:14 am »

Yep that was the one that was probably pinned up in the Barnet dressing room before kick off!! As probably was Emyr Hews ridiculous statement at the end of last Saturdays match saying they're bottom etc etc we should beat them!!
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #186 on: October 20, 2012, 07:07:07 am »

We have a whole host of loans because we have 7 or 8 first team players out injured.

People need to take a chill pill a bit here. We have unprecedented injuries. The loans are plugging the gap and there really is no choice.

Aidy had a budget, his choice was (a) small squad of quality, plug the gaps with loans. Or (b) a big squad of mediocre (relative) players. Net result...same cost.

The **** so far hasn't paid off, thats clear for all to see. But Im pretty sure that in the same circumstances most of us would have done the same thing? So really unless your are in 'The B camp' then try and deal with it!

Well said. I also think it's time for a reality check. Most of us expected a mid table finish this year, even Boothroyd said it would be a season of consolidation. Then we had a good start, everyone got a bit carried away and over excited (myself included) and now we're settling to the level we kind of expected to be at. Next year, given the chance and with a full budget to play with I expect us to kick on but the truth is this year we'll have good games, we'll have bad games and we'll finish more or less where we are now. It's frustrating, but there's really no need to panic, we just aren't the finished article.

I'm not "accepting mediocrity" or "happy supporting a mid table side" to coin the two old chestnuts that usually get rolled out, I'm just realistic enough to recognise that things don't happen overnight and when they do they are seldom built to last. Give Boothroyd time and I still believe he'll build us something that will last.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Elad

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 20, 2012, 08:28:25 am »

Well, i'll vent my spleen and get it out of my system even though there arent enough words about how distressing last night was.

I think the thing that sticks out in my mind is seeing the 700+ away fans and knowing that the majority would have taken a half day off to witness the digusting performance. Thinking about those people on low incomes whose trip to Barnet was their only "entertainment" for the whole weekend is fcuking tragic.

I sit in disbelief at the difference in performance levels from the 3-0 victory over high flying Exeter to 4-0 thrashing by bottom club Barnet. I even cantwork out how the performance levels dipped from one half to the next (first half we edged, second we were comprehensively spanked).

Yes Davids was good but if you let any player of any level play they will take advantage. I would say that only the keeper and Langmead came out with any credit and thats pushing it. The rest frankly should hang their heads in shame. There was nothing that resembled anything like professional football and to think that these men train all week to serve up sh*t like that is galling beyond words.

There was barely a tackle, a forward run, a deliberate pass a shot or anything that resembled football in the entire second half. A half cut manager on the racecourse would have been going apoplectic let alone Boothroyd.

The players made a mockery of the club on a national scale, with the worlds media decending on Barnet to cover Edgar Davids, who despite pushing 40 applied himself with more conviction that our entire side and bench put together.

I was bitterly dissapointed with the likes of Ben Tozer, who despite being six foot plus is a total **** in the tackle and looks to be made of glass. Likewise Alex Nicholls who despite playing in a game where he should have been on the shoulders of a ropy defence was totally anonymous. One good chance he had to chase down a ball (1 on 1) saw him show no conviction in running and then pull out of the chance to tackle the keeper. Bayo, despite saying how much he loves the club showed zero movement and looked frankly to be an overweight mess. He put more effort into berating the officials and then hugging the Barnet players than he did in his play. Platt went trhough the motions but you can see better hold up play in the UCL.

No player deserved more than a 2 out of 10. If i was more cynical i would put forward a few conspiracy theories as to that "performance" but they would all be libellous. I blame the manager to a limited extent but the players should shoulder the blame for one of the worst showings of the cobblers ever. And we have endured some sh*t.

When they emerge on Tuesday I suggest fans don't boo the team, they should remain silent and let the player's conscience's (if they have any) tick over. They are embarrassments.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 08:31:44 am by Elad » Report Spam   Logged

If you are the big tree, we are the small axe. Ready to cut you down, to cut you down.
MK_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 20, 2012, 11:08:47 am »

I see Aidy is starting to favour the ‘injury’ excuse after stating a couple of weeks he would not do so. Time to wise up I’m afraid, we were always going to experience injuries  so  there’s only one man to blame when it comes down to our paper thin over budget side.  It still baffles me how we our over budget with what looks like a VERY poor lightweight squad.

This season is a write off; we will continue to float around just below mid table. No relegation worries and no promotion hopes. Any point in turning up? Probably not, Save your money folks.
Report Spam   Logged
betamax toploader

THAT MONEY WAS THERE FOR OUR CLUB

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 20, 2012, 11:19:56 am »

No relegation worries and no promotion hopes.
If that was offered at the start of the season, most people would have taken it. Especially after what happened in the last couple of years.
Report Spam   Logged

To baldly go where no Betamax has gone before...
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #190 on: October 20, 2012, 11:19:57 am »

you bore me
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #191 on: October 20, 2012, 11:38:10 am »

The point I am making is being missed by many.
Last year the chairman said in an interview that lessons would be learned as regards the reliance on untried loans.
He also said this in a face to face meeting with myself.
perhaps he said this after discussions with the then manager and now there is a new manager he has decided to let them manage how they see fit, you tiresome individual
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
did.cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 20, 2012, 11:38:48 am »

I think AB has started to favour the word injury, because its a fact! yes we were very very poor, but had hacket stayed on we,d have taken a point. And as regards Davids influence, anonymous, he certainly did,nt run the show, or influence the match anymore than Gutts or Harding would,ve, if they'd been fit. We are suffering one of the worst runs of injuries i've ever experienced, three full backs in as many matches! and that is the reason for the loans, and the reason for our inconsistency.
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 20, 2012, 11:39:16 am »

If mid table is the limit of our ambition this season, why would anyone with half a brain bother going to watch at all this season?  Unfortunately our last few seasons have been typified by pre-Christmas dips in form that have seen us end up in a real relegation dogfight and I fear we're about to embark upon another poor run of form.
Report Spam   Logged
Artlenock Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 20, 2012, 12:30:15 pm »

If mid table is the limit of our ambition this season, why would anyone with half a brain bother going to watch at all this season?  Unfortunately our last few seasons have been typified by pre-Christmas dips in form that have seen us end up in a real relegation dogfight and I fear we're about to embark upon another poor run of form.

It's a phenomena known in hot air ballooning as 'false lift'. We seem to suffer from it big time and unless we arrest this we are going to hit the ground with an almighty thump...... By 5.00 pm next Saturday we can asses the situation but as always, a calm heads are needed.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 20, 2012, 12:34:22 pm »

As to going to Barnet, I've reached a stage in life when loyalty is tempered by reality: their ground is vile, their pricing policy for away fans is discriminatory, and running the gauntlet of the M1 and M25 on a Friday night is for either diehards or the mentally challenged. Well done those who got there but I've had my fill of it.

The trouble is Steve you are in a minority in compared to the hundreds who did go.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 20, 2012, 14:54:46 pm »

Can only think of one player who actually put in any effort or running (Wilson) and even he was ****e.

Nut - if you think Wilson put in any effort then I missed it. For the second half I was in Zombieland - from what I can remember only Langmead and LNichols "efforts". As for Bayo he must have had the "sleeping sickness". What annoys me that we had the same shambles as at Bristol Rovers - perhaps we need the unmovable oil tanker to organise/galvanise us (again). Apologies to our "Terry".
Report Spam   Logged

NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #197 on: October 20, 2012, 15:18:38 pm »

Nut - if you think Wilson put in any effort then I missed it. For the second half I was in Zombieland - from what I can remember only Langmead and LNichols "efforts". As for Bayo he must have had the "sleeping sickness". What annoys me that we had the same shambles as at Bristol Rovers - perhaps we need the unmovable oil tanker to organise/galvanise us (again). Apologies to our "Terry".

I left before the end so didn't get to see him apparently giving up on chasing back after losing the ball for their fourth goal, but in the part of the game I did see he was trying to do the work of about 3 or 4 people on his own, covering plenty of ground and looking genuinely annoyed at what was going on.
Report Spam   Logged

Birdpoo

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 20, 2012, 21:53:54 pm »

If mid table is the limit of our ambition this season, why would anyone with half a brain bother going to watch at all this season?  
Exactly, and that's the reason why I haven't been once this season. Now I don't mean to sound smug, but after being a season ticket holder for 16 out of the last 26 seasons, I've just lost my love for my club. There are so many more things that I enjoy doing on a Saturday afternoon these days. Watching the Cobblers is a dismal experience and I'm better staying away.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 21:55:28 pm by Birdpoo » Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #199 on: October 20, 2012, 22:00:26 pm »

Exactly, and that's the reason why I haven't been once this season. Now I don't mean to sound smug, but after being a season ticket holder for 16 out of the last 26 seasons, I've just lost my love for my club. There are so many more things that I enjoy doing on a Saturday afternoon these days. Watching the Cobblers is a dismal experience and I'm better staying away.

I'll second that emotion!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: