The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 03:05:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Northampton Borough Council

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Northampton Borough Council  (Read 973 times)
County Cobbler

Badges: (View All)
« on: September 17, 2010, 10:08:36 am »

In the C&E it reports that Cllr John Yates has defected from the Lid Dems to the Cons. This leaves the Lib Dems with 23 councillors and the Cons, Lab and Ind 24.
As I am not a political geek, does anybody know if this defection means an earlier decision on the development of a Garden Centre, Tesco Extra and Hotel at Sixfields?
TC where are you?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Marvo

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 10:54:36 am »

I don't know but he sounds like a bloke you can trust, changing sides as soon as he realised the Lib/Dems are facing wipeout in next years elections.
Report Spam   Logged
Tony Clarke

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 13:18:35 pm »

What it means as has been suggested is that the three opposition parties can now outvote the Lib Dems on ny motion by 24 votes to 23. Its still early doors, but I have a meeting this afternoon with the other leaders of groups to discuss.

My guess is that the Lib Dems will limp on as an minor administration without a majority until next Mays e;ections as a coalition between the Tories. Labour and our three Independents is a coalition too far.

However, as the Tories and Labour have both  commented on the need for the Liberal Democrats Planning Regime to be relaxed then ther may well be a chanvce for a suitable motion to be supported by the oppisition parties at a Full Council which would change the Councils policy.

But don't expect a motion which says "We allow the Saints or the Cobblers to develop as they wish" as this would still be challenged in Planning terms.

What we need is a sensible motion, which I am more than happy (and now able)to move which talks about the need to protect the town centre but recognise that not all out of town development will harm the centre and that in the current economic times development of any sort and the associated jobs it may bring are worthy of every consideration.

What we want is dialougue which is not one sided (i.e. with the council simply saying no, or worse telling us to get on with it when they know they would have turned it down"

I will speak to my group and to others and suggest that something this important should be done collectively rather than in a party political way and see if we can make something happen before the next election and not on the promise of what people may do afterwards.

So watch this space
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 13:30:34 pm »

Are you able to rationalise the planning approval of Aldi in Weston Favell and how that fits in with current no out of town developments stance ?
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
Tony Clarke

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 13:44:50 pm »

Yes,

That one was simple really, the site Aldi were building on, on the Wellingborough already had a retail planning permission (For the old Citreon Garage and other stores on the site) So Aldi did not have to apply for a change in use,and the planners only looked at how the building will look.

This is why Tesco's and Sainsbury's have also recently opened stores on the Wellingborough and Kettering Roads on sites which also already had permission for retail sales.

What the Saints and the Cobblers want is new retail and change of use. For the record I don't believe that a supermarket is the best option for new out of town development, as the local plan studies only allows for one more, and I think the Saints have backed the wrong horse. What should be allowed is Retail offers which will not harm the town centre, such as a Garden Centre or Leisure retail (Decathlon or Go Outdoors type)

That way everyone wins, the town centre is protected and sports clubs can grow.
Report Spam   Logged
County Cobbler

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 13:52:12 pm »

Tony- Thank you for your response. I hope the group of independants can put together a motion (in the next few months) with the Cons and Lab to progress the Sixfields expansion and give the Cobblers a chance of a proper future.
Over to you- nice easy task!
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 18:58:23 pm »

Ditto. Thanks for the reply.
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
REDLETTER

we came,we saw,we conquered.N.t.f.c.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 19:20:45 pm »

Well done Tony,you have hit the nail on the head.A top notch camping shop selling all,would be a welcome addition.It could be encouraged to have many links with the local community and wildlife.
Report Spam   Logged
saturday banana

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 19:40:30 pm »

Are you able to rationalise the planning approval of Aldi in Weston Favell and how that fits in with current no out of town developments stance ?

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY ZEN.
How the hell does an Aldi in WF differ from anything being proposed in Duston/Jimmys End.

The whole thing stinks of hypocritical self serving pigs who are being ruled (imo) by a non elected private company who just happen to own the Grosvenor.

Northampton is ruled by private business it seems and not by NBC...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 19:44:58 pm by saturday banana » Report Spam   Logged
saturday banana

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 19:43:10 pm »

Yes,

That one was simple really, the site Aldi were building on, on the Wellingborough already had a retail planning permission (For the old Citreon Garage and other stores on the site) So Aldi did not have to apply for a change in use,and the planners only looked at how the building will look.

This is why Tesco's and Sainsbury's have also recently opened stores on the Wellingborough and Kettering Roads on sites which also already had permission for retail sales.

What the Saints and the Cobblers want is new retail and change of use. For the record I don't believe that a supermarket is the best option for new out of town development, as the local plan studies only allows for one more, and I think the Saints have backed the wrong horse. What should be allowed is Retail offers which will not harm the town centre, such as a Garden Centre or Leisure retail (Decathlon or Go Outdoors type)

I have suggested an indoor skate park...but it won't pay apparenetly.
Would be good for the club to be seen to provide facilities to keep the Yoofs off the street... but if it doesn't pay, it won't be worth it.
Report Spam   Logged
guest143

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 20:11:01 pm »

I have suggested an indoor skate park...but it won't pay apparenetly.
Would be good for the club to be seen to provide facilities to keep the Yoofs off the street... but if it doesn't pay, it won't be worth it.

Indoor skate park is a good idea. Corbys Adrenaline Alley is really popular and rated one of the best in Europe. I used to spend my younger years at Radlands in Northampton before it was closed down and Y2SK8 in Peterborough before it was closed down (yeah I know shhhh). Me and my mates would rent out Corby indoor skatepark on a sunday and the gather about 15 people to pay a tenner each to come and it used to be something ontop of football to look forward to at the end of a school week.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 20:55:55 pm »

Yes,

Sod that, let them build an ASDA....we'll all benefit from cheaper petrol/diesel!!! Did you know that Asda in Bletchley sells unleaded for 110.9, Tesco in Bletchley for 111.9, yet at Tesco Mereway its 115.9!  Stuff the town centre...its a dump anyway, just let me save over £100 a year on my petrol bills!!!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
Positively Mad Mark

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 12:01:43 pm »

Petrol has always been dear in this town though.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: