The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 07:31:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Clive Platt

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clive Platt  (Read 6768 times)
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« on: December 23, 2012, 02:05:01 am »

Fantastic performance from Clive against Aldershot- not just the goal (brilliantly taken) but his all-round play- to those questioning what he offers, I think you got your answer yesterday. His link-up play was fantastic throughout...
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

TbananaG

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 07:49:52 am »

Well, this is a place for sharing opinions, so I'm going to disagree with you there. I thought he was poor yesterday, and the goal was the exception that proved the rule - one moment when he actually asserted. My big problem with him is the number of missed headers - looks to me like he's starting to do that Steve Guinan thing of jumping just slightly away from where the ball's going to come down. I thought we really missed Bayo yesterday - the big difference is that everything goes to Platt's head and, when he does win a header, the lay offs are fairly random. With Bayo, you have option to play it to his chest and feet as well, knowing the lay off will then be a controlled one.

And Platt's body language is often so uninterested - that does him no favours.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 08:14:50 am »

Yesterday's conditions would have suited Bayo well. AB said Platt is not a replacement for Bayo and he's right, he also said he's a championship striker, but I think he's wrong there.
Report Spam   Logged
A view from the east

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 08:37:53 am »

He's an ex championship striker. Thought he did ok yesterday and lets face it Bayo isnt going to play every game.
At least it showed that there is some sort of plan B in place.
It does slightly worry me though that someone as tall as him wins so few headers.
Banana is right about his body language as well.
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 08:42:32 am »

I've a friend who's a Notts County fan, and the first thing he said to me when Platt signed was that he was always puzzled why when he is clearly a big athletic man, he just couldn't jump. I think of this every time he is beaten to yet another header. I doubt that part of his game will change now.
Report Spam   Logged
HertsCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 08:58:03 am »

You can hardly blame him looking fed up when he is being fouled all of the time and the ref does nothing.
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 09:20:10 am »

You can hardly blame him looking fed up when he is being fouled all of the time and the ref does nothing.

Do you know what - that's also part of my problem with him. He was having his shirt pulled the whole time yesterday and I didn't see him complain once. Our fans seemed a lot more bothered about it than he did.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 09:41:47 am »

I sometimes wonder if some people watch the game at all. Platt was excellent yesterday. Some of the criticism he's getting at the moment harks back to when Steve Howard first joined and couldn't get a goal for love nor money. He was playing well, just not scoring and in some people's eyes if a striker doesn't score then he's s***. They ignore the link up play, the set up work, the room created for others; no, he's a striker, he's not scoring himself therefore he's s***.

I hope to god the poor sod doesn't read this board, it must be soul destroying to put in probably your best all round performance for your team, have a goal ruled out early on, link up well with others, cause problems throughout and then round the game off by showing pace, determination and no little class to score a stoppage time goal only to get home, look at this and see people saying "yeah, he scored a good goal but what else did he do...?"
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
TbananaG

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 09:50:33 am »

Look, we just disagree on this. But I'm absolutely on his side and want him to do well and your point is a sound one that we don't want our own players thinking we're picking on them. Not my aim at all so I'm saying nothing more.
Report Spam   Logged
IwishIwasafly

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 09:52:26 am »

Glad to see his target amount of goals is getting nearer ............

Report Spam   Logged

So where were the spiders, while the fly tried to break our balls
ntfcgavin

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 09:59:28 am »

I must say I was guilty of questioning Platts ability at the start of the season, but since the oxford game he has looked a different player! I was quite interested to hear about his back problem which he has had since he joined us and im putting the first few months of his cobblers career down to that! Anyway well done Clive you are proving me wrong and a great goal yesterday! Keep it up!
Report Spam   Logged
Elad

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 10:42:51 am »

Platt brings another dimension to the team and I am happy he is on board. Should have had 2 goals yesterday (first was fine from where I was sitting). I knew some people would moan about nothing afteer yesterday where it all looks pretty rosy to me.
Report Spam   Logged

If you are the big tree, we are the small axe. Ready to cut you down, to cut you down.
SmithyNTFC

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 11:22:33 am »

I thought he played poor yesterday but obviously didn't help with the conditions and the service given to him but fair play, he remained patient and took his chance   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 11:25:20 am »

I agree there was nothing wrong with the first goal which was a top finish.
If that had stood combined with his second goal he would have been nailed on man of the match.
The fact is Clive could hit a hat trick and some on here would still knock him.
Yes at times he does look laid back which doesn't help him but you could see what the chalked off goal meant to him and he certainly cares about the club.
Pele he ain't but he is our player and while not prolific I can see him scoring some vital goals for us this season.
What price a play off final goal??
Sometimes things just seem written in the stars.
Report Spam   Logged
TheEdgeyMole

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 11:28:10 am »

I thought he was poor yesterday, I am one of his fans and can appreciate the link up/hold up ability of his but it was immensely lacking yesterday - there were large chunks of the game where the ball just kept coming back - not all Platts fault as some of the balls up to him were poor, but he is due some blame for that.

He took his goal very well though and you couldn't fault his effort yesterday, just an off day.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 11:43:50 am »

I agree there was nothing wrong with the first goal which was a top finish.
If that had stood combined with his second goal he would have been nailed on man of the match.
The fact is Clive could hit a hat trick and some on here would still knock him.
Yes at times he does look laid back which doesn't help him but you could see what the chalked off goal meant to him and he certainly cares about the club.
Pele he ain't but he is our player and while not prolific I can see him scoring some vital goals for us this season.
What price a play off final goal??
Sometimes things just seem written in the stars.

I take it you are on the pop today and feeling festive? Can't think of any other reason for you using the 'p word' during a Cobblers conversation!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 14:24:51 pm »

He's an ex championship striker.

That is true, but it's not how AB described him yesterday.
There are some sensitive souls on this thread. Ok, he's no Constantine but he's not making much of an impact so far and I'm amazed he got a two year deal.
Report Spam   Logged
TopCat

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 17:15:13 pm »

Well done Clive. Keep proving them wrong! Excellent game yesterday.
Report Spam   Logged

Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible c***’... me!

CARDOZA - A clown, A fool, A charlaton. The destroyer of NTFC 1897 to 2015....ON HIS WATCH!!!!
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 14:12:08 pm »

It's funny, because I think Clive has played a lot better in other games this season where he has been absolutely slated on here after. It's funny how we all see games differently Grin

My view of Platt is that he is an effective player at this level. His hold up play is quite good, but he should probably win more headers for his height. He's certainly improved his performances since the Oxford game though, and he's looking a far bigger goal threat now.

I think a reason for some of the criticism of him is that we've been spoilt with Bayo. It's very rare at this level that you get a player who can both hold the ball up AND be a prolific goalscorer like Bayo is. Most strikers at this level are usually one or the other.

I also think some people need to remember that Clive is 35, he isn't going to chase every ball!!

Report Spam   Logged
fwalden

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 00:08:04 am »

So insider, getting worried are we?! Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Frederick Ingram "Fanny" Walden (1 March 1888 – 3 May 1949) was an English professional footballer who played on the right-wing for Northampton Town, Tottenham Hotspur and at international level for England during the 1910s and 1920s.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: