The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 10:30:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Real Ale in Carrs Bar

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Real Ale in Carrs Bar  (Read 9634 times)
A view from the east

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 20:08:22 pm »

If we polish off the IPA ( not my choice either but much better than nitro keg ),
maybe they will look at getting a guest ale in for each home game.
Slip the odd firkin in through the back door and just not tell Carlsberg ?
Report Spam   Logged
sbedscobb

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 20:55:14 pm »

Getting straight to the point... those running 'our' clubs supporters bar have let the club its supporters down for its shambolic half arsed running of what should be profit turning matchday and other days events venue..  Please spare me the 'we give up our time and help the starving children of the third world' what do you do mantra, as its worn very thin.

And before any trusty types get hot under the collar, ask yourselves this, why do Northampton Spencer FC's Mill ground and every other tiny sporting clubs take more money in its supporters bars than ours does?

The only reason they have now relented on the numerous requests to sell beer at the bar is because the place is so non profitable, this mainly due to the desperately slow serving staff and half pint shandy huggers hovering around poorly placed tables and chairs clogging 80% of the place up  on match days.

I would be happy for the club to clear the decks in there and use the space for more restaurant space and replace the bar with  temporary mobile structure placed out side.

GO....
Report Spam   Logged
Whitedogdo

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 21:34:05 pm »

One of these days those that try, will realise there is a good reason why those who don't, don't...

Well done to NTFC. Don't be too disappointed that the pathological miserable bstards aren't happy.
Spot on Tel....
If the product doesn't sell after the requests on here, the trust will be out of pocket after agreeing to under write the trial barrel (my suggestion) but it will also never be purchased again. So over to you beer lovers.....
Drink or make do with what was there before.

Can we have some nice brie and some black pepper water biscuits please...I hate crisps LOL
Report Spam   Logged
TheEdgeyMole

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 22:37:55 pm »

Any chance of some strippers/whores/sluts ?
Report Spam   Logged
West Stand

View Profile
500 Posts Search Combination
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 07:55:55 am »

Getting straight to the point... those running 'our' clubs supporters bar have let the club its supporters down for its shambolic half arsed running of what should be profit turning matchday and other days events venue..  Please spare me the 'we give up our time and help the starving children of the third world' what do you do mantra, as its worn very thin.

And before any trusty types get hot under the collar, ask yourselves this, why do Northampton Spencer FC's Mill ground and every other tiny sporting clubs take more money in its supporters bars than ours does?

The only reason they have now relented on the numerous requests to sell beer at the bar is because the place is so non profitable, this mainly due to the desperately slow serving staff and half pint shandy huggers hovering around poorly placed tables and chairs clogging 80% of the place up  on match days.

I would be happy for the club to clear the decks in there and use the space for more restaurant space and replace the bar with  temporary mobile structure placed out side.

GO....

It would help if you provided some actual turnover and profit and loss figures to back up your statement.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 08:25:30 am by West Stand » Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 08:02:42 am »

Straight to the point....The bar is run by the people employed by David Cardoza who OWNS the club , I'm sure he would welcome your advice on how to run the bar, wither he takes any notice of it is up to him , which is exactly the same as any suggestions made by the Trust.
   Could you please pm me the figures of how much Carrs Bar ,Spencer and all the other tiny clubs make it should make interesting reading.

P.S. Sorry I couldn't offer you a lift to Wimbledon , I was too busy "helping the starving children of the third world"  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 08:25:14 am »

Coolcat seems like a bit of a real ale buff. Might be worth the originator of this thread running the choices by him. I like Batemans myself but i cant see it being on the Carlsberg list.

Was on the Batemans yesterday..Boston Utd v Oxford City..fine ale! As said, would love (to have seen) just a barrell or two of a local micro - Frog Island from down Weedon Rd, Nobbys (Guilsborough) Great Oakley etc..any one would be fantastic!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Luton Cobbler

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 08:52:58 am »

Straight to the point....The bar is run by the people employed by David Cardoza who OWNS the club , I'm sure he would welcome your advice on how to run the bar, wither he takes any notice of it is up to him , which is exactly the same as any suggestions made by the Trust.
   Could you please pm me the figures of how much Carrs Bar ,Spencer and all the other tiny clubs make it should make interesting reading.

There are two simple reasons why the smaller non-league teams turnover greater revenue than I'm sure that Carrs Bar does. I know the bar turnover of two clubs -both Southern League (Before you ask Barton, no I will not pm you as they are confidential) and would be shocked if they do not turnover at least double what Carrs does

Firstly - these clubs are at the heart of their community. They are social clubs that are used 7 days a week and are in general terms busy every day. They are not necessarily tied to a brewery and can offer a range of beers. Form this reason they can sell beers with a shorter shelf life as they know it will go. Match days only account for a small percentage of their turnover. I have no idea how many days per week Carrs bar is open but I can not imagine it is used much, if at all on non match days?

Secondly is the level of service - On a match day there are obviously less fans at these games but a good percentage will have a pint before the game. I can only talk for these two clubs but service is quick, prices reasonable and a variety of drinks available. Carrs Bar offers none of this. The whole lay out of the Bar is not condusive to having large numbers of people in there and it offers no encouragement for people to spend money.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 08:56:38 am by Luton Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2012, 11:07:00 am »

I have no experience of working or managing a bar. I do however have vast experience on the other side. Any decent pub or club has more staff at busy times and a couple of hours at minimum wage should be easily outweighed by the extra pints sold. Simple. Offer a free ticket to someone or three to help out prematch if they have bar experience. Simple. Get some pint and a half glasses to max takings and minimise trips to the bar. Easy. Offer simple fare like chrese and onion or ham rolls on the bar.
Rearrange the seating and tell people to feck off away from the bar so you can get near it.

Encourage people in post match as well. I couldn't even tell you if it's open afterwards. Give out half time passes for a swift one like the players lounge does with option of paying up front like theatres do so its pre poured and ready for you. Lastly smile at the customers.
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 11:17:24 am »

There are two simple reasons why the smaller non-league teams turnover greater revenue than I'm sure that Carrs Bar does. I know the bar turnover of two clubs -both Southern League (Before you ask Barton, no I will not pm you as they are confidential) and would be shocked if they do not turnover at least double what Carrs does

Firstly - these clubs are at the heart of their community. They are social clubs that are used 7 days a week and are in general terms busy every day. They are not necessarily tied to a brewery and can offer a range of beers. Form this reason they can sell beers with a shorter shelf life as they know it will go. Match days only account for a small percentage of their turnover. I have no idea how many days per week Carrs bar is open but I can not imagine it is used much, if at all on non match days?

Secondly is the level of service - On a match day there are obviously less fans at these games but a good percentage will have a pint before the game. I can only talk for these two clubs but service is quick, prices reasonable and a variety of drinks available. Carrs Bar offers none of this. The whole lay out of the Bar is not condusive to having large numbers of people in there and it offers no encouragement for people to spend money.

You are also treated like an adult at that level and drink while watching the game. Whenever I go and watch Bury Town, we normally end up having 3 or 4 pints during the game.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
Elad

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 12:01:57 pm »

There's no reason why the club should take offence to these criticisms and suggestions. After all we all want a better service and more going through the tills for the club don't we? I can't see why they can't have a bottle bar section for the lagers where you have a couple of people opening and pouring. Carr's bar needs to be more about quivk and efficient service rather than a community centre for those nursing drinks.
Report Spam   Logged

If you are the big tree, we are the small axe. Ready to cut you down, to cut you down.
Elad

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 12:06:34 pm »

There's no doubt that we have lagged behind other clubs (including non league) in pretty much the whole commercial side of the club for a number of years. We are slowly getting there but i still wouldn't say its good enough considering we have  a decent number of fans with trade experience. In fact you could probably get volunteers from the fanbase to help with the marketing, ticket office, club shop, bars and food etc that are vastly more qualified than the people actually doing it. Strange.
Report Spam   Logged

If you are the big tree, we are the small axe. Ready to cut you down, to cut you down.
guest48

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 14:08:19 pm »

I have no experience of working or managing a bar. I do however have vast experience on the other side. Any decent pub or club has more staff at busy times and a couple of hours at minimum wage should be easily outweighed by the extra pints sold. Simple. Offer a free ticket to someone or three to help out prematch if they have bar experience. Simple. Get some pint and a half glasses to max takings and minimise trips to the bar. Easy. Offer simple fare like chrese and onion or ham rolls on the bar.
Agree with most of this. Can I state now ,that Carrs Bar is run by NTFC NOT the Trust . all the decisions about staff numbers ,what beer to stock, food sold and hours opened are made entirely by NTFC. The Trust can ,have done and will in the future , make suggestions to NTFC about the running of the bar BUT thats what they are , suggestions , and it's 100% NTFC's decision if they want to implement any of these suggestions.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2012, 18:59:34 pm »

I'd make the west stand concourse one big bar for home fans and change carrs bar into a restaurant expansion.
You'd get loads more people in the concourse and there are already tv's in place.
You never know you may get an atmosphere there.
Carrs bar is like an old folks home.
More people sat down than stood up and the ones that stand just block the bar.
Basically it's a shambles.
Oh and if you get served by one of the two staff it takes an eternity.
Report Spam   Logged
Jess

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 21:36:38 pm »

Agree with a lot of this. No one wants to waits ages to get served in an room totally devoid of atmosphere. The whole thing is tin pot.

It's a real shame that the whole area around Sixfields is completely devoid of a decent home for the pre match element of a footy match.

This includes the shambles that is the Sixfields tavern which is easily the worst 'closest to a footy ground' boozer I've ever had the misfortune to go into.
Report Spam   Logged
betamax toploader

THAT MONEY WAS THERE FOR OUR CLUB

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2012, 22:16:21 pm »

This includes the shambles that is the Sixfields tavern which is easily the worst 'closest to a footy ground' boozer I've ever had the misfortune to go into.
Not been to many away games then?
Grimsby, Luton, and that sh1thole outside Loftus Road spring immediately to mind.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

To baldly go where no Betamax has gone before...
wazzacobbler

Warrington Cobblers Supporters

View Profile WWW
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2012, 11:10:54 am »

I'd just like to add to the whole staff numbers argument. The few times I have been in Carr's Bar, there have been 3 people serving behind the bar. The bar is very small. How many people do you think can work comfortably behind that bar? remember that there is only 1 till and therefore, more staff will mean more people using that 1 till and thus creating a traffic jam at said till if you put more staff on. Alternatively, put more staff on and watch as they all get in each others way and can't serve the customers' quickly because they keep bumping into each other and getting in each others way.

More staff is NOT the answer
Report Spam   Logged

Host and Producer of the It's All Cobblers To Me podcast
@CobblersToMe @charlescommins
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2012, 11:18:34 am »

A second till would probably help though.

I've never been in Carr's Bar so don't know what type of till system they use, but a basic computerised till system would have 2 tills with 2 cash drawers each allowing four people to work behind the bar.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2012, 11:52:05 am »

GO....
Actually, what's wearing thin is your constant snipes at the Trust. Frankly I think it's embarrassing. I have no idea what we've done to offend you. Perhaps you'd like to share it with us?

It's a shame, because in some of your other posts you actually raise good points, and we've actually suggested a number of these to the club.

But as we REPEATEDLY tell you (and it never seems to sink in), it is the FOOTBALL CLUB that decide whether to take these suggestions on board. We can't force them to do anything.

And I'd remind you that it was myself that brought attention to the real ale debate at a TRUST Open Forum with David Cardoza. As a result some real ale has been brought in for the next couple of home games. If it succeeds it will stay and they will possibly put more on offer. I see this as progress. All this amongst my amazing charity work in Africa. Frankly I don't know how I wasn't involved in the New Years honours Tongue

The only negative is, as some people rightly say, it can take a while to get served in there. Putting more staff behind the bar has been suggested to the club.

My personal view is similar to Wazza's. I think the bar is too small and needs to be bigger. From the clubs perspective though, they think that parts of the ground could get redeveloped within the next two years, so they aren't going to pay to extend Carr's Bar when there could potentially be a new supporters bar altogether in the next couple of years.

My views are that if they aren't going to extend Carr's Bar then at least have a bottle bar somewhere, and a couple more staff on who are just pouring pints. Again, these have been and will be suggested again to the club.

Believe it or not myself and a lot of people on the Trust board agree with most of the points raised on this subject, but all we can do is bring them to the clubs attention. It is up to them to act, because ultimately it's them who make the money out of it.

So sbedscobb, sit down, read the whole post and consider what the Trust could have done better. If you think we could have then please let us know how, we're always open to constructive criticism, not constant sniping. If you want, we could meet at the next home game and discuss it in person? Might I suggest meeting in Carr's Bar? Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Elad

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2012, 13:13:43 pm »

If they put a better selection of Carlsberg products up in the West Stand concourse it might tempt a few more drinkers up there. Ill make it very simple. Ring up the contact at Carslbeg and ask for the following.

1. Carlsberg
2. Carlsberg Export
3. Kronenbourg 1664
4. Jacobsen Saaz Blonde
5. Jacobsen Sommer Wit (Wheat beer)

Or ask Carlsberg to suggest 4 or 5 beers that represent the best they do. All sold in bottles/cans, just open and pour.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: