The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 23:29:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Chesterfield

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chesterfield  (Read 10736 times)
Bog Paper

Lavatory Paper Connoisseur

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2013, 21:55:01 pm »

One of the reasons I and many others rarely come on here these days is because of people who seem to think their opinion is the fountain of all knowledge and no one else knows what they are talking about. They see themselves as keen students of the game, providing us all with their considered thoughtful analysis and denouncing anyone else who has a contrary view.

I think a lot of people thought we were better than we actually are: AB talked the other week about "managing the expectation". Maybe he was trying to play things down to keep the pressure off the players or perhaps he was telling the truth. So time will tell whether we had a bad day at the office, or we were indeed simply "outclassed".

But you shouldn't be outclassed by a team in your own division, unless maybe that team has spent a disproportionate amount of money in comparison to yourselves. But Chesterfield haven't.
Report Spam   Logged

It has to be "B"
Another big smile on my face. I always get the big decisions right.

Couldn't be happier, you can all blame me if it turns pear shaped. Up next year without a doubt and no need of the play-offs.
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2013, 21:59:36 pm »

From your comments in the paragraph afterwards, it looks like we watched the same game.

PS You missed out Carlisle's airkick early on that left him shaking his head.

I did say that Carlisle's heading was sub standard! Wink
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2013, 22:13:01 pm »

But you shouldn't be outclassed by a team in your own division, unless maybe that team has spent a disproportionate amount of money in comparison to yourselves. But Chesterfield haven't.

Teams are frequently outclassed even in their own back yard - It happens! Today Fleetwood who meet your criteria of "disproportionate amount of money" lost 3-0 at home to Bristol R who are bottom of the league! As for Chesterfield apparently they are also paying Mark Richards a "disproportionate amount of money" per month!!  By and large I agree with your comments but to criticize the know all's on here is a waste of time. After all only you and I know what utter rubbish they spought Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
SmithyNTFC

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2013, 23:53:03 pm »

Really need to push on and get out this league, hate watching the football league show and seeing teams like Chesterfield smash us 3-0 (Barnet 4-0) etc

League one full of smaller teams than us, kinda embarrasing

The likes of Hartlepool, Shrewsbury, Sc***horpe, Stevenage, Crawley, Walsall, Yeovil ...  teams like that aren't bigger than us. We are pushing well behind our weight  Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2013, 00:10:31 am »

I wasn't there. So no way will I insult you by saying we should "draw a line under it".

I think we should "turn over a new leaf" and have a "fresh start"...  Grin Tongue

Grin  Kiss
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #165 on: January 13, 2013, 00:49:15 am »

To be fair, it's still only a week since we outclassed Fleetwood, above us in the table having spent a mad amount of money.

IMHO the main problems today were:
- that Chesterfield's system meant that Gutts and Harding were totally by-passed for the first half an hour and we were already 3-0 down before Robinson was brought inside to try to counter that
- we didn't really turn up for the first 30 minutes
- once we'd got more into it after re-organising for the 2nd half, we still made no changes and were bringing everyone back for corners until the game was long gone.
CC and Langmead looked poor, but they were totally exposed and had several games worth of work to do in the first half hour. Much as I love Aidy, and given my points above, I wonder how much of the supposed complacency he would take responsibility for today?
Report Spam   Logged
County Cobbler

« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2013, 04:17:56 am »

WOT MIDFIELD?

Hackett did not get within 10 yards of their left back when he came forward!
Gutteridges first touch was very poor.
Harding might as well have sat in the stand next to me.
Robinson produced nothing.
Bayo and Platt gave the midfield no help from the halfway line, spectating!
The contrast from last week was staggering. Away games we can not play 2 immobile forwards and two players in wide midfield positions. This leaves just two players trying to battle in midfield.
Yes we need a mobile forward, on loan, and a left midfielder this week but no more.
In AB (and DC) we trust.
Well done to the fans for making the effort, even if the players didn't!
Report Spam   Logged
Clint

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #167 on: January 13, 2013, 06:18:34 am »

It seems like the midfield decided to take the day off, which meant the forwards got no service and the defence's frailties were exposed yet again. Some inspired substitutions, when it was clear (after about 20 minutes) that all was going pear-shaped might have saved the day, but our manager decided to show us that he was having an off day too.
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2013, 08:30:03 am »

These players are in League 2 for a reason ,if they all played like they did against Fleetwood every week they wouldn't be League 2 players , but they don't.The whole team had a bad day and Chesterfield played very well , but we are not that bad every week and they are not that good every week ,these things happen.
      Aidy said a few weeks ago that teams will only play really well 8 or 9 times a season and you will win those games , its winning the other games, when your not on top of your game ,that gets you promoted. Chesterfield had 1 of their games yesterday ,we had 1 of ours last week !
Report Spam   Logged
Elad

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 13, 2013, 09:54:35 am »

It was certainly a wake up call and exposed our weaknesses in one fell swoop. The mental weakness of certain players was exposed for all to see (won't name names). Boothroyd should have made changes after 10 mins it was so painfully obvious that the system wasnt right. All Chesterfield did was swarm forward trying to stretch the defence and expose the lack of pace and inibility to deal with balls over the top.

Carlisle had a mare full stop, Widdowson looked a shadow of what we had seen in recent weeks and Tozer clearly isnt a right back. They weren't helped at all by the midfield who didn't show for passes, couldn't find their team mates with the ball and didn't track back. Consequently Bayo and Platt were just bystanders to be frank.

We need Artell and Johnson back asap. A decent right back thrown on and Tozer switched accross, Carlisle subbed would have shored things up no end. Likewise we need someone in the middle who is going to make tackles and track back. To have Harding, Robinson and Hackett in the same midfield is too weak. Robinson clearly doesn't want to play left midfield so why not use him up front?

Platt and Bayo arent going to work together every game end of story.

So despite us going into the transfer window thinking we are pretty much set for players it looks like we need a Left midfielder, a defensive midfielder, a right back if Johnno is not up to scratch. As for forwards I'd give Robinson/ Moult or Wilson some more game time. Can't be much good for them being unsused subs when we are getting tw*tted.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 10:07:19 am by Elad » Report Spam   Logged

If you are the big tree, we are the small axe. Ready to cut you down, to cut you down.
Trotty

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2013, 10:27:20 am »

For me Carlisle was dog s***e today... wotst player but Robinson Hacket and Guttridge had a stinker too  Cry
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2013, 10:37:19 am »

Too many players are consistently failing to perform away from Sixfields. If we are to mount a challenge I think AB has to re-think the January transfer policy which appears to be one of inactivity.  A few changes can be made with Artell and Johnson returning from injury soon but this may not be enough.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2013, 11:03:12 am »

So we lost 3-0. BUT...and Im certainly not defending the team...it was a total shambles...Nicholls didn't make a single decent save all game! They really did take their only chances.

I disagree with the posts that say we need new players. What we need to ensure is that we turn up in the first place! We lost yesterday because collectively the team played at less than 100% from the start, enabling Chesterfield to win the match inside the first 30 minutes.

Clarke Carlise...and I really like him and acknowledge what he brings to the team...was absolutely terrible. He needs to know that and he needs to make sure that it doesn't happen again for a long time. Because despite our shocking performance, if just him had been on his game we would have probably got to half time 1-0 down and still very much in the game.

What really annoyed me though was that Aidy didn't make any changes until the latter stages, and when he did he took off our top scorer! When you are 3-0 down, it at least provides the perfect opportunity to give the fringe players a chance to stake their claims.

Onwards and upwards though. The team in 3rd place...Exeter...were beaten 3-0 at Sixfields. We are still very much in the hunt for promotion and we must remember that there have only been two occasions this season (yesterday and Barnet) where we have been well beaten. And yesterday was the first time we have been out of the game going into the latter stages.
Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2013, 11:24:32 am »

I don't think we need any new players either. Yesterday was very, very disappointing and Chesterfield were at us from the first minute, which made our defence very nervous and knocked on to the rest of the team. To play so well one week and so poorly the next says more about them being bottle merchants.At the start of the second half Hackett and Robinson had chances to shoot in the erea and they chose to pass and over play things. This is the same Hackett and Robinson who earlier in the season would shoot evety time from as far as 30 yards out.
They bottled it completely on the day and I really dont like that coming from such an overall experienced squad,
The diagonal runs and passes pulling our central defence apart was also worrying though we shouldn't be suprised they totally had us for pace too.
Hopefully Aidy will get them back ontrack and in with a chance of a play off place which will do me for this season just fine.
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2013, 11:25:47 am »

We most definitely need a few new players. Drilling - if we stick with exactly the same group we will get nothing much more away from home.  Too many times this season a large number of our regular players have been plainly awful away from Sixfields and it has happened so many times that to put it down to a "bad day at the office" is simplistic.  
Report Spam   Logged
County Cobbler

« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2013, 11:34:56 am »

Facts say we have had too many AWAY 'bad days at the office'!
Two lumps up front away from home has not worked, so one needs replacing with a mobile striker (even Moult).
Away a more combative player like Marrow is required to get in the opponents faces.
Personally I think the back 5 of Nicholls, Johnson, Artell, Langmead and Widdowson is more than adequate given some protection from the midfield.
In AB we trust.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2013, 11:44:31 am »

One other aspect that needs addressing is preparation. I certainly don't want to slate the lads, or draw negative attention to what was a "bad day at the office". But a sizeable group of the players (and they know who they are) did not prepare for this game in what I would call a professional manner..

If that's the case the "sizeable group of players" have let down the players who did prepare properly, the fans generally (especially those who travelled), DC and AB (without whom some of our players would currently be considerably less fulfilled in so many ways). This needs sorting out - the club needs season ticket renewals (and more through the gate fancying watching a promotion push), a few players need to be thinking of contract extensions (or the consequences of being out of contract at the end of the season) and we have three consecutive away games coming our way very soon - we need the points.
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2013, 11:45:03 am »

Tozer - is not a full back , he played centre back for half the game which is why they found it so easy to take the piss out of us down that flank. Also if he plays right back he's only taking half the throws so you nullify his threat by  50%.

Carlisle- Was a mess, he didn't seem to be out of position a lot but he was letting players get a run on him like he actually has legs and I cant remember a single or touch or pass going where he meant it too. Please stop him from taking set pieces, let Nicholls take them on the edge of the box.

Gutteridge-  Was off the boil, he was passing the ball to no one, which is very poor concentration for a player for his experience. Maybe he needs to sharpen up after being injured over Christmas.

Harding - Did not look fit, he seemed unable to challenge for anything.

Widdowson - wasn't that bad but his distribution was appalling unless he was asked to kick it at the right winger every time.

I think Im gonna start missing away games, we concede 3 goals every time I go away.
Report Spam   Logged

Elad

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2013, 11:53:22 am »

I'm getting f*cked off with the stock answer from the likes of Bayo on Twitter saying it was a bad day and we'll go again. Didn't he say the same thing against Barnet where the team put in an inexplicably bad performance?
Report Spam   Logged

If you are the big tree, we are the small axe. Ready to cut you down, to cut you down.
Dorset Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2013, 12:57:01 pm »

I'm getting f*cked off with the stock answer from the likes of Bayo on Twitter saying it was a bad day and we'll go again. Didn't he say the same thing against Barnet where the team put in an inexplicably bad performance?
Its easy - dont go on twitter!  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: