The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 08:26:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Chesterfield

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chesterfield  (Read 10933 times)
A view from the east

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2013, 13:10:16 pm »

Whats worrying for me is our inability to pass the ball with any accuracy.
Big boot up the field and then all run after it isnt football and we play like that home and away.
Sometimes it works and sometimes we look like a pub team ,
" Work in progress " and " we are better than that " are wearing a bit thin.
This team has been mostly assembled by Aidy and the way they play and the performances they collectively
put in are down to him.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #181 on: January 13, 2013, 13:37:15 pm »

This team has been mostly assembled by Aidy and the way they play and the performances they collectively
put in are down to him.

I have no problem agreeing with either of those statements: we are a work in progress, and we are better than that.
Since taking over, AB has introduced a positive, growth mindset into the dressing room and part of that is taking a positive attitude towards defeats and seeing them as a learning experience rather a reason for doom and gloom (see also Bayo's tweets). I have no problem with this kind of positive thinking at all.

What I want to see, though, is evidence of us learning from our mistakes and Aidy is included in that. I would argue that he made in mistake in letting East leave and playing Tozer at right back against pacey wingers; I would also argue that it was mistake not to bring Hornby and Moult on a lot sooner yesterday, when it was obvious that it wasn't working in midfield or up front after about 30 minutes. 

Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #182 on: January 13, 2013, 13:41:28 pm »

Tozer - is not a full back , he played centre back for half the game which is why they found it so easy to take the **** out of us down that flank. Also if he plays right back he's only taking half the throws so you nullify his threat by  50%.

Carlisle- Was a mess, he didn't seem to be out of position a lot but he was letting players get a run on him like he actually has legs and I cant remember a single or touch or pass going where he meant it too. Please stop him from taking set pieces, let Nicholls take them on the edge of the box.

Gutteridge-  Was off the boil, he was passing the ball to no one, which is very poor concentration for a player for his experience. Maybe he needs to sharpen up after being injured over Christmas.

Harding - Did not look fit, he seemed unable to challenge for anything.

Widdowson - wasn't that bad but his distribution was appalling unless he was asked to kick it at the right winger every time.

I think Im gonna start missing away games, we concede 3 goals every time I go away.

Ben tozer is a better full back than a centre back.
Report Spam   Logged
ntfclad

View Profile
Windows User Search Combination
« Reply #183 on: January 13, 2013, 13:46:22 pm »

Danny East left because he was injured, I follow him on twitter and he regularly tweets about how his injury is progressing. Our hand has been forced somewhat.
Report Spam   Logged
sbedscobb

« Reply #184 on: January 13, 2013, 13:50:51 pm »

I'm Very interested to see how we bounce back from this poor display when we play Burton, I can assume there won't be too many changes, maybe an emergency loan signing coming in to help with defensive cover, a pacy young premier/Championship fullback to help our centre halves?
Our lack of pace will be what all our opponents will be targeting even more so now after yesterday.
We always have good games against the Brewers and this will be real test to both clubs playoff ambitions, one we need to win.

Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #185 on: January 13, 2013, 14:43:27 pm »

Our midfield has been shore for years, no manager has changed that. And if we are waiting on tugboat artell and a drunken bum like johnson we are struggling.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #186 on: January 13, 2013, 14:45:25 pm »

Not shore, s***.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #187 on: January 13, 2013, 15:01:07 pm »

Our midfield has been shore for years, no manager has changed that. And if we are waiting on tugboat artell and a drunken bum like johnson we are struggling.

'drunken bum' like Johnson?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #188 on: January 13, 2013, 15:55:39 pm »

Whats worrying for me is our inability to pass the ball with any accuracy.
Big boot up the field and then all run after it isnt football and we play like that home and away.
Sometimes it works and sometimes we look like a pub team ,
put in are down to him.

But we are a work in progress, we have been **** for the past 5 seasons, during which we've had 4 changes of management, with a battle against relegation for the past 2 seasons.

We were never going to be promotion contenders this season, in fact we should be delighted with our position. We are a club in transition, this season is all about stabalisation and next season a serious push for promotion. Games like yesterday and Barnet happen, but in comparison to previous years they're happening a lot less.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 15:58:53 pm by St Edmundsbury Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
defender

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 13, 2013, 16:11:03 pm »

Think back to where we were this time next season, well we are MUCH better this season, but you cant run before you can walk,
Steady as she goes is often better in the grand scale of things, it's no good racing through the table, winning the title before you are good enough, it can happen, just think about it. we have improved beyond all expectations, but we must not get carried away and games like this one, will stop that.So for me where we are now is good enough for me. Aidy is no fool, he will improve us again after this season, then we may well be good enough to challenge for the top three. Think positive, Aidy will get us there, keep the faith.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 13, 2013, 16:15:19 pm »

But we are a work in progress, we have been **** for the past 5 seasons, during which we've had 4 changes of management, with a battle against relegation for the past 2 seasons.

We were never going to be promotion contenders this season, in fact we should be delighted with our position. We are a club in transition, this season is all about stabalisation and next season a serious push for promotion. Games like yesterday and Barnet happen, but in comparison to previous years they're happening a lot less.

Good post Sir, I'm sorry I posted mine so soon after yours, if I'd have taken the advice given, I would have thought more about mine.
Report Spam   Logged
Elad

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 13, 2013, 17:41:03 pm »

How many away fans were there in the end?
Report Spam   Logged

If you are the big tree, we are the small axe. Ready to cut you down, to cut you down.
ntfclad

View Profile
Windows User Search Combination
« Reply #192 on: January 13, 2013, 18:13:08 pm »

726 I've seen about
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #193 on: January 13, 2013, 18:15:14 pm »

Think back to where we were this time next season, well we are MUCH better this season, but you cant run before you can walk,
Steady as she goes is often better in the grand scale of things, it's no good racing through the table, winning the title before you are good enough, it can happen, just think about it. we have improved beyond all expectations, but we must not get carried away and games like this one, will stop that.So for me where we are now is good enough for me. Aidy is no fool, he will improve us again after this season, then we may well be good enough to challenge for the top three. Think positive, Aidy will get us there, keep the faith.

Is this a serious comment? Yes agree, it would be no good winning nearly all our remaining games..and some silverware...that just wouldn't do! A whole paragraph of meaningless rhetoric here...or is that a whoosh over my head?  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
A view from the east

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 13, 2013, 18:20:13 pm »

I'm not complaining about the effort and yes we are better than we were last season ( it would be hard to be worse ) but I've seen every other team in this division this season and quite frankly we play less football than any of them. The way we play is Aidy Boothroyds way and all of his teams have played that way.
Hoofball may just get us out of league 2 but it wont be for long.
Sorry but I would just like to see my team play some football for a change.
Report Spam   Logged
sbedscobb

« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2013, 18:46:28 pm »

I'm sure most of us regulars to Sixfields have noticed the calibre of opposition has been the poorest for years and therefore must be taken advantage of, if we fail to reach and be successful in the playoffs this season, you can be sure the two promoted clubs and four relegated teams will show more quality and along with this seasons league 2 nearly teams, will make it even tougher for us.
 We could be singing the same old tune next season! A tune I'm sick of!

Atkins, for 2 years running got us into the playoffs and Wilson got us promoted when it looked much less likely than this season.

A couple of decent loan signings, several kicks up the arses, The Sixfields roar with the wind at our backs  and Aidy B will get us up, something he's done before.
Report Spam   Logged
derbycobbler

View Profile
Combination Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2013, 19:38:46 pm »

Chesterfield were playing 4-5-1 and with the extra man in midfield caused absolute chaos in the first half exposing out sluggish defence and isolating Bayo and Platt up front.

I do like to see Bayo and Platt together however unless we can dominate midfield they are totally useless.
Report Spam   Logged
mackemcobbler
FTM

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2013, 20:32:49 pm »

Really need to push on and get out this league, hate watching the football league show and seeing teams like Chesterfield smash us 3-0 (Barnet 4-0) etc

League one full of smaller teams than us, kinda embarrasing

The likes of Hartlepool, Shrewsbury, S****horpe, Stevenage, Crawley, Walsall, Yeovil ...  teams like that aren't bigger than us. We are pushing well behind our weight  Sad
what a load of s*** we are not & have never been a big team we are a Lge 1 side @ the most
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2013, 21:31:12 pm »

Final word for the officials - Stuart Atwell and his pathetic excuses for linesmen. Their 90 minute performance was as pitiful as our first half performance was.

I wondered when somebody would moan about the lines man - but it is a fair enough moan. The ref certainly punished us for any perceived slight misdemeanour!

There is no point in continued moaning about last Saturday's game. We know we were very poor - most of the defence and fwds are generally ok - its the midfield we have to worry about. Until AB can fix it then our form will be up and down like a tarts knickers.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2013, 21:42:58 pm »

God knows what was wrong with us today, we just didn't turn up. The worst performance of the season.

Carlisle had a nightmare, Widdowson was subdued, Tozer kept getting dragged infield, Langmead struggled manfully but couldn't do it all himself and I don't think Nicholls could be blamed for any of the goals.

Actually, despite the scoreline, I think the main problem today was the midfield rather than the defence. They didn't hold the ball, win the ball or find the strikers... Hackett was ok second half but just couldn't get involved in the first, Harding was anonymous and Luke Guttridge had the worst game I've ever seen him have. I'd have subbed him after 20 minutes, it was that bad. Robinson deserves a bit of credit for his performance. It wasn't the type of performance you'd want him to put in, but he put himself about, filled gaps and made himself a nuisance.

Upfront, Platt looked ok without getting much and Bayo had a quiet one although to be fair neither got any decent service.

Still, hopefully today was just a blip. A bloody terrible blip.

I get the impression that you saw the same game as me! Once again (Backo' Net) highlights our awol midfield. As bad as the defence and fwds collectively played we know they can do better. I can only repeat ad nauseam that AB has to sort out the midfield. For a start move Tozer back there and recall Hornby!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: