The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 14:49:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

A minute's silence for Margaret Thatcher

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A minute's silence for Margaret Thatcher  (Read 8225 times)
Monty

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 14:56:33 pm »

This thread is in extreme poor taste and in any case is not relevant to this forum.
I don't agree with you here - I think that it is a relevant discussion and is going on at a lot of clubs. I would imagine at the Cobblers the silence would be on the whole respected, although many would be secretly questioning it's relevance - but at some grounds it will create a very unsavoury atmosphere. And for this reason mainly I don't think that football clubs should observe a silence. As many have said, there will be opportunities elsewhere for individuals to show the appropriate level of respect, should they wish.
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Artlenock Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 15:05:36 pm »

I don't agree with you here - I think that it is a relevant discussion and is going on at a lot of clubs. I would imagine at the Cobblers the silence would be on the whole respected, although many would be secretly questioning it's relevance - but at some grounds it will create a very unsavoury atmosphere. And for this reason mainly I don't think that football clubs should observe a silence. As many have said, there will be opportunities elsewhere for individuals to show the appropriate level of respect, should they wish.

And this is exactly where I stand on the matter. It's not a matter of politics, more a matter of how devisive and cringworthy it would be should some people choose to observe and others not.
Report Spam   Logged
Elad

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 15:17:20 pm »

A definite no. Not only would it encourage disorder but Thatcher had no affinity for the game whatsoever. I would advocate a minutes silence for British industry which she decimated.
Report Spam   Logged

If you are the big tree, we are the small axe. Ready to cut you down, to cut you down.
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 15:27:13 pm »

I say yes.
She loved following the cobblers and loved nothing more than a half time boiled ansell burger.
Seeing her singing some of the old cobblers chants while jostling in the hotelend during the 80s were some of my earliest memories supporting the cobblers Grin
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 15:45:35 pm »

I say yes.
She loved following the cobblers and loved nothing more than a half time boiled ansell burger.
Seeing her singing some of the old cobblers chants while jostling in the hotelend during the 80s were some of my earliest memories supporting the cobblers Grin

And don't forget she is also Jeema's Real Mum, a fact missed by all who have contributed to this thread.
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 15:48:01 pm »

Can we have her ashes to scatter on the pitch at half-time?
Report Spam   Logged
wrigleys

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 16:18:35 pm »

I say yes.

Your punctuation has come on in leaps and bounds Shoemaker! New keyboard?
Report Spam   Logged

Intravenous real ale at Sixfields. Make it happen
oop_north

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 16:41:31 pm »

I think a minute's silence on this board should suffice.
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 16:44:43 pm »

And don't forget she is also Jeema's Real Mum, a fact missed by all who have contributed to this thread.
Grin
Report Spam   Logged
DL2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 17:52:45 pm »

No ... from me, as someone who had enormous respect for her politics and her achievements nationally and internationally.
Report Spam   Logged
Baby Bear

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 17:56:18 pm »

Its down to Thatcher that football fans are still treated badly when travelling away. We are the only people in the country who can not have an alcholic drink on a coach , who are told by the police where we can and can not stop our own , paid for , coaches. Its time that these laws and other Thatcher ideals were re assessed. She didn't give a t*ss about football or any other things that concerned the working class , so thats a no from me !
You don't think, that the behaviour of the "football fans" in the 70's and 80's had anything to do with this then?
Rules are only ever put in place to stop problems. Quite often,Problems caused by the same people that then complain. If only the older generation hadn't been such idiots.....
Report Spam   Logged

@Babie_Bear_
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 17:56:56 pm »

I'm
Getting
The
Hang
Of
It
Wrigleys
 Grin
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 18:25:00 pm »

Fool!
It may still snow again. Save them for outside the ticket office.
Her contribution to making the game safe to play, might be the difference between automatic and the playoffs.
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 18:36:40 pm »

You don't think, that the behaviour of the "football fans" in the 70's and 80's had anything to do with this then?
Rules are only ever put in place to stop problems.
Those problems have been over for more than 20 years so the laws can be removed. You don't need laws that penalise law abiding citizens.
Report Spam   Logged
stevecobb

View Profile
Level 5 Windows User Combination
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 19:14:33 pm »

It would not look very good after a minutes silence for margaret thatcher  When  we all bust into a round of Fields of green which  is the same tune as the red flag, Labours  battle cry.
Report Spam   Logged
Whitedogdo

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 19:22:54 pm »

I say yes.
That is the funniest thing you've ever posted.

As an ex armed forces person who served during the Cold War, I thought Maggie was exceptional as a leader.
She split a nation.... And still does.
However, she was a political face not a football face.
She also did nothing about the cover up in the Hillsborough disaster and even slated the fans.
For these reasons.... And no other, we should not celebrate her life at NTFC.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2013, 19:41:53 pm »

............but you have jumped to the conclusion that those reasons are political.

Listen Mate - don't try to kid me; it aint hard to follow your drift.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Baby Bear

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 19:51:35 pm »

Those problems have been over for more than 20 years so the laws can be removed. You don't need laws that penalise law abiding citizens.
Not entirely accurate. But at least you realise the error of your original post.
Report Spam   Logged

@Babie_Bear_
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2013, 20:52:48 pm »

Bagged up and made available as cat litter might be a better option Evil
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2013, 21:43:12 pm »

No.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023