The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 14:41:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

'I wouldn't do anything differently'

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'I wouldn't do anything differently'  (Read 4705 times)
Artlenock Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2013, 22:01:24 pm »

This is pretty much how I feel too. Sitting there for 70 minutes with my head in my hands in horror/abject misery and the only thing penetrating the silence all around being some morons behind me swearing and shouting all match about how our support was fcuking shyte (they thought bayo was playing in the first half FFS) - that isn't something that is ever going to go away. It's on our permanent record. It wasn't Hartlepool away in the Autowindscreens, it wasn't just another game it was fcking Wembley and the scars not going to heel.

Whilst trying not to have too much of a downer on our Wembley experiences, in our 3 trips there we are yet to score from open play.  Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 07:09:30 am »

There is one aspect of our defending that worry's me is that we never seem to have anyone one either post.
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2013, 15:58:12 pm »

I too decided to go on holiday instead of to Wembley. Having been to every home game this season I used hindsight before the event.
Just feel desperately disappointed now but lets face it ...... It was predictable.
We either need to change the way we play or change the manager.
Yes lets get rid of the bloke who dragged us up from the bottom of the League and then failed to win automatic promotion the next season.Even Burton Albion had a better home record than us ,so thats only 90 clubs who were worse , I don't know why we are p*ssing about ,sack him !
Now who can we replace him with ? I know ,why don't we bring in that guy from Yeovil ? I'm sure he'll do a job for us
 Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
A view from the east

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013, 16:18:47 pm »

Yes lets get rid of the bloke who dragged us up from the bottom of the League and then failed to win automatic promotion the next season.Even Burton Albion had a better home record than us ,so thats only 90 clubs who were worse , I don't know why we are p*ssing about ,sack him !
Now who can we replace him with ? I know ,why don't we bring in that guy from Yeovil ? I'm sure he'll do a job for us
 Roll Eyes
So the awful away record , the unconvincing wins at home , Hoofball and the Wembley selection debacle and performance are all acceptable are they ?
" I wouldn't do anything differently " presumably means more of the same next season does it ?
I don't want him gone...... just want a plan B , that's all. Last season there wasn't one.
Report Spam   Logged
sxcobbler

Proudtobe.

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 16:33:41 pm »

So the awful away record , the unconvincing wins at home , Hoofball and the Wembley selection debacle and performance are all acceptable are they ?
" I wouldn't do anything differently " presumably means more of the same next season does it ?
I don't want him gone...... just want a plan B , that's all. Last season there wasn't one.

Even Stoke City have seen the light......I do wish ADB hadn't said the lead quote, virtually all the fans groaned when the team sheet was announced......and were proved right.....
Most fans will put up with dire hoof-football , but only if the team keeps scraping wins.
There were also far too many times away from home last season where we got hammered, odd for a team that made the play offs and was in pole position for automatic promotion.

I hope that he will lead the club to even greater success next season ....it will be interesting to see what players are signed ( more ex-ADB team - players maybe ). And Yes a Plan B would seem a reasonable request.

COYC.
Report Spam   Logged

Let's show some Ambition !
Elad

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2013, 16:51:40 pm »

Your forgetting how "hoofball" got a very unfashionable side into the Premier League and Europe and only 4 points behind sexy football Swansea.
Report Spam   Logged

If you are the big tree, we are the small axe. Ready to cut you down, to cut you down.
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2013, 17:44:51 pm »

Your forgetting how "hoofball" got a very unfashionable side into the Premier League and Europe and only 4 points behind sexy football Swansea.

The key word in the above post is "behind", does this prove that sexy football brings better rewards than hoofball?!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
guest47

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2013, 18:13:27 pm »

Whilst trying not to have too much of a downer on our Wembley experiences, in our 3 trips there we are yet to score from open play.  Embarrassed

Blimey, never thought of that. We haven't scored in 90 minutes ether.
Report Spam   Logged
Bunny
Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2013, 18:59:17 pm »

Bloody Aidy - couldn't even get the points deduction sorted for this season so now we start the next one with this hanging over our heads. Clearly he has to go now.

Christ on a bike, some people shouldn't be allowed internets.
Report Spam   Logged

Always a happy bunny
guest48

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2013, 19:43:24 pm »

Agreed the away record was poor ,the "unconvincing wins at home" , yes a few would fall into that catagory but there were also some very convincing wins  and even the unconvincing ones were a big improvement on last season ,2-7 anyone?
   Hoofball ? as stated on other threads the most hoofball teams at Sixfields this season were Bradford followed by Gillingham, in League 2 virtually all the teams that are successfull play direct football.
   I agree Wembley was completely unacceptable but I think 99% of our fans would have snapped your hand off if they had been offered a day out at Wembley ,before the first match at Rochdale.
   I'm pretty sure Aidy said "I wouldn't do anything different" on the spur of the moment and when he sat down and thought about it ,he would have done some things different.
    I think we played some really good football at times this season , we were also crap at times , BUT it was a vast improvement on the previous season and thats what you look to do ,get better each year. Not many managers do it but Aidy did and if he does it again next year ,we will be in for a successfull season.

Report Spam   Logged
cricketside

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2013, 19:50:59 pm »

Well, we were all a fucking sight happier 12 months ago, eh? What does that say about the ambition of the supporters?
Report Spam   Logged

"Andrew Ellis was very much against what was going on. The Cardozas were strictly about business and development so that was him out the door. Andrew Ellis was only ever a football man."

*****And he appointed Terry Fenwick*****
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2013, 19:55:50 pm »

Well, we were all a fucking sight happier 12 months ago, eh? What does that say about the ambition of the supporters?

Strange, but true Grin
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2013, 20:25:21 pm »

Firstly, I don't see anyone calling for Aidys head, its interpretation. I think saying 'change the way we play' or 'change the manager' is implying that evolvement needs to take place, otherwise we will struggle. I may be wrong but thats how I read it.

Lets not forget Ian Atkins for a moment. *using current league names, Atkins took us from bottom league 2, to 11th in his first season. Then promotion at Wembley in his second full season (ironically with a few less points than we earned this season) and then a final at Wembley in his 3rd full season. He was the messiah, a God. He could do no wrong. We all know though (with hindsight) that our success was built on sand, and once a few problems came up the wheels well and truly fell off.

Aidy has done a fantastic job in the most part, but those who witnessed away days at Barnet, Chesterfield and Rotherham...to name but a few...will have a slightly different version of events when looking back at 2012/13 season as a whole. Indeed, we were swept aside...well and truly...on about 8 occasions. Or to put it another way, the team didn't turn up. A pattern emerged from the early days...a few scrappy wins/draws followed by a hammering every 5 or 6 games.

BUT we are very much work in progress. Aidy has said that himself, the club have even said that today in their e-newsletter! His 2nd full season will be the one where either he significantly raises his stock or becomes type casted as a lower league football manager. There is no in-between. It will be his team...totally...playing football the way he had sold it to them during his recruitment. Aidy is an intelligent guy, Im sure (well very hopefully!) he will evolve our tactics accordingly. I must admit I am a concerned that he might be a bit stubborn...but that can work either way.

As for his statement, don't take it so literally. He did what he thought was right and picked a team to do a job. It didn't work. Leaving Bayo out was not even controversial in my opinion...he hadn't scored for months (open play). Hornby should have played though in my opinion, that said if 50 of us picked a side we would get around 40 different variations! Thats football. My only real annoyance at his selection policy this season was dumping Gutts for 2 months, I couldn't understand that all. And his seemingly* obvious tactic of hoof ball at times.

Lets see what next season brings first though. He hasn't got Calderwoods budget, he's got a tight purse to play with and that needs factoring in as well. When he took Watford up they had the lowest budget in the championship. I look at our squad now though and I reckon theres money to play with to bring in quality, and we will end up with better come August than ended this season. We got 73/74 points this time round...add another 2 or 3 wins to that and automatic promotion is very likely.

Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2013, 21:00:17 pm »

My only real annoyance at his selection policy this season was dumping Gutts for 2 months, I couldn't understand that all. And his seemingly* obvious tactic of hoof ball at times.

I would add to that:
Persisting with the Platt/Nicholls partnership at the start of the season for far to long when it clearly wasn't working.
Partnering Tozer & Harding in central midfield,
Persisting with Demontagnac who was truly awful all season, zero end product,
Last but not least the playoff final team selection
Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2013, 12:26:23 pm »

AB has done an amazing job and we are all grateful to him for that and am sure we all want him to push on again next season. That said we are all never going to agree with everything he does but questioning it does not mean we want him to go. I am still gobsmacked by the Wembley team and although I am glad we lost to a better team rather than a dodgy penalty etc I just can't shake the what if feeling (mostly surrounding Bayo and Platt) hearing the noise levels in the Bradford end with 10 mins left all I could think was 'if only'. So AB got it horribly wrong at Wembley in my opinion but am sure he will get most things right next season.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2013, 12:53:25 pm »

What did ADB do wrong apart from selecting Platt instead of Bayo, if the majority of pre match team selections on here are to be taken as a consensus?
Our problem wasn't just up front, it was all over the park because Bradford played better than us and on the day deserved to win.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: