The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 14:24:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

It's all about Coventry.....

Poll
Question: Are you for or against sharing Sixfields with Coventry?  (Voting closed: July 10, 2013, 22:11:52 pm)
For - 43 (36.8%)
Against - 49 (41.9%)
Undecided - 25 (21.4%)
Total Voters: 104

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 74   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's all about Coventry.....  (Read 85753 times)
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2013, 23:19:07 pm »

I'm against it, firstly because the pitch was terrible last season with 23 league games being played (+ playoff & any cup games) and doubling that figure would make it even worse.

Secondly, a large part of Cov's administration issues have been paying rent for the stadium, so we'd better have gotten most/all up front. Still, given they were paying £1.2m a year for the Ricoh Arena if we're getting even 20% of that then that's a nice earner.

Thirdly, I don't think its right that a club is playing well over 30 miles from their home City, even if it is only temporary, three years (probably longer) is a fairly long period of time in the football world, and whilst SISU are still owners I doubt many fans will forgive them. Not a Cobblers related point, but I do feel for them.

I'll be interested to see who gets the higher attendances next season...

This point in particular is the worrying one. Coventry have been offered a rent free season at the Ricoh. So why move?
And finally, of course, is the fact that Coventry fans (unsurprisingly) seem to be massively against coming here. This should/must be taken into account.

One further aside, and It is not too much of a stretch to imagine this scenario. Coventry move into Sixfields, and over the course of the next three/four/five years they gain new backers. This allows them to progress on the pitch and to reach the championship, maybe with a view to pushing on further once their new ground is built.
Meanwhile, the Cobblers have continued to wallow in League 2, and so all the towns up and coming young footie fans have opted to go and watch City play.
These now 'diehard' City fans will continue to follow the Sky Blues when they eventually leave Northampton to head home.
Will the ground share then be seen as having been good for us?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 23:35:09 pm by JollyCobbler » Report Spam   Logged
fwalden

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2013, 23:30:28 pm »

It's all a bit weird, and especially considering the timing. As you say, Coventry have basically been offered free use of the Ricoh, so why then look to move away from the borough?
I don't much like this at all. Mind you, neither will the egg chasers when they are trying to get out after a game... so I guess every cloud does have a silver lining Grin

Clearly getting away from the rioch will free up some tax loophole to allow them to claw back some income, albeit small, from gate receipts. If they stayed at the rioch, granted its free but they'll get fxxx all from revenue which just goes into their growing black hole. It'll be interesting to know how much we stake to get from it finacially.
Report Spam   Logged

Frederick Ingram "Fanny" Walden (1 March 1888 – 3 May 1949) was an English professional footballer who played on the right-wing for Northampton Town, Tottenham Hotspur and at international level for England during the 1910s and 1920s.
SeanODonovan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2013, 01:13:27 am »

Article in the Coventry Telegraph. It says the first Coventry game will be Sat 10th August v Bristol City. Sorry lads but we are playing the mighty Newport that so your game is on Sunday 11st August.

They illustrate the story with a picture of the South Stand making Sixfields look smaller than usual.

Mainly negative comments including "I bet Otium's officials will soon feel lonely being the only people in the stadium and how long will Northampton allow that to go on"

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/exclusive-coventry-city-agree-groundshare-4866094
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2013, 05:16:41 am »

Kettering fans wouldnt move inter-county. Amazed if this ends up helping Coventry.
Report Spam   Logged
cobblersareus

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2013, 06:00:44 am »

What about fixture clashes next season? I bought my season ticket because I can make Saturday matches, If some are moved I may have to think again.
Report Spam   Logged
Montgomery Eypoke III

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2013, 06:14:54 am »

It's all a bit weird, and especially considering the timing. As you say, Coventry have basically been offered free use of the Ricoh, so why then look to move away from the borough?
I don't much like this at all. Mind you, neither will the egg chasers when they are trying to get out after a game... so I guess every cloud does have a silver lining Grin

My understanding from the few bits read on here is that the Cov owners are trying to set up a COmpany Voluntary Agreement which will stuff the council owned company that runs the Ricoh and whom the club owe a considerable sum to.

Obviously the council / stadium company don't want this CVA to happen and I believe they can challenge it. They want the club to stay in administration and a condition of the rent free offer was that the club do stay in administration. Hence why they want to move.

They are also playing a massive game of bluff presumably by threatening to leave the council with a great big football stadium but no team to play in it. Have we just become a pawn in this game?

(Now I will allow others, who actually know what they are talking about to correct the errors in that)
Report Spam   Logged
guest170

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2013, 06:22:49 am »

Undecided.
Good business for NTFC but don't think it's right for CCFC or football in general
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2013, 06:44:39 am »

I do feel for the cov fans as they have always been a decent bunch of proper football supporters and I can see why they don't want to travel but in the long run I think by not doing so it will speed up the sad demise of their club.

If they choose not to travel(which is of course their choice) then I doubt they will exist in 3 years.
Maybe this has got to a point where both the owners and fans are ready to accept this.

It seems odd that you'd give up but I guess they've been through hell of a lot.
I'm happy for them to groundshare if in some small way it helps keep their club alive.
However the majority of cov fans don't want it and seem ready to throw in the towel.
I see on their forum they are asking the cobbs fans for solidarity with their boycott but by doing so I don't know if I'm helping make a stand or just speeding up the winding up of their football club.
To me it seems they have little option but to play here because as fans they don't have a say(which is wrong).
Surely it's better to swallow your pride than see the club go under though.
I remember sitting excitedly as a lad watching Keith houchen score a wonder goal to win the fa cup for cov and dreamt maybe one day it could be the cobblers doing that.
I'd have never thought then that we would have reached where we are today.
Don't give up cov fans because us cobbs fans support you it's just that like you there's not a lot we can do as who will listen.
Don't think bad of us as we're a decent bunch who hope you can survive.
Report Spam   Logged
Simple_simon

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2013, 07:21:44 am »

City fan in peace.
Interesting to hear all your views.
Our plight is going to get a great deal worse as 98% of fans will not be going to home games away.
Some of us are still going to away games but a lot have given up the fight. Othere are angry, some feel hurt and let down.
Is that big hill still there, that over looks the pitch?
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2013, 07:27:44 am »

This point in particular is the worrying one. Coventry have been offered a rent free season at the Ricoh. So why move?
And finally, of course, is the fact that Coventry fans (unsurprisingly) seem to be massively against coming here. This should/must be taken into account.

One further aside, and It is not too much of a stretch to imagine this scenario. Coventry move into Sixfields, and over the course of the next three/four/five years they gain new backers. This allows them to progress on the pitch and to reach the championship, maybe with a view to pushing on further once their new ground is built.
Meanwhile, the Cobblers have continued to wallow in League 2, and so all the towns up and coming young footie fans have opted to go and watch City play.
These now 'diehard' City fans will continue to follow the Sky Blues when they eventually leave Northampton to head home.
Will the ground share then be seen as having been good for us?

They have only been offered the Ricoh rent free whilst they are in administration.they cannot stay in that process for long as that prevents them signing new players and the football league will not sanction their fixtures unless their is a clear exit route. See Portsmouth last season.
Report Spam   Logged
Simple_simon

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2013, 07:31:31 am »

Hi Cobblers
I live in Daventry and been to a couple of your games, but on here to read your views regarding our so called ground share with you.
Our plight is a real mess and vast majority will not travel to watch us at home away in Northampton. The very few who might also want our Hedge fund owners to leave but still feel they have to try and watch the team.
Please be aware its nothing against Northampton Town, we know your a decent lot.
We have a something set up in Coventry called  "Not one penny more" which is trying to make sure we do not buy any tickets to home games, no shirts, no season tickets nothing that will help the club.  Its very hard for a lot of us but we are are a club thats going through a long drawn out death. As of today we have not yet sold one season ticket, but that might change now we are at your ground.

Not worth discussing the politics, but I can assure you we will be in Div 2 next season but we all wish you well and hope you have a decent pitch.

S
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 07:34:31 am by Simple_simon » Report Spam   Logged
Sky Blues

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2013, 07:42:45 am »

Alright Cobblers,

As you might guess from my user name I'm a Coventry fan. I'm not going to bore you with the horrible details of the mess that is our club but suffice to say it feels like we have spent more time learning accountancy and the intricacies of the English legal system etc than discussing football in the last year. If I was a Cobbler I would be worried about these reports of a ground share unless I wanted to spend sometime learning the same sort of details. In my opinion Sisu are sharks so when thinking about this idea please think carefully about whether you'd want your club to swim with sharks.

If any of you are masochists and are interested in how our once proud club got into this mess, this blog and this post in particular are a good starting point: http://aprisonofmeasuredtime.wordpress.com/2013/04/29/coventry-city-and-sisu-capital-60-million-in-debt/

Finally, many of us fear this attempt to move the club out of Coventry could have implications for all the other league clubs. Would you be happy following Northampton outside of Northampton for homes games if 98 per cent of your fans didn't want it? If your answer is no, please make your views known on this idea to your board and the Football League.

Cheers,
Sky Blues
Report Spam   Logged
shoe22

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2013, 07:49:29 am »

I think your troubles are fairly well documented and most footie fans will sympathize with the sky blues fans. I for one would be happy to see you at sixfields and will go see a fair few of your games.
Hopefully the pitch will be up to it and i'm sure those that know about these things have thought this through fully, so i'll go with their judgement.
Good luck for the future.
Report Spam   Logged
Jgill1976

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2013, 07:54:00 am »

Hi Cobblers
I live in Daventry and been to a couple of your games, but on here to read your views regarding our so called ground share with you.
Our plight is a real mess and vast majority will not travel to watch us at home away in Northampton. The very few who might also want our Hedge fund owners to leave but still feel they have to try and watch the team.
Please be aware its nothing against Northampton Town, we know your a decent lot.
We have a something set up in Coventry called  "Not one penny more" which is trying to make sure we do not buy any tickets to home games, no shirts, no season tickets nothing that will help the club.  Its very hard for a lot of us but we are are a club thats going through a long drawn out death. As of today we have not yet sold one season ticket, but that might change now we are at your ground.

Not worth discussing the politics, but I can assure you we will be in Div 2 next season but we all wish you well and hope you have a decent pitch.

S
errrm more bad news, about the pitch......
Report Spam   Logged
covcobbler

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2013, 07:54:10 am »

I'm against this ground share mainly because the pitch will not be able to cope with all the games being played on it and I don't see it being worth the amount of money that we might get if the new Cov owners pay us.

I think the only reason that the owners have decided to do this is so that they can make the current owners of the Ricoh arena go bust then they can buy the ground for a cut price but only time will tell I guess
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2013, 07:55:43 am »

What goes around, comes around...Coventry can rot in hell.
Report Spam   Logged
Trotty

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2013, 07:57:42 am »

Got to say I do feel for sky blues. I know if the roles were reversed, and thinking about the many years I followed the club through thick and thin, I would be devastated.
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2013, 07:59:00 am »

Having Coventry plough the pitch up every other week will suit ADB's tactics down to the ground.
Report Spam   Logged
MK_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2013, 07:59:54 am »

Im all for it providing it lands us a few pounds.

I can’t see the pitch being massively affected, we rarely use it anyway.

How do clubs that share with rugby teams cope?
Report Spam   Logged
Simple_simon

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2013, 08:00:29 am »

It might sound bad but we do not want anyone to go to our games at Northampton. We need to starve our owners out.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 74   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: