The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 12:23:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Aidy's stubborn streak

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aidy's stubborn streak  (Read 4802 times)
Insider

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2013, 14:38:24 pm »

It would depend on how he performed. We win more games with Platt than we do without him so my initial reaction to such a move would be very positive.

Hmmm, the stats are a bit mixed in this regard: when Platt started at Sixfields we generally won the game.  When Platt started away from home we generally lost.  If he came on as sub home or away he had little or no impact, though admittedly he typically came on with 10-12 minutes left.  That suggests to me that Platt is not the man to play a lone target role away from home or to come on and make an impact.  But at home, perhaps because then he plays in a front two, the outcome supports his inclusion (and I am no Platt fan). 

Another interesting stat: in the last 10 seasons, only Swindon Town won more home games than us (19 vs our 17). 
If winning all one's games at home and drawing away is a strategy, on the assumption that we were to win max 19 games, drawing all our away games would only have seen us promoted automatically twice in the last 10 years.  That strategy was a cast iron certainty in the days of 2 points for a home win, but not with 3 points for a win.  Incredibly MK Dons in 2007/8 won only 11 games at home but won an amazing 18 games away from home and were promoted at a canter.
Report Spam   Logged
brickowski

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2013, 15:15:33 pm »

Interesting stuff. The bit about him doing better in a 2 would certainly add weight to the theory that he's an unselfish link player who generates a lot of chances for his strike partner and those around him.
Report Spam   Logged

there's only one Robbie Curtis
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2013, 15:59:33 pm »

Hmmm, the stats are a bit mixed in this regard: when Platt started at Sixfields we generally won the game.  When Platt started away from home we generally lost. 

Which player do we currently have where that stat doesn't apply?
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2013, 17:56:06 pm »

Everbrite

As paying fans we surely have right to express an opinion?

I will be eternally grateful to Aidy from saving the club from oblivion but to state we don't need a new striker when its clear Roy needed support clearly smacks of stubbornness.

Nobody least of all me, denies anybody the right to post a message but I am afraid you continually posted "ad nauseam" negative messages almost on a daily basis. I suppose you could be termed stubborn with the persistent negative element portrayed in your posts. Just a few messages would have done as people on here would get your "drift" pretty quick. You should know as well as I do that trying to sign potentially injury prone strikers is very expensive; as it is AB may have unearthed a gem. Ok there is spilt milk on the striker saga but maybe patience is a virtue.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2013, 18:23:31 pm »

Is it his stubborn streak that prevents us from starting any match in any other way than booting the ball straight to touch?
Did it saturday, and hardly had it back for the next twenty minutes.
I had hoped with new more skilled players, we may have changed and tried to retain the ball.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2013, 18:52:57 pm »

Is it his stubborn streak that prevents us from starting any match in any other way than booting the ball straight to touch?
Did it saturday, and hardly had it back for the next twenty minutes.
I had hoped with new more skilled players, we may have changed and tried to retain the ball.
I lost count of the times Newport keeper did that!. York keeper did the same but at least he was reasonably accurate. OK we should be (like) Real Madrid Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2013, 19:28:15 pm »

Blyth may well turn out to be a gem. I really, really hope he does. But he'll not be ours will he? Ironically, the better he plays, the less chance we'd ever have of signing him permanently so IMHO, he's a stop gap signing. I'd go so far as to say a pretty desperate one too. I could be wrong but I doubt AB had an extensive dossier on him and even if he had, he couldn't seriously claim Blyth to be his saviour 15/20 goal striker, the lad hadn't scored a senior goal until Saturday.

The cynic in me could suggest that the delay in signing a striker was AB working from Man Utd down, calling every manager to see what youngster we could get on loan. After 25 or so calls, he called Leicester and they offered us Blyth. On the basis of available league statistics, Blyth is only marginally more experienced than Hooper, a player AB rates as one for the future. Difference is I guess, Blyth took his chance better.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he plays like Saturday every game and we can get him for three months, to Xmas or beyond. I don't think though that it necessarily dispells any of the misgivings that plenty seem to have about our pre-season dealings (or lack of in terms of strikers) although if Blyth does maintain such form, we could possibly dub AB lucky as opposed to stubborn! Wink
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2013, 19:36:34 pm »

I lost count of the times Newport keeper did that!. York keeper did the same but at least he was reasonably accurate. OK we should be (like) Real Madrid Roll Eyes
Their keeper kicked off?
Must have missed that.
Report Spam   Logged
MKMal

View Profile
Mobile User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 05:48:06 am »

But he'll not be ours will he? Ironically, the better he plays, the less chance we'd ever have of signing him permanently so IMHO, he's a stop gap signing. I'd go so far as to say a pretty desperate one too. I could be wrong but I doubt AB had an extensive dossier on him

I wonder if Bournemouth thought that when they signed an unknown West Ham kid called Jermaine Defoe who scored 18 goals in his loan season.
Report Spam   Logged
Montgomery Eypoke III

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2013, 07:50:37 am »

I wonder if Bournemouth thought that when they signed an unknown West Ham kid called Jermaine Defoe who scored 18 goals in his loan season.

It was about fifteen years ago now. Still everybody's favourite citation for a successful loan spell though.
Report Spam   Logged
Montgomery Eypoke III

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2013, 07:56:45 am »

Another interesting stat: in the last 10 seasons, only Swindon Town won more home games than us (19 vs our 17). 
If winning all one's games at home and drawing away is a strategy, on the assumption that we were to win max 19 games, drawing all our away games would only have seen us promoted automatically twice in the last 10 years.  That strategy was a cast iron certainty in the days of 2 points for a home win, but not with 3 points for a win.  Incredibly MK Dons in 2007/8 won only 11 games at home but won an amazing 18 games away from home and were promoted at a canter.

It works on the basis of averaging things out. You can't say the most anyone has won at home is 19, give us a point for every away game then put down a defeat for everything else and say it doesn't work.

Much as you've ended up not winning every single home game, you will win (and lose) some away to make up the difference.

The principle is to average close to 2 points a game. See how many teams have been promoted in the last ten years with 92 points or more.
Report Spam   Logged
Claretjug

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2013, 09:56:29 am »

All I can say is that the game I watched was certainly more enjoyable than most of last seasons wins. At least we tried to play more football although it did mean we let the opposition have more chances. I am sure Aidy will try to correct this, hopefully not to hoof ball.
With Hacket, Platt, Langers and Hornby to come back we are definitely stronger than last season so I'm convinced with specific loans when needed we will be there of thereabouts.
Does anyone know the word on the injured players ?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2013, 10:30:47 am »

Their keeper kicked off?
Must have missed that.

Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

lordjord

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2013, 10:32:14 am »

Hackett and Platt could both be on the bench for Southend. Hornby 2 weeks away, Langers 6 weeks away.
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2013, 20:01:00 pm »

The not insignificant difference being we don't have Blyth on a season long. He's probably not going to be a Defoe either. Is he? Wink
Report Spam   Logged
MKMal

View Profile
Mobile User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2013, 09:48:06 am »

The not insignificant difference being we don't have Blyth on a season long. He's probably not going to be a Defoe either. Is he? Wink

The length of the loan is irrelevant. He was an unknown kid on loan.

The point I am trying to make is that I am sure all the moaners on here would have slated Defoe before he had kicked a ball and said where is our 20 goal a season striker and he's not ours without giving him a chance.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: