The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 03:49:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Newport Match Thread

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newport Match Thread  (Read 6657 times)
Clint

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 15:57:35 pm »

Well done everyone!
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 15:58:24 pm »

3-1 FT great result sounded like we were under the kosh a bit. Took our chances well and what a difference a win makes..Onward and upward.

EIEIEIO
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
TbananaG

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 16:27:04 pm »

I thought Newport looked like the over-excited new boys they are and we just looked very professional. Sure, they had a lot of the ball and a lot of energy but we were composed.
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 16:37:21 pm »

What a weird game - it could have been 6-1 to them in the first 12 minutes, but for some fantastic saves by Duke and porr finishing by them.  We all thought we were on for a hiding but just before we scored I said that starnger things have happened... and they did.    We had a great 15-20 minute spell when Deegan and Emerton were at the centre of all things good supported by Carter in the holding midfield position, and RODs lively running off the ball.  Second half we seemed to go right back into our shells and they again had a hatful of chances, but we scored with our first shot of the half; it's a funny old game.  Our defence has to be a big worry especially when we're attacked down the wings, but Duke is as solid a goalie as we've had since Bunn and he was my MoTM.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 16:45:16 pm »

It was a bit weird. I thought we were really poor again for the first 15 minutes or so but once we went ahead we looked comfortable (although Duke was still kept busy at times).

A much better performance than the last two though, so fingers crossed today was a truer reflection of where we're at than those first two seemed to suggest. I'm a lot happier than I was this time last week, that's for sure and more due to the performance than the result!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 16:45:39 pm »

Hurrah!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
the grumpy old man

View Profile
Signature 1000 Posts Combination
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2013, 16:58:18 pm »

I agree it was a very weird game. We could have been about 4 down but thanks to Duke we weren't then suddenly found ourselves 2-0 up. Thought Blyth had a good game, on the evidence of this one performance it would be good to keep him for the season.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End Grand National sweepstake winner 2024
Carlo Corazzins Corduroy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 17:26:32 pm »

Genuinely hope those two assists from Morris will shut a lot of people up now, despite him not 'running about enough'.

We were fortunate today but pretty potent upfront which is hugely reassuring. Tozer isn't going to last at CB, and as soon as Langers is back we should become more defensively competent. Still not impressed with Deegan despite his goal, his first touch is a hoof toward the wings and doesn't get involved enough. Blyth looked superb and we should definitely look to get him for the season now.
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2013, 17:42:52 pm »

Tozer is an enigma: he made a superb blocking tackle in the penalty area in the second half and was at times commanding in the air, but equally he was guilty of drifting out into the full back position and not stepping forward with the rest of the defensive line allowing Newport to be onside.  And in the first 15-20 mins all our problems were down their wings and behind our full backs.  When they played through the middle, Collins and Tozer dealt with most of it.  And I don't agree about Deegan - it was his picking the ball up in midfield, running with it and then laying out to Morris that led to our first; Morris had a better game, but still got knocked off the ball a little too easily for a tall lad.
Report Spam   Logged
New Dawn Fades

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2013, 18:02:55 pm »

The midfield today was a marked improvement on the shower that was at York.
Some tidy crisp passing at times mixed in with long balls round the corner to willing runners.
Solid debut for Blyth.
An odd game, took our chances and made them pay. Duke exceptional again
Report Spam   Logged

Can of Strongbow, Im a mess
ChristianSeeney

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2013, 18:26:01 pm »

Looks like Duke is an unreal signing for us but by the sounds of things, a lot of improvements are needed despite the result.
Report Spam   Logged
Jgill1976

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2013, 19:10:19 pm »

Looks like Duke is an unreal signing for us but by the sounds of things, a lot of improvements are needed despite the result.

Think he is on a fairly handsome clean sheet bonus aswell judging by his reaction to the goal we conceded.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2013, 19:13:51 pm »

I had to go to Bedford today, so I missed this game, didn't hear anything untill I got home, I think I should travel to Bedford more often on match day's!!!! Well done all.
Report Spam   Logged
Biscuit

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2013, 19:15:31 pm »

A good win even if not the best of performances.

Duke was fantastic, kept us in the game single-handedly in the first 20 minutes or so. Widdowson and Amanwaah were steady, caught out early on but they weren't the only ones. Widds did well supporting Morris at times. Collins and Tozer did OK up against Zebroski and Jolley who look like they will cause a few problems this season (need to work on their finishing though!).

Emerton was as willing as ever and again provided a few bright sparks. Morris did well and he seemed to play wider than he has done in any of the previous games and I didn't notice him drifting in as much. Super cross for the first goal. Carter and Deegan were over-run in the first half an hour but once we started getting ourselves on the ball they did start to look a little more composed, a few nice touches here and there. Deegan took his goal well.

ROD and Blyth both played well, the latter in particular really impressed me. Won more than his fair share of 50/50's and linked up well with ROD considering it was their first game together. Only had to attempts on goal and he took one of them. It makes such a difference to have some physicality up front alongside Roy, who ran his socks off again and got his rewards with a superb goal after a good pass from Morris. If he works this hard all season and has a target man as capable as Blyth alongside him then I can see Roy getting around the 20 goal mark.

Although this wasn't the perfect performance it's a good win against a good Newport side who will certainly cause a lot of teams problems this season.    
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2013, 19:32:44 pm »

Well I'd relegated us after 10 minutes!  Grin

Duke was amazing, but as others have said there were plenty of positives to come out of a match where on another day the scoreline could easily have been reversed. I thought Aidys comments in his interview were spot on on all counts as well.

Im happy tonight but we have a long way to go. Without Blythes presence we would have lost again for sure. Aidy should straight away tie him on a deal to Christmas if he can or at least 3 months. He's work in progress but far better than our other options as things stand.
Report Spam   Logged
sixfields starling

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2013, 20:01:51 pm »

After a shaky start and excellent stops from Duke once again,thought we had a lovely 25 min spell where we played some lovely football ,scoring two good goals. Second half they came at us early on ,but we weathered the storm scoring another good goal. To be honest didn't think we would get a result today, so well done lads, a good performance,yes we rode our luck at times ,but there was a lot more promise today with the midfield playing some nice football at times and the front two working well together. Good to see.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2013, 20:13:08 pm »

What a difference a goal (or two) makes. We were under the cosh for the first 20 minutes but those two quick goals knocked the stuffing out of Newport. Some good performances and although I like the new passing play style the defence ought to know when to get rid. The silly tippy tappy at the death of the first half could have allowed Newport back in the game. I loved the cameo from Ishy, wanting to fight anything that moved.
Report Spam   Logged
Jgill1976

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2013, 21:12:23 pm »

Aide spoke after the game about the need for the team to get to know each other, I felt early doors that the defence pushed up a little too far which is fine but the midfield have got to close down quicker if they want to defend that high as the ball goes over the top and we was running towards our own goal all to often I was quite shocked a Carter who looked almost lethargic after kick off. But they all grew into the game nicely.
The turning point for me was when Amkwaah did Jolley in a couple of lovely tackles and we grew in confidence from them.
Great game of football.
Report Spam   Logged
A view from the east

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2013, 22:42:59 pm »

Said after Tuesday's game that I felt more optimistic and today proved the point. Another improvement albeit in patches.
Newport will turn over a number of sides in L2 this year and we did well to weather their storm and keep them out. Duke was simply superb again and is proving to be an inspired signing and despite the back four looking green at times they did well enough once we went ahead to contain the threat. ( thought Ben Tozer did ok as well )
For me the midfield is becoming an advance on last year too. Carter looked calm and assured , Morris improved again and Deegan is the terrier type that we missed when Gutts was out of favour last term. Emerson threatened with the ball although he does look a bit lightweight and will probably lose his place when Hackett is fit.
Blythe and RoD upfront looked good as well and both showed class with their goals.
AB said after the game that this team are nowhere near their potential and really most of those who went today would have to agree. Personally I think there is more to come and my optimism grows.
Today was a good game of football , we won , the sun shone and the Black Sheep was very good. Onwards and Upwards !
Report Spam   Logged
MCHammer

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Apple User
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2013, 22:43:57 pm »

I know it's a fairly obvious statement but its so a results not performance game. Even though I know we were very fortunate at times today I still came out feeling pretty positive. I've seen us play better and lose.

Positives were definitely Duke, The Leicester lad and ROD.  I think we've got the makings of a reasonable side but I'm still concerned about the fragile nature of our squad. Lot of young players that Aidy clearly doesn't feel are ready.  Couple of players that just won't play much football this season but probably cost a lot of money.

Generally though early days too early to jump to any conclusions as most from last week and this should learn.  Lets see where we are in a month or so when people have properly settled in.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: