The Hotel End
April 16, 2024, 22:46:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Southend

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Southend  (Read 6453 times)
bungle

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2013, 15:50:09 pm »

It was his choice to start Hackett. He's been out for weeks.

Who would you have gone for?
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2013, 15:52:10 pm »

Ivan Toney is struggling badly after a collision with the keeper.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2013, 15:55:37 pm »

Full time 2-0 Southend. How different things could have been.

Oh well, at least we are home next week   Tongue  Roll Eyes Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2013, 15:58:21 pm »

I reckon about 95% of us knew we'd lose today.

I was one of those. Maybe someone that went can judge the red card. I'm not that disappointed really.

Home next week so we'll win.
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2013, 15:59:25 pm »

Who would you have gone for?
Someone that hasn't been out for weeks. Anyone knows you bring a player back in gradually.
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
bungle

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2013, 16:04:24 pm »

Someone that hasn't been out for weeks. Anyone knows you bring a player back in gradually.

Ok, name that 'someone'. The only option I can think of is Demon, who may well have got sent off himself. I've no doubt that  had Morris been fit then Hackett would have started on the bench.

Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2013, 16:15:35 pm »

I'm off to Mexico Monday..Cancun. How is it down there?

Fine now, arrived Thursday, lots of rain thurs and Fri, but woke to blue skies and sunshine today, bit breezy but apart from that it's excellent!! Enjoy your time here!!
Saw a bloke wandering round our hotel in a Torquay shirt, hope he's still here next Saturday!! ;-)
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
TbananaG

« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2013, 17:00:19 pm »

Maybe someone that went can judge the red card. I'm not that disappointed really.

The first 20 mins looked like a race to the first red for both sides: looked like two yellows to me for Hackett - can't argue, and ADB made a big point of not acknowledging him as he came off.
Report Spam   Logged
Gazman

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2013, 17:15:30 pm »

I think 20 minutes of play time followed by a week off is quite gradual
  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Elad

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2013, 18:53:03 pm »

Ref lost the plot today with all his cards. Our squad is just too thin for an crack at promotion. Think we'll be just under mid table and I can live with that.
Report Spam   Logged

If you are the big tree, we are the small axe. Ready to cut you down, to cut you down.
A view from the east

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2013, 19:03:23 pm »

Our squad is just too thin for an crack at promotion. Think we'll be just under mid table and I can live with that.
Its a shame but I think you're about right Elad.
Looking at the bench today told its own tale.
Report Spam   Logged
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2013, 19:25:59 pm »

Hold on, we've got a top 7 budget guys!
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2013, 19:36:08 pm »

Think we'll be just under mid table and I can live with that.

So if that was to happen then what would that actually mean going forward? It's not a loaded question, just that any club losing out on promotion by one game should have higher expectations the following season.
If we were to finish below mid table, we would most likely have a new squad again next season, which would have to 'gel' again, finishing mid table again etc.
Is this how low our expectations need to be?
Not a pop at you or anyone but sad when we are thinking like this, which I guess isn't surprising after all these years.

I can see us replicating last season. Having a fortress at home, cr*p away and losing 3 v 0 to Newport in the final in front of 15,000 miserable Cobblers fans.

It's all about fine margins though and if the pen had gone in it may have turned out totally differently today.
Report Spam   Logged
fwalden

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2013, 20:59:09 pm »

I hate results like this. Miss a penalty after 7 minutes and then down to 10 men 20 mins in. Games over.

I don't think we can read too much into this result. Roy puts the pen away, confidence begins to exude out, maybe just maybe as a result of that, Chris doesn't go in as hard for that second challenge and we end up winning the game. It just shows what fine margins there are but again I don't think we all need to measuring our length of hanging rope just yet.
Report Spam   Logged

Frederick Ingram "Fanny" Walden (1 March 1888 – 3 May 1949) was an English professional footballer who played on the right-wing for Northampton Town, Tottenham Hotspur and at international level for England during the 1910s and 1920s.
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2013, 21:14:37 pm »

Its all going to be ok, Aidy says the away form is not too much of a problem ,so all is rosey. Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2013, 10:58:54 am »

I watched the cricket down the pub...good choice!

I decided against going to Southend after going to York. As frustrating as it is to do, we must forget about yesterday. We played a team who had won both of their opening matches, we were away from home...we missed a penalty at 0-0 and then had to play with 10 men for 70 minutes.

My view hasn't changed because of yesterday, and it didn't change after we won last Saturday. I think we will finish bottom 8. Our first choice X1 is good, our 12th-18th best players are no where near good enough. As soon as we have a handful of injuries we look very exposed across the team, particularly in defence and up front. I would say we are 4 good players away from having a squad capable of challenging for a play off play.

There is still time to rectify that, and by the end of the month if we have I will change my outlook. I do not understand though how anyone can look at our current squad and say its better than it was in May!!
Report Spam   Logged
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2013, 12:11:16 pm »

Well Aidy does!
Report Spam   Logged
auntie chops

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2013, 12:40:11 pm »

I think we will finish bottom 8.

Really? Are you still on the gin?  I've just written some depressing s*** for the fanzine but it was more Morrissey than Nick Cave. Bloody 'ell.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2013, 12:45:44 pm »

I think we will finish bottom 8. Our first choice X1 is good, our 12th-18th best players are no where near good enough. As soon as we have a handful of injuries we look very exposed across the team, particularly in defence and up front. I would say we are 4 good players away from having a squad capable of challenging for a play off play.

I agree to a certain extent, although I think bottom 8 is a little pessimistic. The fact that Hackett was thrown straight in to a tough away game after missing out completely on pre-season is certainly indicative of the lack of depth in the squad. The fact that AB went for him over Demontagnac speaks volumes over his faith in the other options available. In hindsight it was mistake to start him, but you can't blame AB for failing to legislate for a missed penalty and some reckless tackling from one of our most experienced players

Having said that, we have suffered more than most from injuries to key players and we will be a much more competitive outfit when Langmead, Hornby and hopefully Nicholls get back.

Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2013, 15:47:23 pm »

To be honest I more or less forgot we were playing.

Well done to Northants, by the way.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: