The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 22:32:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Lesscombe (H) 28-09-13

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lesscombe (H) 28-09-13  (Read 11419 times)
bungle

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2013, 11:16:15 am »

Believe it or not Aidy is the 20th longest serving manager out of the 92...and he's not even been here for 2 years yet! Only 7 of those 20 have managed to get to 3 years as well.

The point I'm making is that football fans are no different anywhere else! We all want instant success and we all think that our own logic is more than the incumbents making the decisions.

The problem is that his decision making, as you suggest, has gone from eminently sensible (with a few notable exceptions - step forward Mr Platt) to absolutely nuts in the space of one summer and one admittedly embarrassing Wembley defeat. I can't think of many managers we've had who have gone from hero to zero so quickly. If, for example, he had signed Rene Howe, kept Gutts, Cameron and Moult and we'd still ended up struggling, I would have been far less critical because I would have at least understood the logic behind his decision making.

As it is, the most frustrating thing about our dreadful start is how predictable it all was. 95% of us knew once we'd signed Morris and Carter, started messing about with non-contract centre backs (Heath) and failed to replace Bayo that we'd be in for  a struggle.

Will he go back to making decent decisions? Is he stubborn enough to admit his mistakes (at least implicitly by dropping the likes of Carter)? Time will tell. The signings of Reid and Doumbe are steps in the right direction; one or both should have been brought in for pre-season.

Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2013, 11:26:57 am »

I just can't see what he's trying to achieve now. Has the style of football changed like he said he wanted it to?
All we now seem to be as a club is a rescue centre for players who have ended up on the soccer scrap heap. At least that means that AB won't lose the dressing room, he's got so many in there now that have to be grateful for their weekly wages as it would appear they wouldn't be able to make a living with any other clubs!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:46:13 am by GrangeParkCobbler » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Bertie

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #222 on: September 29, 2013, 11:33:00 am »

Just couldn't see us scoring yesterday, though Toney was only inches away from RODs cross late on - just before he got substituted.
Defence looks much sounder - wth Reid and Doumbe solid - mostly.
Carter and Morris didn't really achieve a lot, and midfield looked better with Tozer on!
Morecombe dished out plenty - but went down quicker than Gillian T******h at every opportunity, but that doesn't excuse ROD for being a complete t*t and getting a yellow that could easily have been red. Bizarre refereeing on three occasions after feigned injuries - it seemed Morecombe got the advantage every time.
Going to be a long season - even tepted to go and see free scoring Cov this afternoon!
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 29, 2013, 11:36:33 am »

With Bungle on his comments above.  I am not calling for AB's departure, far from it.  That said, it is a results business and the results now that the league is taking shape are appalling.  I think that DC's programme notes yesterday are a shot across the bows of the players & management. Belatedly, we have had drastic surgery in the heart of our defence and the two centre backs did well yesterday albeit against a poor Morecambe attack.  Up front we know all about Platt and him being injured yet again says it all.  We will struggle to get 20 games out of him this season so a goal scoring replacement is a must. We may have to wait until January.  Radical surgery is also needed to our midfield which is simply not performing to an acceptable level.  Hornby should walk back into this side once he is fit.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #224 on: September 29, 2013, 12:47:07 pm »

all of what Aidy did made sense to me but now I'm struggling to understand his decision making.
Really, the warning signs for me were there last year despite how well we did, persisting with the Platt/Nicholls partnership at the start of the season for far to long and relying on Bayo to come off the bench and change the game and actually provide the team with a goal threat. Dropping Guttridge on the back of a man of the match performance saying he was out of form and playing a Harding/Tozer central midfield again for what seemed like an age with the team unsurprisingly barely creating any chances or scoring any goals as a result. Obviously everybody has different opinions but the stats were so conclusively against what AD was doing. Both times he did eventually change things by starting Bayo and bringing back Guttridge, but I believe he really did so grudgingly against what he believed. This year we don't have the safety net of being able to bring in Bayo and Guttridge as they were both let go and so we are where we are now.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #225 on: September 29, 2013, 12:55:53 pm »

Really, the warning signs for me were there last year despite how well we did, persisting with the Platt/Nicholls partnership at the start of the season for far to long and relying on Bayo to come off the bench and change the game and actually provide the team with a goal threat. Dropping Guttridge on the back of a man of the match performance saying he was out of form and playing a Harding/Tozer central midfield again for what seemed like an age with the team unsurprisingly barely creating any chances or scoring any goals as a result. Obviously everybody has different opinions but the stats were so conclusively against what AD was doing. Both times he did eventually change things by starting Bayo and bringing back Guttridge, but I believe he really did so grudgingly against what he believed. This year we don't have the safety net of being able to bring in Bayo and Guttridge as they were both let go and so we are where we are now.

I cannot argue with any of this to be fair.

The only thing I will say is that Platt was started in the games shortly after he signed. Clearly Aidy believed he had signed a gem and was planning...and still is ffs (!)...an entire offensive around him. That said, he did revert back to Bayo and he was fantastic until January. And don't forget that he turned down Gillinghams offer for him as well. With regards to the Harding/Tozer central midfield, Im 100% with you on that as well.

But with 4 games of the season to go we were 3rd. The performances were not there but the results were. So 'his way' was working. Lots of parallels with Mr Atkins's spell at the club!!

Report Spam   Logged
Elad

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 29, 2013, 13:24:42 pm »

Look, Platt is a good player when fit, the when fit part being a huge issue.
Report Spam   Logged

If you are the big tree, we are the small axe. Ready to cut you down, to cut you down.
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #227 on: September 29, 2013, 19:23:54 pm »

I cannot argue with any of this to be fair.

The only thing I will say is that Platt was started in the games shortly after he signed. Clearly Aidy believed he had signed a gem and was planning...and still is ffs (!)...an entire offensive around him. That said, he did revert back to Bayo and he was fantastic until January. And don't forget that he turned down Gillinghams offer for him as well. With regards to the Harding/Tozer central midfield, Im 100% with you on that as well.

But with 4 games of the season to go we were 3rd. The performances were not there but the results were. So 'his way' was working. Lots of parallels with Mr Atkins's spell at the club!!

I was convinced we would 'get a result' yesterday, and even stated 'I'd be happy with a draw', as even that would give us something to build on. But, it was woeful. The defense looked more solid, although was hardly tested, so we'll see? The midfield remains shockingly poor, and it comes to something when people are relieved to see Tozer's introduction.
As for our forward options, well, doesn't even need saying anymore.

One of the biggest worries is that Boothroyd doesn't (at least publicly) seem to recognize the problem areas. Concerns were raised on here before a ball was ever kicked, and it is still those same areas which need addressing.

The other big worry is that Boothroyd has a history of making good starts, and then being unable to halt the slide once the wheels fall off. If he is as good at his job as he claims, then he'll likely have learned enough to turn things round.
But then if he was as good as he claims we wouldn't be lurching along in our current predicament, or saddled with a team of expensive journeymen.

Boothroyd's stock fell massively following the Wembley debacle, but we still have to hope he can turn this around. It is better for all concerned for him to get us climbing the table. The trouble is, having watched us play all season, and then looking at the fixture list, I just can't see this team picking up many points. We have to get at least six points from the next five games. Nothing less.
Report Spam   Logged
TownOwl

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 30, 2013, 13:01:02 pm »

I don't understand the comments about how the midfield was better with Tozer in it.

I don't disagree that the midfield might be better with Tozer in it generally. However, this week I thought he showed exactly why he is warming the bench when he came on. He looked out of touch and I lost count of how many times he passed it either straight to the opposition, or straight out of play. Such as the time he went to pass a simple 18 ball out wide right to Kev A and put it 10 yards behind him and out of play. He didn't even get his long throw right!

I think Gary 'yellow card' Deegan is alright (apart from all the bookings, which lead to suspensions), but I'm far from convinced by Carter and Morris.

On another midfield note, I think Hackett is Championship standard and we are very lucky to have him. Good forwards make great crosses, and bad forwards can make people unfairly blame the crosses. And yes, I was a frustrated right-winger in days gone by.
Report Spam   Logged

Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes
A view from the east

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 30, 2013, 15:57:41 pm »

Tozer always was and always will be a back up centre back. That's what he came here to do and that is why he is currently bench warming.
GJ and AB have tried to shoe horn him into other positions , all which he isn't very good at either.
Based on this seasons efforts Hackett is definitely not a championship player.
Carter , Deagan and Morris are just not very good journeymen. Several chairmen breathed a collective sigh of relief when they unloaded them onto us.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #230 on: September 30, 2013, 16:34:16 pm »

On Saturday's showing, the back five did their jobs and unfortunately were our stand out players.
The front two struggled because they didn't get decent service, a long ball missing out the midfield isn't decent service to a forward who isn't the tallest and to an eighteen year old who was 'out experienced' by Hughes.  Balls from Hackett in the first half were correct because of their aerial dominance but were dependent on someone gam-bling on the near post in the first half, even this dried up in the second.
Carter and Deegan weren't good enough in a two man especially with Morris hugging the touchline with little effect and not moving inside to support them.   
The decision to introduce Tozer was good and immediately strengthened that area but should have been for Carter and then either Emerton or Demontagnac (preferred) to replace Morris at the same time or even earlier to provide a bit of loose cannon individualism.  I thought that Toney's removal was wrong and going one up front was dissappointing even though Hackett eventually moved more central.
All in all very underwhelming and not a performance to encourage me, as an occasional attendeee, to return.
However, I am a Cobbler, I will be at Wimbledon and should be available to attend the Cheltnum game who coincidentally are also struggling for points in relative terms to their last season performances.
It must get better?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #231 on: September 30, 2013, 16:41:14 pm »

I am a Cobbler, I will be at Wimbledon

Look forward to meeting you Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Elad

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 30, 2013, 16:58:28 pm »

The simple fact is that most League 2 sides are much of a muchness. The better ones have 2 half decent strikers maybe 3.
Report Spam   Logged

If you are the big tree, we are the small axe. Ready to cut you down, to cut you down.
Trotty

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #233 on: September 30, 2013, 17:41:17 pm »

The simple fact is that most League 2 sides are much of a muchness. The better ones have 2 half decent strikers maybe 3.

Worryingly we haven't had to face one of the better teams yet.  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 30, 2013, 18:35:07 pm »

Look forward to meeting you Grin Grin

Is that something to look forward to?  Kiss
Report Spam   Logged

DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #235 on: September 30, 2013, 20:27:56 pm »

Interesting observations On Hacketts crossing Deepcut. I mentioned that to my step son after 20 minutes or so, how he was aiming at the  near post with lower balls due to the forwards we had. As you say, just a shame that they didn't gamble often enough.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 30, 2013, 20:47:45 pm »

Interesting observations On Hacketts crossing Deepcut. I mentioned that to my step son after 20 minutes or so, how he was aiming at the  near post with lower balls due to the forwards we had. As you say, just a shame that they didn't gam-ble often enough.

Sensible play from Hackett that was greeted by groans and moans from the crowd because he wasn't putting it high.  Roll Eyes Maybe they were groaning because the front two weren't getting in front to connect?  Although our (best) two chances in the first half were when they did.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #237 on: October 01, 2013, 15:09:30 pm »

I was convinced we would 'get a result' yesterday, and even stated 'I'd be happy with a draw', as even that would give us something to build on. But, it was woeful. The defense looked more solid, although was hardly tested, so we'll see? The midfield remains shockingly poor, and it comes to something when people are relieved to see Tozer's introduction.
As for our forward options, well, doesn't even need saying anymore.

One of the biggest worries is that Boothroyd doesn't (at least publicly) seem to recognize the problem areas. Concerns were raised on here before a ball was ever kicked, and it is still those same areas which need addressing.

The other big worry is that Boothroyd has a history of making good starts, and then being unable to halt the slide once the wheels fall off. If he is as good at his job as he claims, then he'll likely have learned enough to turn things round.
But then if he was as good as he claims we wouldn't be lurching along in our current predicament, or saddled with a team of expensive journeymen.

Boothroyd's stock fell massively following the Wembley debacle, but we still have to hope he can turn this around. It is better for all concerned for him to get us climbing the table. The trouble is, having watched us play all season, and then looking at the fixture list, I just can't see this team picking up many points. We have to get at least six points from the next five games. Nothing less.

'fort you said you didn't like pompous long winded messages - el Buffoono
No offence though
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 01, 2013, 17:21:30 pm »

'fort you said you didn't like pompous long winded messages - el Buffoono
No offence though

Seriously? Is that the best you've got, Troll Boy? Roll Eyes