The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 07:36:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Where does the buck stop?

Poll
Question: Where does the buck stop for our downward spiral
Sammo - 21 (42%)
Chairman - 21 (42%)
Previous managers - 2 (4%)
Nowhere: we'll improve - 6 (12%)
Total Voters: 42

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where does the buck stop?  (Read 3573 times)
EastNpton

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2010, 18:56:15 pm »

I repeat...why would a redevlopment mean the football club is suddenly run better? If we had a decent little team, an efficient commercial operation and were filling Sixfields then you could say...yes Cardoza deserves his redevlopment.

All I've seen in the past years is a club treading water, shedding fans and turning what was a buzzing stadium into a morgue
Report Spam   Logged
Son Of Geoff

Old T*ts

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2010, 18:58:49 pm »

If Cardoza hadn't taken the lease on Sixfields, would the club be better off? Are we not paying maintenance etc. which would've have otherwise been paid by the council? I can't see what benefit we get from the lease.
Report Spam   Logged

Don't. Talk. Sh*te. Twice.
Chamois

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2010, 19:15:53 pm »

I can understand Cardoza wanting to redevelop the site in order to raise money. Our home support hardly swelled last season during that fantastic run and he obviously thinks that retail development is the key. I think it's extremely harsh to blame the chairman for the current problems. He wasn't guilty of throwing away the games against Chesterfield and Hereford. Nor is it his fault that we cannot keep eleven men on the pitch.
Report Spam   Logged

"Every Cobblers player is a potential hero, not the villain some portray him as" (to the sound of 'All Together Now').
Ted

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2010, 19:20:17 pm »

This is how it works in business, and football is no different. The owner of the business appoints the staff, and if the staff fail, then it's down to the owners inability to make the right appointments.The buck ultimately stops at the owner.Simples !
Report Spam   Logged
EastNpton

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2010, 19:26:45 pm »

Fair points but it's not just a case of bare results. It's ultimately the issue of a club performing miserably in many spheres.

Of course we have been poor for many many years but with the move to Sixfields and an ever increasing population in Northants, the premier football club in the county has got to be capable of better.

Then we have the not insignificant issue of whether the club is going to be held to account for its debts underwritten by the owners, should they decide to call them in.

If the Cardoza's never plan to call them in then fair enough, let them waste more money on mediocre football.

However, if the club is going to be indebted (in every sense) for years to come then it may be better to rip the plaster off sooner rather than later and seek new owners for the Cobblers.

I know it's a scary thought but Exeter have gone down the route of fan ownership and we could too. Amongst other options
Report Spam   Logged
Ted

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2010, 19:41:26 pm »

Please, not the fan ownership route. Shocked Let's go the whole hog and bring in lefty Lomax as chairman.The only way for the club to prosper is the capitalist route, the same as it would be in any other business. It's blindingly obvious now that the more you endeavor to stand still, the more you inevitably fall.
Report Spam   Logged
Chamois

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2010, 19:42:20 pm »

Exeter also appointed a young manager (ex-Grecians player) who has an experienced general manager in Steve Perryman. However, they went out of the league before their re-birth. I hope we don't have to go down that route.
Report Spam   Logged

"Every Cobblers player is a potential hero, not the villain some portray him as" (to the sound of 'All Together Now').
Chamois

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2010, 19:45:31 pm »

Unfortunately, our club reflects our town: missed opportunities. The town turned away the railways, John Lewis, IKEA etc and we upset Max Griggs who could have achieved great things. What we need is someone like him. R & D was a folly, whereas he could have built a working edifice at NTFC.
Report Spam   Logged

Insider

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2010, 19:45:56 pm »

I would go as far as to say that the current owner is a conman.He certainly conned us all into thinking that he was capable of taking the club forward. Roll Eyes

Steady on, Ted, you'll have a libel suit winging its way from Cardoza Castle on Monday.  But just to make the action more expensive for him, I'm going to agree with you.
Report Spam   Logged
Ted

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2010, 19:50:52 pm »

Unfortunately, our club reflects our town: missed opportunities. The town turned away the railways, John Lewis, IKEA etc and we upset Max Griggs who could have achieved great things. What we need is someone like him. R & D was a folly, whereas he could have built a working edifice at NTFC.

That I do agree with !  We've certainly had our fair share of stubborn people who have followed their own political paths and most certainly have had their own selfish agendas.
Report Spam   Logged
Chamois

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2010, 19:52:27 pm »

Cardoza has always said that he is willing to step aside if someone out there has the means and drive to take over.
Report Spam   Logged

Ted

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2010, 19:56:14 pm »

Cardoza has always said that he is willing to step aside if someone out there has the means and drive to take over.

Where there's a will there's a way.But is there a will ?
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2010, 19:58:02 pm »

For £7m or a pound?  That is the question.
Report Spam   Logged
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2010, 19:59:37 pm »

7 million, and you get to keep the stock
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2010, 20:01:38 pm »

7 million, and you get to keep the stock

I'd have to pay someone to take the stock off my hands.  Just look at Guinan....
Report Spam   Logged
EastNpton

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2010, 20:23:16 pm »

Please, not the fan ownership route. Shocked Let's go the whole hog and bring in lefty Lomax as chairman.The only way for the club to prosper is the capitalist route, the same as it would be in any other business. It's blindingly obvious now that the more you endeavor to stand still, the more you inevitably fall.

So you're having a go at Brian Lomax OBE who did so much to help the club when we were rock bottom and instead praising the 'capitalist' route...

because the capitalist system is doing ever so well isnt it Ted??

Saying that if an old Tory like Ted wants change at the club things must be bad!
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2010, 20:40:26 pm »

"Where does the buck stop?" is a very good question, in the last ten years i have stopped using the "sports bar" due to poor service, i dont buy from the club shop because of lack of anything worth spending money on, i dont make any effort to bring anybody to games any more due to the complete farce that is a ticket office, i dont buy food from inside the stadium due to it being of a poor standard, i think a lot of the appointments made at the club ie. managers, general managers etc have been very poor, the decision then to give poor managers long contracts. Thats just a few things in a very long list, add to that the club badge fiasco, the development farce , it only lead to one answer,

Mr Cardoza.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
cricketside

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2010, 20:47:41 pm »

Bloody hell! He goes on about a lot of important things and then spoils it with add to that the club badge fiasco. What about that f***ing puddle? Eh?
Report Spam   Logged

"Andrew Ellis was very much against what was going on. The Cardozas were strictly about business and development so that was him out the door. Andrew Ellis was only ever a football man."

*****And he appointed Terry Fenwick*****
Ted

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2010, 21:16:10 pm »

So you're having a go at Brian Lomax OBE who did so much to help the club when we were rock bottom and instead praising the 'capitalist' route...

because the capitalist system is doing ever so well isnt it Ted??

Saying that if an old Tory like Ted wants change at the club things must be bad!

Since lefty Lomax had his concept of fan owned clubs we've seen the whole football business spiral out of control. We now have a situation where one player who plays for Man Utd commands a monthly wage that is more than a second division club's player budget for a whole season.I'd say that the Trust ideal has been an abject failure.They do say that one extreme invariably leads to another.
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2010, 21:31:15 pm »

Can only agree with Ted that the concept of  " A Fan Owed Club" is not the way forward.  The trust ideal has failed as a long term solution.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: