The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 02:44:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Where does the buck stop?

Poll
Question: Where does the buck stop for our downward spiral
Sammo - 21 (42%)
Chairman - 21 (42%)
Previous managers - 2 (4%)
Nowhere: we'll improve - 6 (12%)
Total Voters: 42

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where does the buck stop?  (Read 3572 times)
defender

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2010, 23:49:09 pm »

Hello All,
            I don't sammo would be happy about it, but I think the answer is to bring Ian Atkins back and make Ian Sampson his second in command, what ever happens we would not go down and we may still make the play-offs. As I said I can't see Sampson having any of it, but  Ian Atkins would soon sort the defence out and that is the major problem. Instead of looking for a winner we should have gone there for a draw and taken a point, let's face it, a draw would have been seen as a good result against a team that are a lot higher than we are, it would have given the side a lot of confidence and does it need it. Tony Clark has gone now and nothing should be standing in Atkins way and remember Ian Sampson must have a lot of respect him.
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2010, 05:26:40 am »

Does anyone know what property the Cardozas have developed?
He has a nice conservatory

Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Marvo

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2010, 06:54:01 am »

I don't sammo would be happy about it, but I think the answer is to bring Ian Atkins back

You know, that would be great. It's hard for me to make that final break from the club after over 40 years but that would do it.
Report Spam   Logged
Gazman

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2010, 07:16:34 am »

Where the buck stops depends on the problem.

If its bad decisions and lack of effort = players
Poor tactical decisions and players looking clueless = manager
Lack of funds to have a competetive squad = chairman

Going by that I think the answer is that its shared by all of them.

Report Spam   Logged
Marvo

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2010, 07:41:16 am »

Unless someone is going to tell me we've the 23rd lowest playing budget in League 2, you can rule out point 3!
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2010, 08:33:10 am »

For those with short memories let us not forget (1) the refusal of DC to allow Gray to reinvest the proceeds of transfer proceeds from the likes of Bunn, Johnson and Gypes which in effect cost us our League 1 status (2) the failure to replace Gray as soon as were relegated (Gray had "lost it" by then) so allowing Gray to bring in a players such as Guinan and Hinton who have contributed little or nothing (3) going for the "cheap" option of recruiting from within, a former player who enjoys legendary status, but with no management experience and few contacts in the game so in turn making us very dependent on Malcolm Crosby's contacts and trying to achieve success with a group of youngsters who have very quickly lost their way.  I feel very sorry for Sammo, a straight-talking man and a man who has devoted much of his life to the Cobblers.  He has done his best but if we lose against Gillingham that will be the end.  But I blame the Chairman.  It is he who appoints the manager, so the buck must stop with him.  The present position is dire and DC would have us believe we are are "a club going forward".
Report Spam   Logged
Marvo

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2010, 08:43:10 am »

For those with short memories let us not forget (1) the refusal of DC to allow Gray to reinvest the proceeds of transfer proceeds from the likes of Bunn, Johnson and Gypes which in effect cost us our League 1 status (2) the failure to replace Gray as soon as were relegated (Gray had "lost it" by then) so allowing Gray to bring in a players such as Guinan and Hinton who have contributed little or nothing (3) going for the "cheap" option of recruiting from within, a former player who enjoys legendary status, but with no management experience and few contacts in the game so in turn making us very dependent on Malcolm Crosby's contacts and trying to achieve success with a group of youngsters who have very quickly lost their way.  I feel very sorry for Sammo, a straight-talking man and a man who has devoted much of his life to the Cobblers.  He has done his best but if we lose against Gillingham that will be the end.  But I blame the Chairman.  It is he who appoints the manager, so the buck must stop with him.  The present position is dire and DC would have us believe we are are "a club going forward".

What utter claptrap.

For a start the MAJORITY on here argued for Gray to be given more time long after people like myself said he'd "lost it", the MAJORITY on here thought local hero Sammo should be given the job. The Chairman has actually done what the MAJORITY on here wanted.

Sammo is the manager, everything is down to him for he accepted the job and knows only too well its a job based on results!
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2010, 08:57:50 am »

Unless someone is going to tell me we've the 23rd lowest playing budget in League 2, you can rule out point 3!

Just out of curiosity - what is our playing budget, and where do you find out what other clubs spend?
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2010, 08:59:14 am »

What I wrote is what I wrote at the time so how can it be utter claptrap? Marvo, you don't need to descend to the level of insults to make your point.  In fact, if you consider my comments you and I may actually be in agreement.   Now there's a surprise. Do try and comment in mature and adult manner and your views might be better received.
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2010, 09:13:33 am »

And if you don't really grasp the point it can be described as cause and effect.
Report Spam   Logged
Marvo

« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2010, 09:34:40 am »

What I wrote is what I wrote at the time so how can it be utter claptrap? Marvo, you don't need to descend to the level of insults to make your point.  In fact, if you consider my comments you and I may actually be in agreement.   Now there's a surprise. Do try and comment in mature and adult manner and your views might be better received.

But you run rings around yourself. One minute you say Cardoza should have given Gray more money, the next you say he'd lost it. Was Gray a good manager or not? Do you think had Cardoza given Gray more money we would have remained in league 1 and Gray would still be the manager now? Or, like you say yourself, that Gray would have actually wasted the money like he did in the summer before he was sacked?

The fans were calling out for Sammo to be given the job. Not only did Cardoza do what the fans wanted, he even got Crosby on board to help the inexperienced "legend". Are we realy saying that employing Sammo and Crosby was the cheap option? Surely both their wages together would have provided a big enough single wage for an experienced head at this level?

Things haven't worked out for Cardoza off the field but to blame him for what has happened on the field of play is ridiculous. All his managers have been given a fair budget to work with and I have no doubt whatsoever that if we'd managed to find the right man we'd be sitting comfortably in league 1 now, not balancing on the abyss of non-league obscurity. 
Report Spam   Logged
Power Football

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2010, 09:42:17 am »

To be in the bottom 2 at this, all be it early, stage of the season is simply unacceptable. Sammo has to shoulder the blame for the poor league performance. Defeat against Ipswich and then Gillingham next week would surely see his position become untenable.

Cardoza should never have given him the job in the first place of course, the selection process leaved a lot to be desired despite appearing on this website to say finances wouldn't be an issue when looking for Gray's replacement. The appointment of Sammo came after the worst run by a caretaker manager i can imaging making his appointment seem like a fait'accompli from day one.

The dismissal of the then outstanding candidate Mark Cooper without so much as an interview (Cardoza even alluded to not knowing who he was in an interview at the time) would suggest that Sammo was always the only candidate in Cardoza's eyes.

Despite this massive failing Cardoza has provided a competitive budget for this season despite the 25% budget cut (Which to be fair to DC, has been a common practice amongst all teams at this level) and the question has to be whether or not you think Sammo has used this wisely and gets the best out of the players available at the club.

We can (and should) blame Cardoza for the falling standard of the Club off the pitch, I've witnessed customer service levels over the last couple of months that are quite simply laughable. As an example, the girls who looked after the Club shop at the last home game couldn't give a sh*t and qite obviously didn't want to be there. The Club desperately need to improve in this area, as i have seen an increasing number of my friends choose going to the Saints over the Cobblers as they feel it is a much better match day experiance for their young families.

On the field, the question i keep asking myself is would another manager get more out of the current squad? And the answer i keep thinking is a definate yes. Defeat to Gillingham next week and i'm afraid i will certainly be in the Sammo out camp. The onnus would then be on Cardoza to replace him correctly and with the right selection process in place.

If the job goes to Crosby or another ex-player like Warbuton or Parrish i.e the cheap option, than the very little faith i have left in Cardoza would be gone for ever....

Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2010, 09:44:01 am »

My reason for saying Gray should have gone when we were relegated is that by that time he had lost the dressing room and the backing of our supporter base.  Our demise was not all his fault entirely for the reasons stated and I was one of those against Sammo's appointment by DC.  As I comment, the buck stops with the Chairman.  That is my point of view.
Report Spam   Logged
cricketside

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2010, 09:45:24 am »

...I have seen an increasing number of my friends choose going to the Saints over the Cobblers as they feel it is a much better match day experiance for their young families.

You must have a bunch of well off chums in that case.
Report Spam   Logged

"Andrew Ellis was very much against what was going on. The Cardozas were strictly about business and development so that was him out the door. Andrew Ellis was only ever a football man."

*****And he appointed Terry Fenwick*****
EastNpton

« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2010, 10:10:44 am »

Since lefty Lomax had his concept of fan owned clubs we've seen the whole football business spiral out of control. We now have a situation where one player who plays for Man Utd commands a monthly wage that is more than a second division club's player budget for a whole season.I'd say that the Trust ideal has been an abject failure.They do say that one extreme invariably leads to another.

How the hell can you blame fan interests in clubs on wages spiralling out of control? The whole point is to create some governance over clubs to stop the excesses of the "free market".

Ted you are a mad man but at least you have an opinion.

Take at look at this article on the 51% scheme in Germany, it's pretty balanced and interesting

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2010/03/11/fan-ownership-the-bundesliga-model/

I think it's pretty clear that we can't all sit on the outside any more moaning as we continue to fall down the league. With a club of our financial history we've got a responsibility to do something....1st trust and all that
Report Spam   Logged
Ted

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2010, 10:41:14 am »

How the hell can you blame fan interests in clubs on wages spiralling out of control? The whole point is to create some governance over clubs to stop the excesses of the "free market".

Ted you are a mad man but at least you have an opinion.

Take at look at this article on the 51% scheme in Germany, it's pretty balanced and interesting

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2010/03/11/fan-ownership-the-bundesliga-model/

I think it's pretty clear that we can't all sit on the outside any more moaning as we continue to fall down the league. With a club of our financial history we've got a responsibility to do something....1st trust and all that

I couldn't give a monkey's chuff what they do in the farterland. This is England, a totally different and far superior culture.As for me being being a mad man, well I've done pretty well for myself despite what you say.It's dog eat dog in this world, and to endeavor to "pull everyone under one roof" is utopian clap trap.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2010, 10:58:12 am »

If the chairman is picking the team,dictating tactics and signings ect. Then being second from bottom is his fault, but not otherwise it is not, as for not having any money, I have supported the cobblers since the late fifties and just when did we have any? We got to the very top with very limited funds, we were promoted, relegated, promoted, relegated ect.ect.  We have had to sell players just to keep going, but we did keep going. I for one thought Ian Sampson was the right choice and he still could be, but he may need more time than he has, I have been calling for Ian Atkins, but I would still like to see sammo playing a part, if that were possible.
Report Spam   Logged
Ted

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2010, 11:03:23 am »

Anyone who is calling for Atkins immediately loses all credibility.
Report Spam   Logged
Chamois

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2010, 11:16:56 am »

If people have chosen to go to the egg chasing instead of the footie then they weren't football fans in the first place.
The blame has to be shared by the manager and the players. The squad is good enough to compete at this level. It lacks mental strength.
Report Spam   Logged

"Every Cobblers player is a potential hero, not the villain some portray him as" (to the sound of 'All Together Now').
Ted

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2010, 11:19:52 am »

If people have chosen to go to the egg chasing instead of the footie then they weren't football fans in the first place.
The blame has to be shared by the manager and the players. The squad is good enough to compete at this level. It lacks mental strength.

I go to both because I'm a sporting fan.In fact, I'm off to watch the rugby in a mo.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: