The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 10:48:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Welcome Martin Allen

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome Martin Allen  (Read 7362 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2013, 19:29:57 pm »

Done any research yet into the problems with Mr Allen?

Your undying support for Mr Allen may put you in the spotlight - you'll alert the usual suspects! Good luck though Wink
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
TbananaG

« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2013, 19:33:05 pm »

Some people just won't be helped.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2013, 19:34:17 pm »

Done any research yet into the problems with Mr Allen?

Yeah...Gills, Barnet...oh and Ralap's mate!
Report Spam   Logged
DuncanSpeddingsLeftFoot

« Reply #103 on: December 24, 2013, 10:39:24 am »

Martin Allen?

Jeez I hope not.
Report Spam   Logged
GillysM8

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 25, 2013, 08:42:29 am »

I think Martin Allen might be what we need right now tbh
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 25, 2013, 09:54:47 am »

I think Martin Allen might be what we need right now tbh

I think you are quite right, we need a manager who will grab the squad by the scruff of the neck and shake them up, Allen could be just the man to do it.
Report Spam   Logged
SteveRiches

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2013, 10:39:44 am »

He'd probably grab the chairman by the scruff of the neck, turn him upside down to see how much money drops out on the floor; spend it all on his own entourage and a few old players, and then get himself sacked in April with us on the brink of relegation.
Report Spam   Logged
Montgomery Eypoke III

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 25, 2013, 10:48:15 am »

Just like he did when he was appointed at???
Report Spam   Logged
SteveRiches

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #108 on: December 25, 2013, 11:26:32 am »

I could quote selectively to either prove or disprove you or me - his Barnet record of won % is around the 44% mark, for Notts County around 37%...and there's a range inbetween. Instead of using statistics, though, I trawled a few dozen media interviews off the net and found him worryingly like Gary Johnson - in other words I don'treally trust the bloke, seems a touch "shifty" to me - however I do see how many people would see him as the "short sharp shock" merchant who could keep us up. Maybe he can, maybe he can't, maybe he'd say no - but in the end I'd support whoever gets the job, we're deep in the smelly stuff and we all need to back the club.
Report Spam   Logged
phil

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 25, 2013, 11:28:16 am »

He'd probably grab the chairman by the scruff of the neck, turn him upside down to see how much money drops out on the floor; spend it all on his own entourage and a few old players, and then get himself sacked in April with us on the brink of relegation.
   just likec we are now
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #110 on: December 25, 2013, 11:30:05 am »

Let's look at it the other way around - name one successful relationship he has in the game, one club, one manager, one player, group of fans....where he's spoken of positively. It's kind of like us, or Bristol City or Peterborough fans, saying "yeah, great bloke that Gary Johnson, give him the job..!". I honestly don't understand why a few people on here who don't know him think they know better than the many thousands who have had the negative experience of Mr Allen.
Report Spam   Logged
mackemcobbler
FTM

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #111 on: December 25, 2013, 11:35:18 am »

Other than Brentford he doesn't seem to stay @ clubs for more than a year often falling out with the chairman/fans/players( take your pick) do i want him @ my club not really, rather have someone in for the long term & who will take this mess of a club forward is Sean O'Driscoll or a young up & coming manager ie Jon Brady        
Report Spam   Logged
John

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 25, 2013, 11:50:15 am »

This is a post I made elsewhere when Boothroyd was sacked. Sorry, haven't the time to write it again.

I love the way people promote or dismiss the names of possible new managers, as if they have some insight on the future. People also love to say they were against such and such the minute they walked through the door at Sixfields, they may have been, they may even have been vocal about it but the truth is if you say now that in the end the next manager of Northampton Town will eventually fail and be sacked then the chances of you being right has to be above 90%.

That means almost all choices will eventually be wrong and there are no certainties, if only there were. Supporters keep claiming that Cardoza has been poor in his choice but I ask you, without the benefit of hindsight, how? On paper both Gary Johnson and Aidy Boothroyd were the perfect choices and we all know how they worked out. They must have both come with a big salary to match their big reputations, had Cardoza gone for the unknown or another from the backroom staff in order to save money, then you could level some sort of charge against him but I'm sorry, he did his best and with the blessing of the majority of supporters.

So who next? I don't know, you could almost stick a pin in a bunch of names and you'd be just as likely to get the right man. We gone down most routes now, the up and coming coach, the experienced head, promoting from within, all tried within the last decade and yet here we are at the bottom of the entire football league. I'm a great one for history (as you know) and if you look for a common denominator of the three managers, Graham Carr, Kevin Wilson and Colin Calderwood that gained us automatic promotion out of this division then that would be that none of them had ever managed a League club before they took over here and in the case of Carr and Wilson both were former players, so if you were looking to follow that pattern then I guess Kevin Wilkins at Nuneaton would be the choice. On the other hand I can see the argument for Martin Allen as the old warhorse who always seems to get the job done when asked to save a club from relegation, though what you do with him afterwards god knows. In fairness he did get Gillingham up as Champions of this division so he obviously knows what's required and if you can put his time at Cheltenham down as a blip then his overall record is pretty impressive, 164 wins, 112 draws, 128 defeats.

All this though is by the by, like I said earlier, there are no guarantees. For me I'd just like to see a manager that for the majority of times does what the majority of supporters expect. I doubt there's a single Cobblers supporter who could have predicted our starting line-up in even 8 of the 108 games Boothroyd was in charge. You need the odd surprise, it's the shocks that kill you.

Good luck to whoever it is, he will have my full support and as a side note Mr Cardoza has just ensured himself of a season ticket holder for another year.

PS: Wouldn't mind someone who likes attacking football with maybe a winger (or two). Merry Christmas.
Report Spam   Logged

mackemcobbler
FTM

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #113 on: December 25, 2013, 11:59:47 am »

its called opinions we all have different ones but it doesn't mean any of us are right
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #114 on: December 25, 2013, 12:12:37 pm »

just likec we are now
its not april is it
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #115 on: December 25, 2013, 12:16:27 pm »

This is a post I made elsewhere when Boothroyd was sacked. Sorry, haven't the time to write it again.

I love the way people promote or dismiss the names of possible new managers, as if they have some insight on the future. People also love to say they were against such and such the minute they walked through the door at Sixfields, they may have been, they may even have been vocal about it but the truth is if you say now that in the end the next manager of Northampton Town will eventually fail and be sacked then the chances of you being right has to be above 90%.

That means almost all choices will eventually be wrong and there are no certainties, if only there were. Supporters keep claiming that Cardoza has been poor in his choice but I ask you, without the benefit of hindsight, how? On paper both Gary Johnson and Aidy Boothroyd were the perfect choices and we all know how they worked out. They must have both come with a big salary to match their big reputations, had Cardoza gone for the unknown or another from the backroom staff in order to save money, then you could level some sort of charge against him but I'm sorry, he did his best and with the blessing of the majority of supporters.

So who next? I don't know, you could almost stick a pin in a bunch of names and you'd be just as likely to get the right man. We gone down most routes now, the up and coming coach, the experienced head, promoting from within, all tried within the last decade and yet here we are at the bottom of the entire football league. I'm a great one for history (as you know) and if you look for a common denominator of the three managers, Graham Carr, Kevin Wilson and Colin Calderwood that gained us automatic promotion out of this division then that would be that none of them had ever managed a League club before they took over here and in the case of Carr and Wilson both were former players, so if you were looking to follow that pattern then I guess Kevin Wilkins at Nuneaton would be the choice. On the other hand I can see the argument for Martin Allen as the old warhorse who always seems to get the job done when asked to save a club from relegation, though what you do with him afterwards god knows. In fairness he did get Gillingham up as Champions of this division so he obviously knows what's required and if you can put his time at Cheltenham down as a blip then his overall record is pretty impressive, 164 wins, 112 draws, 128 defeats.

All this though is by the by, like I said earlier, there are no guarantees. For me I'd just like to see a manager that for the majority of times does what the majority of supporters expect. I doubt there's a single Cobblers supporter who could have predicted our starting line-up in even 8 of the 108 games Boothroyd was in charge. You need the odd surprise, it's the shocks that kill you.

Good luck to whoever it is, he will have my full support and as a side note Mr Cardoza has just ensured himself of a season ticket holder for another year.

PS: Wouldn't mind someone who likes attacking football with maybe a winger (or two). Merry Christmas.
maybe get Johnson back eh mate? Remember you get all the big decisions right... ;
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 25, 2013, 12:35:44 pm »

its not april is it
[/quote

f*** me Karl! You didn't know what day it was yesterday, not knowing what month it is might mean you need to stick to just mild abuse of the mind and body for a stint!
Report Spam   Logged
John

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 25, 2013, 14:54:08 pm »

maybe get Johnson back eh mate? Remember you get all the big decisions right... ;

You do know Yeovil are in the championship, right?
Report Spam   Logged

Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #118 on: December 25, 2013, 17:05:14 pm »

You do know Yeovil are in the championship, right?
he left us in the sh1t and yeovil are second bottom..
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
John

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 25, 2013, 17:11:13 pm »

he left us in the sh1t and yeovil are second bottom..

Second bottom of the championship?

I think I'd take that.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: