The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 01:40:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

12 months without goals!!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 12 months without goals!!!  (Read 3118 times)
John

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 19:16:21 pm »

A day or two ago some regular posters on this site confident we would beat York and all would be well.  Wrong I'm afraid

Oh how happy you must have been when York scored, I bet you nearly jumped up to cheer them on.
Report Spam   Logged

Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 19:28:18 pm »

Marvo - I was too polite to name you but let me say I have probably been supporting the Cobblers longer than you, each home match involves a round journey of 140 miles and no little expense.  No one, but no on,e should question loyalty.  And I am one amongst many.  I am despondent at the present situation.  So cheap digs like your most recent post are treated with the contempt they deserve.  I say it as I see it and if you have a different point of view that is fine but let us no lose sight of what unites us.
Report Spam   Logged
John

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 19:43:43 pm »

Marvo - I was too polite to name you but let me say I have probably been supporting the Cobblers longer than you, each home match involves a round journey of 140 miles and no little expense.  No one, but no on,e should question loyalty.  And I am one amongst many.  I am despondent at the present situation.  So cheap digs like your most recent post are treated with the contempt they deserve.  I say it as I see it and if you have a different point of view that is fine but let us no lose sight of what unites us.

Well sorry if I was trying to be optimistic, after what we've been through this season.  Roll Eyes

Basing a whole argument on one 90 minute display is to my mind a little bit silly, do you think I would have mentioned you if we had won? Of course not, I don't know you, you don't even appear on my radar.

PS: I've no idea whether you are a better supporter than me, I've only done 48 years so a bit of a newbie. You call yourself "vintage", all i can say is it must have been a pretty poor year.
Report Spam   Logged

Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 19:52:38 pm »

For what it is worth, I beat you by a few years and I am very happy to be off your radar.  Long may it continue.
Report Spam   Logged
John

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 20:00:35 pm »

For what it is worth, I beat you by a few years and I am very happy to be off your radar.  Long may it continue.

For what's it's worth?

An awful lot by the credence you are putting by it.

Oh why must I have been born too late?  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2014, 20:02:36 pm »

Vintage - seems a classic case of misunderstanding maybe Marvo anticipated things a tad hastily but moods etc after todays game can be a little taut.
Mine was Cry
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Mistical

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 20:05:15 pm »

They are suggesting that the implications of not doing this would have far reaching implications if we were relegated in such that enticing people/companies to spend on corporate boxes for non league football would prove tricky and that a lot of revenue would be lost as a consequence of relegation.

Anyone who thinks that businesses are going to spend on corporate boxes for L2 but not the Conference are stupid. The fact is NO ONE will spend on corporate boxes at Sixfields because the town has a far more attractive sports team in the Saints, who are far more glamorous, unfortunately.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 20:10:21 pm »

Anyone who thinks that businesses are going to spend on corporate boxes for L2 but not the Conference are stupid. The fact is NO ONE will spend on corporate boxes at Sixfields because the town has a far more attractive sports team in the Saints, who are far more glamorous, unfortunately.

I can remember at some away games pretty sure there where a few (only a few) with Corporate Boxes
Report Spam   Logged

oop_north

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2014, 20:18:13 pm »

I can remember at some away games pretty sure there where a few (only a few) with Corporate Boxes

Please edit your post to correct the spelling error!
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 20:42:51 pm »

You just said that we need to spend a million on players and I just showed you that it doesn't work that way. Because you've been shown up AGAIN you've now gone on about something else.

PS: Paddy Madden hasn't scored a single goal this season and was left on the bench today. I really wish it was your money you talk about spending, now THAT would be worth watching.
In fairness it was mr Oglethorpe who said we needed to spend a mill on four or five quality players or face relegation.
I do think though that unless quality is bought into the club we will be relegated.
The game could be up after next weekend.
As I posted in November they needed to get in quality players on loan turning permanent when the window opened because if not we could be cut adrift at the bottom of the league and no decent player would be happy to sign.
Unfortunately we didn't and we are adrift.
One thing I will say....
In my opinion we will not stay up without spending money on some very good proven players.
Unfortunately I think that we've left it too late and any chance of getting in the quality needed is diminishing the more cut adrift we become.

What's your take on it marvo?
Do you think we have enough to stay up?
Have we left it too late to get the quality players needed?
Strictly come dancing or I'm a celebrity?
Quavers or hula hoops?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 20:46:26 pm »

Please edit your post to correct the spelling error!

No
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 21:01:46 pm »

In fairness it was mr Oglethorpe who said we needed to spend a mill on four or five quality players or face relegation.
I do think though that unless quality is bought into the club we will be relegated.
The game could be up after next weekend.
As I posted in November they needed to get in quality players on loan turning permanent when the window opened because if not we could be cut adrift at the bottom of the league and no decent player would be happy to sign.
Unfortunately we didn't and we are adrift.
One thing I will say....
In my opinion we will not stay up without spending money on some very good proven players.
Unfortunately I think that we've left it too late and any chance of getting in the quality needed is diminishing the more cut adrift we become.

What's your take on it marvo?
Do you think we have enough to stay up?
Have we left it too late to get the quality players needed?
Strictly come dancing or I'm a celebrity?
Quavers or hula hoops?

It's like talking to a deaf person who cannot see...  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 21:21:57 pm »

It's like talking to a deaf person who cannot see...  Roll Eyes
Pardon Grin
Report Spam   Logged
County Cobbler

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2014, 04:28:38 am »

Our current desperate situation isn't a recent problem. Our cronic lack of quality midfielders has meant the chances have not been created in sufficient numbers, for the forwards we have had of all standards!
Only when Ravenhill combined with Ferdinand did it remotely function. This season Carter and Deegan have been unable to string back to back good performances. We have lacked a left sided midfielder for the past year.
Personally I think it requires THREE new midfielders, one hell of a task!
We are desperate for a centre half who can head clear of the box consistantly.
Plus a striker of the standard of Matt Tubbs is a minimum whatever the cost, along with Norris.

Re the manager I would **** on Kevin Wilkin and back him financially to sign 3 or 4 hungry quality non league players, alongside a couple of experienced players for the spine of team.

After all that I am not certain it would work quick enough.
I DO NOT ENVY DAVID CARDOZA AND THE BOARDS DECISION!

The current situation means we are about to tip over the edge of a cliff and you try and offer some constructive comments, what intelligent response do you get? The usual 'keyboard experts' (Shoemaker and Marvo for starters) launch into another juvenille bitching excercise, is that the priority?
I believe the board require constructive opinions, from passionate supporters, in guiding the decision makers through the massive days ahead NOT the 'I told you so', 'I'm better than you' reteric!
Good luck DC in your actions for the benefit of NTFC.
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2014, 07:16:02 am »

There is a risk of over-complicating this. The difference between yesterday and recent games was that Deegan and Carter were entirely hopeless again after a bit of a false dawn. By hopeless, I mean that they don't create anything through quality passing, they don't help defensively by getting decent challenges in and, perhaps most importantly, they never make the ground to get in goalscoring positions. We actually look a bit better when we play 4-5-1 because we have an extra body to compensate, but get overrun when we play 4-4-2. When Hackett plays, we have an outlet and another threat, but 4-4-2 with Carter and Deegan CM means we just get dominated and the strikers get isolated, so it doesn't really matter who you have up front if they're getting no service. Aidy had realised his terrible error weeks ago and jettisoned Carter and Deegan but I think this is the heart of the problem, and where the beginning of the solution lies.
Report Spam   Logged
County Cobbler

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2014, 07:27:18 am »

Add Morris to your comments about this season and this is why I think the priority is a completely new midfield................and a centre-half who can head the ball consistantly out of the area.............and a more experienced striker (yes probably expensive wage wise).
Easy.........NOT!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Clint

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2014, 07:34:37 am »

If we had had a couple of players of the calibre of Guttridge and Ravenhill, giving us some midfield bite, instead of the powder-puff Deegan and Carter, we would have beaten York.
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2014, 07:38:34 am »

There is a risk of over-complicating this. The difference between yesterday and recent games was that Deegan and Carter were entirely hopeless again after a bit of a false dawn. By hopeless, I mean that they don't create anything through quality passing, they don't help defensively by getting decent challenges in and, perhaps most importantly, they never make the ground to get in goalscoring positions. We actually look a bit better when we play 4-5-1 because we have an extra body to compensate, but get overrun when we play 4-4-2. When Hackett plays, we have an outlet and another threat, but 4-4-2 with Carter and Deegan CM means we just get dominated and the strikers get isolated, so it doesn't really matter who you have up front if they're getting no service. Aidy had realised his terrible error weeks ago and jettisoned Carter and Deegan but I think this is the heart of the problem, and where the beginning of the solution lies.

Spot on. The belief that ab had been suppressing Carter and now he had gone would free him up was to anyone who has watched this side this season misplaced beyond belief. Once the side was named we were in trouble. It doesn't matter who you have upfront they cannot score without service. carter cannot play in A 442 has he is simply far too slow.

I do not believe that Tozer is a centre half but all credit to him he was superb again yesterday but by dropping Reid to move him back the we completely sacrificed the middle of the park. More worrying was who was on the bench to change things if they were going wrong.

You cannot let platt, I know he was unfit yesterday and Donavan go without replacing them first. We are doing things backwards.

The problem is not the investment in the club but how it has been spent. Abs selection in his marque players was poor beyond belief. Duke excepted.
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2014, 08:14:18 am »

Kind of gives the lie to Shoemaker's dripping tap argument about spending. Actually, if we'd kept Guttridge, Akknfenwa and Harding and spent nothing on high wage marquee signings in the summer, who doesn't think we would be better off now?! And thank god we didn't sign Howe for a fee as so many wanted - dropped and offloaded asap by Burton. Be careful of what you wish for.
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2014, 08:19:34 am »

Incidentally, I thought Penn (10) was superb for them yesterday - exactly what we needed in midfield and signed only last week. Looked like we'd certainly signed the wrong Cheltenham midfielder.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: