The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 18:19:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Justin Edinburgh

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Justin Edinburgh  (Read 48648 times)
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2017, 16:41:51 pm »

The views on the Gills forum, social media etc is very mixed. Not significantly different than when a manager gets the sack at any football club.

The fitness coach is an interesting one. Lets face it, this is a very 'recent' thing. We had one under Aidy B, can't remember his name now but we had shed loads of injuries! Whilst the Australian guy employed by Page didn't exactly create a fit squad...so maybe JE perceives having one as being a luxury at this level, preferring to spend that money on a player instead. Who knows. But at times I've often thought of them as being jobsworths...

I prefer to look at stats where possible and JE's stats are impressive. And over a long spell of time. Im enthusiastic about the appointment; whether it goes well for us, only time will tell. Bowen, Carr, Atkins, Calderwood...none of these achieved anything significant outside of Northampton but all did well here at times. Its all about timing, being in the right place at the right time. Unless its Rob Page whom clearly didn't understand the fundamental basics of making a sub correctly!  Grin

Just look at some of the players tweets when JED was sacked, backed him up as a manager with comments such as "gutted to see him go" " He personally did a lot for me" speaks volumes fro the man..

I cant wait to see what he does as i have a much different view when page walked through the door thats for sure... 

Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2017, 17:14:52 pm »

I don't think I saw a single tweet or interview comment from an NTFC player saying that they were sorry to see Page (or his backroom staff) go or thanking him in any way.
Report Spam   Logged
OldStratfordCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2017, 17:43:24 pm »

Hi, he brought a more professional approach to our game, but also was a bit stubborn to change his way when it wasn't working. Seemed to persevere a bit too long with certain players or tactics when most fans were calling for a change. He did have access to "lottery Les's"funds and took full advantage.
His legacy is unchallenged in getting promotion but went a little sour too when being a bit disrespectful to Newport on his match of the day feature on going to Gillingham, I thought that was a bit unnecessary. All in all I think he will do ok in the short term, but 90% of managers don't get more than that anyway!
 Best of luck!

Ps I doubt I will be watching County at Sixfields again in the near future!

Phil in Npton
Oh dear, another stubborn manager!!!!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2017, 17:48:46 pm »

I don't think I saw a single tweet or interview comment from an NTFC player saying that they were sorry to see Page (or his backroom staff) go or thanking him in any way.

Only saw comment from Rico and Buchs, both seemed to say something along the lines of "feel sorry for him that he's lost his job but hey, that's football" thought it was quite telling.

Oh dear, another stubborn manager!!!!!!!!

Aren't they all?
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2017, 19:31:56 pm »

To be fair, that's untrue, Revell did an interview where he said that he had spoken to Page and apologised on behalf of the players for not performing well enough for him to keep his job, but nobody really knows what the dressing room is like.

Unless you throttle Shaun Harrad or something of course.
Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2017, 21:29:26 pm »

Zakuani also tweeted his gratitude to Page for bringing him to a special club.
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2017, 08:05:18 am »

Zakuani also tweeted his gratitude to Page for bringing him to a special club.

Cinderella's?
Report Spam   Logged
craigwest

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Level 4 Linux User
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2017, 08:06:30 am »

Cinderella's?

Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2017, 08:06:51 am »

Good luck to our new manager and staff., As long as we don't play 'gun ho' football I will be happy.
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2017, 08:12:45 am »

Gung ho would be fine though.

Spelling police..... Wink
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2017, 09:13:03 am »

To be fair, that's untrue, Revell did an interview where he said that he had spoken to Page and apologised on behalf of the players for not performing well enough for him to keep his job, but nobody really knows what the dressing room is like.

Unless you throttle Shaun Harrad or something of course.

Saying sorry for playing crap is different to praising the manager and saying you were sorry to see him go.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2017, 09:53:47 am »

I agree . Not one player has expressed regret over Page leaving .
I think he lost the players respect by never accepting he got things wrong , particularly after the Peterborough game away .
I know for a fact that some  players thought there was not enough attention to detail in training .
Report Spam   Logged
Rodney

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2017, 21:59:22 pm »

Players at a club are always going to concentrate on their new manager, not their former one. Ricky Holmes did a long interview on arriving at Charlton and didn't mention CW once in it. It is Edinburgh who the players are focusing on, but that doesn't mean they're all pleased Page has gone. Zander mentioned a couple of months ago how much he had picked up from RP in an interview on Cobblers Player.
Report Spam   Logged

After years of boredom, despair, resignation and misery, this is unbound joy.
defender

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 19, 2017, 15:44:05 pm »

Gung ho would be fine though.

Spelling police..... Wink

We played that way once before and almost relegated, If you play you have to be VERY GOOD AT IT.

'fact police'
Report Spam   Logged
Knockingonabit

View Profile
Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2017, 15:31:19 pm »

Due a bit of credit with his two signings so far.
Report Spam   Logged
Gills Fan

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2017, 12:27:40 pm »

Hello everyone,

I left a review of JED when he got your job and wondered how close to fact you felt I have been and to see if he has learnt his lessons from his spell with us.

I wish Northampton all the best but we as Gillingham fans dislike JED with a passion so to see him fail is somewhat satisfying and can only hope he is pushed quickly so you guys don't have the sort of season we did last year.

"Hello all,

Gillingham fan here in peace.

I thought i'd give you all an insight to his tenure with us.

Joined in February 2015 after a long wait to employ someone, we had a 'gang of 4 coaches' (including Steve Lovell who left at the end of last season who many Gillingham fans cite as the tactical brains in the first two seasons under JED) in charge for 6 weeks following the sacking of Peter Taylor, Taylor arguably was the worst football I have seen at Priestfield so when he left with us teetering just above the relegation zone we were delighted, the 4 lads took us comfortably away from the relegation zone in the time before JED got the job so he came in under a steadied ship and anyone frankly was better than what we had before.

On paper he came in with a good reputation, premiership pedigree as a player and a successful manager to that date.

We finished the season in 12th having a good late tilt at the play offs but mid table was bliss in comparison to earlier in the season.

The football he plays is on the ground and was a marked improvement on long ball previously.

Last season he took us to 1st around this time last season and there's where the cracks appeared, in multiple games (I think 4 or 5) we contrived to throw away a 2 goal lead and either draw or lose, we somehow finished 9th after being in the top 2 still in February.

This season following on from last was full of optimism, the signings we made on paper were excellent (signed by our Director of Football though I am told), we picked up a few injuries pre season which didn't help but somehow he has left us in 17th! Generally the players didn't look interested towards the end.

Major failings were: tactically inept, persisted with a holding midfielder, no wingers and a striker up top on his own, too stubborn to change it. Defensively shocking (Brackley away will have shown you that) which is odd considering he was an elite level defender!

He never once hired a fitness coach, it showed as our players look unfit and we have picked up lots of injuries in his tenure. Coaching wise I am told by people at the club that his training sessions consisted of 5 a side kickabouts with no focused training or setting up a game plan to face the opposition. This has been highlighted even more so by our chairman being quoted as saying that he felt when he visited training sessions or went to games the team didn't appear to know the roles they were meant to be doing or how they were meant to be playing, hence why Pennock has been employed as a 'Head Coach' until the end of the season to get the best out of a good squad.

The common phrase towards him from our fans and also Newport fans was when the going gets bad he doesn't have a clue how to change it.

His comments towards the end of his tenure spelt the beginning of the end really, saying we were overachieving under him (all be it we are little old Gillingham but the squad assembled is miles better than 17th) and that he had left us in a better position (he took over with us in 17th and left us there). Also his relationship with the fans was tetchy, pumped his chest and lorded it when we won, disappears down the tunnel at any defeat.

Weird one for me, given how poor we have done this season I am amazed he has got himself another job above us!

I wish him well but I wouldn't call his tenure successful or say he was a good manager, time will tell I guess!

All the best."
Report Spam   Logged
guest2090

« Reply #196 on: August 21, 2017, 14:06:42 pm »

Major failings were: tactically inept, persisted with a holding midfielder, no wingers and a striker up top on his own, too stubborn to change it.

remove striker up top on his own and you have what we have.  all rather depressing.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2017, 14:10:32 pm »

Pretty much bang on the money.

He needs to go ASAP.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2017, 14:27:23 pm »

'Coaching wise I am told by people at the club that his training sessions consisted of 5 a side kickabouts with no focused training or setting up a game plan to face the opposition. This has been highlighted even more so by our chairman being quoted as saying that he felt when he visited training sessions or went to games the team didn't appear to know the roles they were meant to be doing or how they were meant to be playing'

Interesting to read this again.

It's all a far cry from THAT expertly rehearsed JJOT free-kick-routine against Luton, isn't it?
Report Spam   Logged
BrixworthCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2017, 19:16:40 pm »

I think we need to get Page back whilst we can and accept we all made a terrible mistake in getting rid of him so quickly.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: