The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 15:51:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

WEAR ALL GOING TO WEMBLEY

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WEAR ALL GOING TO WEMBLEY  (Read 1679 times)
mackemcobbler
FTM

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« on: January 23, 2014, 20:16:34 pm »

Brilliant night @ Old Trafford yesterday 15 mins that summed up football & i bet you won't see a worse penalty shoot out
#DaretoDream   
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 21:06:56 pm »

Wear as in Wearsiders?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
tcobb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 22:01:19 pm »

I remember seeing an awful penalty shootout at the New Den, 2-0 to the home side, anyone else remember ?
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
oop_north

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 22:04:09 pm »

I wore all of mine back in the Atkins' era.....
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 22:07:09 pm »

I remember seeing an awful penalty shootout at the New Den, 2-0 to the home side, anyone else remember ?

Yep, What a night that was!! We missed all of our 4 pens.... Farce!

Just looked on Soccerbase and was reminded of the events of the night....back in 1997 when the League Cup was a two-legged affair. We won the first leg 2-1 at Sixfields and were 2-0 down going into the last minute when John Gayle popped up to score to take the game into extra time. I seem to remember e/t was a non-event, and then came the pens.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 22:23:26 pm by GrangeParkCobbler » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 22:14:41 pm »

Wear as in Wearsiders?
Or "worse for"?
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
guest49

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 23:14:10 pm »

I was recounting that very night as we watched the shoot out at Old Trafford. The one last night came a close second to being the worst display of penalty taking I've seen. Factoring in that most of those involved get paid £xxk a week to kick a ball, it was probably THE worst.

It was a good spectacle to see who is going to lose against City.
Report Spam   Logged
mackemcobbler
FTM

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 07:24:42 am »

Wear as in Wearsiders?
yes
Report Spam   Logged
mackemcobbler
FTM

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 07:33:37 am »

Yep, What a night that was!! We missed all of our 4 pens.... Farce!

Just looked on Soccerbase and was reminded of the events of the night....back in 1997 when the League Cup was a two-legged affair. We won the first leg 2-1 at Sixfields and were 2-0 down going into the last minute when John Gayle popped up to score to take the game into extra time. I seem to remember e/t was a non-event, and then came the pens.
the sunderland game was the 1st penalty shootout in league cup history to feature 3 or fewer goals with both teams scoring ,Chester(1983 v Bolton) & Millwall(1997 v the Cobblers) both won 2-0.Now its the bun fight for tickets
Report Spam   Logged
mackemcobbler
FTM

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 21:17:03 pm »

Sunderland fans have taken over Covent Garden tonight
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 22:01:18 pm »

Hope your Wembley lasts longer than 27 minutes. Enjoy your day...
Report Spam   Logged

mackemcobbler
FTM

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 22:44:50 pm »

Hope your Wembley lasts longer than 27 minutes. Enjoy your day...
so do i  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
mackemcobbler
FTM

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 23:22:15 pm »

we may have lost to a very good Man City side but not disgraced enjoyed that game far more than i did last May & we could return to wembley if we beat Hull next Sunday
Report Spam   Logged
Baldy

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Combination
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 07:03:49 am »

Bad luck Sunderland. Very well played.
Report Spam   Logged
North_East_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 08:11:05 am »

we may have lost to a very good Man City side but not disgraced enjoyed that game far more than i did last May & we could return to wembley if we beat Hull next Sunday

Good day out wasn't it? The atmosphere before the game was incredible, we were in The Torch and it was a party from about 10am! - Enjoyed it in there afterwards too, you'd have thought Sunderland had won! - I must say, to the Sunderland supporters, THAT is how you get behind your team, and stay behind your team. They were incredible, and outsung City for 80% of the game. - 2 Class finishes did for them though, and you can't do much about that, but I'll be hoping for a couple more returns there this season!
Report Spam   Logged

5th place in the 2014 AND 2015 Grand National Sweepstake competitions. . . . .
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 09:01:02 am »

Good day out wasn't it? The atmosphere before the game was incredible, we were in The Torch and it was a party from about 10am! - Enjoyed it in there afterwards too, you'd have thought Sunderland had won! - I must say, to the Sunderland supporters, THAT is how you get behind your team, and stay behind your team. They were incredible, and outsung City for 80% of the game. - 2 Class finishes did for them though, and you can't do much about that, but I'll be hoping for a couple more returns there this season!

With us in the Play-offs... Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

MK_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 10:21:16 am »

What the devils going on here then?

So you support two teams, do they both get referred to as we?

Who do you support when they play each other?

I can just imagine you talking to the locals in the bar after that cold Tuesday night in 08.  ‘We could have won that’ ‘we did well to come from behind and win’ ‘we have a long journey home which isn’t ideal preparation for Saturdays game’ ‘its lucky we were at home tonight….’

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
North_East_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 14:07:47 pm »

I can just imagine you talking to the locals in the bar after that cold Tuesday night in 08.  ‘We could have won that’ ‘we did well to come from behind and win’ ‘we have a long journey home which isn’t ideal preparation for Saturdays game’ ‘its lucky we were at home tonight….’

Cheesy

Not sure if you're referring to me there? I didn't refer to "we" at all in my post. We are NTFC, always have been and always will be, as far as when I refer to "we/us/our" etc.

I've lived in Sunderland for the past 10 years. The wife, and all her family, are big SAFC supporters, and I live less than a mile from the ground. Do I have a season card (with the wife and the in-laws) at the SOL? Yes I do. Did I feel that, being a season card holder for the past 6 years, I have earned my right to a day out at Wembley following a club I care about? Yes I did. Do I still get to Sixfields a decent number of times a season, and also to away games when I can? Yes I do.

Finally, to answer your question, was I in the Northampton Town end when WE played Sunderland at the SOL a few years back? Yes I was. . . . . and then I went back to my local pub, in my Cobblers shirt, and talked about how close we were came to beating them, had a good bit of banter, and all of the regulars in my local keep an eye out for the Cobblers results now.

You can't change alliances as and when it suits, but I certainly don't feel like I've ditched us. My circumstances mean that I either sit at home and watch it on the TV, or I walk 20 mins to watch a live football match on a Saturday afternoon, and then make the 400 mile round trip as and when I can to watch MY team. . . . OUR team.
Report Spam   Logged

5th place in the 2014 AND 2015 Grand National Sweepstake competitions. . . . .
MK_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 16:25:02 pm »

Not sure if you're referring to me there? I didn't refer to "we" at all in my post. We are NTFC, always have been and always will be, as far as when I refer to "we/us/our" etc.

I've lived in Sunderland for the past 10 years. The wife, and all her family, are big SAFC supporters, and I live less than a mile from the ground. Do I have a season card (with the wife and the in-laws) at the SOL? Yes I do. Did I feel that, being a season card holder for the past 6 years, I have earned my right to a day out at Wembley following a club I care about? Yes I did. Do I still get to Sixfields a decent number of times a season, and also to away games when I can? Yes I do.

Finally, to answer your question, was I in the Northampton Town end when WE played Sunderland at the SOL a few years back? Yes I was. . . . . and then I went back to my local pub, in my Cobblers shirt, and talked about how close we were came to beating them, had a good bit of banter, and all of the regulars in my local keep an eye out for the Cobblers results now.

You can't change alliances as and when it suits, but I certainly don't feel like I've ditched us. My circumstances mean that I either sit at home and watch it on the TV, or I walk 20 mins to watch a live football match on a Saturday afternoon, and then make the 400 mile round trip as and when I can to watch MY team. . . . OUR team.

Thanks, however my post was aimed at this Mackemcobbler chap after he posted

Do the 5under1and fans not have a forum?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
mackemcobbler
FTM

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 16:41:01 pm »

Cheesy
answer to your question Sunderland who are my main team & i have supported far longer (1974) than the cobblers (1981)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: