The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 01:22:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

If its Wilder..

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If its Wilder..  (Read 9101 times)
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Combination
« on: January 24, 2014, 11:34:16 am »

..which I think is very very likely. What are peoples thoughts?

In a quick summary, mine are that he's *probably* the steady Eddie type that we need right now. 2 managers jobs in over 10 years, and he's never been sacked.

He's never set the world alight but on the flip side, his teams have never ever struggled. Over a long period of time.

Every other 'candidate' seems to have had a boom and bust CV, apart from Wilkin (almost) whose never been tested up until very recently. And even Nuneaton only just stayed up last season.

On reflection, Id be quite happy with this appointment. Whilst it wouldn't excite me, or get the old adrenaline rushing...he will hopefully be the man to get us out of the crap we are in, and with some decent wedge to play with next season...could get us up there or there about's in the promotion places.

We will see. But its not rocket science that he's most likely going to be announced later today if the rumours are anything to go by. On this occasion I think they are...
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

betamax toploader

THAT MONEY WAS THERE FOR OUR CLUB

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 11:38:03 am »

He can do us a real favour, and beat Torquay tomorrow before he leaves.
Report Spam   Logged

To baldly go where no Betamax has gone before...
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 11:40:23 am »

I'm in favour of this appointment  Smiley

Oxford fans seem to agree that he will keep us up, and that's the most important thing. He also has a good win percentage as a manager and I think he will keep us in the league.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 11:47:18 am »

Hmmmm! Can't say i'd get too excited by his appointment, but i'd be relieved that we actually had appointed someone!!

Oxford supporting work colleague complains that his style is boring, trying to grind out results, and it doesn't usually work at home. Often sets up 1 up front which brings more success on the counter when playing away.

Steady Eddie as referred to above.....that seems to sum him up!

Wouldnt mind him bringing Constable and Potter with him though!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
lordjord

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 11:56:17 am »

Personally I wont be particuarly happy. He clearly has not been first choice, otherwise surely we wouldnt of waited 5 weeks to approach him. His negative style of football is reaping the benefits this season but they have fallen away last few seasons when they should really of been making the playoffs. If we want someone to guarantee safety just do a Barnet and get Martin Allen for the rest of the season, then re-assess.

I want to be entertained and Wilder isnt the man for that, although I also want league football, so maybe he is.

Uninspired I think is my general thought.
Report Spam   Logged
Whytewell

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 11:58:49 am »

So Allen would come with a guarantee? Despite his previous record, I think not.

Oh, and it should be 'have', not 'of', jord

regards from the Grammar Police
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 12:02:45 pm »

I can't see why Wilder would want to move to us unless he doesn't think he can get Oxford up (currently 7th). If Oxford allow his contract to run out he would then be in a stronger position to take on a better role than ours.
Report Spam   Logged
lordjord

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 12:04:18 pm »

So Allen would come with a guarantee? Despite his previous record, I think not.

Oh, and it should be 'have', not 'of', jord

regards from the Grammar Police

Allen comes with a better record of firefighting that Wilder, maybe not a guarantee, but based on last few seasons fairly certain I think its fair to say. If it is Wilder hope he brings Jake Wright, would take him every day of the week!
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 12:12:06 pm »

Knowing the Cobblers it will be the original Willy Wonka Gene Wilder with Grossberger as assistant manager
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 12:13:39 pm by Zen Master » Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
MK_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 12:37:14 pm »

I think people can be forgiven for being underwhelmed if Wilder is named. After all he isn’t even the chairman’s 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice…
Report Spam   Logged
phil123

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 12:37:38 pm »

This relegation battle isn't the same as when GJ departed, this isn't a squad that needs picking up off the floor, this isn't a squad that has no confidence. Our situation is purely because we have a personnel shortage for various different reasons. Now we all know what we need and where we need them and that we need to make long term fixes not short term patch ups.

If you look up L2 on here, this worries me about Wilder:
http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/ClubShooting/
...and they have the best defence in the league which is why they are where they are rather than through prolific attacking play.

But what matters more to me is the quality of player the new manager will bring in because it's the quality of signings that has put us in the problem, and it is the quality of signings that will get us out. Now I don't follow Oxford closely enough but is Chris Wilder a shrewdy with bucket loads of contacts who can bring the right people to Sixfields given the "significant sum" DC is providing? That is the criteria by which we should be judging our next manager.

Wilder has used only 22 players in the league this season - second lowest in the division, was average in prior seasons. Couple of current loanees are from Fulham and Reading,  with a couple from Arsenal in recent years having scanned a quick google search. Based on this sort of thing is how we should be rating his chances. I don't have the answer.
Report Spam   Logged
Kingsthorpe Cobbler

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 12:48:08 pm »

I think Chris Wilder would do a good job (if appointed), his managerial record is :-

Alfreton Town - games 48, won 40, drew 5, lost 3 win ratio 83.33%

Halifax Town - games 312, won 120, drew 77, lost 115 win ratio 38.46%

Oxford United - games 268, won 120, drew 70, lost 78 win ratio 44.78%

I think what the above proves is that he isn't a manager that's had lots of clubs, and therefore obviously does a good job at each club. Also, he has never been sacked, this is very unusual in today's game of hiring and firing.         
Report Spam   Logged
Kingsthorpe Cobbler

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 12:54:40 pm »

I think people can be forgiven for being underwhelmed if Wilder is named. After all he isn’t even the chairman’s 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice…

We had two named managers previously in Gary Johnson & Aidy Boothroyd and where did that get us. Maybe it is time to try someone who knows our division and also the non-league scene. 
Report Spam   Logged
Baby Bear

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 13:09:13 pm »

People keep referring to him as negative, but from my memory of the most famous game against his Oxford side, is they battered us for 80 odd minutes, and we scored right from kick off and with the last kick of the game. They certainly didn't look negative that night.
Report Spam   Logged

@Babie_Bear_
lordjord

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 13:15:23 pm »

People keep referring to him as negative, but from my memory of the most famous game against his Oxford side, is they battered us for 80 odd minutes, and we scored right from kick off and with the last kick of the game. They certainly didn't look negative that night.

True, and what a great game that was! But its not his away form that is an issue, they have the best away record in the league I think. But to see the fans are not a fan of the football at home is an understatement.
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 13:17:05 pm »

Maybe not exciting on a "name" basis but we have to be realistic don't we? Mourinho or Guardiola will not be coming to Sixfields any time soon.

In the context of League 2 though, if he comes in, is financially backed and brings in decent players and gets us out of the crap, then what's not to like?

In any case, it tends to be players that excite me, not managers
Report Spam   Logged
Tyler

Back when we were good...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 13:26:02 pm »

I don't give a rats arse whether he's entertaining, boring or whatever. If he turns us into a winning, successful team (which his track record suggests he will) then I'm all behind him.
Report Spam   Logged
wrigleys

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 13:26:20 pm »

He was great in See No Evil, Hear No Evil
Report Spam   Logged

Intravenous real ale at Sixfields. Make it happen
cobbler150

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 13:29:26 pm »

Errrr forgive me? why Drillingcobbler does it see very very likely then? Would be very happy with this however it seems to me too good
Report Spam   Logged
A view from the east

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 13:43:32 pm »

Think Wilder would be very good for us if he came to Sixfields , however you have to question his mental state for actually wanting to.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: