The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 00:30:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

If its Wilder..

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If its Wilder..  (Read 9100 times)
memyhead

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 13:54:41 pm »

100% support from me if appointed...

Currently best away record in the league I think...

Not expecting any miracles as he can't dramatically overhaul the current squad (which is realistically what's needed)

If we do drop, than at least he has the experience & know-how of what's needed, to get back into the league...

Personally don't think ANY manager we appoint now can be blamed if we get relegated, due to the squad he'll have to work with....thanks ADB!  Angry

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 13:56:16 pm by memyhead » Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 14:23:25 pm »

So Allen would come with a guarantee? Despite his previous record, I think not.

Oh, and it should be 'have', not 'of', jord

regards from the Grammar Police

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
kingsleycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 14:50:44 pm »

obviously its not my choice but i wouldnt get excited at all with this wilder chappy, i remember him as a player and he was forgetable ( no bearing on management )  hasnt set the world alight anywhere and i dont want another boring football type manager
does he has the contacts/know how to bring the players we need ??
id prefer AK i think

seems like DC spinning more pipedreams and " ill get it sorted " and in the end getting who he can and not who he wants ( feels very AB and cobblers in general )

are we really going to have another dose of hoof ball ?? still its about staying up eh

if he comes in he will have my support but i wouldnt be jumping for joy as it were
Report Spam   Logged
j20cobbler

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 14:59:50 pm »

Think DC is gonna waste another shed load of his money in appointing Wilder. Won't be able to do any better than AK at this late stage in Jan. Should have given AK job in early Jan if this is the best alternative. At least then we could have been able to recruit some permanents of the quality of Norris etc.
Need to stay up but If what I hear of his style of play is correct, then I fear we are down.
Report Spam   Logged
Kingsthorpe Cobbler

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 15:11:57 pm »

Think DC is gonna waste another shed load of his money in appointing Wilder. Won't be able to do any better than AK at this late stage in Jan. Should have given AK job in early Jan if this is the best alternative. At least then we could have been able to recruit some permanents of the quality of Norris etc.
Need to stay up but If what I hear of his style of play is correct, then I fear we are down.

Are you Andy King's son, I still struggle to work out where you have all this faith in Andy King from. He has been out of management for at least a decade, and the last few jobs he's had have been scouting jobs, until Boothroyd appointed him Assistant.

Andy King himself has admitted players no longer know him, and he's previously stated that he feels 'drained' and that he is a 'dinosaur'. These all add up to being a good choice of manager, yes ?         
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 15:23:02 pm by Kingsthorpe Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 18:56:16 pm »

Are you Andy King's son, I still struggle to work out where you have all this faith in Andy King from. He has been out of management for at least a decade, and the last few jobs he's had have been scouting jobs, until Boothroyd appointed him Assistant.

Andy King himself has admitted players no longer know him, and he's previously stated that he feels 'drained' and that he is a 'dinosaur'. These all add up to being a good choice of manager, yes ?         

Andy King is a character, knows a thing or two about football but belongs to a different era - if in charge for a full season we would be be going nowhere (down or up) because he has considerably more management, coaching and probably most important,communication skill than AB but he is not a manager for the future or possibly even to keep us up - reading his cv, and talking to some Oxford fans Wilder might just tick both boxes - he gets my vote.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 20:42:57 pm »

So Allen would come with a guarantee? Despite his previous record, I think not.

Oh, and it should be 'have', not 'of', jord

regards from the Grammar Police

Er...no! There's nothing wrong with using the modal/ semi-modal in the past simple (used correctly) as the approach is a finished action. You are inferring (are you?) that the Present Perfect Aspect should have been employed (thus have) as the action is recent or the modal (should) with 'have' to express criticism. Correct, but in this instance not obligatory as 'of' would suffice!

Regards, Real (DELTA'd) Grammar Police!

Oh and Everbrite...it's you're...not your (in most of your cases!)  Grin
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 20:46:17 pm by Coolcat » Report Spam   Logged
SBJ

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 20:44:45 pm »

If it's Wilder, is this part of the deal?

Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 20:48:19 pm »

If it's Wilder, is this part of the deal?

Not in your Wilderest dreams fella!  Wink

Edit: Just watched 30 seconds of that vid...absolutely shocking! How many seconds would old Cowelly give her (singing ability  Grin) Moldova or Romania?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 20:57:28 pm by Coolcat » Report Spam   Logged
SBJ

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 20:54:01 pm »

Well ok, fair enough!

I'd settle for just Chris Wilder (as manager I mean) - seems to have done well without great resources, and while I never enjoy watching Oxford they do generally do ok. Can't quite see how that would make Wilder our long-term ideal, but for now short-term is all that really matters and he seems a good bet for that.
Report Spam   Logged
Gazman

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 21:03:58 pm »

He is an ex player as we'll albeit a short loan back in 1998 ish I think
Report Spam   Logged
Gibbo

View Profile
Level 5 Windows User Combination
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 21:32:39 pm »

Er...no! There's nothing wrong with using the modal/ semi-modal in the past simple (used correctly) as the approach is a finished action. You are inferring (are you?) that the Present Perfect Aspect should have been employed (thus have) as the action is recent or the modal (should) with 'have' to express criticism. Correct, but in this instance not obligatory as 'of' would suffice!

Just a cadet in the grammar police...but when I went to the Grammar school you got the cane for using "should of"...because it is wrong.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 21:43:06 pm »

Quite correct your honour. But hope you have the balls to caution all those on here  - that is the Big Timers.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Montgomery Eypoke III

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 22:00:55 pm »

When they mentioned a League 2 manager yesterday I immediately thought of Wilder (due to recent betting), not Edinburgh.

I have to say I was unimpressed at the prospect. However the more you look at it the better his record does seem overall and I am increasingly in favour.

My biggest concern was that he has had two or three seasons in this division now and not even made the play offs once, with my perception that he has been well backed financially. To me this is a real concern.

However, his win ratio ( if correct) is pretty impressive. The fact he has never been sacked is frankly stunning. And actually in spite of three seasons of failed/ failing promotion bids most supporters are actually pretty positive about him. Even those who would like him to move on seem to be more of the "a fresh approach would help" school of thought, rather than the "this bloke hasn't got a f@cking clue" mentality.

He obviously has something about him and I am increasingly warming to what I am led to believe is a deal that has been agreed and will be happening.
Report Spam   Logged
Montgomery Eypoke III

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 22:10:59 pm »

Now being told (about six minutes after posting)  it could go one way the other. FFS!
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 22:22:40 pm »

Just a cadet in the grammar police...but when I went to the Grammar school you got the cane for using "should of"...because it is wrong.

Yes a cadet...biggest no no in the world of grammar is to try and pigeon hole and make 'rules' in black and white terms and say something is 'wrong' - however tempting it might be!...Michael Lewis would ave ad your teacher's guts for garters!  Wink

Back on track...Wilder's use of the language will have us all in despair!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 22:26:23 pm by Coolcat » Report Spam   Logged
Adam-NTFC

View Profile
Windows User
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 22:41:53 pm »

I'd rather be flirting with the playoffs every season than in a relegation battle!
if it's Wider, he'll have my full backing, as does any manager who fancies the challenge of taking us on
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2016
APassingYellow

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 23:39:59 pm »

Morning! Oxford fan here wandering past while waiting for the rain to stop.

So you're sniffing around our boss eh? Here's the skinny for you:

What will we get
A no nonsense football manager who knows how to win games at this level. Your relegation worries will be a thing of the past.

What's his history?
When he came in, we were just about as desperate as could be - a succession of terrible owners and underinvestment, with crazy managers appointed via the friend of a friend system. We were 13th in the Conference and going downwards. He turned it around and won 15 of the remaining 21 matches - we were only kept out of the playoffs by a dodgy point deduction (if you think the administration of the Football League is bad, try the next level down). The next season we led the whole way through until the last few weeks when we dropped into the playoffs, but that resulted in a fantastic Wembley win over York. Since then, we've never looked even close to trouble in League Two, and nearly made the playoffs the last two years.

So you'll be sad to see him go, right?
It's an odd thing - there's no chance that he'd be sacked, although missing the playoffs after heavy investment last year came close to it, and resulted in a one-year 'promotion or you're out' contract - this is presumably why he's talking to other clubs (and be aware that it might just be a ploy to force our chairman's hand...) I think a lot of fans think that if he were to go, we'd probably be able to attract someone better, but it's very much better the devil you know.

What are the bad points then?
Several, which is unsurprising, since if he was brilliant he'd be managing higher up. He has a terrible eye for buying players, so if you are going to give him money, you must put a very robust scouting outfit between him and the purse strings, or he'll just hose your cash away on dross. He also has a tendency to have players go in and out of favour with him, which can lead to sticking with someone out of form for too long. Until his latest contract, he steadfastly refused to play any of the youth team, even in dead rubbers or the paint tin trophy, preferring to dip into the loan market - and again, his dodgy eye for a 'bargain' player cost us a few matches and pounds. He has a reputation as a tinkerer, and for sticking with formations that don't suit the players and don't get results, although it's blown out of proportion by some of the more moany Yellows.

Overall, third longest serving manager in the league speaks for itself, and you'll be fine with him in charge. We'll wave him off with a fond farewell and memories of that promotion season, but we'll be hoping for someone to replace him who has a 'level' maybe a league higher.

Hope you don't mind me dropping by, and that the above is quite fair and balanced!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 23:43:09 pm by APassingYellow » Report Spam   Logged
TownOwl

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 23:57:01 pm »

Thanks Yellow, this is helpful.

The purse strings bit worries me a lot. The last two managers weren't great at choosing players.
I'd prefer a manager like Gray that brings in good players, than a manager that gets the best out of poorer signings. Was kinda hoping for someone that could do both, is it really too much to ask?
Report Spam   Logged

Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2014, 06:45:40 am »

Thanks, interesting read
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023