The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 09:39:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Time for Tozer

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for Tozer  (Read 3695 times)
southofthecounty

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 09:43:11 am »

To accommodate Tozer, I'd play three centre-backs, let McSweeney and Widdowson attack down the wings, Carter & Ravenhill in the centre with Sinclair and Connell up top and Hackett playing where the hell he likes. Something like this
Duke
Doumbe - Tozer - Diamond
McSweeney - Ravenhill - Carter - Widdowson
Hackett
Sinclair - Connell

Then any throw-ins that can be sent into the box I'd bring all three centre-backs up and leave the two full backs to cover for break aways.
But isn't one of those three centre backs taking the throw? I know Ben is quick but...............
Could have worked if you had have put Morris in the team.
Report Spam   Logged
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 09:48:55 am »

if Tozer is the answer then what the question. Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 10:42:29 am »

Do you think it's through choice?
Partly. I appreciate I am being a little unfair to CW as I know he's probably trying to recruit in this area. He's only had a week or so without Marquis so this is a mitigating factor. But AB tried to plug the gap with Toney for weeks on end and I reckon that may have cost us somewhere in the region of 5-10 points - which I'm sure no-one needs reminding would have made a huge difference in our current outlook. I can't believe that there is no-one available to play the role even if a few of them are the Bas Savages of this world.
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
lordjord

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 11:00:18 am »

Partly. I appreciate I am being a little unfair to CW as I know he's probably trying to recruit in this area. He's only had a week or so without Marquis so this is a mitigating factor. But AB tried to plug the gap with Toney for weeks on end and I reckon that may have cost us somewhere in the region of 5-10 points - which I'm sure no-one needs reminding would have made a huge difference in our current outlook. I can't believe that there is no-one available to play the role even if a few of them are the Bas Savages of this world.

Jacob Blyth? He was effective in his first spell and played the big man role well. Playing for Leicester Youth ATM I beleive.

I really wanted to see Bas Savage score so I could see his dance. Sadly I forgot Bas Savage is awful and dyes his hair more than he scores.
Report Spam   Logged
j20cobbler

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 11:17:20 am »

To accommodate Tozer, I'd play three centre-backs, let McSweeney and Widdowson attack down the wings, Carter & Ravenhill in the centre with Sinclair and Connell up top and Hackett playing where the hell he likes. Something like this
Duke
Doumbe - Tozer - Diamond
Hackett
Sinclair - Connell

Then any throw-ins that can be sent into the box I'd bring all three centre-backs up and leave the two full backs to cover for break aways.
with what we have, that's not a bad option for me. I think you could swap Dickenson for McSweeney playing that way as a further option.
Report Spam   Logged
j20cobbler

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 11:32:46 am »

Absolutely light years behind Diamond.
we'll have to disagree. Diamond is a typical no nonsense league two centreback although he wasn't considered good enough to start at Burton. At the moment I do agree he is working for us.
Tozer has the potential to be something different and better. I think most people would have been thinking so after his debut at Anfield.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 17:29:03 pm »

Duke
Doumbe - Tozer - Diamond
Hackett
Sinclair - Connell

I agree, we have some great times playing 3-5-2 in the past, I would like to see it again.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2014, 18:05:48 pm »

All those changes to suit Tozer seems a tad rash to me at this stage of the season. An experiment for pre-season IMO.

If Diamond is fit I'd leave the defence as it is (we haven't conceded many with him playing).

On the basis of the last 2 home games we either don't offer a threat going forward at home (possibly different away when the onus isn't so much on us to attack) or we need new blood in the creative midfielder area or/and (as others have said) an old fashioned Centre Forward to get on the end of things, create havoc, hold the ball up.
Report Spam   Logged
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2014, 18:12:32 pm »

until Tuesday the defending wasn't the problem. its the lack of creativity and scoring goals. Tozer is not the answer. Wilder hasn't played him and for all his effort and long throws etc he brings little else to the party.      
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2014, 20:13:47 pm »

we'll have to disagree. Diamond is a typical no nonsense league two centreback although he wasn't considered good enough to start at Burton.

Tozer is a typical league two centre back who isn't considered good enough to start for a team second bottom.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
John

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2014, 20:28:25 pm »

Well I thought Tozer has played very well when given the chance since he came back from Colchester and is unfortunate not to have been involved in the last few games. Had he played against Rochdale we'd have been guaranteed more balls reaching the penalty area. What would have happened then is anybodies guess. The formation I suggested is not more defence minded at all, it allows the full backs more freedom to attack and gives our most gifted player the chance to roam and discover where he can do the most damage. We do not score enough goals, we need to find a way of changing that. Just sticking to what we have is not the answer.
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2014, 20:30:21 pm »

He runs up and down the touchline well...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
j20cobbler

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2014, 21:08:36 pm »

Tozer is a typical league two centre back who isn't considered good enough to start for a team second bottom.
It's all about opinions. I was very surprised he didnt get on second half Tuesday. It would have been a straight like for like replacement at a time we were only one nil down with half the game remaining. That tells me Tozer is not a real consideration for CW.
It's the way the game works. The most obvious example of that is Platt over Akinfenwa.
Report Spam   Logged
Montgomery Eypoke III

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2014, 22:16:15 pm »

I think most people would have been thinking so after his debut at Anfield.

When he completely air kicked for their first goal.
Report Spam   Logged
j20cobbler

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2014, 08:23:50 am »

When he completely air kicked for their first goal.
It was a mistake but anything but an air kick. He was actually tight on Liverpool's centre forward when he went to cut out a pass meant for Liverpool's left wing who had got ahead of of our right back. He misjudged the pace of the pass. Watch it again and you might agree. Other than that he played faultlessly having been drafted in on loan hours before. This against premier league opposition, importantly on a good surface, and in a winning side.
 If I was looking to criticize our current central defenders and ignoring tuesday, I wouldn't need to look beyond the last two goals conceded against Mansfield and Sc***horpe.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2014, 09:56:47 am »

Jacob Blyth? He was effective in his first spell and played the big man role well. Playing for Leicester Youth ATM I beleive.

utter garbage player.

lazy and slow as well, plus, we would have to invest in more treacle for him to run in
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2014, 14:32:20 pm »

utter garbage player.

lazy and slow as well, plus, we would have to invest in more treacle for him to run in
Are you sure your not getting him mixed up with Clive Platt  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
Montgomery Eypoke III

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2014, 23:29:40 pm »

It was a mistake but anything but an air kick. He was actually tight on Liverpool's centre forward when he went to cut out a pass meant for Liverpool's left wing who had got ahead of of our right back. He misjudged the pace of the pass. Watch it again and you might agree. Other than that he played faultlessly having been drafted in on loan hours before. This against premier league opposition, importantly on a good surface, and in a winning side.
 If I was looking to criticize our current central defenders and ignoring tuesday, I wouldn't need to look beyond the last two goals conceded against Mansfield and S****horpe.

That's a very long way to go about saying he gave away the first goal.

This is harsh on him but true. He hasn't got a best position. He has since had countless opportunities at centre back and it does not work. Most recently against Fleetwood when he yet again dithered, tried to overplay it and then got beaten for strength and ended up on his arris to let them in for a goal that cost us the game.

He's not a full back and he's most definitely not a central midfielder either.

He can throw it a long way and he is a 110 percenter, but he is not the answer.
Report Spam   Logged
j20cobbler

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2014, 00:55:12 am »

That's a very long way to go about saying he gave away the first goal.

This is harsh on him but true. He hasn't got a best position. He has since had countless opportunities at centre back and it does not work. Most recently against Fleetwood when he yet again dithered, tried to overplay it and then got beaten for strength and ended up on his arris to let them in for a goal that cost us the game.

He's not a full back and he's most definitely not a central midfielder either.

He can throw it a long way and he is a 110 percenter, but he is not the answer.
No it's not...so you watched it back and we disagree. You still think it was an airkick and no one else was at fault. That's ok then.
For Zander to be light years ahead of Tozer he would have to be quality, and I'm afraid he's not that for me, he's league two.
I wasn't at Fleetwood but I was at Sc***horpe and Mansfield, what can I say?
The throws have nothing to do with it.
Tozer's best position is at centreback, and as I've already said, Willder doesn't fancy him.

Report Spam   Logged
John

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2014, 14:22:35 pm »

In case anybody is unsure, I am NOT Chris Wilder.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: