The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 01:24:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Portsmouth (h) The most important game since 1993.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portsmouth (h) The most important game since 1993.  (Read 8813 times)
Baby Bear

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2014, 13:29:24 pm »

Ian Gilzean would've buried that header! As would just about any other usual forward we've had down the years, Patmore, Cooper, Stamp.etc.etc. Probably even Constantine.
Report Spam   Logged

@Babie_Bear_
DuncanSpeddingsLeftFoot

« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2014, 13:30:15 pm »

Ian Gilzean would've buried that header! As would just about any other usual forward we've had down the years, Patmore, Cooper, Stamp.etc.etc. Probably even Constantine.

Cooper would still be celebrating now!
Report Spam   Logged
Razor

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2014, 13:32:15 pm »

Cooper would still be celebrating now!

As would we all! Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2014, 13:33:32 pm »

Alan Knill said in post match interview that they hadn't yet but were going to speak to Sinclair to find out what happened and if there was any interference that caused him to miss it.
Easy, he closed his eyes....
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Baby Bear

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2014, 13:34:11 pm »

Or Petr Mikolanda, think he's still celebrating the 'goal' he scored for Rushden at sixfields!  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

@Babie_Bear_
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2014, 16:01:30 pm »

Saw Paul Merson and Colin Calderwood deep in conversation (or avoiding the attention of the minnions) on the West Stand concourse as we were leaving.  Must be a rumour that can be started there, no?   Cool
Report Spam   Logged

TbananaG

« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2014, 18:00:53 pm »

I actually said at HT that Bayo would have buried that header!

That's so true that it's really sad....
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2014, 18:02:39 pm »

Saw Paul Merson and Colin Calderwood deep in conversation (or avoiding the attention of the minnions) on the West Stand concourse as we were leaving.  Must be a rumour that can be started there, no?   Cool

An ex-Pompey player and an ex-Cobblers manager who were team mates at Villa. Doubt there were any other reasons why they were there and why they were having a chat.
Report Spam   Logged

guest1269

« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2014, 18:46:34 pm »

That was very hard to take today. We dominated for 70 minutes but why oh why didn't we come out of the blocks like that? Would have got at least a draw then... Crowd were brilliant backing the team - haven't heard noise like that at Sixfields for a very long time. Everyone except Sinclair tried their best but we just can't put the thing in the net and that is very worrying. ANOTHER golden opportunity to climb out of the bottom 2 wasted and now I fear the worst.

And on the subject of Sinclair I have defended him to the hilt until the last week or so but after that 'performance' today (and that miss in particular) he needs to be put out to pasture. He may have been a half decent player at some stage in some place but he sure as hell ain't here and we must find a way out of that ridiculous contract we agreed to pay money for him in the summer - that would be another catastrophe. Toney to start up front any day of the week.

Honest assessment there Razor - we had a minor one post spat on the subject of Sinclair a while ago - certainly not about be proven right but as we fight for our very existence if I go back 100 years I know who I wouldn't want in the trenches with me............
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #149 on: April 23, 2014, 09:02:38 am »

Not a point thats gone totally un-missed but its certainly gone under the radar...

WE LOST 1-0 TO A LEAGUE 2 RESERVE TEAM...and a bottom half league2 reserve team at that. And couldn't even score a goal.

And that was my biggest frustration by far. Imagine if we'd dropped 8 players from the team who played against Wycombe and what sort of team we had of put out! And thats by far the biggest concern for me.

Yes we dominated. Yes we tried hard. And yes, we played some decent football at times. But that Pompey side had never played together before! It wasn't the 'form team' that Knill said it was during his interview. Downright spin.

So if we play like that on Saturday, expect a tougher opponent. And then ask yourself, will it be enough to see D&R off? I doubt it somehow.

Marquis and Langers to start up top, and Tozer to throw everything into the box at those 2 plus Diamond (assuming he's fit). Play for set pieces. Hit it long at two players who CAN win the high balls. And then review the situation at half time. Which is what I wanted us to do on Monday...

This team CANNOT play football. It CANNOT create chances against reasonable league2 opposition by playing ball to feet. BUT it CAN be a nuisance at set pieces. If Wilder goes with Marquis and Connell (even he surely won't pick Sinclair again) then Im turning the radio off.

Im sick of the w ankers. Fcuk am I going on Saturday and wasting another shed load of money. This season cannot finish quickly enough.

Rant over!
Report Spam   Logged
j20cobbler

« Reply #150 on: April 23, 2014, 09:33:47 am »

Why is there no thread about Dagenham being the biggest match since the last one and only a thread about tickets and trains...?
I don't think we need to play hoofball extreme like Monday, provided Dagenham turn up and play as the home side to win. We've played much better away generally since the change of manager. We could start with Hackett and Marquis as strikers and Morris and Dickenson wide. Lopez and Toney on the bench.
If that isn't working at halftime then we put Langemead and/or Diamond up front and hit everything long.
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 23, 2014, 10:21:10 am »

Not a point thats gone totally un-missed but its certainly gone under the radar...

WE LOST 1-0 TO A LEAGUE 2 RESERVE TEAM...and a bottom half league2 reserve team at that. And couldn't even score a goal.

And that was my biggest frustration by far. Imagine if we'd dropped 8 players from the team who played against Wycombe and what sort of team we had of put out! And thats by far the biggest concern for me.

Yes we dominated. Yes we tried hard. And yes, we played some decent football at times. But that Pompey side had never played together before! It wasn't the 'form team' that Knill said it was during his interview. Downright spin.

So if we play like that on Saturday, expect a tougher opponent. And then ask yourself, will it be enough to see D&R off? I doubt it somehow.

Marquis and Langers to start up top, and Tozer to throw everything into the box at those 2 plus Diamond (assuming he's fit). Play for set pieces. Hit it long at two players who CAN win the high balls. And then review the situation at half time. Which is what I wanted us to do on Monday...

This team CANNOT play football. It CANNOT create chances against reasonable league2 opposition by playing ball to feet. BUT it CAN be a nuisance at set pieces. If Wilder goes with Marquis and Connell (even he surely won't pick Sinclair again) then Im turning the radio off.

Im sick of the w ankers. Fcuk am I going on Saturday and wasting another shed load of money. This season cannot finish quickly enough.

Rant over!

The only problem when Langmead came on: It was Toney who was continually flicking the ball on for Langers to chase. If that role had been reversed we may have gotten somewhere.
Report Spam   Logged
John

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2014, 10:17:43 am »

Just catching up after my weekend away and I have to say from the highlights we looked quite impressive against Pompey. Certainly more attacking flair than I've witnessed at Sixfields for a while. If the highlights are a true reflection of the game, I'd say we should have won it.
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2014, 10:50:57 am »

We probably should, but a combination of poor finishing, an air shot header and their goalkeeper frustrated us....  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

bri77

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2014, 11:06:46 am »

I'd nearly forgotten the Sinclair moment Sad thanks for reminding me again lol
Report Spam   Logged
mackemcobbler
FTM

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2014, 12:18:10 pm »

Just catching up after my weekend away and I have to say from the highlights we looked quite impressive against Pompey. Certainly more attacking flair than I've witnessed at Sixfields for a while. If the highlights are a true reflection of the game, I'd say we should have won it.
it was not that good
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2014, 14:53:48 pm »

If it's free kicks you want. then play Toney. Goes down quicker than Rebecca. But very convincing.
Report Spam   Logged
j20cobbler

« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2014, 17:18:49 pm »

We hoofed it long and pressed well against a second string Pompey and should have got something out of the game, but there was very little in the way of 'attacking flair' I'm afraid.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2014, 20:26:48 pm »

I've just watched the lowlights of the game and at the risk of annoying all on here there was a Portsmouth defender between Sinclair and the ball for the non-header. I have to say I think the free header for Marquis in the second half was the worst miss of the game.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2014, 20:29:44 pm »

I was sat directly behind the cross, he could see it all of the way and closed his eyes.
Although Marquis's free header was bad I agree, it was offside.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: