The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 04:00:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

I miss.......

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I miss.......  (Read 2260 times)
TheBigPicture

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2010, 17:32:36 pm »

I would have thought his two goals at Bolton which provided us with an away win against a Premiership club push him towards being a legend. Also that he was so well loved by the fans. Not quite in the Grayson cult mode, but not far off.

No, because certain people have short memories, bitter and sad i'm afraid.
Report Spam   Logged
ArmchairCobbler81

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2010, 17:35:28 pm »

It seems both strange and offensive to describe fellow supporters as 'retards'.

I agree, I work with people with "learning disabilities" on a daily basis and they'd be horrified being put into the same box as some of the idiots that we have to put up with on a Saturday afternoon at Sixfields!
 Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
TheBigPicture

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2010, 17:36:17 pm »

Bayo thought he could possibly get a better deal at a League One or Championship club, or find a club closer to his family in South London, so wanted to check that out before commiting to another couple of seasons with us. Either way he would have been doing what's right by his family, which you can't argue with really. We chose to withdraw the offer so we had plenty of notice to get another player in.

No, we don't owe him anything but by the same score he owes us nothing. We paid him handsomely and arguably rescued his career and he rewarded us by being our most prolific striker since the County Ground days. I'm not just going to clap him mindlessly like a seal tomorrow like the "retards" you refer to Tyler, or give him any more backing than any of our current players, but he will get a cheer from me when his name is read out before kick-off and the more abuse he gets from the equally "retarded" morons that boo him, the louder I will cheer. Okay with you?

Absolutely spot on.
Report Spam   Logged
fatblokecobbler

We all follow the cobblers.................

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2010, 17:38:58 pm »

Quote from: Chamois
, it was always done through the agent.
[/quote
What i cant get my head around is that footballers these days need someone to negotiate a wage for them and then have to pay this person some of that money.
Is it strange or are footballers all to dumb to do it themselves?
Report Spam   Logged

"She stripped to the beat but her clothes stay on."
ArmchairCobbler81

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2010, 17:46:56 pm »

No, because certain people have short memories, bitter and sad i'm afraid.

I totally disagree. I don't agree with booing an ex player (unless it's Gilbert) but fans are allowed their opinions and some, including me, are slightly cynical about players and their cliches when it comes to "wanting to move closer to the family"

Is that why he was on trial at Aberdeen?

"certain people have short memories"
Report Spam   Logged
HighamCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2010, 18:01:19 pm »

Legend-No
He is a player that (in my humble opinion) gave some good performances whilst in a claret shirt and his only crime was wanting to play at a higher level which surely should be commended as it shows he has ambition and isnt content with coasting in this crap league, ie James Quinn,Leon Constantine et al!!

Every fan is entitled to an opinion,otherwise sites like this wouldnt exist, but to label others 'morons' just because their opinion is different to your own seems a bit narrow minded.
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2010, 18:04:59 pm »

I totally disagree. I don't agree with booing an ex player (unless it's Gilbert) but fans are allowed their opinions and some, including me, are slightly cynical about players and their cliches when it comes to "wanting to move closer to the family"

Is that why he was on trial at Aberdeen?

"certain people have short memories"

He was never on trial at Aberdeen. He had offers on the table from Aberdeen and another SPL club (rumoured to be Hibs) but was training with Leyton Orient, and what he said to the Press at the time was that he'd consider those SPL options if he couldn't get a deal with Orient or another club in his area of similar stature. In the end he did find one (Gillingham) so he didn't need to uproot his family. He could probably have got more money at Aberdeen so it's naive to suggest he was motivated by money and money alone.
Report Spam   Logged

Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2010, 18:47:50 pm »

Absolutely right. Scored a few goals in two or three injury hit seasons

Tommy Fowler, Billy Best, Peter Gleasure, Richard Hill, Phil Chard, Ian Sampson, Ray Warburton. These guys are, to name but a few, proper Cobblers legends. Bayo Akinfenwa? Not even close to their league

How many goals did Gleasure score?

Remember first day of the season at St. James Park, Exeter, back in 84...C'mon Pete, do your best...said me the little boy....check stats for result, if you doņ't remember! Grin

Do think a lot of you mix up 'legend' with longevity!
Report Spam   Logged
Marvo

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2010, 19:06:41 pm »

In truth, Gleasure was no more than average, played his part but I've seen many, many better keepers turn out for us. For you youngsters I'd say he was no better than Dunn or Harper and nowhere near as good as Bunn, Starling, Harvey to mention but three.

Back to Akinfenwa, the time to remember him with fondness is after he hangs up his boots, then we can look back with affection. Certainly not now when his sole ambition tomorrow will be to see us crashing to the bottom of the football league!

Note to knowall NTFc***: Akinfenwa was more than happy to go to Swansea before the deal fell through so don't give us all that loyalty and closeness to family crap.
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2010, 21:06:03 pm »

The Ox wanted to play at a higher level..He is, they're above us aren't they???
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
guest47

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2010, 21:13:49 pm »

Note to knowall NTFc***: Akinfenwa was more than happy to go to Swansea before the deal fell through so don't give us all that loyalty and closeness to family crap.

We were also more than happy to take the money on offer and practically shoved him into the car on that legendary trip down the M4. Loyalty works both ways.
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2010, 21:17:02 pm »

Going back to Swansea would have been a return to another club where he was happy and had a good rapport with the fans, plus a chance to play two divisions higher alongside, and against, far superior players, plus the obvious money factor. As for "knowall" (think you mean "know-it-all"), well how hypocritical, are you honestly lecturing me on respecting other people's opinions and not taking my own word as gospel?
Report Spam   Logged

Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2010, 00:48:12 am »

In truth, Gleasure was no more than average, played his part but I've seen many, many better keepers turn out for us. For you youngsters I'd say he was no better than Dunn or Harper and nowhere near as good as Bunn, Starling, Harvey to mention but three.

Back to Akinfenwa, the time to remember him with fondness is after he hangs up his boots, then we can look back with affection. Certainly not now when his sole ambition tomorrow will be to see us crashing to the bottom of the football league!

Totally agree..though can't comment on Starling or Harvey first hand! Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Marvo

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2010, 03:18:51 am »

As for "knowall" (think you mean "know-it-all"), well how hypocritical, are you honestly lecturing me on respecting other people's opinions and not taking my own word as gospel?

Of course I am, you pronounce on here on every subject likes its a fact, when all you're doing is repeating things you've read on the internet. You don't know anything you've said for sure, it's just what you "Think"!

PS: As for "NTFC Nut" (think you mean NTF c***). I may have spelt that last bit wrong.
Report Spam   Logged
Marvo

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2010, 03:22:45 am »

We were also more than happy to take the money on offer and practically shoved him into the car on that legendary trip down the M4. Loyalty works both ways.

Why do we have to be loyal, my boss isn't "loyal" to me. He pays my wages, I do a job for him, that's it. You lot really need to see this for what it is, a business.
Report Spam   Logged
SteveRiches

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2010, 08:32:13 am »

The relationship between Cobblers and Bayo was symbiotic. We helped him recover his body to a reasonable degree and paid him a good wage while still being prepared to let him off lots of training and to wrap him in cotton wool as much as possible. He, in turn, did his best to get his ravaged body moving, score some goals for us, and make nice noises such as giving us his love etc. etc.
However, he didn't put in a long enough shift here to become a "legend" and didn't love us enough to take a reasonable offer of re-employment. On balance, although I like the bloke a lot and have respect for his excellent ability in front of goal, and for his wish to keep his battered body going against the odds, we are better off without him because our style of play had to revolve around playing to him being in the side, not the other way round.
Report Spam   Logged
DustCobb

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2010, 08:35:28 am »

The relationship between Cobblers and Bayo was symbiotic. We helped him recover his body to a reasonable degree and paid him a good wage while still being prepared to let him off lots of training and to wrap him in cotton wool as much as possible. He, in turn, did his best to get his ravaged body moving, score some goals for us, and make nice noises such as giving us his love etc. etc.
However, he didn't put in a long enough shift here to become a "legend" and didn't love us enough to take a reasonable offer of re-employment. On balance, although I like the bloke a lot and have respect for his excellent ability in front of goal, and for his wish to keep his battered body going against the odds, we are better off without him because our style of play had to revolve around playing to him being in the side, not the other way round.

Probably the most reasoned yet, sums it up nicely.
Report Spam   Logged
Marvo

« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2010, 17:14:47 pm »

McGleish 43 in 120. Then I think that makes Bayo our most successful goals per game striker since the County Ground, doesn't it?

No.

Leon McKenzie.
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2010, 17:16:41 pm »

Ahhh, the washed up McKenzie. Whatever happened to him?
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
EastNpton

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2010, 17:17:53 pm »

Bayo was well controlled by the Cobbs defence today (especially Hall)...congrats
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: