The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 12:55:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Football matches I have attended as a neutral

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Football matches I have attended as a neutral  (Read 2167 times)
Bingers

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« on: July 26, 2014, 08:14:23 am »

A thread for going to see random matches as a neutral.

Last night I went to see a friendly between Sochaux and Metz, held in Mulhouse, an hour from Sochaux and two and a half hours from Metz.  Metz won the French League 2 last season and were promoted to League 1.  Sochaux finished 18th in League 1 and should have been relegated, but due to some financial difficulties at Lens, might get a stay of execution, but League 2 starts next weekend and it hasn't been resolved.

The match was a bit crap - lots of falling over by the players when touched by a feather, followed by rolling around.  Metz scored first.  Sochaux scored two late goals.

Our team from most of last season would have been challenged by them.  The team from the last day of last season would have beaten them.  This season's team would trounce them.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

New Dawn Fades

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 09:26:29 am »

Went to Brazil vs Turkey in a friendly at Dortmund whilst in Germany. think it was 2007?

0-0 average game. Turkey fans mental, Loads of flares and noise and the ground was only a third full.

Just found some footage.

Report Spam   Logged

Can of Strongbow, Im a mess
Poggy

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 16:16:23 pm »

I went to watch Austria vs Turkey in a friendly as the game took place whilst I was in Vienna (although the scenes with the Turkish fans and the local riot police were anything but friendly). As our flight was delayed we were late arriving at the stadium and it took ages queuing up to get tickets so we missed the only 2 goals of the game. Then I realised they were only serving non alcoholic beer inside the ground so I left shortly after the 2nd half had begun.

Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 19:23:57 pm »

Tromso il Vs Olimpia Ljubljana

Slovenians were f***ing lunatics, me and this french lad had to back out of a pub as a crowed was gathering as rumors spread that we were Norwegian
Report Spam   Logged

Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 22:02:19 pm »

A thread for going to see random matches as a neutral.

Last night I went to see a friendly between Sochaux and Metz, held in Mulhouse, an hour from Sochaux and two and a half hours from Metz.  Metz won the French League 2 last season and were promoted to League 1.  Sochaux finished 18th in League 1 and should have been relegated, but due to some financial difficulties at Lens, might get a stay of execution, but League 2 starts next weekend and it hasn't been resolved.

The match was a bit crap - lots of falling over by the players when touched by a feather, followed by rolling around.  Metz scored first.  Sochaux scored two late goals.

Our team from most of last season would have been challenged by them.  The team from the last day of last season would have beaten them.  This season's team would trounce them.

Funny that, Sochaux and Metz were two teams I kinda 'adopted' from France years ago...though now I think it'd have to be St.Etienne.
Think Sochaux fans themselves can be blown down with a feather from what I can gather...Metz Section Groually (or something!) are a tougher proposition!
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 22:12:23 pm »

Too many to mention to be honest...but some of those where I've really thought "what the fcuk am I doing here?"

Arsenal v Tottenham (reserves) 84...couldn't get into WHL for Tottenham v Chelsea...all ticket (rare in those days - mass riots not so!!!) Had been Tranmere v Cobblers the night before...midnight train from Lime St.

QPR v Villa (same day as above...eventful w/e...4 well almost games two days!)

Southport v Marine 85 after being at Liverpool v Leicester City in the morning...don't ask!

Derby v Tranmere (couldn't make Rotherham v Cobbs after work)

...and a million Leicester City games, though not strictly neutral...I hated them!  Grin

Report Spam   Logged
Bertie

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 16:54:34 pm »

Used to go to loads, rarely do now. Some of the highlights. Kickers Offenbach 6 Bayern Munchen 0 in 1974, played in Frankfurt because Offenbach's ground not big enough. Munich had most of the 74 World Cup winning team and got absolutely stuffed.Beckenbauer, Gerd Muller, Meier et al. Siegfried Held (one of West Germany's 1966 final side) scored one for Offenbach.
Italy 10 USA 0, in Rome in about 1975.
Thailand 0 Poland 2 in 1983 in Bangkok.
The notorious Coventry 2 Bristol City 2 game in 76 when Cov deliberately delayed the kick off and then when the Everton Sunderland score came in, it transpired they needed a draw to stay up, and they and City just messed around for 20 minutes to ensure the score stayed at 2 each.   
Report Spam   Logged
Adam-NTFC

View Profile
Windows User
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 21:45:43 pm »

Done 3 Bolton games with a friend, all 3 away days at Birmingham clubs, 2 wins the year Bolton were relegated from the prem

Wolves 2 Bolton 3 - Bolton came from behind thanks to goals from a Petrov pen, Alonso and Kevin Davies, noted for a punch up between Roger Johnson and Wayne Hennessey

Villa 1 Bolton 2 - All 3 goals came in a mad 3 minute spell, Warnock put Villa in front then another Petrov penalty and a goal from N'gog swung the game

Birmingham 2 Bolton 1 - Lita scored first for Brum, Eagles equalized but a Marlon King penalty gave Birmingham the win and my good luck as a Bolton 'supporter' ended

Also regularly attend Gloucester City games with my dad, born in the city. Only been once since they share Whaddon Road with Cheltenham. They are in desperate need of a new ground back in Gloucester
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2016
Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 19:48:29 pm »

Could have got another one in tonight.  As we got five minutes away from our hotel in Lille, we hit traffic mainly consisting of cars full of blokes with scarves and discovered it is Lille against Porto in the Champions League.  We are just around the corner from the Grand Stade and had I realised, we could have left a couple of hours earlier and joined in the fun (0 - 0 at half time).

The website tells me it is only £15 a ticket and in one of the areas containing active supporters, the club warns to expect the supporters to be standing for much of the game.

An opportunity missed.  Sad
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 16:30:54 pm »

Also done quite a few in my mission to "do the 92".....had a spell following Manchester City in the late 80's and early 90's to check off a few grounds. Watched Romania v France in Euro 96 at St James Park Newcastle....and my most recent "neutral" game was Espanyol v Rayo Vallecano at the back end of last season whilst I was in Barcelona.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 19:45:26 pm »

Also done quite a few in my mission to "do the 92".....had a spell following Manchester City in the late 80's and early 90's to check off a few grounds. Watched Romania v France in Euro 96 at St James Park Newcastle....and my most recent "neutral" game was Espanyol v Rayo Vallecano at the back end of last season whilst I was in Barcelona.

The coincidences continue...Espanyol and Rayo Vallecano my two teams in Spain!
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 22:46:54 pm »

Tonight I was at the Aldershot/Woking derby game taking advantage of one of their 'executive' boxes.
0-1 to Woking in front of nearly 3600, with Chris Arthur on loan from Wimbledon playing for Woking and Brett Williams for the Shots....
Jaydon Gibbs, twin brother of Kieran, was impressive as MoM at right back?
The Aldershot team are now all part time and still struggling to survive....
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 16:11:36 pm »

Been to a lot of games as a neutral.

Recent ones include Spurs v Cheltenham and Guisley v Barrow in the FA Cup. Ticked off Selhurst a couple of years ago when they beat the Fen Dwellers 1-0.

Planning on ticking The Valley on 27th Sept watching Charlton v Middlesbrough.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 16:16:40 pm »

At Home Park today in the old wooden stand. Counted 65 from Hartlepool! Argyle won 2-0 but they struggled, wasn't overly impressed with them. People talk about the morgue at Sixfields but it was very similar here even though  they were in front for the majority of the game. Atd just over 6k spread over a stadium too large for purpose..... Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 18:02:38 pm »

Official figure from Hartlepool was 67 of a sparse 6147...
Report Spam   Logged

Baldy

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Combination
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 15:03:56 pm »

I was at Sunderland v Stoke City on Saturday. £30 for a very good view near the half way line. Now if I'd spent £75 at the club shop I would have got two free tickets for the game. I only spent £7.95 though and went to the game on my own. A good deal though if you've got mates.
Report Spam   Logged
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 06:05:37 am »

Been to a lot of games as a neutral.

Recent ones include Spurs v Cheltenham and Guisley v Barrow in the FA Cup. Ticked off Selhurst a couple of years ago when they beat the Fen Dwellers 1-0.

Planning on ticking The Valley on 27th Sept watching Charlton v Middlesbrough.

Went to The Valley, finished 0-0.

Two sets of fans that are passionate about their teams though, good atmosphere in the Stadium generated from all four sides.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 19:38:30 pm »

I was at Home Park again today, Plymouth won 1-0 but Carlisle deserved at least a point with what seemed more than the 55% possession quoted, demonstrating how close the standard is between the top and bottom of our division.
Att: 6,529 with 193 away fans making the longest journey in any of the top four divisions....
Report Spam   Logged

guest47

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 21:11:10 pm »

I was at Home Park again today, Plymouth won 1-0 but Carlisle deserved at least a point with what seemed more than the 55% possession quoted, demonstrating how close the standard is between the top and bottom of our division.
Att: 6,529 with 193 away fans making the longest journey in any of the top four divisions....

Fair play to the 193 but from what I've heard much of the total is a reunion exercise for exiled Carlisle folk
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 21:39:43 pm »

Fair play to the 193 but from what I've heard much of the total is a reunion exercise for exiled Carlisle folk

Similar for the Argyle fans when they play away...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: