The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 23:51:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Thread of its own: Cobblers and Saints

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thread of its own: Cobblers and Saints  (Read 3211 times)
sxcobbler

Proudtobe.

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« on: October 30, 2010, 22:56:43 pm »

I am glad we ground out a result today... a reward for it taking nearly 3 hours to get to Sixfields.

I was pissed off sharing the train from London with hundreds of Saints fans who were shouting that Northampton is a rugby town.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:30:27 am by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Let's show some Ambition !

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Tyler

Back when we were good...

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 23:04:45 pm »

I am glad we ground out a result today... a reward for it taking nearly 3 hours to get to Sixfields.

I was pissed off sharing the train from London with hundreds of Saints fans who were shouting that Northampton is a rugby town.

I was pissed off sharing 10 minutes on the Weedon road with the f***ers
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:30:48 am by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 09:55:42 am »

It is.  They sell out for home games, we barely fill half our allocation.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:31:01 am by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
Ted

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 10:11:50 am »

Of course it's a rugby town at the present time, but historically it's not.When we were in the top flight and even in the old second division, we regularly had crowds between 16 and twenty thousand.However, the Saints have invested wisely and provided a product that is far superior to that of the Cobblers.They should be applauded for that, and we must aspire to the same progress.As for their fans, as you know I attend Saints' games, and believe me they have their share of mongs, as do the Cobblers, but by and large they are a good sporting bunch.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:31:14 am by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
HertsCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 11:41:31 am »

You also have to remember that the Saints have a much wider catchment area as well!  If you go South the next major rugby clubs are Wasps and Saracens both "franchised" from their London homes. I even see a fair few Saints stickers in Harpenden.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:33:55 am by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Chamois

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 11:51:42 am »

There are lots of Saints fans here in Suffolk. It's a huge catchment area. At the same time ours has shrunk with the emergence of MK Dons. I'm sure that a large % of Saints' support comes from outside the town - cue train hordes making their way up - whereas we have a decent fanbase in Northampton. However, it's clear that many sports fans want to watch top-flight sport in a top-class venue and we cannot offer either of these for the moment. Back in 86-87 season our gates were far bigger than the Saints. It simply needs a successful side to bring out the extra 'fans'. There are some people who watch both Saints and the Cobblers - like Ted - but the vast majority are one or the other. I can't stand rugby, or the public school braying which goes with it, but the Saints are a well organised club so good luck to them. I'm only concerned by our own future. We have to be patient as fans. It often takes a good manager years to mould a succeesful squad. We will get there if we stay patient, but not by sacking managers every year.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:34:11 am by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

"Every Cobblers player is a potential hero, not the villain some portray him as" (to the sound of 'All Together Now').
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 11:54:49 am »

It is.  They sell out for home games, we barely fill half our allocation.

Whether we sell out our allocation or not is not the whole point by any means. If more people from Northampton go and watch 'a' football game on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon (and they do, I very much think) be it Sixfields, Emirates, Upton Park ER or Walkers...then it can't be by definition a 'rugby' town. Saints fans really grind me...wearing their his/her grubby egg stained Saints tops..matching jackets etc..no fashion sense..no singing support imagination..just  clogging up the Weedon Rd with there 4x4 Bandwaggons. Like to see if Mummy, Daddy and little Johnny Saint would be around, should the Saints fall from grace a league or two! Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:34:32 am by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Chamois

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 12:00:22 pm »

Of course they wouldn't. People are more obssessed than ever before with success, at all costs. Look at the differences in gates between Prem rugby and the second tier; in football the gap is between the Championship and League 1.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:33:37 am by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

"Every Cobblers player is a potential hero, not the villain some portray him as" (to the sound of 'All Together Now').
Ted

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 12:33:28 pm »

This really does need a thread of its own, as this one has been somewhat hijacked. I remember Steve Riches defining his support for the Cobblers and that for the Saints by saying that he likes the Saints but loves the Cobblers.This sums it up quite nicely for me also,and what people must realise is that it's a very different culture that follows the two sports.There is very little real passion from the majority of supporters at the Saints, and there is no doubt that for many it's just a place that you should go if you want to fit in to your own social clique.However, there are some Saints fans who do really care about the club, but even then the feelings are much less visceral than that of the loyal Cobblers fan. On the pitch the game of rugby has really advanced in recent years, with the advent of  professional rugby, we have seen the emergence of much fitter and stronger athletes participating, and subsequently the game has become much more pleasing to the eye.Football can learn a great deal from rugby in the way the game is played and the way that the players conduct themselves on and off the pitch.However,what we don't want is the mostly passionless support that goes to watch it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:33:25 am by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Marvo

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 13:07:57 pm »

Although I haven't been to a Saints game for several years now, I still like to see them winning because they represent our town and it would give me great pleasure to see them win the Championship for the first time in their history. I don't see them as a rival to the Cobblers, just another arm of the Northampton sports fraternity.

I actually think it's a shame that when they are playing at the same time as the Cobblers that the scoreline can't be given out. It would be far more relevant to me than hearing the half-time score of the Dagenham v Hartlepool game (for example).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:33:11 am by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 14:08:18 pm »

Like to see if Mummy, Daddy and little Johnny Saint would be around, should the Saints fall from grace a league or two! Roll Eyes
They were when they got relegated a couple of years ago
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:32:57 am by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Insider

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 14:24:10 pm »

Not all their home games have been sell outs this season and apparently they only had 200 fans at Sarries yesterday.  And did I not read somewhere that only 25% of their STHs live in the county?  That said it's still our home town team and I wish them well.  They have been very successful at building the franchise around the Saints brand. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:32:43 am by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Chamois

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 15:55:45 pm »

I would be amazed if they had ANY fans at Sarries yesterday; they were at home to Newcastle!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:32:28 am by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

WFCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 16:12:14 pm »

Yep, love Cobbs, like Saints, hope do well.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:32:17 am by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
WFCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 16:16:31 pm »

Saints are not a town or even county team but regional/national (a Chelsea or Man U). I went to see Cup final at Twickers and bought a seat for coach from chap in Hook Norton, Oxfordshire, says it all!!. Only 25% max live in/near town. If we count all footie clubs in same catchment area it swamps their crowds figures.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:32:05 am by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 18:40:27 pm »

They were when they got relegated a couple of years ago

That's why I put ''a league or two"...a single relegation in itself is unlikely to test any half baked fans' loyalty..but drawing comparisons with the Cobblers..several seasons down in the depths with Mossley, Rosslyn Park...or whoever..well..you can guess the rest!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:31:51 am by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 18:43:05 pm »

Can we employ the Saints to play up at Sincil Bank on Tue? Grin
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:31:34 am by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Positively Mad Mark

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 12:01:39 pm »

I dunno, I like to see Northampton on the map whether it's football, rugby or Britain in Bloom.

Football and rugby are two completely different cultures, it seems a shame that they have to compete in fans eyes to be better than each other. 

Saying that, football is better... Grin
Report Spam   Logged
sxcobbler

Proudtobe.

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 12:34:32 pm »

When I made the original comment ...it was because of the sheer number of Saints colours as opposed to Cobblers....if only we could reverse this trend.
It is a trend because success, particularly at a high level, attracts support.
As others have commented the catchment area is also totally different, stretching to London and Suffolk and beyond. I even see jokers walking around Harlow, Essex in Saints tops ( i liken it too Man Ure supporters...never been to Northampton in their life!....next year the Saracens or Leicester)

Talking to some of those around me on the train on Saturday...I commented that they had spent the journey talking about Football and Darts and not a word about Rugby. They were from Kent & Suffolk and were obviously new recruits to the 'cause", although nicely decked out in shirts and scarfs. But they did also think ours is a Rugby town along with all the other journeymen.

I pointed out with a similar benefactor that ran a tight ship and invested in the ground and had a team with shed loads of internationals on the bench & also as mere squad players....if we were in the top division, let alone 2nd /sometimes top of the Prem League we would be attracting far greater crowds than them ( as we witnessed in 65/66: high teens and many over 20,000 including the nightmare Fulham record of 24,500+.

Good Luck to them, I say ...as it is good for the town...as long as they don't tempt disillusioned Cobblers fans down the gardens. Come on cobblers ..one day maybe.
Report Spam   Logged

Let's show some Ambition !
Trotty

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 12:47:34 pm »

I've always thought this Northampton is a rugby town is rubbish. Yes the Saints are well supported but as has been said they are a world class club side and supported as such. I'm certain that there are more people in this town that prefer football to Rugby. They just aren't interested in the Cobblers.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: