The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 12:37:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Your not fit enough to referee

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your not fit enough to referee  (Read 1316 times)
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Combination
« on: October 20, 2014, 08:54:54 am »

Given that there is now clear footage available of the incident...and the fact that the ref was in a perfect position to see the assault on Toney, plus coupled with it ultimately leading to Wilder being ordered to the stands for the 2nd half...I believe that this warrants a thread of its own.

Did anyone else notice as well how he refused to allow either side to take a quick free kick for the entire duration of the match? Every time he blew his whistle, he spent around 30 - 60 seconds standing over the ball and then slowly getting himself into position before allowing the free kick to be taken?

I said on a few occasions during the match that I didn't think he was fit enough to be a ref, certainly not at pro level. He seemed to use the time prior to a dead ball situation to get his breath back. An absolute buffoon. And somebody who shouldn't referee again in the short term before he at least 'pays for this mistake' and gets himself to a level of fitness where he can keep up with play and allow a game to ebb and flow.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest49

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 09:27:44 am »

Michael Oliver would have given it  Tongue
Now that was an inept display.

It's not 100% clear if he was looking directly at the Toney incident. At least not to see the karate kick.
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 10:17:09 am »

I think that's a bit harsh about the Toney incident - I was sitting just behind the goal and didn't see it as a penalty at the time - it needs the video from the front of goal to see it for what it was, and even then you have to watch it a couple of times to believe the evidence of your own eyes. Also doesn't help that, as he often does, Toney goes down as though assassinated by a sniper's bullet. That said, I'd like to see more penalties given like the Shawcross one yesterday so that defenders don't just expect that they're going to get away with this kind of thing in the box. The instant booking of Ravenhill looked like a panic, s*** I've made a mistake kind of reaction.

Yes, the no quick free kicks was infuriating: the ref looked fitter than Phil Dowd, but that's not saying much!
Report Spam   Logged
NaggerPagger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:18:01 am »

Did anyone else notice as well how he refused to allow either side to take a quick free kick for the entire duration of the match? Every time he blew his whistle, he spent around 30 - 60 seconds standing over the ball and then slowly getting himself into position before allowing the free kick to be taken?

That's one of my pet hates. After a team commits a foul why should they be allowed time to organise themselves before the free kick is taken. The attacking team should be the ones to decide when its taken. All the ref needs to do is make sure its from the right place and if no advantage is gained from the attacking team he should allow it to be retaken if there were defenders within 10 yards. 
Report Spam   Logged
A view from the east

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 12:32:51 pm »

You can moan about referees all season , truth is its the luck of the draw.
There are bad ones and good ones and if we had won that game I doubt very much whether he would even have been mentioned on here.
We were crap again , they were better , that's the real story.
Move on and lets see if we can beat Oxford without needing a referees opinion to help us.
Report Spam   Logged
Alwaysdark

Isn't it good to be lost in the wood?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 13:25:58 pm »

The major problem is that if we made F ups after F ups in our jobs we would be sacked. Referees seem to get rewarded.

We should see more of this openness ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1173973/I-wrong-Ref-Webb-admits-shouldnt-given-United-penalty-Spurs.html
Report Spam   Logged

In the sad town
cold iron hands clap
the party of clowns outside.
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 14:18:24 pm »

You can moan about referees all season , truth is its the luck of the draw.
There are bad ones and good ones and if we had won that game I doubt very much whether he would even have been mentioned on here.
We were crap again , they were better , that's the real story.
Move on and lets see if we can beat Oxford without needing a referees opinion to help us.

I dont disagree. I said we deserved nothing from the game...

HOWEVER, that is a different discussion point. And doesn't mask over the ineptness of the idiot who officiated the match on Saturday.
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 15:09:52 pm »

Given that there is now clear footage available of the incident...and the fact that the ref was in a perfect position to see the assault on Toney, plus coupled with it ultimately leading to Wilder being ordered to the stands for the 2nd half...I believe that this warrants a thread of its own.

I said on a few occasions during the match that I didn't think he was fit enough to be a ref, certainly not at pro level. He seemed to use the time prior to a dead ball situation to get his breath back. An absolute buffoon. And somebody who shouldn't referee again in the short term before he at least 'pays for this mistake' and gets himself to a level of fitness where he can keep up with play and allow a game to ebb and flow.
I work with a lad who's cousin does the hospitality at Whaddon Road. I think the ref must have made use of their generosity pre match eh?
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 15:16:47 pm »

I dont disagree. I said we deserved nothing from the game...

HOWEVER, that is a different discussion point. And doesn't mask over the ineptness of the idiot who officiated the match on Saturday.

The Assesor would have submitted his report on his performance, this would be considered alongside his other assessments and action would be taken as appropriate if there is a trend or of a nature to provoke immediate action.  It might have been a one off sub standard (in your opinion) performance as can be applied to any player in any game(s).  His performance if considered a less than the standard expected for our game unfortunately doesn't help us but should assist his performance and the teams that he will officiate in the future.  

Having now watched the video again, the Ivan incident happened whilst the ball was not in play therefore should have attracted a caution or red card depending on the perceived serverity of the 'assault' but not a penalty kick.  Regarding your additional observations, I cannot comment as I was not there.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 17:42:24 pm »

We've had a bit of bad luck with refs recently and the decisions against us have been when the games been poised or indeed in our favour.

Accrington - ref failed to act on any of the time wasting until way into injury time. We lost by a single goal in the end.
Wycombe - Tozer sending off whilst we lead 1-0. Lost 2 points.
Cheltenham - above incident at 0-0. We go on to lose .

Regardless of the level of performance from our own players in these games...and I've been very critical in recent weeks...things could have turned out very differently if decisions had been reversed.

You need some luck in football...we are not getting any at the moment. That said, I guess we had a fair degree of luck at the start of the season so perhaps things have balanced themselves out?

Report Spam   Logged
tuks

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 18:08:29 pm »

I'll tell you what gets my goat. At the end of each 45 mins the ball goes out of play for a goal kick for instance ...... GK collects the ball, spots it up and hoofs it, only for the ref to blow for HT or FT.

WHY Huh??

As far as I am aware there is no rule that says the ball must be in play before the whistle can be blown???

Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 18:12:28 pm »

I'll tell you what gets my goat. At the end of each 45 mins the ball goes out of play for a goal kick for instance ...... GK collects the ball, spots it up and hoofs it, only for the ref to blow for HT or FT.

WHY Huh??

As far as I am aware there is no rule that says the ball must be in play before the whistle can be blown???

Easy, to make sure the official gets the ball at the end of the period of play....  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

tuks

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 18:17:25 pm »

why not just ask the goalie to chuck him the ball then??
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 18:52:51 pm »

why not just ask the goalie to chuck him the ball then??

Yeh, OK.....
Report Spam   Logged

guest48

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 20:14:30 pm »

We've had a bit of bad luck with refs recently and the decisions against us have been when the games been poised or indeed in our favour.

Accrington - ref failed to act on any of the time wasting until way into injury time. We lost by a single goal in the end.
Wycombe - Tozer sending off whilst we lead 1-0. Lost 2 points.
Cheltenham - above incident at 0-0. We go on to lose .

Regardless of the level of performance from our own players in these games...and I've been very critical in recent weeks...things could have turned out very differently if decisions had been reversed.

You need some luck in football...we are not getting any at the moment. That said, I guess we had a fair degree of luck at the start of the season so perhaps things have balanced themselves out?

Another thing on Saturday ,the 4th official indicates 5 minutes stoppage yet the ref plays only 4mins 40 secs. At Wycombe again its 5 minutes but the ref plays 8mins 30 secs.
    With the Toney incident the ref is looking straight at it , so that means one of two things ,A/ He didn't see it ,so you have to question his eyesight or B/ He didn't thing it was a foul despite their player blatantly kicking his legs away !
Report Spam   Logged
Baby Bear

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 20:18:09 pm »

I'm pretty sure there is such a rule.
Report Spam   Logged

@Babie_Bear_
Baby Bear

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 20:18:55 pm »

Ask Clive Thomas, if you don't believe me.
Report Spam   Logged

@Babie_Bear_
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: