The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 17:29:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Colchester comeback?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Colchester comeback?  (Read 12915 times)
Patmore

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #280 on: August 27, 2018, 16:34:01 pm »

This.

I think I'll feel happier when we've put together this kind of performance and obtained this kind of result on a more consistent basis.

Stating the obvious I know.

But we've had plenty of false dawns. And lets remember, we've only actually won once so far...

Don’t expect to feel happier any time soon then.

Consistent performance AND results, when playing open, attacking football is presumably the ultimate goal for every team on the planet. If you are honestly expecting him to produce that after 10 games and one transfer window of his first managerial job then I think you may need to prepare yourself for deep disappointment.

The approach is a positive one but it’s a work in progress and will be for for some considerable time. Try to enjoy  the journey.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3103

« Reply #281 on: August 27, 2018, 17:12:10 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #282 on: August 27, 2018, 17:46:51 pm »

You have seen most of the other squads in the division? After only five games of the season too.  And to the extent that you have gathered sufficient knowledge of each of them to rate against our own team?

Remarkable commitment. Well done Sir, well done.

In a way similar judgement you expressed on Cornell for example!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest3023

« Reply #283 on: August 27, 2018, 18:01:09 pm »

Don’t expect to feel happier any time soon then.

Consistent performance AND results, when playing open, attacking football is presumably the ultimate goal for every team on the planet. If you are honestly expecting him to produce that after 10 games and one transfer window of his first managerial job then I think you may need to prepare yourself for deep disappointment.

The approach is a positive one but it’s a work in progress and will be for for some considerable time. Try to enjoy  the journey.

I might be wrong of course but I feel you're being a bit pessimistic.

Despite my misgivings about certain areas of the team at present I still believe that overall the squad is good enough to mount a promotion challenge this season and believe that it will. Only the second half against Morecambe has been what a would call an 'awful' performance from the team and over the course of that match they still created enough chances to score a couple of goals. In fact I would say they should have scored a couple of goals.

I'd rather the team be creating plenty of chances and missing them than not creating very many. IMO the likelihood is that the chance-conversion rate will improve soon enough and with this regular wins will come.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 27, 2018, 18:45:15 pm »

Despite my misgivings about certain areas of the team at present I still believe that overall the squad is good enough to mount a promotion challenge this season and believe that it will. Only the second half against Morecambe has been what a would call an 'awful' performance from the team and over the course of that match they still created enough chances to score a couple of goals. In fact I would say they should have scored a couple of goals.

I'd rather the team be creating plenty of chances and missing them than not creating very many. IMO the likelihood is that the chance-conversion rate will improve soon enough and with this regular wins will come.

Actually the essence of Patmores comment is probably correct but as you rightly point out he (Patmore) does come across as a 'tad' pessimistic.  Iny case what we hope for and what we actually get are often two very different things. We wont get free flowing football to often as the opposition will try to prevent it; generally at any cost!  Of course the secret is to be on the winning side on a fairly consistent basis, that in itself is the true panacea; this happened of course under Wilder and the architect of most of the wins was Holmes.
Report Spam   Logged

Patmore

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 27, 2018, 21:04:03 pm »

I am not being pessimistic at all. I totally agree, the performances have been very pleasing on the eye on a consistent basis so far, and I’m really enjoying the football this year.

But marrying this with consistent results will not be easy. I’d love to see us go on a long unbeaten run now and it is certainly possible that they may.

However, realistically there are some issues. We have been wide open and will continue to get picked off in some games if we do not address the balance of the team just a little. Everyone knows we lack options in wide areas and most with an ounce of common sense would acknowledge that not addressing the goalkeeping position is a mistake that will continue to cost us goals/points in the coming months.

As for pessimism, if Col U had scored a late equaliser all hell woukd have broke loose on here (largely from the same group who are now proclaiming various tactical master strokes from the management), just like it did after Morecambe.

My point is simply that a more level headed approach is required all round. Don’t get too carried away when we win or completely lose your sh1t when we don’t. There will be good and bad days but if your belief right now is that we are moving in the right direction, be willing to give it time rather than massively over reacting to each individual result.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 27, 2018, 21:51:04 pm »

...etc.

My point is simply that a more level headed approach is required all round. Don’t get too carried away when we win or completely lose your sh1t when we don’t. There will be good and bad days but if your belief right now is that we are moving in the right direction, be willing to give it time rather than massively over reacting to each individual result.

Precisely, all you needed to say is this short summary.  Why waste time defending your right to be pessimistic when the above is 'spot' on as they say on here.  Of course we are not the picture perfect team as yet  or even near it but merely a progressive WIP.  In other words if we continue to improve then we may well end up as Champions again by April/May 2019. This is were DA's influence is critical and he maintains a consistent and supportive attitude to team  selection. It would not surprise me to see Tranmere adopt an entirely defensive strategy on Saturday with all the accompaning frustrations that brings.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 21:52:43 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

bri77

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 28, 2018, 06:34:59 am »

Breaking news

Cobblers fans happy after a win and annoyed after a defeat.

Who knew  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 28, 2018, 08:21:36 am »

Breaking news

Cobblers fans happy after a win and annoyed after a defeat.

Who knew  Roll Eyes

?
Report Spam   Logged

bri77

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 28, 2018, 08:27:43 am »

I'll spell it out a bit clearer for you then, you really should change your name.

There is a lot of moaning when the Cobblers lose as fans are disappointed and look for reasons for the defeats. (replace Cobblers for any team in the country)

When we win the fans are happier. (again replace us for any team)

Yet people like you feel the need to take a positive result and performance and try and point score off anyone that had voiced annoyance instead of just enjoying it. Depressingly predictable.

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 28, 2018, 08:33:44 am »

I'll spell it out a bit clearer for you then, you really should change your name.

There is a lot of moaning when the Cobblers lose as fans are disappointed and look for reasons for the defeats. (replace Cobblers for any team in the country)

Yet people like you feel the need to take a positive result and performance and try and point score off anyone that had voiced annoyance instead of just enjoying it. Depressingly predictable.

What on earth are you waffling on about??
Report Spam   Logged

bri77

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 28, 2018, 10:40:58 am »

Haha you really are a prize prick aren't you.

Report Spam   Logged
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 28, 2018, 14:14:26 pm »

Haha you really are a prize prick aren't you.

Here is an idea.

Why don't you two take your playground squabble somewhere more suitable. Or beat the living shit out of each other in a fully organised boxing match (without boxing gloves for all I care) on the market square. Maybe the bout can be refereed by one of our distinguished moderators and manwork can slip on his best spangly outfit and prance about with the round numbers?
Report Spam   Logged

Breathing will help you live.
guest3063

« Reply #293 on: August 28, 2018, 14:35:45 pm »

Here is an idea.

Why don't you two take your playground squabble somewhere more suitable. Or beat the living shit out of each other in a fully organised boxing match (without boxing gloves for all I care) on the market square. Maybe the bout can be refereed by one of our distinguished moderators and manwork can slip on his best spangly outfit and prance about with the round numbers?

Grin

I'll pay to watch.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 28, 2018, 14:39:53 pm »

Here is an idea.

Bit harsh Ron as I have no particular quarrel with Mr Bri. Certainly I would not use his abusive language aginst anyone!
Report Spam   Logged

Lukey

View Profile
Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #295 on: August 28, 2018, 15:06:27 pm »

At the end of the day, people pay money to see us play and are entitled to their opinion, just like if they brought a washing machine etc etc.

People are bound to moan when we lose unless we we totally dominated a game and lost via a deflection etc, a forum would be pointless if it said things like "well we lost 4-0 but I'm just happy that we have a club to watch"

The squabbling is childish and you can tell when its more personal than about football hence a lot of threads are full of arguments that have spilled over from other threads just taking up old ground, stricter moderators would be ideal but a lot of boards let members get away with stuff as they know it creates a bit of controversy and gets more posts, attention and maybe even a new member or two. Bulletin board management aint easy.
Report Spam   Logged

Prejudice cannot be hidden,
Arrogance for the color of skin.
Its ugly head is here again
Racism is lurking within.

"Cynthia BuhainBaello"
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #296 on: August 28, 2018, 15:22:01 pm »

Here is an idea.

Grin Fook me I bet you knocked one off when you typed that eh Franky boy
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 28, 2018, 15:33:42 pm »

Grin Fook me I bet you knocked one off when you typed that eh Franky boy

I managed two actually  Kiss
Report Spam   Logged

Breathing will help you live.
Patmore

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 28, 2018, 15:54:50 pm »

But it really is absolutely pathetic, isn’t it? Genuinely childish, steaming, hissy fits from grown men evey time we lose. Just embarrassing.

I guess you are right. Every club has it’s fair share of dickheads. It’s endemic of the modern demand for instant gratification I suppose but the sense of entitlement on display by so many, just makes me want to puke.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3023

« Reply #299 on: August 28, 2018, 16:13:57 pm »

I am not being pessimistic at all. I totally agree, the performances have been very pleasing on the eye on a consistent basis so far, and I’m really enjoying the football this year.

But marrying this with consistent results will not be easy. I’d love to see us go on a long unbeaten run now and it is certainly possible that they may.

However, realistically there are some issues. We have been wide open and will continue to get picked off in some games if we do not address the balance of the team just a little. Everyone knows we lack options in wide areas and most with an ounce of common sense would acknowledge that not addressing the goalkeeping position is a mistake that will continue to cost us goals/points in the coming months.

As for pessimism, if Col U had scored a late equaliser all hell woukd have broke loose on here (largely from the same group who are now proclaiming various tactical master strokes from the management), just like it did after Morecambe.

Good post, I'm probably more aligned with your thinking than I thought.

I keep a close track of the results of 1 or 2 other clubs and if you look at their forums the over-reacting, reasons for moaning and 'the-end-is-nigh' posts are more or very similar to what is posted on here at times.

For example, on this board and one of another club, both have had strong complaints about the managers manner during interviews and from this extrapolating that said manager is not up to the job! Any and every detail can and is analysed to death now by fans and at times some of this is pointless and comes across as looking for something to moan about.

During a season most teams will have bad results, bad patches of form and more than likely turn in some ineffective if not outright dreadful performances. To get too carried away by any of this, especially at this stage of the season I agree is a bit silly.

The team's moving in the right direction but I see it as being a work in progress with bumps in the road inevitable along the way. As long as they're in touch with the pack come February/March time it's how the team is shaping up and performing in the last 2-3 months of the season that is most crucial.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: