The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 20:35:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Macclesfield Away

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Macclesfield Away  (Read 11038 times)
Poggy

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #180 on: October 24, 2018, 09:14:10 am »

I was very impressed with Bridge last night. Had the beating of his man every time and gave him a torrid night.

A couple of superb finishes from Crooks and it really could have been 8 or 9 nil.

One thing I noted was how much the midfield helped the defence out. Far too often in recent years teams have just cut straight through the middle of us unopposed.

But it's good to see us play with purpose and as a team again after the DA reign. Still a lot to improve on but it's a start
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #181 on: October 24, 2018, 09:14:53 am »

OMG

Powell actually barged someone off the ball for his goal! What is Curlio feeding him?

Quality finishing from Crooks. Weird, maybe it's just his body style but he seems to move at half speed, even his finishes seem to hit the net in slow mo

Actually a well taken goal and he played well first half; began to tire a bit in the 2nd half. Am I alone in suggesting he is overweight?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #182 on: October 24, 2018, 09:16:27 am »

That's exactly what I want to do. Surely all the idiots who suggested we wouldn't create anything without Hoskins can see what a difference playing a footballer in his place can do?

With Facey and Morias to return, I'm hoping this season might bring some enjoyment.

Imagine they're the same people who believed Austin's "you think anyone will do better with that lot than me" line  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 24, 2018, 09:21:41 am »

I thought Cornell's early season form was poor - but then so was everyones.

Based on the highlights I've seen recently he's made some blinding saves - especially reflex type saves. There was one spill v MK but he got away with it and then the chase from goal v Mansfield (?) but not sure what else he could do there. Obviously I don't see his all round game, distribution, crosses etc but based on his primary role: stopping shots - he's not done much wrong lately

Well said
Report Spam   Logged

ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #184 on: October 24, 2018, 09:37:29 am »

DA was right though! We were about to give someone a tonking. Pity for him it came after he got sacked...

Nothing against the guy but that whole "no manager will get anything out of them" bullbizz shows how schoolboy he was. Curled is a breath of fresh air by comparison. Instant results and so much more assured and coherent in his interviews

Can't disagree with that. I maintain that if we had appointed Curle over the summer we would be sitting around the automatic places by now.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 24, 2018, 09:39:53 am »

That’s a load of bollocks - point scoring that old chest nut. Your praise has an underlying tone of faint praise for Cornell. Lord help him if he makes a mistake. My comment is not point scoring at all just informing you that Cornell made a great save. You simply can’t let go of your prejudices against Cornell.

Was it a 'great' save? A spot of hyperbole IMO. All the pluses from last nights performance and you highlight virtually the only thing Cornell - who was otherwise a virtual spectator - had to do all night.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 24, 2018, 09:55:25 am »

I thought Cornell's early season form was poor - but then so was everyones.

Based on the highlights I've seen recently he's made some blinding saves - especially reflex type saves. There was one spill v MK but he got away with it and then the chase from goal v Mansfield (?) but not sure what else he could do there. Obviously I don't see his all round game, distribution, crosses etc but based on his primary role: stopping shots - he's not done much wrong lately

Yes, Cornell has made 4-5 very good saves over the last 5-6 matches, maybe a couple of great ones. As you say though the better ones were 'reflex' saves which I think is notable as these such saves usually need a dose of fortune to be gotten away with.

Must disagree with your view that he hasn't done much wrong lately, because this is absolutely not true.

Bad mistakes in the last 5-6 league games:

v Mansfield - should have stopped first goal, terrible piece of keeping
v Mansfield - cost second goal after kicking his clearance against the attacker when the ball was 55-45 in his favour
v Mansfield - beat at near post for 3rd goal through legs from an acute angle, should have stopped this, awful keeping
v FGR - terrible decision making more or less gifted them their goal
v MK - Horrendous spill of the ball to the attackers feet from the easiest of balls into the box, only pure luck saved a certain goal

Here's a question. How many goals have we scored where the opposition keeper has ballsed up? 1? Zero?

The keeper shouldn't be making these kind of mistakes at this level, it's as simple as that.

Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #187 on: October 24, 2018, 10:00:54 am »

Was it a 'great' save? A spot of hyperbole IMO. All the pluses from last nights performance and you highlight virtually the only thing Cornell - who was otherwise a virtual spectator - had to do all night.

It wasn't a great save no. It was a good save. Totally unnecessary bringing Cornell into it and was totally point scoring from Evers. As it's done though, we were so much better than Macclesfield, I'd have fancied my chances of a clean sheet.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 24, 2018, 10:07:23 am »

I was very impressed with Bridge last night. Had the beating of his man every time and gave him a torrid night.

A couple of superb finishes from Crooks and it really could have been 8 or 9 nil.

One thing I noted was how much the midfield helped the defence out. Far too often in recent years teams have just cut straight through the middle of us unopposed.

But it's good to see us play with purpose and as a team again after the DA reign. Still a lot to improve on but it's a start

Agree with this, Bridge was excellent, after Crooks my MOM. Hoping this is a sign of things to come from him.

McWilliams looked good also, as did Powell who put in a much improved performance to go with an excellent all round team showing.

With no VV, Morias, Waters, Hoskins, Facey, Taylor or Barnett, in the starting line-up and Bunney out on loan Curle has got a wealth of options and  with a chance to bring in one or two faces of his own choosing in January we're shaping up pretty nicely.

Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #189 on: October 24, 2018, 11:03:31 am »

That’s a load of bollocks - point scoring that old chest nut. Your praise has an underlying tone of faint praise for Cornell. Lord help him if he makes a mistake. My comment is not point scoring at all just informing you that Cornell made a great save. You simply can’t let go of your prejudices against Cornell.
"Cornell made one great save early 1st half  tipping a pile drive volley over bar from Rose."
You were the one who mentioned Cornell, Fez never mentioned him. Talking of "Old Chesnuts" you forgot to mention the "Were you there ?" favourite of yours, I suppose you're keeping that for the next argument that you try to pick with someone  Sad
And yes, you are ALWAYS trying to point score !!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #190 on: October 24, 2018, 11:07:46 am »

Amazing what happens when we move away from players who run around a lot and create absolutely nothing (Hoskins, Waters) and start focusing on players with real end product (Crooks, Bridge).

Great result and well done to those who traveled.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #191 on: October 24, 2018, 11:35:55 am »

Powell has played up front alongside both vV and Williams at Oxford and last night respectively and played well both times. He was bought as a central forward originally...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
lordjord

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #192 on: October 24, 2018, 11:39:12 am »

Powell has played up front alongside both vV and Williams at Oxford and last night respectively and played well both times. He was bought as a central forward originally...

Bought to us as a centre forward? Really? I had only ever heard of him playing out wide. Either way we are reaping the benefits now!
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 24, 2018, 11:57:29 am »

Amazing what happens when we move away from players who run around a lot and create absolutely nothing (Hoskins, Waters) and start focusing on players with real end product (Crooks, Bridge).

Great result and well done to those who traveled.

Very true, though IMO Waters has got more composure and intelligence on the ball than Hoskins also and I fancy he could still prove to be a good player for us this season.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #194 on: October 24, 2018, 12:21:34 pm »

Bought to us as a centre forward? Really? I had only ever heard of him playing out wide. Either way we are reaping the benefits now!

Central forward not centre forward, slightly different...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 24, 2018, 12:25:35 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/breaking-cobblers-make-first-summer-signing-as-they-land-mk-dons-winger-daniel-powell-1-7948450

I remember him saying he plays as a striker when we signed him. Hardly a shock seeing him play there.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 24, 2018, 13:26:21 pm »

No, irony has never been your thing.

Or sarcasm yours
Report Spam   Logged

FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #197 on: October 24, 2018, 15:36:07 pm »

That seems to have touched a nerve Grin

If it wasn't point scoring why did you quote my tweet and mention something completely unrelated then?

I don't have prejudices against Cornell. I think we can do a lot better than him, but am hoping he proves me wrong and I'm open to changing my mind on that if his performances dictate that. It's as simple as that and I'm rather tired of making that point.

On the contrary, you don't seem to be able to let go of the fact that I've expressed an opinion - to the extent where I can post a positive comment after a 5-0 win and you still feel the need to bring it up.

I should add that you also seem remarkably smug for someone who posted that Ward was well worth a go yourself Wink
Report Spam   Logged
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #198 on: October 24, 2018, 15:41:05 pm »

Anyway, that's the last I'm posting on that subject.

The finishes from Crooks were superb. Good to see Powell elbow off the defender's challenge for his goal too, we know he has strength in the locker now and I'm hoping we see more of it. He has all the attributes to be a real nuisance at this level, and if he can just be a little more consistent he will be be a big asset.
Report Spam   Logged
claretparrot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #199 on: October 24, 2018, 15:49:01 pm »

Or sarcasm yours

*Nor

One point to me!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
  Print