The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 05:40:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

WRONG TEAM, WRONG SUBS, WRONG TIME...

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WRONG TEAM, WRONG SUBS, WRONG TIME...  (Read 1896 times)
Insider

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 00:09:10 am »

The manager is not the problem. The players weren't good enough tonight and that's why these potentially talented players - Thornton, Davis etc - are in the fourth tier.

So arguably are all the other players in this division.   Roll Eyes 

On the Morecambe thread you're saying that they are not fit; here you're saying they're no good.  Make your mind up.
Report Spam   Logged
Trotty

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 06:21:52 am »

Ultimately the manager needs to take responsibility for poor results but far too many players had bad games tonight and regardless of tactics and team selection, when you have 8 or 9 players below par you are always going to struggle.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 06:29:30 am »

You can't blame Sammo for the atrocious passing last night, I have never seen such pin-point inaccuracy.
Report Spam   Logged
Power Football

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 07:06:46 am »

You can't blame Sammo for the atrocious passing last night, I have never seen such pin-point inaccuracy.

No but i can blame him for our atrocious away record and shaky defence which has blighted our season.
Report Spam   Logged
Macc Cobbler

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 07:09:54 am »

Re the team selection, in midfield from Saturday, ideally I would have liked to have seen a straight swap of Wedderburn for Osman, assuming Wedderburn was fit so that the balance of the team was similar to Saturday where we looked the better team until we were reduced to ten men.
By bringinging in Thornton on the right, where he has shown in the past to be in the main ineffective, resulted in Jacobs having to play in midfield where currently he just gets lost. If he wanted to play both the answer would have been to have played Thornton in the middle and keep Jacobs wide on the right. I guess though that he was concerned with a Thornton/Walker partnership as a disaster. Re Davis his performance clearly showed left back is his best postion - the game just passed him by.
As have been said, by many, it was obvious, that the team selection, was not working ...... especially as Walker had such a stinker.
Re the rest of the team there could not be many arguments before the game, with Johnson (assuming he was fit) clearly better than Rodgers, and Hall having put in a couple of really good performances recently.

Where Sammo initially got it wrong was not making changes to the formation early on when things were clearly not working ......... for example, why not initially switch Thornton /Jacobs ......... and if that did not work make changes of personnel. Re his substiutions, it made sense to bring on Wedderburn,as it gave the team a better balance. I could understand why he wanted to substitute Davis, but why not do a straight swap with Holt. But why, oh why take off McKenzie who showed no sogns that he was struggling.

Finally it was highly questionable to make all three changes within a couple of minutes, especially so soon after going 3-2 up.

In conclusion, I do not think that I have seen such an inept tactical performance for a long time, this being compounded by abject performances by so many players. We just did the simple things so poorly.
Report Spam   Logged
Power Football

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 07:42:35 am »

It is frustrating watching us at the moment, mainly due to our inconsistancy. Yet, in the cold light of day is that any surprise given the average age of the squad.

The average age of the starting midfield last night was only 21.75. It's easy to forget just how young some of our players are, Jacobs (18) and Walker (21) are very much still learning the game. Wedderburn, who was the other obvious choice to partner Walker is only 19 himself.

Alan Hansen once said "You don't win anything with kids", of course he was famously proven wrong BUT does that saying hold water when it comes to the battlefield that is League 2???

Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 07:47:29 am »

It is frustrating watching us at the moment, mainly due to our inconsistancy. Yet, in the cold light of day is that any surprise given the average age of the squad.

The average age of the starting midfield last night was only 21.75. It's easy to forget just how young some of our players are, Jacobs (18) and Walker (21) are very much still learning the game. Wedderburn, who was the other obvious choice to partner Walker is only 19 himself.

Alan Hansen once said "You don't win anything with kids", of course he was famously proven wrong BUT does that saying hold water when it comes to the battlefield that is League 2???

Very good point, expectation on the young ones probably at the moment exceeds capability.
Next season?  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
DustCobb

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 07:48:19 am »

For me, the blame lies with the manager.

For the whole season i mean, also for our lack of tactical skill and our lack of any sort of plan b or c or d.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:59:52 am by DustCobb » Report Spam   Logged
Whytewell

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 07:49:27 am »

Grin Grin Grin (but spot on)
Report Spam   Logged
Wootton Fields Cobbler

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 08:19:18 am »

Sammo is very poor tactically. He was going to make the changes and then Leon scored to put us ahead. He should have then left it as it was as we had momentum. The subs then took that momentum away. Leon was obviously disappointed to be taken off having just scored and it removed any attacking force by bringing Holt on. Watching the players reaction to Sammo they dont seem to respect him and some of things he shouts are just stupid. He needs to calm down. I thought the starting 11 was the right choice but unfortunately too many players were off their game. There always seems to be a massive hole between the forwards and the centre of midfield and any balls that drop around the edge of the area are always cleared. That was also evident on Saturday even with Osman playing.
Report Spam   Logged
sxcobbler

Proudtobe.

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 08:46:29 am »

Well the time is nearly upon us, I would like to see what an experienced or tactically sound Manager ( and Assistant) would make out of our squad. The team is clearly under-achieving.

The team formations, tactics and above all the substitutions are more often than not ....quite simply unbelievable.

Nobody can now complain about the Chairman making a commitment, even if a bit late.

The season is clearly over unless this latest judder turns our attention back to the relegation zone, where teams are picking up points.

I, like you all, desperately want the Cobblers to do well and find this so so disappointing.

Changes must be made at the top if this situation is not rectified and we get the most out of players , playing them in their natural positions.

The attendance last night reflected a growing apathy that can only get worse, once we lose supporters enthusiasm it will be difficult to get them back. It's all been said before! Shame.

Report Spam   Logged

Let's show some Ambition !
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 08:50:47 am »

sammo out
Report Spam   Logged
DustCobb

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2011, 08:55:04 am »

sammo out

You can't say that, you'll get told off for not saying 'Sammo Out' when we beat Crewe 6-2.

Plus he is a legend, you can't say bad things about him it isn't allowed.

Sammo is the new Alf Ramsay.
Report Spam   Logged
Grove

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 08:56:45 am »

You can't say that, you'll get told off for not saying 'Sammo Out' when we beat Crewe 6-2.

Plus he is a legend, you can't say bad things about him it isn't allowed.

Sammo is the new Alf Ramsay.

AHHH the 6-2 though on reflection was a great score but still not a great performance,we got lucky that night
Report Spam   Logged
DustCobb

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 08:59:30 am »

AHHH the 6-2 though on reflection was a great score but still not a great performance,we got lucky that night

Now you're going to get told off for moaning about winning a game 6-2....just you watch.....

I fully agree with you though.
Report Spam   Logged
Forest

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 09:57:59 am »

This what makes me mad, we have one bad game which we DREW and everyone gets it, we were poor everyone knows that, players, fans, staff but to start slagging off the players aint going to help.
You telling me in your job you never have bad days?

A good run and we still might make the play offs ( unlikely but possible)

IF YOUR GOING TO MOAN DONT GO AND WATCH!

Report Spam   Logged
DustCobb

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 10:06:20 am »

ONE bad game where we were poor? Are you sure.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2011, 10:09:12 am »

the league table doesnt lie

neither does the current form guide

Report Spam   Logged
Daffy Duck

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2011, 10:16:02 am »

This what makes me mad, we have one bad game which we DREW and everyone gets it, we were poor everyone knows that, players, fans, staff but to start slagging off the players aint going to help.
You telling me in your job you never have bad days?

A good run and we still might make the play offs ( unlikely but possible)

IF YOUR GOING TO MOAN DONT GO AND WATCH!

It wasn't that we were bad, its that it was obvious that we needed to change something (most easily swap Jacobs & Thornton early on) but we did NOTHING!
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2011, 10:23:15 am »

Our record since we went out of the FA cup (so since the end of Nov) is:

P11 W5 D4 L2

This isn't too bad, but prior to December our league form was woeful.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: