The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 12:46:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Kieth Curle Post Honeymoon period

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Kieth Curle Post Honeymoon period  (Read 8279 times)
MunchyMagic

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2018, 16:38:19 pm »

Thanks Munchy - a decent enough counter to Mr Brys effort where I gained the impression that he was representative of your board! Bit misleading there Shocked; he also sounded a bit bitter? Pleased you made the effort as it puts things in perspective.

No problem mate.

One thing we did notice up here was that when there was a period of drawing too many and the odd loss folk were saying that Curle had lost the dressing room then we would maybe win seven on the trot afterwards, he always made it hard for the board to sack him as he always turned it around.

When he saved us from certain relegation (our squad was far worse than what you currently have) in his first part-season was an amazing feat and what I really appreciated is that in the next few seasons we were there or about around the top of the table and when we did not grab promotion it was always a case of being in with a chance up until the last couple of games for promotion meaning the season stayed alive until the end.

You've got a good manager there, yes he does tinker at times but so what, the best managers do this as we do not know what goes on in training and what they see in the week.

He will not tell you what reason and why he leaves players out which infuriated people up here but normally it was because they were injured and did not want to give the opposition that knowledge and that is normal practice, rumours fly around that he has fell out with said player however.

When we were still in with a chance of promotion some guy unfurled a Curle out banner in Brunton Park and got ejected, his prerogative I guess but clubs of our side in with a shout of promotion doesn't happen that often so that baffled me as well.

Sheridan is doing okay for us but he is no Curle.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2018, 17:43:45 pm »

More or less what you would expect from Clarkey: I have commented against each analysis in red

Hahahaha
Report Spam   Logged
bluebry

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 2
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2018, 18:20:56 pm »

No problem mate.

One thing we did notice up here was that when there was a period of drawing too many and the odd loss folk were saying that Curle had lost the dressing room then we would maybe win seven on the trot afterwards, he always made it hard for the board to sack him as he always turned it around.

When he saved us from certain relegation (our squad was far worse than what you currently have) in his first part-season was an amazing feat and what I really appreciated is that in the next few seasons we were there or about around the top of the table and when we did not grab promotion it was always a case of being in with a chance up until the last couple of games for promotion meaning the season stayed alive until the end.

You've got a good manager there, yes he does tinker at times but so what, the best managers do this as we do not know what goes on in training and what they see in the week.

He will not tell you what reason and why he leaves players out which infuriated people up here but normally it was because they were injured and did not want to give the opposition that knowledge and that is normal practice, rumours fly around that he has fell out with said player however.

When we were still in with a chance of promotion some guy unfurled a Curle out banner in Brunton Park and got ejected, his prerogative I guess but clubs of our side in with a shout of promotion doesn't happen that often so that baffled me as well.

Sheridan is doing okay for us but he is no Curle.

Dammm,
You've found me Munchy, just when I thought I would get away with saying a few things.
You see folks me and Munchy will always disagree about Curly Chops, I think in the past they've been secret lovers  Grin
I was not trying to put Curly down too much only pointing out what you lot as fans will have to endure.
As munchy says I do work where the squad trains, so I do get to know the squads very well, and I got to know KC very well as well. And (cover your eyes here Munchy) I did actually quite like Keith, he was always polite and gracious and always took great interest in what I was doing. My biggest grievance (as with any manager) was the chopping and changing of the squad, Munchy was saying that it was normally due to injuries which I'm afraid is complete rubbish, it was down to Keith thinking he could outsmart the opposition which leads me back to the big squad/premiership attitude, that he had.
As Munchy was saying there is a hell of a lot I could divulge about the goings on over the last few years, but I think I'll leave it at that.
I suppose at the end of the day its about opinions, Munchy obviously loved him to bits, myself and a good 50% of our support thought differently, which is probably the reason most of us love this bloody stupid game.         
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2018, 18:29:04 pm »

More or less what you would expect from Clarkey: I have commented against each analysis in red

I'm glad you find it 'most likely correct' that Ward and Coddington are unproven at league level. With their combined 1 appearance I was unsure on that particularly point.

Why do you think it was a silly comment about Bowditch?
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
MunchyMagic

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2018, 18:47:50 pm »

Dammm,
You've found me Munchy, just when I thought I would get away with saying a few things.
You see folks me and Munchy will always disagree about Curly Chops, I think in the past they've been secret lovers  Grin
I was not trying to put Curly down too much only pointing out what you lot as fans will have to endure.
As munchy says I do work where the squad trains, so I do get to know the squads very well, and I got to know KC very well as well. And (cover your eyes here Munchy) I did actually quite like Keith, he was always polite and gracious and always took great interest in what I was doing. My biggest grievance (as with any manager) was the chopping and changing of the squad, Munchy was saying that it was normally due to injuries which I'm afraid is complete rubbish, it was down to Keith thinking he could outsmart the opposition which leads me back to the big squad/premiership attitude, that he had.
As Munchy was saying there is a hell of a lot I could divulge about the goings on over the last few years, but I think I'll leave it at that.
I suppose at the end of the day its about opinions, Munchy obviously loved him to bits, myself and a good 50% of our support thought differently, which is probably the reason most of us love this bloody stupid game.         

When am back up and about I will have to pop up and have that pint Bry and any of your anti-Curle crap then I'll order something from the top row and when you turn around I will t wat you with my crutch lol Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2018, 18:49:17 pm »

This is turning into more of a Carlisle Forum than a Cobblers one  Grin

Keep up the good work MunchyMagic and bluebry.  
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2018, 18:55:16 pm »

I'm glad you find it 'most likely correct' that Ward and Coddington are unproven at league level. With their combined 1 appearance I was unsure on that particularly point.

Good response - yes that one made me spit out my tea as well .......
Report Spam   Logged
bluebry

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 2
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2018, 19:02:11 pm »

When am back up and about I will have to pop up and have that pint Bry and any of your anti-Curle crap then I'll order something from the top row and when you turn around I will t wat you with my crutch lol Smiley

Your feet wont touch the ground mate my rapid response team will have you out the door before you can say Keith Curle is useless?Huh?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
MunchyMagic

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2018, 19:13:27 pm »

Your feet wont touch the ground mate my rapid response team will have you out the door before you can say Keith Curle is useless?Huh?  Grin

In that case I will stick to regular tap beer thanks - the lads that frequent your place that I have seen are Carlisle United legends and hard looking rugby playing chaps, you probably served me when I was there.

Will say hello when am up there pal, don't get there too often but a few of my mates live in the area and drink in there often so you will probably know them all.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2018, 19:24:48 pm »

Why do you think it was a silly comment about Bowditch?

It’s a risk signing a non league player so it was a lazy way out saying ‘likely correct’ however perhaps I should have done is remember ‘Vardy’. Regarding Bowditch he has been a failure but to use a throw away comment like using Christmas as an example is a cheap bite! Would have been better to criticise the signing or even just say waste of a contract!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 19:26:29 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest3245

« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2018, 00:17:35 am »

OK.... The Honeymoon is over.  I get that.

There are no more tin-cans tied to the exhaust of the Munster-Mobile.

The 12-pack of Condoms is all-used up.

Y-fronts now get worn beyond 24 hours.

But, you know what......Huh?Huh?

We have the best man for the job.

What kind of scum are our "supporters" that they even resort to this kind of post?

Get behind the best Manager we have had in years.....

Else suffocate up your own rectum.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2018, 04:39:01 am »

OK.... The Honeymoon is over.  I get that.

There are no more tin-cans tied to the exhaust of the Munster-Mobile.

The 12-pack of Condoms is all-used up.

Y-fronts now get worn beyond 24 hours.

But, you know what......Huh?Huh?

We have the best man for the job.

What kind of scum are our "supporters" that they even resort to this kind of post?

Get behind the best Manager we have had in years.....

Else suffocate up your own rectum.

Im struggling to find any posts that suggest he's not made a very fine start, including my own initial one. The odd one about style of play which have been countered. Probably confusing the Carlisle contribution with our own fans, maybe?

No ones advocating anything.

My initial point was a follow up from the debate of old, about a new managers impact/bounce. I've previously made the point that under each of the previous 4 managers (Page, JE, JFH, Austin) our start has been alright each time, but none of them have sustained it. KC's start has been the most impressive, and it also follows the worst sustained run of bad form.

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2018, 13:17:29 pm »

Im struggling to find any posts that suggest he's not made a very fine start........

You wrote that at 5.40am - fantastic effort! What do you think Frank about such an early riser?
Report Spam   Logged

bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2018, 18:10:31 pm »

Following JFH, Austin etc, Curle is exactly the kind of manager we needed: pragmatic, experienced, tough. His style of play is fairly primitive ATM and appears to involve hoofing it into the channels and playing the percentages.

However, the players appear to enjoy the clarity and simplicity of the instructions after Austin's total football approach and JFH's pseudo-premier league catenaccio.

Hopefully the current defensive woes are just a blip in an otherwise upward sweep.

In many ways this is reminiscent of when Hoofroyd took over from Johnson and I wouldn't be surprised if Curle's Cobblers career follows a similar trajectory. Let's just hope that, unlike dear old Aidy, Curle is eventually able to evolve.
Report Spam   Logged
MunchyMagic

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2018, 19:22:02 pm »

Following JFH, Austin etc, Curle is exactly the kind of manager we needed: pragmatic, experienced, tough. His style of play is fairly primitive ATM and appears to involve hoofing it into the channels and playing the percentages.

However, the players appear to enjoy the clarity and simplicity of the instructions after Austin's total football approach and JFH's pseudo-premier league catenaccio.

Hopefully the current defensive woes are just a blip in an otherwise upward sweep.

In many ways this is reminiscent of when Hoofroyd took over from Johnson and I wouldn't be surprised if Curle's Cobblers career follows a similar trajectory. Let's just hope that, unlike dear old Aidy, Curle is eventually able to evolve.

Sounds like he is working out what he has got, Curle controversially hounded out two of our players on arrival (Dicker and Paynter) both on big money but they were made to do extra training and whined to the FA and they were soon jettisoned - Dicker was fairly decent but Paynter was a waste of space, yet they fell foul of Curle and you rarely come back from that.

Any 'sulkers' will be firmly kicked in the bollocks and will be gone come January.

The weirdest thing for me is that Curle was never sacked by Carlisle United, managers normally get the chop or move onto better things but mutually agreeing to end a contract is an odd one, especially when you are a top ten side.

Even stranger is that he took over a pile of crap that was not even Conference North quality (seriously) brought in Asamoah and the rest is history.

Odd that we ended up with a far better squad than what our previous manager left us with so I am grateful for that too Smiley
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 19:24:26 pm by MunchyMagic » Report Spam   Logged
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2018, 11:30:45 am »

You wrote that at 5.40am - fantastic effort! What do you think Frank about such an early riser?

It's none of my business.
Report Spam   Logged

Breathing will help you live.
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2018, 14:47:34 pm »

It's none of my business.

Don’t tell me the afternoon 3pm lethargy has got to you as well?
Report Spam   Logged

Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2018, 15:18:32 pm »

Don’t tell me the afternoon 3pm lethargy has got to you as well?

Yes, I am all twitchy. Some parts more than others.
Report Spam   Logged

Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2018, 11:13:33 am »

Interesting quote below from a recent KC interview. I wonder if this type of conversation is better a little nearer the time.

“We will have discussions with the players individually on Thursday because I’m dealing with a changing room that has got someone else’s profile on it.
Report Spam   Logged
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2018, 14:58:24 pm »

I’m dealing with a changing room that has got someone else’s profile on it.

A quick slap of paint should fix that.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: