The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 13:11:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Orient Tuesday night

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orient Tuesday night  (Read 6647 times)
EB Claret

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2020, 14:02:20 pm »

It wasn't a foul because it wasn't given. We can talk about the merits of it all day, the fact is the referee blew for the obvious handball which resulted from the less than obvious (to him and his assistant at least) push in the back.

I think it's safe to assume that the Ref and Lino were caught ball watching and so missed the foul on Wharton but saw the ball hit his arm. The two players that started the melee were probably the ones least guilty of violent conduct but got red cards. The one real 'violent' act of the entire game was the challenge on Anderson in the first half and that only resulted in a yellow.

You are right though, it's gone now and the team must just move on.
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2020, 14:44:51 pm »

I don’t have too much to add to what has already been said here on this thread. Ultimately it was very disappointing not to extend the winning run, particularly in that  somewhat unjust fashion.

One thing I will add is that we looked decidedly weaker after our substitutions and those coming on seemed to have a lesser understanding of their roles than those who started the game. I few Curle needs to do a lot of work with Joe Martin, who played extremely ineffectively as a defender in that game (as he has done generally this season). He neither presses the ball with any intensity, nor covers/marks the correct spaces. As a full back, you cannot drift doing neither one thing nor another, as it invites cross after cross if you give too much space. In this sense he reminds me of Joe Bunney, albeit without the attacking prowess. We’d better start Hall-Johnson over Martin against Derby else he’ll be on toast
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2020, 15:56:12 pm »

Looking at the highlights his arms were in a natural jumping position until he was pushed. It's once he is knocked off balance and is on his way down that he swings his arm.
Report Spam   Logged

Robas

View Profile
100 Posts Poll Voter Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2020, 16:55:09 pm »

A strange game as the Cobblers were in total control in the first half, yet really did not work the Orient keeper very much at all.

The early miss by Warburton was very poor, it really should have been put away. Over the ninety minutes he failed to impress me at all. To me he is not very mobile and takes too much time on the ball and I doubt he is really up to this level. I hope I am wrong.

The second half saw a slow increase in the influence of Orient and the later substitutions only helped to increase this influence, especially as Adams, Anderson and Oliver had been very influential. Pressure built and the result was a very strange penalty.

Watching from the stands all I saw was the handball and did not notice any push on Wharton, but could not understand why he had handled it. I’ve watched the replay a number of times and,yes, he was pushed, but it does not seem absolutely blatant to me. Probably just one of those things.

What is not one of those things is what happened after the penalty. Players grabbing the ball and trying to take it back to the centre spot is often a source of conflict. Thinking about it, I would make this a yellow card offence on the basis that possession now lies with the team that has conceded. This would remove the possible conflict.

Wharton lost it, albeit provoked. I thought it would be a red card given what had happened, but in the cold light of day he must regret it, even if he feels aggrieved. His absence just highlights the fact that desperately need another CB for the remainder of the season in any event.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2020, 17:16:21 pm »

Looking at the highlights his arms were in a natural jumping position until he was pushed. It's once he is knocked off balance and is on his way down that he swings his arm.
I've seen it again now on the highlights and it only confirms what I thought last night.
If you set out to deliberately handle a ball above your head you would not rotate your arms in the way Wharton does. To me that's clearly a shove on the back whilst he's airborne. That causes him to forwards rotate and the arms then come out and over his shoulder as you would expect.  It may not have been a particularly forceful push but it was enough, their guy knew exacy what he was doing.
With regard to the fracas afterwards, both players go to retrieve the ball but Wharton gets dumped against the post. Angry and already aggrieved, cue the 'tackle'.
It won't get overturned on appeal.
I think HJ can come in and do a job, shame he plays on the opposite side though. Forget Williams, that's not happening.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3330

« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2020, 17:41:51 pm »

Turnbull on the left as he’s naturally left footed, Goode in the middle and RHJ on his preferred right hand side.
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2020, 19:14:56 pm »

Turnbull on the left as he’s naturally left footed, Goode in the middle and RHJ on his preferred right hand side.

I agree with this. I think RHJ has the makings of a good player. Would prefer Wharton obviously, but RHJ might be able to do a job for us. Personally I prefer him to Williams.

Regarding Wharton's sending off, once he grabbed the Orient player and they fell to the ground it seemed inevitable, whether or not there was any real violence. While he should have controlled himself there's no doubt that Wharton had to put up with more than his fair share last night, not only for the push in the face he received in the first half and the unfair penalty decision. He was also bustled off the ball as he went to pick it out of the net and that was what made him lose his temper and grab their player.
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2020, 19:16:03 pm »

Oh and no more Joe Martin, please. He really is a liability.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2020, 19:21:25 pm »

I'm sorry, he was not "bustled off the ball"....the Orient player had it in his hands and was moving away from the goal when Wharton grabbed him around the shoulders and neck from behind and tried to wrestle it off him!

And who is the Cobblers player who does take the ball out of the Orients players hands with his foot whilst he is lying on the floor and promptly boots it out off the pitch?

https://twitter.com/DanAuton2590/status/1219734891295903746
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2020, 19:37:11 pm »

I'm sorry, he was not "bustled off the ball"....the Orient player had it in his hands and was moving away from the goal when Wharton grabbed him around the shoulders and neck from behind and tried to wrestle it off him!

And who is the Cobblers player who does take the ball out of the Orients players hands with his foot whilst he is lying on the floor and promptly boots it out off the pitch?

https://twitter.com/DanAuton2590/status/1219734891295903746

That’s Joe Martin, and it was pretty funny actually. By far his best contribution as a cobblers player.

Bit  disappointing that some of the players didn’t rush in to back Wharton straight away - aside from Goode, Cornell and Watson. The Orient players all went straight in but there was a few cobblers players trundling over; in that type of situation it should be one for all and all for one surely
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2020, 19:44:08 pm »

That’s Joe Martin, and it was pretty funny actually. By far his best contribution as a cobblers player.

Bit  disappointing that some of the players didn’t rush in to back Wharton straight away - aside from Goode, Cornell and Watson. The Orient players all went straight in but there was a few cobblers players trundling over; in that type of situation it should be one for all and all for one surely

Yes, having seen the videos from in front and behind now that is noticeable. Watson was certainly getting stuck in and also raised his hands, as did a number of Orient players of course. Hoskins ended up on the floor, nothing new there!

Wharton still was beaten to the ball even though he was at least 5 yards inside the area when the penalty was struck!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2020, 19:45:53 pm »

Agree with you - Cometh the hour cometh the man ..............RJH for me, at least he is quick!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest2995

« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2020, 20:04:08 pm »

Although Wharton was silly to get involved and risk being sent off, we do have to remember some of our players are quite young .
If I was his age , I would have smashed their bloke and told the ref to go forth .
Never mind , hopefully he will learn and someone else will step up
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2020, 14:52:59 pm »

The official appeared to have been blindsided for the 'handball' that lead to the penalty so was unable to see the push in the back, that caused the handball, which is shown clearly on the video.  Shame, but he only gave what he saw and to be honest I could only see the hand in the air amongst all the players from where I was in the stand.

Regarding the red cards following the penalty, it was interesting watching it from the side but having now seen the footage from behind the goal it appears that Wharton 'forcefully' attempted to retrieve the ball from the Leyton player putting him on the floor.  Another Leyton player came in at speed and 'rugby tackled' Wharton into the advertising hoardings.  Then we had the melee/free for all, which looked mainly handbags.  Wharton and the rugby tackler being red carded was probably a justifiable sanction from the officials perspective.
There probably could have been a few more cautions in there as well but the officials only have two pairs of eyes and normally will concentrate their efforts on the two main protagonists.

I believe that the Cornell caution was a case of 'unlucky', the official was probably getting fed up with our delay and wasting time tactics and was looking for someone to card, unfortunately Dai Cornell was the one in the vicinity of the ball when he'd decided that he'd had enough.  It could have been any of a number of ours.  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2020, 16:26:36 pm »

New look Chronic:
https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/curle-explains-why-cobblers-wont-appeal-whartons-red-card-1373740
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2020, 19:08:20 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/cobblers-fined-fa-after-failing-control-their-players-orient-draw-1382054

Surprised that we both received the same level of fine?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: